#61 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:44 AM

View Postlordtzar, on 29 February 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

For LRMs to do that someone has lock them first. If you can see the enemy, you could always........shoot them with something that isn't LRMs. At least that way you'll do damage to them before they go into cover.

If someone is shooting another with a direct fire weapon then the player should be locking them already. If you do that, you can shoot damaged sections and get LRM support. Good players do that. Bad players don't. If they break off and run for cover then they aren't shooting your team anymore and you are manipulating the battlefield.

#62 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:49 AM

View PostGyrok, on 29 February 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

That is true...until...

1.) The spotter is focus fired and killed

2.) The UAV is shot down

3.) ECM moves in to cover the target

4.) the LRM boat is focused by a flanking force that kills it because LRM boat

The problem with this is...most people in the YOLO queue end up with a result above, and a terrible match score that reflects how poor the weapon system as a whole is...and they yell "stupid team" or "nubs" or berate everyone for "not holding locks".

To make my point...when someone comes in and announces they have LRMs, or they want/need locks....I do not lock a single target all match...and my clan mates will not either. Eventually, if you starve them long enough, they will figure out that they need something that is not LRMs on their mech...or they will drop in PSR enough they end up in the church of low skill.

Awww.. that is ok. If you want to screw your team over because you are petulant little child we really don't care. Keep acting like a try hard who thinks "poke and alpha" is actual skill.

#63 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

View PostGyrok, on 29 February 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

No, my understanding of this game is quite in depth, as a matter of fact.

I am not salty over LRMs. Not at all.

I am salty over people who keep taking LRMs and drag the team down. In YOLO queue, I get it...there are mostly derps in YOLO queue any way. In group queue...it is mind blowing. How can you agree to take a position as 1 of 12 mechs to do combat and carry your own weight, and bring a completely derp build with LRMs as a primary weapon system?

You should not talk to people you do not know in a condescending manner. Why are you so salty over the fact that LRMs are complete garbage? Why are you hurling veiled insults at people and make the assumption that they are a simpleton?

Maybe you should consider your own position...LRMs are garbage. Saying anything different is doing a disservice to people who might read this thread and think that the video is not valid because a bunch of derps are defending LRMs as a valid primary weapon system.

1. No you really don't grasp anything but what you enjoy and don't give a flying frick about what anyone else cares about.

2. You are extremely condescending and frankly have a really high opinion of yourself. Arrogence from a moron is pretty damn funny.

3. Yes you are salty about lrms because you obviously hate them, will screw over those who run them, insult them, and treat them like crap. Meanwhile you are all about making Clan mechs OP so you can alpha laser vomit your way to easy victories.

I truly hope PGI makes it so more than three alpha's in a match causes your mech to explode. All you pathetic try hards who think they have "mad skillz" will have to try to actually do something useful instead of poke and alpha or relying on your mechs to boost your "skillz".

Loser

#64 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostSable, on 29 February 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

has anyone ever considered.... not boating LRMs? like just using them in tandem with other weapon systems? I run my timberwolf prime almost stock loadout. Drop the 20s to 15s, remove the machine guns and add more heat sinks and the thing is a fantastic all around mech that can support/suppress enemy mechs as well as have a nice laser alpha. Maybe instead of boating you should compare meta mechs vs mixed buildmechs.

A good lrm boat pilot always takes backup weapons, tag if possible, bap and artemis. Sitting back and lobbing missiles at 1000m mindlessly is silly but new players will do that because there is nothing in the game that tells them to do otherwise.

Running LRMs only can be too hot. A 4 LRM-15 stalker is a lousy lrm boat. Way too hot. Of course if you run lrms only and the enemy closes then you are screwed which is why backup weapons are important. I always run them and do pretty well at fending off those who think an LRM boat is an easy target. I'm also not afraid to get up close and personal once the LRMs are out.

I'm a good lrm pilot, not a great one but I learned and still try to get better all the time.

