What Percentage Of Active Players Spend Money On This Game?

156 replies to this topic

#141 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:57 PM

Bought some mech bays. I don't see the point in spending more until the game is ready to leave closed beta (i.e. probably never).

#142 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

Been playing for two years and Ive only spend 100 USD on this game

#143 ILikePeaches

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

View PostSQW, on 24 February 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

Did you back that battletech Kickstarter?

No, I'm not really swimming in the dough right now. Spent it all on hookers last year.

#144 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

Personaly ive spent 400 bucks on game...plz dont ask me what mech packs i bought...dun remember ive slept since then.
But tbh even tho i spent 400 bucks i still dont play that much..maybe 1-3 hours a week....then i play other games where i can speak with the player base.

#145 DJMarine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

I've never seen so many people brag about being ripped off. Kudos to PGI.

#146 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

Started 2 months ago, saw 40$ for a raven pack, rofl f2p, uninstall button works. I'll let this game be cashwarrior online since thats what their target market is.

#147 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

Let's put this way, I play Blizzard games since the first Diablo (very little WOW indeed, not my style) up until Starcraft II.
At this point in my life, PGI has more of my money than Blizzard ever had.
It's like that one callgirl I meet from time to time, I always say it's the last time but then something happens and I call her again.

#148 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostJayTac, on 26 February 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

I've never seen so many people brag about being ripped off. Kudos to PGI.

You call it bragging about being ripped off, we call it "THinking before running out and blindly spending money on whatever is the next big thing."

Or to put it differently: I don´t need to buy Call of Derpy every year and then buy this game, and that game, and then that other game..... Instead I spend 50-100$ on MWO, and with that both pay PGI for the work pf producing a game I´ve been enjoying for something like 5 years now as well as invest in the future of MwO be helping keep the servers running.

It´s always hilariously stupid when people that don´t pay berate or complain about those that do... because without us you wouldn´t even have a game to play, much less a forum to flame it on or a developer to drag through the mud.

View PostJohnny Gorbachev, on 26 February 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

Started 2 months ago, saw 40$ for a raven pack, rofl f2p, uninstall button works. I'll let this game be cashwarrior online since thats what their target market is.

Since you´re new I´ll give you teh benefit of the doubt: There is absolutely nothin in this game that you must spend real money on. Everything of any actual relevance can be ground out just as in any other non P2W game. Those packs really only cost real money for saving you the grind, and only include a few trinkets at best that you can´t get without real money (but have no bearing whatsoever on your ingame performance).

And many of the things that cost actual money can actually be had for FREE if you invest enough time.... specifically in community warfare you can earn mechbays (cost 1$ each, cockpit items (1.5$ each, purely cosmetic), and even a few thousand MC (the Real money currency).

And more or less every second weekend theres an event where you get free Premium time and other goodies.

So, if you´re uninstalling becasue you think you have to pay money, you´re uninstalling for the wrong reason. If you´re uninstalling because you don´t want to actually play the game to acquire your first mech (which BTW you get for free after completing the tutorial and first 25 matches), then you´re uninstalling for the right reason.

Edited by Zerberus, 26 February 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#149 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

View PostZerberus, on 26 February 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

Since you´re new I´ll give you teh benefit of the doubt: There is absolutely nothin in this game that you must spend real money on. Everything of any actual relevance can be ground out just as in any other non P2W game. Those packs really only cost real money for saving you the grind, and only include a few trinkets at best that you can´t get without real money (but have no bearing whatsoever on your ingame performance).

And many of the things that cost actual money can actually be had for FREE if you invest enough time.... specifically in community warfare you can earn mechbays (cost 1$ each, cockpit items (1.5$ each, purely cosmetic), and even a few thousand MC (the Real money currency).

And more or less every second weekend theres an event where you get free Premium time and other goodies.

So, if you´re uninstalling becasue you think you have to pay money, you´re uninstalling for the wrong reason. If you´re uninstalling because you don´t want to actually play the game to acquire your first mech (which BTW you get for free after completing the tutorial and first 25 matches), then you´re uninstalling for the right reason.

Thats not the point. Everything in heartstone is freetogrind, that doesn't mean the grind is reasonable. You don,t acquire your first mech after grinding for it, you only get your first mech once you finish grinding 2 more variants of it and 4 modules for it. Then only is it an actual mech, because before it, its just whale fodder. I don't have to be playing the game for years to notice this game is a blatant cashgrab with the unnecessary grind walls, I just need to do the math with cbill gain per hour with amount needed to actually have a viable mech.

