What Percentage Of Active Players Spend Money On This Game?

156 replies to this topic

#121 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 24 February 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

To Alistair's point, and I admit I was being unfair, he is not speaking to you or anyone else that has paid their fare.

And you make good points too.

Yeah, I know, just making a tangential agreement point.

#122 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Pretty much everything, what I didn't buy would be a shorter list. Didn't buy the saber packs, Mad, Rifleman, Archer and a few of the heroes. Don't buy store or steam packs. Good thing I just bought a bottle of Yukon Jack today cause now I'm depressed.Posted Image Not sorry about a cent of it.

#123 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 24 February 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

Don't you think that they are actually helping the company by playing the game?
Sure its nice to have people who support something they spend a lot of time on, but deciding to pay PGI or not all depends on the player and no one else. And he/she can rationalize it in whatever way they want.
as long as the server is well populated, they are doing their job of supporting the game.

Their help is very limited. I think no-spenders do help the game in a sense. If you removed them all, you'd have fewer people spending, longer queues, etc.

But I'd say it's pretty similar to going into a restaurant or a bar with a friend and ordering a glass of water every 15 minutes. As long as the owner lets you do it and you're not using a table that would otherwise be occupied by a paying customer, you're not doing anything wrong. In fact, you could say that you're helping the owner, because the restaurant is now a bit more lively and thus more enjoyable and attractive for other customers. I mean, nobody likes to eat in a completely empty restaurant or drink in an empty bar. So in a sense, you're helping the "company", even though you're not paying anything, and their employees have to bring you water every 15 minutes, clean the bathroom you use, etc.

And in this example, it's completely legal, it's a free country (presumably), and you can rationalize it in whatever way you want. You don't even have to tip the waiter who brought you 20 glasses of water that night. Maybe they got more customers because you made the place more lively.

Personally though, I still think it's a pretty silly thing to do. I would buy something, not because I was obligated to or because I actually wanted something, but just as a courtesy to the owners for letting me relax there with a friend.

#124 TorinZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

I am not going to type out what I have bought. I did that once and after my shock wore off I told myself to not ever do that again. Let's just say, I get plenty of the loyalty rewards every year.

#125 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

Their help is very limited. I think no-spenders do help the game in a sense. If you removed them all, you'd have fewer people spending, longer queues, etc.

But I'd say it's pretty similar to going into a restaurant or a bar with a friend and ordering a glass of water every 15 minutes. As long as the owner lets you do it and you're not using a table that would otherwise be occupied by a paying customer, you're not doing anything wrong. In fact, you could say that you're helping the owner, because the restaurant is now a bit more lively and thus more enjoyable and attractive for other customers. I mean, nobody likes to eat in a completely empty restaurant or drink in an empty bar. So in a sense, you're helping the "company", even though you're not paying anything, and their employees have to bring you water every 15 minutes, clean the bathroom you use, etc.

And in this example, it's completely legal, it's a free country (presumably), and you can rationalize it in whatever way you want. You don't even have to tip the waiter who brought you 20 glasses of water that night. Maybe they got more customers because you made the place more lively.

Personally though, I still think it's a pretty silly thing to do. I would buy something, not because I was obligated to or because I actually wanted something, but just as a courtesy to the owners for letting me relax there with a friend.

I see things differently

I bought 3 TW's back before the first TW nerf

I am still bent out of shape about the change in product

I have been playing PC games since 1980 and I have had more problems playing this game then all the other computer games I ever played except TF1942 (I had to make a boot disk from falcon 3.0)

I would love to spend more money on this game except for

Do you really want to see the list?

Not to say I won’t spend money on the Kodiak pack but it’s going to take several beers

Now if they come out with a single player game then money will come out of my wallet

#126 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Lots of cammo, lots of colours, premium time, IS heroes, - I have two Fangs, 2! one for each side of the mouth, Flame, Ember, X5, Annansi, if I have the chassis and it has a hero mech I have it, but not all. I bought TBR's, SCR's, HBR's and Nova's a la carte, never bought a Clan mech for cbills, never bought an IS for MC - except the heroes of course.
I really enjoy the game, play for fun and look for ways to spend a bit of cash to keep the game going, I get paid for my work, so should the developers.

#127 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

Uh

Elite Founder (Worth, blew all the MC though)
Sarah's Jenner (Not sure if I ever got this mech playable)
Phoenix Overlord (All of my regrets, only like one mech in the pack and am not good with it)
MC in various amounts that I can't remember

-Quit playing the game right when Clans came out until really recently

Resistance 2 (Black Knight... Worth)
Rifleman (all of them... more worth)

If anything I'd either pick up the Clan III Shadow Cat package, despite not liking the pricing of the clan packages, or a boatload of MC whenever it's on sale again.

If I go by $1 = 1 hour reasoning then I've technically paid everything off at this point. It makes me feel better about the horrendous amount of money I've spent.

#128 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

I almost spent money when they were testing all those awesome features for the re-balance and throwing out a bunch of promises....

But I figured they were lying...

So I waited to spend money to see if they were actually going to change the game.

Spoiler Alert: They backed out of everything that would have actually improved anything.

#129 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

My wallet ignited ages ago so I'm waiting for it to cool down a bit!! Just walk it off like a boss.