#65 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:34 AM

He is missing the whole point of LRMs. They can be fired without the enemy being able to shoot back at you. They are also a low skill weapon which many people site as allowing friends and relatives with cerebral Palsy and other handicaps to be able to play MWO.

#66 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:59 AM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 01 March 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

He is missing the whole point of LRMs. They can be fired without the enemy being able to shoot back at you. They are also a low skill weapon which many people site as allowing friends and relatives with cerebral Palsy and other handicaps to be able to play MWO.

Gyrock should thank you becose you just give him the best argue Posted Image

Hey when you kill a mech he cant basically shoot back at you or teamates, lrms are the weapons system with more spread fire ever and indirect fire at 600-800 meters simply result at zero damage agaisnt most of targets in most of map.

Bringing some lrms in a build is ok but put 75% of your weapon tonnage in lrms and ammo without bring one TAG and ask everygame " can you lock for me ( and also take fire for him too ) " its simply wasting a mech slot in QP ... in group queue if lance or 12' have a plan with lrms .. why not.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 01 March 2016 - 05:32 AM.

#67 stocky0904

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

Some people here are such arrogant a....les. Unbelievable.

One suggestion from my side: Remove all weapons from the game except lasers. Remove all mechs from the game except all the clan meta mechs. ...or no, leave some underperforming IS-mechs in the game. You will need something you can (highly skillful of course) kill eye-to-eye/LOS/what ever.

Change the name of the game in LaserVomitOnline.

The only problem would be that nobody will play with you anymore.

#68 HerrRed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

I personally only have problems with LRM players when I read the dreaded "lrm boat here, please give me some locks" or something along those lines. That means that we will have one less player on the team. Add to that the "snipers" firing lasers over 1000 m away and you get 3 or 4 players out of the match. Then it is 8 vs 12 and you are pretty much done for. Yesterday for instance, I caught a team which had several lrms. It was river city, me and another busy were in DW. They focused fire on us and they had 4 players boating LRMs. Well, I lost one arm and got one leg cored, my busy didn't loose a thing and we won the match since those LRMs were pretty much needed when the rest of our team just rushed in and killed the rest of their team.

I use LRMs in some builds. My Mad Cat Prime is almost stock (removed mpl for a ml and added another heatsink for heat management) and I carry 2 lrm 20s with two tons of ammo as support weapons which is what they should be. I still have 2 LL 3 ML and 2/MGs to engage. I get my own locks and do direct and indirect fire which is sometimes useful. No problems.s with such builds.

#69 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

View Postlordtzar, on 29 February 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

Yeah, pretty much everywhere. Except the green bits.
all maps have cover. And you can drop them in the green too. There are positions and techniques you can use to drop them in there too. If you pm me I will tell you how but I'm not posting it here so I can get lurmed to death in cover lol

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 01 March 2016 - 05:48 AM.

#70 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:52 AM

View PostJman5, on 29 February 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

I used to run a Dakka + LRM build on my Direwolf S. It took some practice but it was really fun and surprisingly effective. The low speed of the direwolf means you spend a lot of time chugging forward without a direct line of sight. The LRMs allow you to contribute and the dakka turns up the heat once you get a clear line of sight. If you chain fire the LRMs it's a pretty cool build giving you good sustain. The LRMs really aren't as much of an investment as people think. The 3 LRM 10s take up less weight than just one of my UAC/10s.
I use a similar build on my DWF prime. It works wonders and the lrms have saved my butt so many times. If a mech doesn't have at least 1 missile slot so I can carry a rack of lrms I don't use it. Laser meta boats don't do very well against a range balanced mech lol. Gyrok is just butt hurt because he got clubbed by lrm boats when he was a baby seal, so now he campaigns against them. It's his version of forum ecm...convince everyone they suck so he doesn't have to be killed by them.

#71 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 01 March 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

Gyrok is just butt hurt because he got clubbed by lrm boats when he was a baby seal, so now he campaigns against them. It's his version of forum ecm...convince everyone they suck so he doesn't have to be killed by them.

