What Percentage Of Active Players Spend Money On This Game?

156 replies to this topic

#101 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:07 PM

• Storm pack + reinforcements (Locust, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine)
  • Warhawk a la carte
  • Loki Collection
  • Shadow Cat Package
  • Black Knight a la carte
  • Obscene amounts of MC, mostly purchased 1500 MC at a time, because I are dumb.
  • Sarah's Jenner
It's definitely above $500. How much more, I don't really know. Don't really care to find out.

A few thoughts:
  • A lot of forum "bittervets" and "islanders" have spent a lot of money on this game. Few people have the energy to still make fun of PGI as much as FupDup does, but he's probably in the 99th percentile in terms of spending.
  • A lot of people have spent a lot of money on the game, just for the sake of supporting the franchise and keeping Mechwarrior games alive. I always respect that, no matter who it is.
  • Some people take some perverse pride in not spending any money on the game, despite clearly having the financial means to support the game (judging by their computers, etc) and I simply don't respect that at all. If you can't really pay anything because of your financial situation, that's obviously understandable. Obviously, nobody owes PGI anything, it's a F2P game. But there's nothing admirable about not giving something back for the service provided, just because you don't have to.

View Postjss78, on 24 February 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Answer to OP's question would depend on the definition of "active", I think. Of those who play regularly, my hunch is a good majority (80% ?)have spent some $/€. This is just based on the number of badges you see in-game. Of those who don't have badges probably many have bought some MC for colours/premium time.
Now on top of those I bet we have tens of thousands of people who only play very irregularly or only played for a short time. Of those probably few spent $/€. But since they play so little, they don't make up a big part of the server population at any given time.

That's a good analysis. Ultimately, the important thing for PGI is whether the people who are playing the game regularly (i.e. putting the most amount of stress on the servers) are paying for stuff. If they have 500,000 players who never spend anything, but hardly ever play, it's not a huge problem.

#102 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

A few thoughts:
  • A lot of forum "bittervets" and "islanders" have spent a lot of money on this game. Few people have the energy to still make fun of PGI as much as FupDup does, but he's probably in the 99th percentile in terms of spending.

It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it. Posted Image

In terms of percentiles, I feel pretty dumb with the amount of cha-ching I've spent, but the fact that some people in this thread report thousands of dollars of spending makes it all the more awkward.

And for the record, I actually haven't splurged on this game since the Urbie pack, because of sheer boredom/disinterest at the time being. Posted Image

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

• Some people take some perverse pride in not spending any money on the game, despite clearly having the financial means to support the game (judging by their computers, etc) and I simply don't respect that at all. If you can't really pay anything because of your financial situation, that's obviously understandable. Obviously, nobody owes PGI anything, it's a F2P game. But there's nothing admirable about not giving something back for the service provided, just because you don't have to.

I guess for some it's a matter of "voting with your wallet," e.g. if you give cash you think the current direction is fine and if you don't give cash then you want a change.

Another angle for the issue might be that whales like me look kind of silly with how much we've spent (I don't even want to count how much my packs add up to), especially when compared to buying a normal Pay-2-Play game. Especially during a Steam sale...

Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 24 February 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#103 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostJayTac, on 24 February 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

Well I spent money on the founders pack, unfortunately, and after being burned on it and MWT I will never put further money into this game and support this company.

I say I was burned on the founders pack as a result of missed promises along with the game being several years behind development schedule. Never got what I paid for imo.

Then there's Mech Warrior Tactics. Again, bought a founders pack and where is that game even at? Completely abandoned without a word or single refund. I'd be a fool to give them another dime given how they treat their customers.

edit:

Here's another gem... Where the hell is my founders badge at!? Again, treated like **** as a founder.

PGI didn't have anything to do with MWT. That was IGP (who was involved with mismanaging both titles). https://en.wikipedia...Warrior_Tactics

#104 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

I guess for some it's a matter of "voting with your wallet," e.g. if you give cash you think the current direction is fine and if you don't give cash then you want a change.

Yeah, but if you've played thousands of hours and never spent a dime, I wouldn't call it voting with your wallet. It's not the same as someone who was a Legendary Founder and bought Overlord package and then decided to stop spending until PGI gave them the CW that was promised in 2013. Or even someone who started playing in 2015, but stopped spending after a while, because they didn't feel the game had enough content to earn it.

If you've played thousands of hours and you have money, but you're "voting with your wallet" and "waiting for PGI to earn it", I'd say you're just rationalising the fact that you're being cheap.

Posted Image

#105 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

View PostRussianWolf, on 24 February 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

PGI didn't have anything to do with MWT. That was IGP (who was involved with mismanaging both titles). https://en.wikipedia...Warrior_Tactics

Who owns Mechwarrior Tactics now? The wiki article read like a murder mystery. I have to know what happens next!

