What Percentage Of Active Players Spend Money On This Game?

156 replies to this topic

#81 Doman Hugin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

Founders & Phoenix

But since then they have bought out mechs faster than i can master them so I've no need to spend real money on mech's anymore, plenty of chassis for c-bill's i've yet to play with.

And with premium time at a similar price to other games subscriptions but with none of the perks, thats not realy worth it either.

So i've been playing quite happily for the last few years without spending anything.

#82 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 24 February 2016 - 08:18 AM, said:

Cutting off revenue is precisely the best way to speak to them. Why should they change anything if you are still gonna buy what they dish out? I can't reward mediocrity or the staleness of the game since CW first launched.

Cuz I like what they are dishing out so far. You don't. We both are speaking with our wallets.

That said, if we all did what you propose wouldn't it be just as likely that PGI goes out of business and the game disappears, as it is that they would somehow manage to modify the game to include all of the features you insist upon?

I might agree with your ideas (whatever they may be), but I am not willing to risk the game I enjoy going away. Thus, I support the company making the game I enjoy financially.

Sort of like people who enjoy public radio. They give money cuz they like it and want to support it. They don't withhold money because they don't like it...rather they just stop listening and turn to another channel.

#83 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 February 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

That said, if we all did what you propose wouldn't it be just as likely that PGI goes out of business and the game disappears, as it is that they would somehow manage to modify the game to include all of the features you insist upon?

At this point I would be perfectly fine if they went under. Almost rooting for it actually.

I played 4 games last night which were hardly enjoyable since quick matches don't mean or account for anything win or lose. There isn't anything more for me here. I have plenty of good mechs. Enough CB to buy anything I could want. I have nothing to do with built up XP, GXP, heck CB is useless since I don't need more redundant mechs. I have 11 open mech bays. I just need something persistent to get into now. CW that matters would go a long way with me. The mech combat is okay but it isn't so good it hooks you. Inconsequential "improvements" and "progress" have not really made a difference for gameplay. Gameplay is the same as it ever was with more mechs. Period. There is not much to dispute that fact if you realistically analyze the last 3 years.

#84 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 23 February 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

Just curious to see what others think. I'm guessing upwards of 80%. Almost everyone I meet has fancy paintjobs and custom skins. Plus, recently, at least 40% of players will be in a warhammer, marauder or rifleman.

In fact, I'm guessing that 30-50% are regular payers, and will constantly pay for new mechs.

I've bought the ACH pack (Stupid move, because its cheap on cbills), Dire wolf ala-carte, TBR-A, and the new Kodiak pack using real money. Spent heaps of MCs buying 1 TBR,2 SCRs, 1 KGC, plus heaps of skins and colours.

What have you guys bought?

Bought the Project Phoenix pack at OVERLORD, plus the SABRE REINFORCEMENTS.
Prior to that, had bought X-5, Sarah's Jenner (if you were there and didn't buy it, I want nothing to do with you), Dragon Fang, Jester, Firebrand.
Took a break right before the Clan invasion. Then came back last August.
Bought Wave 3 Cauldron-Born pack.
Bought a ton of MC since then. Used some of that to buy 3x TBR (Prime, C, S) and 3x SCR (A, B, C). Bought EBJ-C from gift shop.
Bought Origins IIC HBK-IIC pack.
Bought all four ICON packs; WHM and MAD at collector + hero, RFL at regular, and ARC at regular + hero.
Bought Kodiak regular + reinforcement + hero.
WANTED to buy more MC during the Sweet Deals thing, but some odd things happening IRL right now require those funds. Was going to pick up some sweet cockpit items and faction camo. Meh. There'll be another MC sale.
OH YEAH, also bought Raven and Blackjack mastery packs since the return in August. WHAT A GREAT DEAL THOSE ARE!

For a FREE TO PLAY game, I sure spend a lot of money on it. I've probably spent about as much this year on MWO, as I ever did on the entire Borderlands franchise (all 3 titles with season pass, plus TFTB season 1). The F2P model is a money maker.

#85 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 24 February 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

At this point I would be perfectly fine if they went under. Almost rooting for it actually.

Dude, in keeping with the analogy I made at the end of my post above. Sounds like you need to change the channel.
I'm not there yet. I like the vast majority of the game. So I will keep spending.

#86 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

Ah hell y'all made me remember how much dosh I've blown on this game again...

Then again... compared to rebuilding old cars, motorcycles, and traveling this is easily my cheapest hobby so whatever.

#87 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 February 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

Dude, in keeping with the analogy I made at the end of my post above. Sounds like you need to change the channel.
I'm not there yet. I like the vast majority of the game. So I will keep spending.

This. I honestly don't get the people that have railed against this game for YEARS. YEARS!

If something annoyed me that much, I'd just move on to something else. Star Citizen or whatever. There are plenty of other games out there.

While there are aspects of this game and its implementation that are head-scratch worthy, I'm still having fun, and that right there is why I play games.

#88 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

honestly, with this game I don't argue with the impulses. I buy what I want, when I want it, (and can afford it ofc)
unfortunately that's a lot and frequently. Posted Image

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 24 February 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

Then again... compared to -snip- this is easily my cheapest hobby so whatever.