He talk about people in his team who carry lrms and hide behind team.. are you saying that lrms boats are TKers and so he cry agaisnt lrms boat becose he doesn't have to be tked by them?

Edited by Idealsuspect, 01 March 2016 - 05:57 AM.

#72 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:00 AM

Oooh, did i miss the lrm bashing, yet? Mocking all dem noobs asking for teamplay to ripp off enemy armor to help getting advantage in brawling, using the only weaponsystem that actually needs good, patient teammates, who dont pedal to the metal nascaring 15 minutes "flanking".

#73 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 01 March 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

He talk about people in his team who carry lrms and hide behind team.. are you saying that lrms boats are TKers and so he cry agaisnt lrms boat becose he doesn't have to be tked by them?
been watching him for a long time here on the forums. He has a pathological dislike of lrms... much more than normal. He's definately been on the receiving end of a missile swarm lol. I think pretty much all the meta jackasses should shut their pie holes and stop telling everyone else how to play. I deliberately don't use meta builds just to piss them off when I kill them.

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 01 March 2016 - 06:02 AM.

#74 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:07 AM

Some men just want to watch the world lurm.

#75 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

I gotta say if you are relying on your team mates for locks and are more than 300m from the front line you are lurming wrong. Also, there are really only a handful of mechs that can do it well, and some of them aren't that well known and little used properly. Fitting lrm's does not make a lrm'r. ECM shouldn't be a problem either. You should be shooting them with a direct fire mentality.

The second line, just behind the assaults, supporting the push and presenting a target for the enemy to waste ammo on is where the lurmer should be and the effect can swing the match very quickly.

They are however a weapon system for open country. It's difficult to use them in CW as all matches are an attack/defense of a fixed installation and it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to see than when these locations where chosen by the factions to build a base, cover from massed indirect fire was an important consideration in their construction.

It's easy to lurm, hard to master :)

Edited by The Lobsters, 01 March 2016 - 06:18 AM.

#76 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 01 March 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

How odd I get the ***** shot out of me all the time.
Maybe because I'm standing up front with the brawlies.
Or maybe it's because I'm just a low skill noob.

#77 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

View Postlordtzar, on 29 February 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

It's not JUST about them spreading damage.

Sandblasting the dirt off the enemy mech if you hit at all

Cover
Radar Derp
ECM
Massed AMS
Relying on others to get locks
Being a free kill if/when someone flanks the team and finds you
Expecting others to spend 40k cbills for a UAV
Delayed damage
Not sharing the armor load with the rest of the team

I can go on and on. What it comes down to is that most maps are not LRM friendly. If there were maps that had an effect that made lasers do zero damage, and 90% of all maps had that effect.......I'd be saying the same thing about lasers.

LRM mechs can also share armor.. especially seeing LRM's work best in the 300-500m range, closer than just about every sniper weapon out there.. and just beyond the short ranged weapons, at least on IS side

You can get your own locks, but i still think a LRM lock boost for getting your own is in order, and you don't need others sending up UAV's for them to work.. What you really need are people that want to brawl, or push, verse hide behind rocks and play the 1k range game.. LRM's again work best as a second line, just behind brawlers.. OR start a push, and loose some armor, as you then drop back, and let the brawlers go in fresh, and your beat up mech landed some damage, and now you have fresh brawlers leading a push, while your damage mech is still pouring it on.

You don't need to boat LRM's for them to help.. you can also run other weapons that can push off anyone that tries that trick. Not to mention you should always have a buddy close bny, if you play an aggressive LRMer, and stick with the team. I can't count the number of times i have caught someone trying to sneak up on me thinking i am an easy kill, and either get destroyed, or run away blinking red

But what i find most interesting is the number one complain on these forums is focus fire, and pin-point damage.. and when people wanna use weapons that go against that typical thing you have to listen about how much they suck.

