What Mech Do You Least Want To See/ Hope Never Makes It Into Mwo?

141 replies to this topic

#61 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 28 February 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

it's not how many big guns you can fit in it, but in addition you can put some 12 MGs to it... which means MG can never be balanced to be a useful weapon in small numbers without adding some ghostMGexponential heat

1) because we see such signs of MGs getting made useful.....
2) this Thought also blocks the Piranha. Screw that.
3) yes because a50 kph barn door with a 125m effective range is soooooo terrifying.

#62 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 28 February 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

Black Lanner.

Posted Image

I hate it with a passion, because I see its community appeal as "in the way" of what we actually need: non-s**t tier mechs in our medium stable. I understand the mech looks cool as hell. Or at least it can. Or it can look like a developmentally defective chicken, depending on the artist....

Posted Image

However, any 55 ton mech with 11 tons of pod space being selected before 40-ton mechs with MORE pod space or 50 ton mechs with DOUBLE the podspace of this ... hinderance is harmful. It is more important to the Clan lineup to have solid options, there, than rule of cool at the moment. When we have good options, then I would not mind, but right now we don't. It is either the Stormcrow or "why bother with a Clan medium?"

Amy of those being chosen over the clearly superior Vapor Eagle should be grounds for mandatory b*tchslapping IMO.

Also, that first pic is literally the only time the Lanner didn't look like crap. Actually does look cool. But the mech is indeed crap, still

View PostTarogato, on 28 February 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

How about all of them? This community is too-mech happy and not enough content-happy. I say f*** the mechs. We have all these mechs and nothing to do with them except deathball. It's getting old. Wish they would allocate their resources better to providing content faster instead of taking YEARS to introduce new gamemodes and maps or any reason to fight that extends beyond the matches. CW is terrible at this, only player-run competitive leagues have really succeeded at this.

Indeed!. Let's remove PGI's revenue stream and see how much faster things get developed!

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 February 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

1. Hitboxes won't matter much when it is hill humping with those high mounted arms--something which Dire Wolf, or indeed any Clan Assaults we have, cannot do.

2. Having no quirk doesn't matter much when it can dish out ungodly amount of damage without it.

3. It will still have 19 tons of armor. If King Crab is not considered glass cannon, neither should the Bane. And unlike the Dire Wolf, it can change engines to go faster, so no fear of nascaring.

PGI will have to pull off a Timberwolf-A and give the Bane severe negative quirks just to put it in the game. Otherwise, PGI will have to increase quirks for the rest of the mechs, making the powercreep abundantly real.

except that to use those arms also exposes their entire side torsos because of the flat wide design.

I get it, the bane is your bogeyman. But no, it's actually quite balanceable

#63 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostZordicron, on 28 February 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

Z'Gok... oh, I mean Karhu:
Posted Image

Holy Hell, that's pretty much straight up a Z'Gok, I'm building a RG Z'Gok Char version right now, so... I KINDA want this. lol

#64 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

Just as we all have favorites, most of us, I'll wager have mechs we just plain loathe.

Maybe it's LAMs. Or Super Heavies like the Ares. Maybe it's a fanboi face, or anything Clan, Dark Age, etc. What mech would you sell your grannie's kidney to keep OUT of MWO?

Me?. The MadCat mkII, duh! Posted Image

No, not really, just having some fun with my "notoriety".

I actually have a number of mechs I actively dislike, and even more that I just ask " Why"?

Before the Dark Age it was, hands down, the Kintaro. Stupid looking robo-chimp. Then DA came along, and all those silly winged Jade Falcon mechs like the Eyrie went right to the head of the class.

But out of those that have potential to make it into MWO?

Unreasonable I know, but I loathe the Hatamoto. LOATHE IT, I say. Didn't used to pay out any mind. Then in the late 90s, some schmuck decides to try to cash in on the burgeoning Anime interest in the States, and gave the bloody thing a katana.

This ain't power rangers, Gundam or Voltron. While nonsensical, one could make some case for clubs and hatchets. But swords?. Useless against heavy armor.

And what's up with the Hatamoto to begin with?

Seriously. It's a retread of the Thug copypasta'd onto a Charger given an Ultraman makeover. It's lazier than Paul's balance efforts and your average Tryhards mech build, combined. Can somebody just unleash an internet work wiping all mention of it from existence?

K, thx.

Okay, that my "I hate this mech and so should you" rent. What's yours?

Actually I completely agree with you, before the dark ages it is the complete devil spawn for exactly the reasons you gave.