^There, Right There

(and yes, that line was quoting the Clueless musical for a split second Posted Image ).

But that perfectly summarizes the point.

Edited by juxstapo, 24 February 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#89 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 24 February 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

This. I honestly don't get the people that have railed against this game for YEARS. YEARS!

If something annoyed me that much, I'd just move on to something else. Star Citizen or whatever. There are plenty of other games out there.

While there are aspects of this game and its implementation that are head-scratch worthy, I'm still having fun, and that right there is why I play games.

Oh I do play other games that get my financial support don't worry about that. One day I might let go completely but it doesn't take much to keep your finger on the pulse of this game. It is easy to tell that it will never be remotely what it could be and the devs are to thank for that.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 24 February 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#90 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

Legendary Founder
Sarah's Jenner
Overlord + Saber
Masakari
Man-O-War (Ultimate)
Wrath
Gladiator
Urbie (Collectors)

Several $100 MC packs spaced in there (I own all MC released heroes)
1 year of PT when it was on sale.

I think I added it all up at about $1400 at last count.

Hard Stop.

No more money until I see more game.

I've got the disposable income, but so far I've purchased all the Resistance II mechs for Cbills that have been released and put on sale (mastering other mechs right now, so no need to buy if not on sale). I can fill another 26 mechbays right now with my available MC.

PGI just doesn't want my money anymore.

Edited by RussianWolf, 24 February 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#91 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

$100 ($99.95?) for MC so I could make my 'mechs look purty.

that is all

#92 DJMarine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

Well I spent money on the founders pack, unfortunately, and after being burned on it and MWT I will never put further money into this game and support this company.

I say I was burned on the founders pack as a result of missed promises along with the game being several years behind development schedule. Never got what I paid for imo.

Then there's Mech Warrior Tactics. Again, bought a founders pack and where is that game even at? Completely abandoned without a word or single refund. I'd be a fool to give them another dime given how they treat their customers.

edit:

Here's another gem... Where the hell is my founders badge at!? Again, treated like **** as a founder.

Edited by JayTac, 24 February 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#93 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 24 February 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

More people buy than PGI deserves at this point. I am in almost 4 figures and while it is no big deal I regret giving it to PGI.

Yeah, I can honestly say that some (many) days I which I gave the money that I spent here to Flagship Studios. As badly as that game ended up burning me, it was a hell of a lot more game for the hundreds of dollars I spent on it.

#94 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

I activated my account on Feb 1st and bought a Marauder standard pack (20$) and 6.95$ MC to get the mechbay through Sweet Deals promotion. I'll probabily but Archer pack for upcoming LRMgeddon :D
Cheers,
D.

#95 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

il probibly pass the 100 mark when i drop a 20 on a kodiak.

#96 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 February 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Let's see...
  • A $50 pack of MC
  • Phoenix Overlord + Sabre
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Sparky
  • Clam Invasion Wave 1
  • Clam Invasion Wave 2
  • Clam Invasion Wave 3
  • Resistance Panther + Enforcer
  • Collector's Urbie
I think I might have gotten some other MC pack along the way, but I can't really remember. I actually feel kind of ashamed for spending this much on just a single game...

TL;DR: The Whale Effect is real.

Don't even get me started. Remember that little game Clash of Clans?

http://www.wired.com...eet-the-whales/

Lee could use those gems to immediately fortify his army. He tapped “Yes,” almost without thinking. In less than a month of playing around two hours a day, he’d spent nearly a thousand dollars.

Posted Image

#97 Scarlet Tempest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThule System

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Phoenix

Clan Invasion 1, 2 & 3

Origins IIC

Kodiak

roughly 200 ish USD in MC

They keep releasing clan mech packs I'll keep buying them lol ¬¬ I don't even pilot heavy / assaults but I have them just because I want to be able to say I own every clan mech. It's an addiction I know.

#98 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

For me

- Marauder Collector with Hero
- Warhammer Collector with Hero
- Archer Collector with Hero
- Numerous MC packs of various sizes
- this has gone mostly to cockpit, colors, and one shots
- Gifted a standard Marauder
- Gifted a Collector Rifleman

Not as bad..er... expansive as many but I really like the game so don't mind my gaming budget.

Given it looks to be clan mechs and such for a while and I only play IS and I've got the at least two chassis per weight I wanted I'll be back to only the occasional MC purchase to keep premium up. Posted Image

Edited by Morggo, 24 February 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#99 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

Answer to OP's question would depend on the definition of "active", I think. Of those who play regularly, my hunch is a good majority (80% ?)have spent some $/€. This is just based on the number of badges you see in-game. Of those who don't have badges probably many have bought some MC for colours/premium time.

Now on top of those I bet we have tens of thousands of people who only play very irregularly or only played for a short time. Of those probably few spent $/€. But since they play so little, they don't make up a big part of the server population at any given time.

Personally:

30 days premium time + BJ Mastery Bundle when I started.
Crab Pack
Grey Death
X-5 (at 50% off)
A silly amount of MC for camos, pretty colours, cockpit paraphernalia

All in all ~$200

#100 Pilotasso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 365 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

I only bought the original founders package. Reason being I wont be using real money to buy new mechs in order to keep chasing after ever changing balancing nerfs/buff on every patch. Its just throwing money away.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users