#106 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

I have bought the top tier of every pack starting with Founders all the way up to the Warhammer. Add in most of the Hero mechs and various MC purchases as well as several mech packs for other people and I have spent a rather sizable sum. However, due to what I consider terrible decisions on PGI's part as of late the proverbial camels back has been broken and I may well be done giving them money for good.

#107 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostJayTac, on 24 February 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

Well I spent money on the founders pack, unfortunately, and after being burned on it and MWT I will never put further money into this game and support this company.

I say I was burned on the founders pack as a result of missed promises along with the game being several years behind development schedule. Never got what I paid for imo.

Then there's Mech Warrior Tactics. Again, bought a founders pack and where is that game even at? Completely abandoned without a word or single refund. I'd be a fool to give them another dime given how they treat their customers.

edit:

Here's another gem... Where the hell is my founders badge at!? Again, treated like **** as a founder.

You do know that PGI had absolutely nothing to do with MWT, right?

Completely different game developers ... sharing a publisher that has since gone out of business (IGP).

As for the founders pack ... you are entitled to your opinion.

However, in my opinion I received everything that was promised in the founder's pack that I purchased.

PGI had a bunch of dreams about where they wanted the game to go and what they would work toward and other than the famous and idiotic "CW will be 90 days after open beta" by Russ they really didn't give any timeline for all the ideas they had. At the time, they also had IGP calling some or all of the shots ... which did not help either ... and PGI completely fumbled and continues to lack in their community relations but those are other issues and mostly ancient history.

#108 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it. Posted Image

In terms of percentiles, I feel pretty dumb with the amount of cha-ching I've spent, but the fact that some people in this thread report thousands of dollars of spending makes it all the more awkward.

And for the record, I actually haven't splurged on this game since the Urbie pack, because of sheer boredom/disinterest at the time being. Posted Image

Another angle for the issue might be that whales like me look kind of silly with how much we've spent (I don't even want to count how much my packs add up to), especially when compared to buying a normal Pay-2-Play game. Especially during a Steam sale...

Posted Image

Skins are the only items you truly have to buy in LoL but skins do nothing at all for game. I havent played the game in 2-3 years and have 50+ champs. I've only given them $10. LoL is truly free to play but DoTa whoops its but on that category.

#109 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

I can't believe I... the whole thing.

Yeah not even looking at how much I spent. Still, I seem to play it a whole lot. Good value for money I guess.

#110 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

I have purchased every top-tier package dating back to the Legendary Founder package, except for one -- the UrbanMech. This includes all of the Classics at the Collector tier, the Classic Heroes, and the Classic Reinforcements. I've also purchased several Hero 'Mechs, the Sarah's Jenner, and many many MC.

The total is somewhere north of $2,000.

Money well spent. No regrets whatsoever. Will continue to spend.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 24 February 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#111 DJMarine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostMawai, on 24 February 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

You do know that PGI had absolutely nothing to do with MWT, right? Completely different game developers ... sharing a publisher that has since gone out of business (IGP). As for the founders pack ... you are entitled to your opinion. However, in my opinion I received everything that was promised in the founder's pack that I purchased. PGI had a bunch of dreams about where they wanted the game to go and what they would work toward and other than the famous and idiotic "CW will be 90 days after open beta" by Russ they really didn't give any timeline for all the ideas they had. At the time, they also had IGP calling some or all of the shots ... which did not help either ... and PGI completely fumbled and continues to lack in their community relations but those are other issues and mostly ancient history.

I just don't agree with the way development went at all. I bought the game/founders pack based off of their promised features, a lot of which to this day still aren't present in the game and IGP is gone so that's no longer an excuse. From the start their primary focus has been releasing a ton of mechs, to make more money, while core gameplay features take years to implement or get scrapped altogether.

Edited by JayTac, 24 February 2016 - 02:11 PM.

#112 Melioetta Zyguard

• Pip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

I spent on the highest MC amount hours before they were giving out free Griffin mastery packs.

#113 CreativeAnarchy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

I bought the Warhammer, the 4 mech pack. I'm quite happy with it after I started to run a pair of AC5s and the one that gets me some extra C-bills is kind of handy.

I might get a few more garages but I'm not too keen on a lot of other mechs so that probably isn't going to happen. Unless there is an assault pack that I like the looks or possibly the hard points, I don't plan on purchasing much else.

I don't care about cosmetic stuff too much, looking good is nice but it isn't something that I'm going to be compelled to get with real money.

My premium runs out about when I'm going to start to do outdoor stuff and my gaming drops when I start doing those things, especially when I go ride my bike, I'm quite exhausted after a good ride and can't focus enough to really play right away so my game time drops. I'm going to get a degree this fall so I don't plan to play much after August.