Other runners I hold with equal contempt, are the Madcat II its a basement living boys mech that wants to be a bully, but lacks the skills to do it in an OP heavy mech.

The Zues X. take a sensible build and then put a winged sanitry towel on its back to make it look 'cool', or as dumb as the other winged mechs

Annihilator Smiling Easter Egg with guns.

As for mechs already in the game two I hold with contempt

Battle Master I want my pot bellied Gundam dammit not something made out of Tractor parts from Joe's Garage.

Trebuchet somehow a beefed up Comando with Lurms became a piece of toast with arms and legs yuck !

#65 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostCathy, on 28 February 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Annihilator Smiling Easter Egg with guns.

Wanna say that to this guy's face down below?

Posted Image

#66 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 February 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

except that to use those arms also exposes their entire side torsos because of the flat wide design.

I get it, the bane is your bogeyman. But no, it's actually quite balanceable

Yeah, by negative quirks. Cause the mech is a walking power creep.

#67 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 February 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Actually, mech armor is not brittle or it would not stand up to ballistics or explosives. Or PPC lighting. The surface layer is brittle, the next several layers combine to make it more durable.

"The first layer is extremely strong Titanium alloyed with steel, the result of crystal alignment and radiation treatment, which is also very brittle."

"The second layer is a ceramic, cubic boron nitride, which combined with a web of artificial diamond fibers acts as a backstop to the steel layer." = Brittle

"These two layers rest atop a titanium alloy honeycomb structure which provides support, and a layer of self-sealing polymer sealant which allows for space and underwater operations." = Thin, rigid framework holding it together and for mounting on Mech chassis.

Battlemech Armor is Brittle. It's so brittle it has been made a note of more than once in official texts how mishandling it can ruin it. It is ablative armor at its very core and it doesnt particularly like Ballistic weapons, being designed more for defense against Energy weapons.

But it's not just the armor that is in question, as you say, on the whole, it's not plate armor. The length of the sword not only dampens its penetration, but it's inherently weak. Whay helps a traditional sword is springiness, flex to the steel. Mechcalibur would not have that same degree if spring. It'd would be more fragile, and should have a chance to break on any hit.

That depends on the forging methods. The length of the blade, combined with the width and thickness does increase penetration of slashing attacks because, well, physics. But are we talking about a Gladius versus a Katana here or what? Kats arent particularly effective at piercing compared to a Gladius while a Claymore has more slashing power... But Hatamoto carries a Katana, so... Katana then?

Edited by DrxAbstract, 28 February 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#68 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 27 February 2016 - 11:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

Plz PGI, plz. Posted Image

I want the Dervish. but not looking like that. That artwork looks like it got tired of having sand kicked in its face, and spent the next six months working out in the Gym.

I want the couch potato version from the TRO

View PostFupDup, on 28 February 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Posted Image

Says IIc :P

Also an easter egg with a Phoenix Hawk head stuck on top, is still an Easter egg ;)

#69 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostCathy, on 28 February 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

I want the Dervish. but not looking like that. That artwork looks like it got tired of having sand kicked in its face, and spent the next six months working out in the Gym.

I want the couch potato version from the TRO

Fear the rippling pectorals and rumbling gastrocnemius!

#70 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 28 February 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

"The first layer is extremely strong Titanium alloyed with steel, the result of crystal alignment and radiation treatment, which is also very brittle."

"The second layer is a ceramic, cubic boron nitride, which combined with a web of artificial diamond fibers acts as a backstop to the steel layer." = Brittle

"These two layers rest atop a titanium alloy honeycomb structure which provides support, and a layer of self-sealing polymer sealant which allows for space and underwater operations." = Thin, rigid framework holding it together and for mounting on Mech chassis.

Battlemech Armor is Brittle. It's so brittle it has been made a note of more than once in official texts how mishandling it can ruin it. It is ablative armor at its very core and it doesnt particularly like Ballistic weapons, being designed more for defense against Energy weapons.

That depends on the forging methods. The length of the blade, combined with the width and thickness does increase penetration of slashing attacks because, well, physics. But are we talking about a Gladius versus a Katana here or what? Kats arent particularly effective at piercing compared to a Gladius while a Claymore has more slashing power... But Hatamoto carries a Katana, so... Katana then?

Yes, I read that armor description too, hence my comment. Note only the first layer says "brittle".

As for the sword a mech scale sword would no more be forged like a man sized sword than mechs wear medieval armor.

#71 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 27 February 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

https://youtu.be/mjEcj8KpuJw?t=1m19s

That's why there's no Green Knight in Battletech.

