I Don't Like This Hero-Exclusive Ecm Stuff.

284 replies to this topic

#21 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 December 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

It was a PGI bashing post.

That makes it no less silly Posted Image

I mean if you don't like PGI, don't like MWO, and don't like the concept of F2P... wth are you doing here? Posted Image

#22 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

It's the first Heavy that interested me in a long time. The fact that it's a hero isnt a problem, it's a bonus, 30% bonus to be exact and the pattern looks more sober like the protector and i really like that.

#23 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostcSand, on 16 December 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

That makes it no less silly Posted Image

I mean if you don't like PGI, don't like MWO, and don't like the concept of F2P... wth are you doing here? Posted Image

If they are spending money then you should want them to stay.

#24 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

I'll be okay with them removing the ECM from it, if they give it the Ghost Mech quirk instead, where enemy shots automatically miss it (by giving it ACH hitboxes, instead of ARC hitboxes).

But seriously, there are bigger issues than a Hero mech getting ECM. Like ECM itself, still not being fixed (when was that meant to happen....?).

That said, it would be nice if the Inner Sphere got a few more ECM chassis. Wasn't there a Black Knight or Grasshopper that was meant to have ECM?

#25 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

ECM on Tempest is fine. It was spoken of as a possibility for quite a while as people surmised this as an 'Icon' mech, and Morgan Kell's Archer came up as Hero with ECM as a way to somewhat meet the 'phantom' legend, a significant piece of lore.

Edited by Elyam, 16 December 2015 - 04:28 PM.

#26 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

It all depends on the hardpoints and the quirks. Ecm alone doesn't make it OP

#27 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

well...

there is only one choice: 20$ pack + 15$ hero...

no other option... 40$ pack is for people who like burning money!

#28 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

One possibility is that PGI's committed to putting the info warfare stuff (i.e. ECM delaying locks instead of being a hard counter)) live quite soon. With that ECM would be much less of a p2w issue, although still useful.

#29 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 December 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Sorry, can0t agree.

As long as there are COMPARABLE mechs available free? It's a non issue. It's idiotic to claim it has to be a carbon copy chassis with ecm to avoid P2W.

YOu have an ECM Cataphract and the Hellbringer, both free, packing ECM in the heavy class.

Back when only a handful of chassis had it? One MIGHT have had a valid argument. Now? No.

Wow, you do like to belittle people. I mean there is telling it like it is and there is saying things in a way that puts people down. But as I like to point out, seems to be your style. White knighting like a boss indeed.

If it doesn't matter then why doesn't PGI make one of the ones that doesn't cost another $15 the ECM version? Oh wait, it does matter. PGI knows ECM is a selling point and they are leveraging it to their advantage.

So yeah it does matter, especially when people are making a financial decision on their expendable income. Probably matters more than giving a mech with jump jets better hill climbing ability IMHO.

#30 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

There's already the CTF-0X and they can always toss ECM on something else that's available for c-bills. Maybe put it on the Catapult 4C or one of the Orions.

Also if they hold back on quirks then ECM on it will just balance it out. If every other archer gets 20-30% and this one gets 5% or just structure bonuses then I'd say it'd be an even balance between offense and defense.

Edited by Elizander, 16 December 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 16 December 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

Wow, you do like to belittle people. I mean there is telling it like it is and there is saying things in a way that puts people down. But as I like to point out, seems to be your style. White knighting like a boss indeed.

If it doesn't matter then why doesn't PGI make one of the ones that doesn't cost another $15 the ECM version? Oh wait, it does matter. PGI knows ECM is a selling point and they are leveraging it to their advantage.

So yeah it does matter, especially when people are making a financial decision on their expendable income. Probably matters more than giving a mech with jump jets better hill climbing ability IMHO.

I'll let Prosperity tell me if he feels offended. You feeling offended FOR somebody? Touching, but none of your business.

#32 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostElizander, on 16 December 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

There's already the CTF-0X and they can always toss ECM on something else that's available for c-bills. Maybe put it on the Catapult 4C Posted Image

NEVER!
When was the last time PGI decided to change hard points on a mech for the better?

#33 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 December 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

. I'm not concerned about it being OP on the field, just more powerful than the standard Archers.