This game also doesn't have enough that I really feel the need to continue to support the game. It is fun but there isn't a whole lot to do that would compel me to continue to purchase stuff. I usually spend a decent amount per month when a game has a lot of different things for me to do. GW2 for example had plenty of different things that I usually bought some gems from the store quite often, usually for storage but I didn't mind as I played a lot. I played GW2 for about a year and a half, WvW got kind of boring since the maps didn't change the time I was there(after I left they added 1 map for WvW related but it isn't really a good map and the one replacing the boarderland map recently added isn't going to get me back there) I don't see this keeping my interest much beyond 6 months. DDO is another example, I spent quite a bit playing that game and played for a couple of years because there was a lot of stuff to keep me busy. This game doesn't have that much so playability for me will drop off a bit quicker.

For being out as long as this game has been, I had expected more to do. It just isn't there for me long term so I don't plan to spend much more on this game.

#114 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

• Some people take some perverse pride in not spending any money on the game, despite clearly having the financial means to support the game (judging by their computers, etc) and I simply don't respect that at all.

Let's say MWO had a $100 collectors set and charged a $15 a month sub. That would mean I am good for the next 10 years.

So no, I feel no need to provide them anymore money until they decide to act in good faith.

I am sorry but these fantastical amount of support people are imagining do not seem supported by sales of the Unseen, which should have been the be all and end all. People have not been able to pilot these mechs and yet maybe 3000 Rifleman? Maybe.

#115 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 24 February 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Let's say MWO had a $100 collectors set and charged a $15 a month sub. That would mean I am good for the next 10 years.
So no, I feel no need to provide them anymore money until they decide to act in good faith.
I am sorry but these fantastical amount of support people are imagining do not seem supported by sales of the Unseen, which should have been the be all and end all. People have not been able to pilot these mechs and yet maybe 3000 Rifleman? Maybe.

Sorry, but despite my best intentions, I honestly don't understand what you're saying or how it pertains to what I wrote. Could you perhaps rephrase it? Maybe I have poor reading comprehension.

#116 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yeah, but if you've played thousands of hours and never spent a dime, I wouldn't call it voting with your wallet.

Funny how some people don't want the street to cut both ways though.

"PGI doesn't owe you anything".

"You owe PGI for a free to play game".

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

Sorry, but despite my best intentions, I honestly don't understand what you're saying or how it pertains to what I wrote. Could you perhaps rephrase it? Maybe I have poor reading comprehension.

Let's just go with the latter.

#117 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 24 February 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

Funny how some people don't want the street to cut both ways though.
"PGI doesn't owe you anything".
"You owe PGI for a free to play game".
Let's just go with the latter.

Ah, you want to play it like that. I was trying to have a conversation. Never mind then.

#118 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yeah, but if you've played thousands of hours and never spent a dime, I wouldn't call it voting with your wallet. It's not the same as someone who was a Legendary Founder and bought Overlord package and then decided to stop spending until PGI gave them the CW that was promised in 2013. Or even someone who started playing in 2015, but stopped spending after a while, because they didn't feel the game had enough content to earn it.

If you've played thousands of hours and you have money, but you're "voting with your wallet" and "waiting for PGI to earn it", I'd say you're just rationalising the fact that you're being cheap.

Posted Image

Don't you think that they are actually helping the company by playing the game?

Sure its nice to have people who support something they spend a lot of time on, but deciding to pay PGI or not all depends on the player and no one else. And he/she can rationalize it in whatever way they want.

as long as the server is well populated, they are doing their job of supporting the game.

#119 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 24 February 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

And with the $250 or so that I threw down (mostly up front), that still comes to $7/mo after 3 years. Not sure why anyone should think that shameful. Oh wait, I didn't play for a year. Brings my "subscription" up to a bit over $10/mo.

It's all about the perceived value. I dropped $1000 in 2004 on WWII Online for their lifetime builder plan and because I was sick of paying monthly. Been playing that game off and on for 15 years now, it was well worth the perpetual membership. Do they deserve more simply because of that? Not after 8 years of Keystone Kop Development. Same thing here.

#120 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

View PostMead, on 24 February 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

And with the $250 or so that I threw down (mostly up front), that still comes to $7/mo after 3 years. Not sure why anyone should think that shameful. Oh wait, I didn't play for a year. Brings my "subscription" up to a bit over $10/mo.

It's all about the perceived value. I dropped $1000 in 2004 on WWII Online for their lifetime builder plan and because I was sick of paying monthly. Been playing that game off and on for 15 years now, it was well worth the perpetual membership. Do they deserve more simply because of that? Not after 8 years of Keystone Kop Development. Same thing here.

To Alistair's point, and I admit I was being unfair, he is not speaking to you or anyone else that has paid their fare.

And you make good points too.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users