BattleMechs News

118 replies to this topic

#61 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

Wait doesn't some company own the rights to hand held weapon in pictures?

On a more serious note I am not to excited about the blue top and white legs on the hero I guess it is. Also the cockpit glass is not the best and that gun is really under whelming. Everything else looks good though and its easy to be a critic.

The cockpit glass being like that may be excellent for piloting and VR though.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 February 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#62 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 February 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

On a more serious note I am not to excited about the blue top and white legs on the hero I guess it is.

Pretty sure that's the (S) variant for the Collector's edition.

#63 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 27 February 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

Pretty sure that's the (S) variant for the Collector's edition.

The white and gold one will look over the top amazing as black and gold.

#64 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 February 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

On a more serious note I am not to excited about the blue top and white legs on the hero I guess it is.

That's not Hero, but Collectors' variant. I would bet that this livery is a nod to Crescent Hawks mercenary group.

Sir Paul Masters' and Shin Yodama's variants are Hero Mechs.

#65 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

Handheld pistol definately in my opinion is a dubitous move. None such thing is present in the game (wolverine and others have attached boxes, but they do not 'hold' anything in hands) and I hope none will be in this game. I really dislike all those anime-style robot-pistlos/rifles/swords/etc. This pistol will clash with all other designs. And if it comes to the game will it be a fixed equippement?

Edited by pyrocomp, 27 February 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#66 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:16 AM

Cockpit looks pretty ugly imo

#67 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image

#68 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 27 February 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Posted Image

THANK YOU.

#69 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 27 February 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

Handheld pistol definately in my opinion is a dubitous move. None such thing is present in the game (wolverine and others have attached boxes, but they do not 'hold' anything in hands) and I hope none will be in this game. I really dislike all those anime-style robot-pistlos/rifles/swords/etc. This pistol will clash with all other designs.

Handheld weapons have been present in the BattleTech universe since the very beginning until the current era. From the Griffin, the Wolverine or the Phoenix Hawk etc. to some brand new designs such as Atlas III or the Storm Raider. They all have such weapons.

Ditto for physical weapons. Since the first TRO3025, almost every TRO has had at least one (or more) 'Mechs armed with Melee weapons such as Hatchets, Swords or Lances or some similar close combat weapon.

I am pleased that this new Phoenix Hawk looks as it should (within limits of MWO art and mechanics.

View Postpyrocomp, on 27 February 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

This pistol will clash with all other designs. And if it comes to the game will it be a fixed equippement?

Currently we don't know.

#70 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 February 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

Handheld weapons have been present in the BattleTech universe since the very beginning until the current era. From the Griffin, the Wolverine or the Phoenix Hawk etc. to some brand new designs such as Atlas III or the Storm Raider. They all have such weapons.

Ditto for physical weapons. Since the first TRO3025, almost every TRO has had at least one (or more) 'Mechs armed with Melee weapons such as Hatchets, Swords or Lances or some similar close combat weapon.

I am pleased that this new Phoenix Hawk looks as it should (within limits of MWO art and mechanics.

I know that handheld weapons are a part of BT universe. But as the art and general design of this game goes those things were out. As integral parts of mechs - ok, but as just plainly held in arms, I really do not like it. It's just too much not to my taste. I get that other people may think otherwise, but the absence of all those standart for JRPG and generic mechashooters hend held automatic rifles, extra thin and lon legs, main caliber guns with half-mech diameter and other wunderwaffels and gundams were a main appeal to me. I really dislike cartoonish and animeish (in its worst) design thrend in games. I know were many of the mechs come from, but still, I hoped for unique style. So seeing a distinct pistol when all previous mechs with those handheld weapons were stripped of them strickes as a bit illogicsl step. If the design principles were chosen years ago, why change them now? I doubt the game will benefit from it.

As for the fixed equippement in 'that pistol'... imagine if it would be free of it and you will be able to cram (as it will be a hand component) ERPPC there. Or AC20. Just for lulz. And how it will look in-game (And will they shrink the weapons geometry to fit it? Or will they expand that pistol to house that? Or will they add restrictions to mechlab?). Bizzare and alien. Just like resource collection riggs in Conquest. Yes, designed along familiar rules, but... WTF they are? So, I really hope this thing will not make it to the game in the end. Too many things will be offended. From general logic of previous models and builds to the breaking long and fanatically upheld dynamic geomentry.