From a whale standpoint, it seems reasonable, but a whale is supposed to be devoid of rationale thought, thats why they are whales.

Edited by Johnny Gorbachev, 26 February 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#150 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Legendary founder pack 80?
Stormcrow ala carte 55
Clan wave 2 hellbringer pack 90
Resistance 2 Zeus 80 preorder
Clan wave 3 executioner 120 preorder
Orgins highlander 80 preorder
Maurader 20$ pack preorder
Warhammer 65$ preorder
Kodiak 20$ preorder
Probably about another 250 in MC, but all on sale. I own 15 hero mechs, all bought while on sale as well.

Also have bought another 200 bucks in packs for gifts for RL friends , (a clan wave 3 EJAG pack and some mastery packs for a few other people. All but one still play and sink money into the game as well.

Sunk another 50 bucks into prizes for a friend's contest on reddit because he went over budget and didn't want to fail to give out the prizes he promised. I lent a hand, that's what friends do.

To be fair some of that was gifts from my wife. All in all 1110ish spent which is 30 a month over 3 years, so less than the current price of one premium title which I would generally beat in a weekend and then uninstall.

I love the game, I preorder most times, and own multiple full camo unlocks on most mechs I enjoy playing. I don't feel like I have been shafted. The only thing I have I didn't really enjoy much is the resistance 2 pack, but wife bought it for me when I stepped away from a signed in keyboard lol.

#151 Rustycan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOn a lake in New Brunswick

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

Dear god, lets just see...

Legendary Founders
Clan Wave I
Clan Wave II
Clan Wave III
Origins (Hunchie and Jenner)
Warhammer Collectors + Hero
Archer Collectors + Hero
Kodiak Collectors + Hero
Gifted a Cheetah pack
Gifted 2 Archer Packs
Gifted Origins Pack (Hunchie and Jenner)

Hero mechs...

The Deaths Knell
Ilya
Flame
Ember
Huggin
The Arrow
Golden Boy
Jester
Firebrand
Boars Head
La Malinche
Heavy Metal

And probably about $300 in Mc whenever they have the bonus 5000 Mc for buying the full package.

And at least 10 colors, around 6-10 patterns unlocked for various chassis plus many cockpit items.

All since closed Beta so I have spent a bit over the last 4 years.

Once decals and unit decals come out I will be buying them for my self and units members so the money sink continues.

#152 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

I do, as a player I purchase the Clan packs for ease of access and to support the game. I purchase my IS mechs through ingame currency earnings. As for the cosmetics (paint jobs, cockpit items, etc) I usually only buy them on sale unless there's a color I really want, but colors are the only thing I've bought full price.

#153 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

View PostJohnny Gorbachev, on 26 February 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

Thats not the point. Everything in heartstone is freetogrind, that doesn't mean the grind is reasonable. You don,t acquire your first mech after grinding for it, you only get your first mech once you finish grinding 2 more variants of it and 4 modules for it. Then only is it an actual mech, because before it, its just whale fodder. I don't have to be playing the game for years to notice this game is a blatant cashgrab with the unnecessary grind walls, I just need to do the math with cbill gain per hour with amount needed to actually have a viable mech.

From a whale standpoint, it seems reasonable, but a whale is supposed to be devoid of rationale thought, thats why they are whales.

As theorized, you´re uninstalling for reason 2, so there´s no point in further discussion, sp. since you´re obviously of the opinion that the game cannot be played without first purchasing 3 mechs and fully mastering them and equipping them with modules. which is total BS, most of the modules didnt even exist for many years and for some reason we were still able to play. ..

You remind me of WoW players who quit or flame on teh forums because they have to grind out 100 levels and farm some baseline equip before they´re allowed in the raids, "Because everything else is kindergarten" and "too boring" and "a waste of time" And then when they finally do get there after buying an eBay account "Because I really wanny play", they don´t have teh slightest clue what all the buttons do and become utter failures... all because they never did the boring poart, learning how to actually play.

BTW this is also why many competitive gamers absolutely despise casual gamers. You kids want all the reward for none of the effort, in no small part because many of you were never taught virtues like patience, perserverance, hard work.... You just expect a silver platter to fall from the sky with wour wishes and dreams on it. The sooner you learn that life doesn´t work that way the better. Esp here, because unlike Blizzard games, this game does not have the huge dev team necessary to dumb it down to the level of duck hunt online like WoW did with LFR. Here you either get better or you get wrecked, and how much money you paid or didn´t pay plays no role in that.

