What Percentage Of Active Players Spend Money On This Game?

156 replies to this topic

#61 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:00 AM

$20 MC
$15 WHM basic pack.

Until the game has more content other than just more mechs, I'll keep my purse string tight.

#62 ILikePeaches

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:06 AM

Over $200. Probably the most I've ever spent on a game. I really needed my MW fix, especially after MW5 was canceled. Posted Image But I'm glad the game keeps getting better. I've thrown cash at some games that got stuck in limbo or were sorely disappointing.

#63 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

I think as far as f2p games go, this one has a pretty good conversion rate, despite its failings

#64 Totenxcx

• PipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

50$ MC
20$ MC
35$ Kodiak + Spirit bear

I actually have to commend PGI on getting me to spend 100 bucks on their game as I'm a very frugal person.

#65 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

Only two I spent money on were Legendary Founder and Phoenix Overlord. Around $250?

Then things happened, roadmaps were altered, and I'm still waiting for gameplay content before making further purchases.

Edited by Mead, 24 February 2016 - 03:26 AM.

#66 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:40 AM

View PostILikePeaches, on 24 February 2016 - 03:06 AM, said:

Over $200. Probably the most I've ever spent on a game. I really needed my MW fix, especially after MW5 was canceled. Posted Image But I'm glad the game keeps getting better. I've thrown cash at some games that got stuck in limbo or were sorely disappointing.

Did you back that battletech Kickstarter?

#67 Tamwulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 51 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

Almost did the Founder thing, but I wanted Clan Mechs right away, not wait a year for them. And the beta of the game wasn't all that fun. I still have my original Raven from back then... So I walked away from the game until October 2015, and got back into it.

What have I bought?
MC/Premium Time
Timber Wolves (4)
Cauldron Born Pack
Shadow Cat Pack
Marauder Pack
Warhammer Pack
Mad Dogs (3)
Kodiak (4)

With the MC, I've bought colors, cockpit items, camo patterns, and a couple mechs. I don't mind- video games are a hobby, and I budget for a hobby. I'm having fun, and if I didn't spend the money on this game, I'm sure I'd spend it on something else equally frivolous.

In game micro transactions and pay for better items in a free to play game are the future of video games. You can call it play to win if you want, but it's a business model that isn't going away any time soon.

#68 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

Here's all of what I've bought:

-90$ Summoner Package + 55$ A la Carte Timberwolf

-40$ Marauder Package

-40$ Enforcer Package Resistance 1

-20$ Jenner IIC Package

-20$ Kodiak Package

~100$ of MC

#69 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

Most of the heroes (only @ 50% off)

Resistance packs, Clan 1 &2, Urbanmech

Some colors when they were on crazy sales early on.

Bunch of mechbays @50% off

Camo Patterns and even a couple cheap heroes I wouldn't have bought otherwise were gotten with in-game winnings.

They've gotten their money from me, now its time for them to develop a game or see my wallet continue to stay closed to them.

#70 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

I bought the Shadowcat package, nothing for a year before that, probably $200 in total. I'm also done spending money on this game until there's some more depth to it. New mechs are cool but they're just fluff on top of a boring game.

#71 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:36 AM

Sigh :) ... might as well contribute my list ...

Founders $120
Phoenix $80
MC $30
Sarah's $10
Clan Wave I (to DWF) $120
Clan IIC (to Orion) $60
Urbanmech (base pack) $20
Marauder (base pack) $20
Archer (base pack) $20 (considering adding the hero for an extra $15 .. maybe for my birthday :) ).

Total $480 over almost 4 years. Definitely a low level whale compared to some. I picked up the IIC pack just to get some variety of clan mechs and to have some clan mechs I could fully configure. However, I play IS most of the time though I have been leveling up some Stormcrows I bought for cbills.

The big problem with this revenue model for PGI, however, in my opinion, will be saturation. Past a certain point, unless you are a collector, the new mechs will have a declining sales trend since they overlap existing mechs in capability or role. So, long term the mech sales will likely decline to the entrenched player base.

To keep revenues up they need to develop products that are useful on an on-going basis ... make premium time more attractive for example ... or come up with other services or items that are not pay to win but which could be done on an on-going basis. Maybe provide a "paint shop" subscription that allows you access to all colours and patterns for all mechs on a subscription basis. If the subscription lapses the mech decorations go back to only what you own. Some folks would pay $5 to $10 a month for that type of service.