Damn you I clicked the link, I was going to do something constructive, but now i'm watching monty Python on youtube and making smart arsed comments here

#72 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 February 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yes, I read that armor description too, hence my comment. Note only the first layer says "brittle".

As for the sword a mech scale sword would no more be forged like a man sized sword than mechs wear medieval armor.

Did you see the components? Doesn't take much material knowledge to know both the first and second layers are brittle with the 3rd being more for structural support of those layers than actual protection. It's brittle and ablative (which means designed to flake, absorb and evaporate rather than withstand) and supported by official sources... Ergo Brittle.

And that is one of the worst analogies I've seen you use yet, Bishop. They're definitely forged, and forging processes will vary precisely because of the same factors of swords forged for people. Whether or not it uses the exact same techniques is irrelevant.

#73 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

I present the Imp. I can just imagine the designers their thought processes.

Guy 1: "Say everybody thinks that Atlas head is so scary right?"

Guy 2: "Right you are, super scary!"

Guy 1: "How about we make that really big, that would be even scarier right?"

Guy 2: "Righto man, awesomely scary, but how do you want to go about it?"

Guy 1: "Well see, we've got this scale model of a Union dropship here right...?"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I rest my case. The base concept is so incredibly bad I can't even see Alex making it look anywhere near good.

#74 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

there are probably dozens of old or original Battlemech art designs I would not want to buy for myself, don't really care what chassis they add to the game.

#75 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

Unreasonable I know, but I loathe the Hatamoto. LOATHE IT, I say. Didn't used to pay out any mind. Then in the late 90s, some schmuck decides to try to cash in on the burgeoning Anime interest in the States, and gave the bloody thing a katana.

This ain't power rangers, Gundam or Voltron. While nonsensical, one could make some case for clubs and hatchets. But swords?. Useless against heavy armor.

And what's up with the Hatamoto to begin with?

Seriously. It's a retread of the Thug copypasta'd onto a Charger given an Ultraman makeover. It's lazier than Paul's balance efforts and your average Tryhards mech build, combined. Can somebody just unleash an internet work wiping all mention of it from existence?

I LOATHE the Hatamoto. It's gone full Japanophile.

But I have quite a few mechs I cannot stand. Most are along the same vein as the Hatamoto and some of the Clan mechs where the design just completely leaves the BT universe and goes full potato. Kind of like a lot of the quad mechs like the Balius...

Edited by Saint Scarlett Johan, 28 February 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#76 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostFupDup, on 28 February 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Posted Image

Did MC Escher draw this? Each time I look at it I see a different mech walking in a different direction. Sometimes I see a mech within a mech. One second it was white and gold, the next blue and black. Put this in game and I will never leave the mech bay.

#77 Maaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 February 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

Of the remaining classic 40 tonnes my order of preference is:
- Vulcan: good hardpoint variety, JJs, unique look
-Assassin: mobility, JJs, compact frame. Mix of lasers and missiles a good blend for tonnage
-Sentinel: compact frame, Jack of all trades SharePoint, several highmounted weapons
-Whitworth: good potential loadouts, but slow. Only real interest is a support 40 tonnes is at least different, but meh
-Clint:. What does this even bring to the table that isn't already done, and done by any of the other choices?

The Whitworth may be one of my favorites units in TT. It`s cheap, and packs a good punch.

I always saw the Vulcan and the Sentinel as rivals. The Vulcan is an anti-infantry mech and the Sentinel is a infantry support one... Release them both and make a VS event Posted Image Posted Image

#78 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 28 February 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

I LOATHE the Hatamoto. It's gone full Japanophile.

But I have quite a few mechs I cannot stand. Most are along the same vein as the Hatamoto and some of the Clan mechs where the design just completely leaves the BT universe and goes full potato. Kind of like a lot of the quad mechs like the Balius...

Thunderstallion = DECENT quad concept
Balius = everything wrong in post 3050 battletech.

Well, then and WoB deathfrog quads like the blue flame.

#79 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 28 February 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

But I have quite a few mechs I cannot stand. Most are along the same vein as the Hatamoto and some of the Clan mechs where the design just completely leaves the BT universe and goes full potato.

I have no idea what you mean. Clan mechs all look incredible!

Posted Image

Oh.

#80 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 28 February 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

I have no idea what you mean. Clan mechs all look incredible!

Posted Image

Oh.

The redone version is nice..

Posted Image

View PostSnagaDance, on 28 February 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I present the Imp. I can just imagine the designers their thought processes.

Posted Image

I actually like the imp a lot..
/cries in the corner

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 28 February 2016 - 03:44 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users