And if you actually play the game for fun, none of the grind really matters anyway. Remember "fun"?

For the record, I played for free from closed beta until release, and most of my 67 mechs were not purchased with real money. Once you actually learn how to play, there´s absolutely nothing standing in the way of 500k-1000 cBills /hr without premium time or a hero mech. OMG!! WHA? NO!!! I have to play a few hours to purchase somethig new and shiney instead oft having it shoved up my bum for free just because I want it? Boo hoo, cry me a river. 1 mech /day is absolutely realistic if you´re not specifically going for assaults.

BTW, Maybe if you actually played instead of of hopelessly trying to figure out ways to game the system and learn jack **** in the process ( http://mwomercs.com/...43#entry5006143 , and BTW there are no modules that increase c-bill gains, more verbal diarrhoea I assume?) or weren´t so hung up about the pricing and a fictitious P2W boogeyman all the time ( http://mwomercs.com/...63#entry5023163 , http://mwomercs.com/...70#entry5004770 , http://mwomercs.com/...21#entry5002421 , http://mwomercs.com/...20#entry5036120 , http://mwomercs.com/...25#entry5036425 , http://mwomercs.com/...17#entry5044917 ) ..... Maybe, just maybe you´d have time to actually play, thereby get better faster, and eventually not "have" to run cheesy cookie-cutter meta-crutch builds to perform above the steering wheel underhive.

The fact that you refer to an unmastered mech w/o modules as "whale fodder" speaks volumes about your attitude and how little you understand about the game... real money still grants no battlefield advantage, so a ******* guppy is juast as dangerous for the steering wheel underhive as your fabled P2W Whales. You´re not actually looking to get better, you´re looking for excuses to stay bad, and "the man keeping me down" is always the go to argument for those that can´t even invest the effort to concoct a decent lie. There´s always something beyond your control that makes you fail, and there´s never anything you can do about it, riight?

And sorry man, but if 100$ /year seems like a lot to you (if you actually run teh numbers, that´s roughly what most "whales" have invested over the course of the years) it´s obvious you´ve never played a traditional subscription game in your life that costs 10$+ /month. Either pay up or deal with it is the bottom line, becasue you´re by far no the first to incessantly complain about both the pricing and the grind while completely failing to realize the underlying intent and value, and you most certainly won´t be the last.

Either way, since you´re already as good as gone (though most people don´t look for a unit and quit at the same time, is it possible you´re overvaluing your worth to the community and simply puffing out your chest and screaming "I quit" like most of the other attention ****** instead of actually leaving?Posted Image ), good luck and have fun finding a F2P game with less of a grind that doesn´t have actual P2W elements that require real money to be competitive. Then maybe you´ll have something else to do other than complain about how you can´t afford things for MWO and how people that have jobs spend more money than you do and how that´s ruining your life. Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 27 February 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#154 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostZerberus, on 27 February 2016 - 03:30 AM, said:

As theorized, you´re uninstalling for reason 2, so there´s no point in further discussion, sp. since you´re obviously of the opinion that the game cannot be played without first purchasing 3 mechs and fully mastering them and equipping them with modules. which is total BS, most of the modules didnt even exist for many years and for some reason we were still able to play. ..

You remind me of WoW players who quit or flame on teh forums because they have to grind out 100 levels and farm some baseline equip before they´re allowed in the raids, "Because everything else is kindergarten" and "too boring" and "a waste of time" And then when they finally do get there after buying an eBay account "Because I really wanny play", they don´t have teh slightest clue what all the buttons do and become utter failures... all because they never did the boring poart, learning how to actually play.

BTW this is also why many competitive gamers absolutely despise casual gamers. You kids want all the reward for none of the effort, in no small part because many of you were never taught virtues like patience, perserverance, hard work.... You just expect a silver platter to fall from the sky with wour wishes and dreams on it. The sooner you learn that life doesn´t work that way the better. Esp here, because unlike Blizzard games, this game does not have the huge dev team necessary to dumb it down to the level of duck hunt online like WoW did with LFR. Here you either get better or you get wrecked, and how much money you paid or didn´t pay plays no role in that.

And if you actually play the game for fun, none of the grind really matters anyway. Remember "fun"?

For the record, I played for free from closed beta until release, and most of my 67 mechs were not purchased with real money. Once you actually learn how to play, there´s absolutely nothing standing in the way of 500k-1000 cBills /hr without premium time or a hero mech. OMG!! WHA? NO!!! I have to play a few hours to purchase somethig new and shiney instead oft having it shoved up my bum for free just because I want it? Boo hoo, cry me a river. 1 mech /day is absolutely realistic if you´re not specifically going for assaults.

