704 replies to this topic

#41 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:41 AM

I have to LOL at people calling this an Icon, just to try justify it being included nine gaming years early ;)

Clan mechs off the top of my head that could be considered

Top of the list obviously

The Timberwolf

Then you can take your pick in order of

Ebon Jaguar

Shadow Cat

Nova,

Storm Crow

Summoner

Mad Dog.

I'm sure people can add more to the list, as I'm hardly a clan expert, but the Mad Cat MkII just plan no

#42 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Okay, fine, I finished the spreadsheet, but it's not that helpful since PGI can and does inflate the stats of Battlemechs.

Posted Image

I kind of feel guilty for making this since it will inevitably be used to fuel the crusade...

#43 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostFupDup, on 15 February 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

Okay, fine, I finished the spreadsheet, but it's not that helpful since PGI can and does inflate the stats of Battlemechs.

I kind of feel guilty for making this since it will inevitably be used to fuel the crusade...

I admit that Blood Asp's hardpoints are more interesting (dual Gauss users have to put at least one Gauss on the ST), but MC Mk. II's aren't too shabby either.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 15 February 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#44 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostFupDup, on 15 February 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

I don't like making spreadsheets for regular Battlemechs as much because their basic stats are subject to inflation, while Omnis are pretty much set-in-stone.

But maybe in a few minutes I'll try one anyways...

Thanks in advance if you do make a spreadsheet

Edit: Thanks you did make the spreadsheet, sadly part time forum warrior when I'm at work...

Edited by Imperius, 15 February 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#45 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

It's all subjective anyway. I wouldn't consider the MadCat MKII an icon in the BT universe, but I wouldn't call the Ebon Jaguar or Shadow Cat (from Cathy's list) an Icon either. I'm not saying they aren't popular with some crowds, but iconic, nah not in my opinion.

So, am I wrong? IDK, that would be one opinion vs another. It could be debatable. Really on that entire list, the Timber Wolf is probably the only real "iconic" mech on that list.

I suppose the point is, I wouldn't dismiss the MadCat MKII as a joke when considering it an icon. It might not be what I'd call an icon, but is it less valid than an Ebon Jaguar? In my opinion, it is no worse or better. Just an opinion open to debate.

#46 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostCathy, on 15 February 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

I have to LOL at people calling this an Icon, just to try justify it being included nine gaming years early ;)

Clan mechs off the top of my head that could be considered

Top of the list obviously

The Timberwolf

Then you can take your pick in order of

Ebon Jaguar

Shadow Cat

Nova,

Storm Crow

Summoner

Mad Dog.

I'm sure people can add more to the list, as I'm hardly a clan expert, but the Mad Cat MkII just plan no

Google BATTLETECH and you'll see a bunch of Timberwolves, Google mechwarrior and you see both, now since the Mad Cat MK II is a buffed Timberwolf and the Timberwolf is indisputably an icon, the MK II is an icon by association.

#47 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

Man, there'd be zero purpose to adding the MadCat Mk. II - 3 and -5 to this game if they ever make it.

The -1, -2, and -6 could be beastly. The last one...2x C-LPL + 4x C-MPL and plenty of room for a reasonably fast engine and sinks? Ouch. Oooooouch.

#48 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

Iconic is such a subjective thing, if I had to take a guess:

Warhammer

Marauder

Timber Wolf

Elemental

Each of these things have graced at least one cover, sometimes many covers between Battle Tech and Mech Warrior.

That being said, as I mentioned above, Iconic is sjubective, to me when I think of Battle Tech, the first mech that comes to mind is the Timber Wolf, as it was on the cover of the first TRO I ever used (TRO 3050), but I fell in love with the Warhammer through game play.

#49 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 15 February 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

The -1, -2, and -6 could be beastly. The last one...2x C-LPL + 4x C-MPL and plenty of room for a reasonably fast engine and sinks? Ouch. Oooooouch.

Yeah, those variants are the only ones worth being added into the game.... The 6 would be an overgrown laser vomit Timby which is kind of funny. PGI needs to create one more Variant, preferably a Hero!

#50 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

"Buffed" Timber Wolf is incredibly debatable. The Mk. II is scaled up to assault weight, but that's not necessarily a 'buff'. Just means it's fatter and slower and more prone to getting eaten by lights. As I recall, even in the tabletop game the original Timber Wolf design was a relevant threat far, far into the future, even when stuff like XXLs and HAGs and Ferro-Lamellor (however that's spelled) was around.

In MWO terms, I imagine the straight-up TBR would still be considered a stronger overall 'Mech than the Mk. II. In, y'know, ten years when it's actually a valid choice.

#51 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

View Post1453 R, on 15 February 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

"Buffed" Timber Wolf is incredibly debatable. The Mk. II is scaled up to assault weight, but that's not necessarily a 'buff'. Just means it's fatter and slower and more prone to getting eaten by lights. As I recall, even in the tabletop game the original Timber Wolf design was a relevant threat far, far into the future, even when stuff like XXLs and HAGs and Ferro-Lamellor (however that's spelled) was around.

In MWO terms, I imagine the straight-up TBR would still be considered a stronger overall 'Mech than the Mk. II. In, y'know, ten years when it's actually a valid choice.