#72 Percimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

Hmm...

Heroes:
Flame
The X-5
Loup de Guerre
The Arrow
Ember
Sarah's Jenner
Misery
Bounty Hunter II

Packs:
Phoenix Overlord Pack
Resistance I Wrath Pack (Zeus)
Firestarter Mastery Pack)
Resistance II Mauler Pack
Marauder Pack

#73 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:04 AM

More people buy than PGI deserves at this point. I am in almost 4 figures and while it is no big deal I regret giving it to PGI.

#74 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:06 AM

I've spent money on this game. I was going to buy the YLW but was pissed when I saw how ****** the right ballistic hardpoint looked.

#75 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

Literally everything except for the Gold Mechs and the 20$ packages as I do not want the same mech twice, one as a normal and the same Mech as a "Hero", if PGI had added a 4th varient in there Re-seen Packs I would have bougth the top package as well as the normal ones that I did buy. Yes I am a Mech Messy, but then I have over 350 Mechs as Figures (Ral Partha) lying around so I am not suprised. MWO is the game I have spent the most money on (and will continue to spend money on) so far by a LARGE ammount.

Edited by Eric Wulfen, 24 February 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#76 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

I realize there are those who have the view that only by NOT spending on the game will it force PGI to provide a better game.

I totally disagree with this notion. I like the game and I have and will continue to spend money on the game. I will send emails to PGI when I think they are making a mistake and criticize them here when appropriate. But as long as I enjoy the game and they appear to be making progress in directions I agree with I will continue to financially support them.

That said, I have spent probably $1500 on this game. Mostly mech packs and MC. I'm a bit off balance though and do things like buy mech packs for the badge and then dump the mechs, or buy a pack and then decide I don't like the mechs, sell em all and then buy em again down the road, or buy MC that I won't use because I like nice round numbers. Point is, I am an easy mark.

#77 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:17 AM

I've bought all the mech packs except goldies and the Kodiak. I do plan to keep buying stuff as I go.

#78 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 February 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

I realize there are those who have the view that only by NOT spending on the game will it force PGI to provide a better game.

I totally disagree with this notion. I like the game and I have and will continue to spend money on the game. I will send emails to PGI when I think they are making a mistake and criticize them here when appropriate. But as long as I enjoy the game and they appear to be making progress in directions I agree with I will continue to financially support them.

Cutting off revenue is precisely the best way to speak to them. Why should they change anything if you are still gonna buy what they dish out? I can't reward mediocrity or the staleness of the game since CW first launched. I have more than paid my dues but no more. If CW phase 3 and then phase 4 are game changers I will support monetarily again. Until otherwise Nope! Not deserving when the game isn't much different since 12v12.

#79 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

I've spent lots:

Phoenix - full
Resistance 1 - full
Resistance 2 - full
Urbie + Hero*
Marauder + Hero
Warhammer + Hero
Rifleman + Hero
Archer + Hero
Pirate's Bane
Death's Knell + 2 Commandos
Ember + 3 Firestarters
Sara's Mech + 2 Jenners
X-5 + 4 Cicadas
Arrow + 3 Blackjacks
Quarantine
Top Dog
Ilya + 3 Cataphracts
Dragon Slayer + 2 Victors
Hellslinger
Misery + 3 Stalkers
Heavy Metal + 3 Highlanders
Boar's Head + 3 Atlasesisiies

The extra variants I usually bought with cbills, but some were bought with MC. I've also bought a fair number of colors and patterns before finally settling on my current paint scheme.

*Dearest PGI: I put my money where my mouth is. I posted on that urbie thread for YEARS and when it became available, I threw down for the full package. I'll do the same for a Hatchetman with or without melee being implemented. Just saying.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 24 February 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#80 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

• Several $6.99 MC packs early on (Missed buying Founders because I was teh poor at the time)
  • Sarah's Jenner
  • Dragon - Flame (Ugh... I like Dragons, but these mechs are 3rd string now)
  • Cataphract - Murromets (Hardly play it anymore, outclassed now by many mechs)
  • Timberwolf a-la-carte
  • Hellbringer a-la-carte
  • Resistance 1 Pack - Full
  • Resistance 2 Pack - Full
  • Marauder standard pack (and gifted a standard pack to someone as well)
  • Gifted an Urbie package to someone.
  • Warhammer full pack

Edited by Weaselball, 24 February 2016 - 08:31 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users