91 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

Yep, Russ announced it at the event.

Could be good.....

EDIT: Would be the perfect way to introduce Solaris VII. Posted Image They ninjad the clan mechs.....

https://youtu.be/v3xR_Ugat1w

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 12 December 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#2 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:48 AM

Not really IMHO this is a joke. Even with a $100,000 grand prize.

MWO will NEVER be the E-Sport Russ want's it to be. This mentality is one of the things killing this game. If they would put that on the back burner and actually start adding in CONTENT then maybe just maybe we would get more people.

The latest Turk Results show just how low our population really is. How many comp units were there?

I mean there are over what 500k people registered to play this game and we can not even break 20K? Hell there were 75k founders alone.

Until PGI realizes this game need more than mech packs, the E-Sports will never happen.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 12 December 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#3 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

"world championship" .... game doesn't go outside of europe and NA.

#4 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

View PostKira Onime, on 12 December 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

Good Point Posted Image

#5 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:59 AM

What is this....DOTA with mechs now? MUCH RATHER...see more fine tuning of the current pvp systems and skill tree reinvigoration and more work on pve coop pve. Man..market those pve missions... ppl will BUY those for sure.

#6 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostKira Onime, on 12 December 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

They call it the world series in baseball soooooo....

Oceanic might have a place. Of course hard to tell which teams are good and which ones are just patient enough for the 45 minute wait time on matches.

#7 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

If only they had different team sizes, 4s and solos especially.

#8 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 12 December 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

They call it the world series in baseball soooooo....

Oceanic might have a place. Of course hard to tell which teams are good and which ones are just patient enough for the 45 minute wait time on matches.

Hmm indeed.. I forgot about OCE.
Still.

I don't agree with the baseball term as well.

#9 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:03 AM

Well... there's a lot to be said about this. I think the most interesting question is whether or not they'll handle the championship professionally, with good presentation of matches, good commentators, well handled spectator videos, good enough publicity on the website and social media, etc. Will the matches be available on YouTube for everyone to stay tuned, or will it just be a bunch of Twich streams with a few dozen people watching? Will this feel like a proper esports event, or will it be similar to earlier events, which were all a bit... amateur hour.

Posted Image

Another question is whether the huge cash prize will result in more innovative ways of cheating in the preliminary rounds. It won't be an issue in the final match, since it'll take place under PGI supervision, but it could potentially be an issue earlier.

It's certainly a brave gamble. I don't know how I feel about $100,000 being squandered on this attempt to make MWO an esport and to gain some attention in the worldwide gaming community. For all the people arguing that we need to keep buying mech packs to keep the game alive, it may feel a bit pointless if this huge gamble doesn't pay in the end.

It's also happening very soon, which I feel is kind of a mistake, because it gives experienced players less time to form new teams, and new players less time to get into the game.

But now I guess we're going to get the answer to whether or not the über-1337 Steam player master race could destroy any MWO comp team, if they just had a few days of practice. That's pretty much been a myth on the forums for a while, so... we'll see if the big bad wolf finally arrives to steal our lunch money.

#10 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:04 AM

And People wondered where the money was going to?

What do you think the total price tag of this is going to be, and how could it have been better invested into the game itself to FIX problems that have been around since closed beta, like I do not know, The Jenner being shot from behind but yet it still takes front CT damage? 4 Hit Box "Fixes" and this bug is still in the game.

#11 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

The problem is that the invested work that needs to be done to make it a "good" event will never pay out, because there is no real audience. I think the guys at PGI overestimate MWO and are taking a big risk. The playerbase is small. This is a niche title. Even with the steam release, there was no great influx of new players.

I'm not against such events but I don't see any merit because it's a lose-lose situation. If PGI pulls this off, does a professional job and gets it done perfectly, the following bill will be pretty high, too. And I don't think that even a perfect event would get more that a few thousand viewers to make it worth the investment.

On the other hand: If PGI doesn't put in some serious work and does a "minimal viable job", it will just be additional fuel for the things which PGI can be criticized for.

Nonetheless, I hope PGI reaches their goal for this event. Whatever their aiming for.

#12 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:36 AM

The gamble on eSports is pretty worrying, I mean I suspected PGI of incompetence before but now it just seems like delusions of grandeur

The game is nowhere near polished enough to bring in an eSports crowd, I mean it only recently even got a spectator mode...

Edited by Yosharian, 12 December 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#13 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 12 December 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

Not really IMHO this is a joke. Even with a $100,000 grand prize.

MWO will NEVER be the E-Sport Russ want's it to be. This mentality is one of the things killing this game. If they would put that on the back burner and actually start adding in CONTENT then maybe just maybe we would get more people.

The latest Turk Results show just how low our population really is. How many comp units were there?

I mean there are over what 500k people registered to play this game and we can not even break 20K? Hell there were 75k founders alone.

Until PGI realizes this game need more than mech packs, the E-Sports will never happen.

This is not the 5th microsoft title, get over it.

#14 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 12 December 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

This is not the 5th microsoft title, get over it.

No Sarcasm here but whats your point?

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 11 December 2015 - 08:40 PM, said:

Yep, Russ announced it at the event.

Could be good.....

EDIT: Would be the perfect way to introduce Solaris VII. Posted Image They ninjad the clan mechs.....

And that is what is entirely wrong with the focus of this game. No wonder we have 4-Mech Clan Lances. Posted Image

#16 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

I will cheer them on. Without Solaris in game there is not much interest from me to be very honest. I don't want to be a spoil sport about it either that's just how it is at the moment.

If it effects the sim at all then this reaction turns to negativety and anger lol. :) If this is why the "QUICK PLAY" button is there instead of a proper "LAUNCH" button then this sentiment turns to outrage and disgust. :) I am laughing at coming up with words for my disapointment at button names. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 12 December 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#17 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

Im sure a lot of competitive players will be interested in a championship where both teams just boat LL/LPL/MPL in the same 3 mechs.

#18 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Imho this is a waste of money. I mean 100 grants, thats almost half a new map!

jokes aside, I doubt this will get any more media attention, evem if 100k is quite a price. In the end you'll get emp vs sjr...

and presentation and professionalism is a must for this. I don't want to dis anyone who made that last tourney from homeless bill, and those guys really put some effort into it, but this should be a leaque higher so to speak to have any meaningful impact on esport and mwo in the public.

Edited by 627, 12 December 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#19 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

Solaris has always been a part of the universe. That's all this is.

CW Phase 3 looks promising for those of us into the war side of the universe, though.

#20 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

The 100k was just a make-believe number, right? They aren't actually going to have a six-figure prize pool for this, are they?
I am really quite sad that we are dumping all the money given to PGI into e-sport fantasies and not into making this a mechwarrior game. I haven't been on the bandwagon until now, that this is really becoming more COD with robots. Sad day...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users