BTW, Maybe if you actually played instead of of hopelessly trying to figure out ways to game the system and learn jack **** in the process ( http://mwomercs.com/...43#entry5006143 , and BTW there are no modules that increase c-bill gains, more verbal diarrhoea I assume?) or weren´t so hung up about the pricing and a fictitious P2W boogeyman all the time ( http://mwomercs.com/...63#entry5023163 , http://mwomercs.com/...70#entry5004770 , http://mwomercs.com/...21#entry5002421 , http://mwomercs.com/...20#entry5036120 , http://mwomercs.com/...25#entry5036425 , http://mwomercs.com/...17#entry5044917 ) ..... Maybe, just maybe you´d have time to actually play, thereby get better faster, and eventually not "have" to run cheesy cookie-cutter meta-crutch builds to perform above the steering wheel underhive.

The fact that you refer to an unmastered mech w/o modules as "whale fodder" speaks volumes about your attitude and how little you understand about the game... real money still grants no battlefield advantage, so a ******* guppy is juast as dangerous for the steering wheel underhive as your fabled P2W Whales. You´re not actually looking to get better, you´re looking for excuses to stay bad, and "the man keeping me down" is always the go to argument for those that can´t even invest the effort to concoct a decent lie. There´s always something beyond your control that makes you fail, and there´s never anything you can do about it, riight?

And sorry man, but if 100$ /year seems like a lot to you (if you actually run teh numbers, that´s roughly what most "whales" have invested over the course of the years) it´s obvious you´ve never played a traditional subscription game in your life that costs 10$+ /month. Either pay up or deal with it is the bottom line, becasue you´re by far no the first to incessantly complain about both the pricing and the grind while completely failing to realize the underlying intent and value, and you most certainly won´t be the last.

Either way, since you´re already as good as gone (though most people don´t look for a unit and quit at the same time, is it possible you´re overvaluing your worth to the community and simply puffing out your chest and screaming "I quit" like most of the other attention ****** instead of actually leaving?Posted Image ), good luck and have fun finding a F2P game with less of a grind that doesn´t have actual P2W elements that require real money to be competitive. Then maybe you´ll have something else to do other than complain about how you can´t afford things for MWO and how people that have jobs spend more money than you do and how that´s ruining your life. Posted Image

Don't tell that to me, I've already made up my mind, tell that to the 1500 new players that arent interested in this game anymore I'm sure they will be interested after hearing 100$ per year subscription for the game they only just met. Oh wait.

I'm sure we just keep telling ourselves that its the "steep learning curve" that pushes them away, not the horrible business model.

#155 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

Founder here, and I still spend money on this game, more than sanity actually permits...

#156 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

You know, I'm not sorry I spent the dough, though I will admit that if the Marauder and Rifleman had been in game when I started I wouldn't own 39 mechs right now. Those are my favorites and now I have them. Love seeing others' favorites come down but I essentially have what I want til we see the Hollander II or Uziel drop. My 39 are for the most part packs of one kind or another.

I only have two Clan mechs but I may try the Nova for Cbills after the resize. Possibly will try Maulers the same way, loved them in the MW game where you play as Ian Davion.

#157 DJMarine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

View PostZerberus, on 26 February 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

You call it bragging about being ripped off, we call it "THinking before running out and blindly spending money on whatever is the next big thing." Or to put it differently: I don´t need to buy Call of Derpy every year and then buy this game, and that game, and then that other game..... Instead I spend 50-100$ on MWO, and with that both pay PGI for the work pf producing a game I´ve been enjoying for something like 5 years now as well as invest in the future of MwO be helping keep the servers running.

You're falsely assuming that people who don't want to support a bad product are doing so because they're wasting money on other titles. That's not the case. Further, I can spend $100,000 on a Chevy Cavalier, enjoy every ride in it and love supporting Chevy. That still doesn't mean I wasn't ripped off in the process.

It´s always hilariously stupid when people that don´t pay berate or complain about those that do... because without us you wouldn´t even have a game to play, much less a forum to flame it on or a developer to drag through the mud.

Well I'm a founder so I have paid and I wouldn't care if the game was dropped.

Oh wait. I'm sure we just keep telling ourselves that its the "steep learning curve" that pushes them away, not the horrible business model.

I hope no one is making that argument. Mechwarrior doesn't have a steep learning curve.

Edited by JayTac, 27 February 2016 - 02:00 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users