Posted Image

#130 Azalie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostAzalie, on 23 February 2016 - 10:26 PM, said:

Founders Mid-Tier Package: $80
14400 MC back in like 2012: $50 I think
Bought a Misery with some of that MC. Still loving it.
Clans Masakari Package: $240
Clans Wave II Man-O-War Package: $120
Kodiak Collector's + Hero: $65

So I've spent a cool $555 on this game. Over the course of 4 years. Less than I would have spent on WoW over the same time period.....and did spend at least on parts of that period. FOR THE HORDE!

To support MWO/Battletech I'm happy to do so. I'm 'interested' in a lot of things but I'm passionate about few. This is one of those.

Yeah totally forgot about the Phoenix Overlord pack....so 550+80= $630.

#131 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:04 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 23 February 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

Red Baron has a kdr of 80/1, something you cant hope to achieve, not with boring black paint.

Apparently his re-spawn glitched.

View PostAmsro, on 24 February 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

My wallet ignited ages ago so I'm waiting for it to cool down a bit!! Just walk it off like a boss.

Posted Image

MWO ghost heat affects my wallet. It gets hot just thinking about buying something.

#132 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:19 AM

I feel bad about it, tbh. I can afford it, but its a lot of money on one game. Not as bad as a F2P korean mmo i used to play though *shudders*

$240 Clan Wave 1
$120 Clan Wave 2 (Regret this one. Terripack, only redeeming mech is the Hellbringer)
$120 Clan Wave 3
$80 Resistance 1 (regret this one too. I like the Grasshopper and Enforcer but the C-Bill variants suck amazingly. Least the ® Panther is now the best one, or at least close)
$80 Resistance 2
$80 Origins (Kinda regret this one too, but maybe one day we will get some quirks on the ON1 and HGN)
$20 Marauder pack
$55 Warhammer pack (needed the Widow Maker title, lol)
$55 Kodiak Pack

Plus MC to buy Heavy Metal, Firebrand and Sparky Hero mechs.

Very Whale, i know. I really don't intend to buy any more mechs, but .. we will see i guess.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 25 February 2016 - 03:22 AM.

#133 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:52 AM

Hmmm, lemme think.....

Death´s Knell
Huginn
Ember
X-5 (eventually C-billed)
Gridiron
Yen Lo Wang
Firebrand
Jester
Fang + Flame
Dragon Slayer
Misery
Heavy Metal
Boar´s Head
Phoenix Overlord
Clan wave 1 Masakari
Clan wave 2 Mist Lynx

And a few mechbays, patterns and colors over the years...

When I have a job again maybe I´ll spend money again, maybe start by completing the clan w2 pack.... ;)

#134 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:48 AM

I didn't get Founders because I wasn't aware of the game.
I didn't get any of the Clan stuff because I don't like Clans.
I didn't get more than the Wolfhound for Resistance II because I wasn't happy with the modeling in Resistance I.
I didn't get Legend Killer because I dislike the artwork.

About half the heroes I don't own (and don't want). Most of the others were picked up on sale.

Almost all my 'mechs have 1-shot camo. Some have chassis unlocks. I have about 25% of the colors.

It's easier to list the stuff I didn't buy. For all that, I've spent way, way more on Star Citizen. PGI could've had that level of spending here, because I'm a longtime fan of Battletech.

But, I'm disappointed in CW, wish infotech and weapons fixes would show progress faster than 'glacial' and would like to see more attention to things like stock mode, lore, and Battletech feel for the title. So yes, I've spent some on MWO. I would've spent more - a LOT more - if the title was doing a better job of meeting my expectations.

#135 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

I've spent more on MWO than SC, but only slightly -- $2,000+ here, about $1,800 in SC. I've got 17 ships, all with LTI (I know it supposedly doesn't make any difference, but it still matters to me).

I've also spent $754 on Descent: Underground, $450 on BATTLETECH, and $250 on EVERSPACE.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 25 February 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#136 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

Ok Let's see:

Pirate's Bane
TDK
Anansi
Huginn
Sparky
Griffon Champion
Cicada Mastery Pack
Ilya
Wolfhound pack
Archer Basic + Hero
Kodiak Basic + Hero
2 - Locust 3v in the gift store
Gifted a Jenner IIC pack to my brother
Was gifted an Urbie collector pack (guess that might not count)
Some Premium Time
Lots of Mechbays
Misc. Camo/colors

Edited by 3xnihilo, 25 February 2016 - 11:41 AM.

#137 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

I spent $20 on kodiak

#138 Kyle Travis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

Spent enough cash to buy Greyson and Lori's mechs
Resistance 1 and 2 - full pack
Marauder, Warhammer and Archer cos love the old mechs

#139 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Top package in all the packs except the Origins about 60 colours, including what came with packs, roughly 100 cockpit items, all mechs have two or more camo options again including items from packs.

Damn forgot, own all the hero mechs.

So I guess P.G.I are into me for around $2500.

Best not let the wife find out, or it'll be "you spent that much yet we have to drive that hunk of junk"!..

Edited by Cathy, 25 February 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#140 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

These packs hurt a bit more when you have to convert away from US currency. Was closer to 70 NZD by the time I pre-ordered, and we don't earn any more than Americans do - often less in like for like jobs.

Edited by Random Carnage, 25 February 2016 - 09:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users