#71 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 27 February 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

I know that handheld weapons are a part of BT universe. But as the art and general design of this game goes those things were out. As integral parts of mechs - ok, but as just plainly held in arms, I really do not like it. It's just too much not to my taste. I get that other people may think otherwise, but the absence of all those standart for JRPG and generic mechashooters hend held automatic rifles, extra thin and lon legs, main caliber guns with half-mech diameter and other wunderwaffels and gundams were a main appeal to me. I really dislike cartoonish and animeish (in its worst) design thrend in games. I know were many of the mechs come from, but still, I hoped for unique style. So seeing a distinct pistol when all previous mechs with those handheld weapons were stripped of them strickes as a bit illogicsl step. If the design principles were chosen years ago, why change them now? I doubt the game will benefit from it.

But it seems to me that the opposite (than you say) is true. As for those last four heavy Unseens (Warhammer, Marauder, Rifleman and Archer), PGI has followed their original appearances quite faithfully (with some artistic license of course) - and it has paid off:
Yesterday Russ told us that the sales of those 'Mechs have been very good. PGI could have steered closer to the Reseen territory, but the reality shows that their decision to stick with their original looks has been actually correct. PGI - and hopefully the game - has benefited from it.

I guess that this is the reason why PGI follows the original Phoenix Hawk's design instead for example the Reseen one. If it has worked with previous four 'Mechs, it's a logical assumption that it will work with the Phoenix Hawk too.

View Postpyrocomp, on 27 February 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

As for the fixed equippement in 'that pistol'... imagine if it would be free of it and you will be able to cram (as it will be a hand component) ERPPC there. Or AC20. Just for lulz. And how it will look in-game (And will they shrink the weapons geometry to fit it? Or will they expand that pistol to house that? Or will they add restrictions to mechlab?). Bizzare and alien.

What about simply waiting to see it in the actual game? I think that it would be wiser than labelling something "Bizzare and alien." if all you have is just one piece of concept art.

#72 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

At the very least I hope it fits well in the 45 ton niche. The blackjack is a machine, but the vindicator is all but forgotten in the grand scheme of things.

#73 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 February 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

What about simply waiting to see it in the actual game? I think that it would be wiser than labelling something "Bizzare and alien." if all you have is just one piece of concept art.

Surely we will see it in a few month, but all the recent mech models were true to their concept art...
Anyway, I'm not so convinced that it is the style closer to Unseens and not the fact that they are Unseen that drive Classics sales. Anyway, we'll see where it will come later.

#74 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Not to sound all "bah humbug" or anything but I don't see the draw. The "engines" are going to make for easy targets on the side torsos and the Phoenix Hawk is really just a laser Blackjack. It might end up going a little faster but, for MWO, is it really going to be that big of a deal? Also, remember, everyone was going nuts when they announced the Griffin, Shadowhawk, and Thunderbolt.

#75 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

plot twist, when you pilot the phoenix hawk, MWO becomes a third-person action shooter.

Edited by Moldur, 27 February 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#76 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

View Postmartian, on 26 February 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

The upcoming 'Mech is .... the Phoenix Hawk!

June Patch!

I love this agile medium 'Mech from BattleTech and I am happy to see it in MWO.

Standard variant
Posted Image

Collectors' variant
Posted Image

Sir Paul Masters' variant
Posted Image

Shin Yodama's variant
Posted Image

dear lord i want. I'll get the collecters and the heros.

Also is that the UNSC's new ODST armor? That head sure looks like a Halo's ODST helmet.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 27 February 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#77 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

Looks great. I like the pistol and woukd also take a. beam saber.

#78 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

When will we be able to preorder this? Asking for a friend.

#79 Vashramire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Russ said Wed. March 2nd.

#80 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

View Postgh0s7m3rc, on 26 February 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

Hooray for the Phoenix Hawk, it's always been my favourite! Posted Image The concept art is cool, no complaints from me; makes me wonder, if the Phawk is coming with a gun, will be Battlemaster ever be modified to have one too? Posted Image

I really hope to see the Battlemaster redone. Seeing that rounded canopy instead of the current boxy canopy would be nice. Also, if they could revamp that right arm a wee bit to mimic the hand held gun (to an extent), that would be cool as well.

The P-Hawk will be awesome to have. I hope PGI does it justice and give it the same 9 Lives hit boxes and structure like they did to the Arcit Cheeter. THAT would be wondrous!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users