It's funny, the Mk IV Savage Wolf Prime going toe to toe with a Timber Wolf D (they use the same build) I'd put my money on the Timber Wolf D, just because it doesn't have the XXL death trap.

Oddly enough this is their BV's with 3/4 pilots

Timber Wolf Alt. D BV 3701
Savage Wolf Prime BV 3700

Makes for a rather even fight... but every test I've done between them they either both kill each other, or the Timby just squeaks out a victory, usually missing half the mech... So much for the Savage Wolf being an improvement....

Edited by Metus regem, 15 February 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#52 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostImperius, on 15 February 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

Yup, I've got some haters because...
Yes, for once I have a clear Agenda of getting the Mad Cat MK II in and depending on how people talk to me I can be civil or go back to being a 13yr old on Xbox Live. Voting against the Mad Cat MK II just to spite me is beyond the wrong approach. In the end you're just stopping progress of getting a Tier 1 90 ton assault added to the game.

Your stance consists of "I want the Mad Cat Mk. II in the game. if you don't want the Mad Cat Mk. II in the game, for any reason whatsoever, you're a total idiot and I'm going to call you names until you leave my thread alone so I can plug the Mad Cat Mk. II fourteen thousand times a day until Piranha gets sick of listening to me talk about it."

Pardon me if I don't see that as a particularly worthy platform to discuss

#53 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

View Post1453 R, on 15 February 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

There's also a strong argument to be made that it'd have pretty poor geometry. And while *I'm* ok with a 360 rated engine, the Timberwolf manages to deal with mediocre geo by being quite fast and agile for a Heavy sporting a 375XL in a 75t chassis. The MCMkII would, in the post-agility-nerf world, be far less agile with a 360XL in a 90t chassis.

But, as I said, i don't object to it's being added at all. I don't care about the current timeline much. I just don't find the MCMkII very interesting at all.

View Post1453 R, on 15 February 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Your stance consists of "I want the Mad Cat Mk. II in the game. if you don't want the Mad Cat Mk. II in the game, for any reason whatsoever, you're a total idiot and I'm going to call you names until you leave my thread alone so I can plug the Mad Cat Mk. II fourteen thousand times a day until Piranha gets sick of listening to me talk about it."

Pardon me if I don't see that as a particularly worthy platform to discuss

This is why so many people kind of want to see it not happen, I think. I get he just wants his favourite mech, and it's somewhere we've all been at some time or another, but he does have a pretty abrasive way of pushing it. It makes PGI thwarting his designs entertaining.

#54 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 February 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

There's also a strong argument to be made that it'd have pretty poor geometry.

How? It has big arm shields which cover the entire torso from the side not unlike the Rifleman if we go by the artwork. The missile boxes which extend the STs are obviously removed.

#55 Celtic Warrior IS

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 70 posts
  • LocationOperation Bulldog - Tranquil - HI

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

View PostNika Romanova, on 14 February 2016 - 11:00 PM, said:

That would without question be an assault well designed for cw. I'd take one or two in a clan drop for sure.

I have to agree, it was a good mech in MW4 and this is one I would consider buying if PGI does it right. If the JJ's are locked then it's going to be a glass cannon.

#56 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Imperious, you should run it like a campaign not a crusade.

Granted there will always be butte hurt on the internet if someone doesn't get their way. But you should be flexible with this, take the good with the bad acknowledged concerns and try to convince them why that concern can be changed. In the end most should feel like winners regardless of their stance. Just from a glance and no offense you can come off a little hostile.

In a sense be the guy who could tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they would enjoy the ride. Business 101 you don't want the other guys to feel like a loser if his idea doesn't win. This goes for anti-Madcat MK.II people a well, why I said keep it civil and so far its been a good discussion I feel.

#57 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

I'll agree to the Madcat MKII, when PGI agrees to the Madcat MKIII.

Edited by KHETTI, 15 February 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#58 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

I want my custom designed Mad Cat Mk. V. Ultimate 35-ton Omnimech to be the new master race of the light class.

#59 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 15 February 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

How? It has big arm shields which cover the entire torso from the side not unlike the Rifleman if we go by the artwork. The missile boxes which extend the STs are obviously removed.

It's extremely likely it would just be an up-scaled Timberwolf.

See: Tonnage based volumetric mech scaling coming into play right now, and HIGHLY likely to be applied to future mechs.

I would strongly expect the MkII to simply be a larger Timberwolf with a few minor cosmetic modifications, probably a unique CT but the same(except scaled) arms/legs/missile pods.

#60 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 February 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

It's extremely likely it would just be an up-scaled Timberwolf.

See: Tonnage based volumetric mech scaling coming into play right now, and HIGHLY likely to be applied to future mechs.

I would strongly expect the MkII to simply be a larger Timberwolf with a few minor cosmetic modifications, probably a unique CT but the same(except scaled) arms/legs/missile pods.

The same arms would be extremely sad, and would effectively invalidate the only factor that makes the mech good in MWO terms (having high-mounted arms).

Then again, geometry copy-pasta is one of PGI's specialties, like how the Banshee is a giant Shadow Hawk or the Quickdraw is a slightly smaller Highlander...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users