True, but the arm situation on the Bounty Hunter makes it my least fav Marauder, I'm assuming a similar level of gimping on Tempest make up for ECM and make it more a side-grade rather than the other Archers simply cannot compete.

#34 Kushko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHere

If you want an ECM heavy there are other options. As for it being the best archer? I assume they will balance or even destroy/overbalance the hero with quirks or lack thereof.

As of now we don't really know or have any reason to think it will in any way be pay to win (nothing so far has been, and i dont really see PGI starting now). There are several other things that are coming in the near future that i will worry about much more, like for example what im having for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Edited by Kushko, 16 December 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#35 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Easiest way to give it a hint of the lore, ecm is probably there as a nod to the phantom mech phenomenon of Kell.

#36 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 16 December 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

PGI selling a hero mech that has a unique attribute and isn't completely worthless is so terrible.....

You do know about capitalism right? If there is no reason to buy something, then why bother trying to sell it?

The important question is, is the mech going to be over powered? If the answer is yes, then there is a problem. Frankly, I don't see this mech suddenly surpassing all the current top tier mechs because *gasp* it has ECM. The CTF-0XP isn't even the best Cataphract despite having ECM.

#37 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 December 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

I don't like how we have more Mechs coming out where the Hero is the only version that has ECM. I think many of us will agree that ECM is still worth more than 1.5 tons, so giving only the Heo Mech ECM without assigning any significant drawbacks makes me unsettled.

I think that Mech chassis that offer an ECM Hero should also offer a ECM Standard Variant. So, instead of just the Archer Tempest getting ECM, one of the standard variants should also get ECM.

Do others feel this way, too?

I do not feel as strongly about it on account of there being a proliferation of non-hero mech ECM options but I do understand your possition and your suggestion is a reasonable solution.

#38 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

Right now, ECM is tamer than it was before... but in PUGland™, Doritos are king.

In principle, it's a bad idea to keep stuff locked in a limited way.

The Pirate's Bane (ECM Locust) is useful in a limited sense, though the 1E is still better offensively. Adding ECM to 1 of 2 Locust missile variants should have been the way to go.

The La Malinche (Banshee hero) should have had JJs on it, but due to Banshees not having JJs (it would technically be exclusive to this variant), that's why it didn't get it.

If PGI added their own "fake PGI variant" (like made up Mauler and Enforcer variants, with a few others) that included JJs, then it would probably not be so bad (as long as the new PGI variant wasn't gimped).

That's the only "fair way" of going about this as we're still building around ECM... and the Hellbringer is arguably the king of ECM (Atlas-D-DC is slow, despite being a decent brawler - though arguably can be outbrawled by the Atlas-S). It's still a balance issue first and foremost (as currently constituted - discussing mechanics is a whole different thread/matter) and accessibility is a key important aspect when it relates to these things.

Just meh.

Edited by Deathlike, 16 December 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#39 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostCoolant, on 16 December 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

It all depends on the hardpoints and the quirks. Ecm alone doesn't make it OP

Well when you look at the upper/lower arms the arm lasers will be on cockpit level when they are in "normal" positons. Add two CT slots way above the cockpit and most likely 2 SRM above the cockpit and there you go, pretty good slots. Bought the mech because of that. Every tiny quirks will just make the mech even better.
Already checked it you can run 6 ML + 2SRM6 with 2 tons of ammo and 17 DHS plus ECm with a 325 STD.
Looking forward to that build.

Edited by Antares102, 16 December 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#40 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostAntares102, on 16 December 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

Well when you look at the upper/lower arms the arm lasers will be on cockpit level when they are in "normal" positons. Add two CT slots way above the cockpit and most likely 2 SRM above the cockpit and there you go, pretty good slots. Bought the mech because of that. Every tiny quirks will just make the mech even better.
Already checked it you can run 6 ML + 2SRM6 with 2 tons of ammo and 17 DHS plus ECm with a 325 STD.
Looking forward to that build.

I'm thinking STD 300, 3 LPL and 2 ML + ECM.

This mech is going to fall apart in chunks at brawling range.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 16 December 2015 - 05:11 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users