There are both the solo PUG cue, and the group/CW cue. Pugs are not on top of each other. and often people can be on different sides, or at least not in the same line of fire. So while two people with both direct fire could never hit the same spot.. One running LRM's and another on the other side, using direct fire, can actually be helped by the LRM damage..

another thing, Mass AMS? how often do you see that? in pugs, rarely, and upper levels? I have yet to see a top build that someone posts with AMS, because people don't use them.. But feel free to post um some, cause i am curious.

ECM is another thing that with the change, unless the mech is on top of each other, which means high end group, ECM is no longer the magic bubble, and i rarely find it the reason why LRM's are not doing damage in pugs..

I just find it interesting, how one of the hardest systems to use well, is always put down to the lowest and worse domination.. It's almost like a sniper has never hide, and sniped from 1k away, and never shared armor, and ended a match with less than 100 damage.. I know ill take a good LRMer that can drop 400-600 damage on my pug team any day of the week. And nothing more fun than listening to someone complain about getting killed by them, especially when you know they are in the upper tiers.

You are right about them in many ways.. But also wrong too... I really don't care if they work at high end levels.. But the games i play, they do... You know the Joys of playing pugs,, where a good LRM mech, or even one of those so called trash mechs are just fun to play, and people enjoy the game.

View PostRoadkill, on 29 February 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

If you play LRM mechs, don't be fooled by high damage numbers. It's pretty easy to do 500 damage in an LRM boat, but that's not the same as 500 damage in a laser vomit Mech. Again, the video demonstrates that LRMs need to do about 50% more damage than direct fire to destroy a Mech, so that 500 damage from LRMs only equates to about 330 damage from laser vomit. You need to be in the 700-800 range to really be doing well with LRMs.

You say that like someone has perfect aim.. I know my aim is not the best.. especially if i am just having an off night.. I've had matches in my laser vomit mechs that i pull 500-600 damage, and not a single kill. I know many peoples aim are not the best.. So direct fire 3 times.. it could be left torso, right torso, center torso.. or they could of done the same thing firing 3 salvos.

My best weapons, are weapons that work well under 250m.. My highest KDR mechs all fall under that... SO if i want a longer range mech, i often can do better in a mech with some LRM's... and no I never only boat them.. well my Cat 40's is as close as it gets, but most often it is 15 or 20 at most with pin-point back up weapons.

for example, my AC-20 mechs, i often can pull 3-4 kills, and a few most damage kills, and get maybe 350-400 damage.. My laser boat mechs always have less kills and more damage.

If people wanna kick people from their group drops and not allow LRM's i could care less.. I for one like variety, and love to see a line of site lock increase, and an ECM nerf which just slowed the lock..

But one of the things i find so interesting as they are always called no skill weapons, when for me, i find shooting something with a large laser, the easiest thing in the game to hit with.. and my my what a surprise, its the Meta

Edited by JC Daxion, 01 March 2016 - 09:33 AM.

#78 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostJman5, on 29 February 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

I used to run a Dakka + LRM build on my Direwolf S. It took some practice but it was really fun and surprisingly effective. The low speed of the direwolf means you spend a lot of time chugging forward without a direct line of sight. The LRMs allow you to contribute and the dakka turns up the heat once you get a clear line of sight. If you chain fire the LRMs it's a pretty cool build giving you good sustain. The LRMs really aren't as much of an investment as people think. The 3 LRM 10s take up less weight than just one of my UAC/10s.

I actually used to run this for quite a while: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...478705fefb3d384

For the very reason you stated...a couple of LRM15s with 2 tons of ammo will get you a little contribution as you amble along in your endangered space whale...and once you get there...Dub Gauss + 6 ERMLs is pretty nasty...

View PostDamia Savon, on 01 March 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

Awww.. that is ok. If you want to screw your team over because you are petulant little child we really don't care. Keep acting like a try hard who thinks "poke and alpha" is actual skill.

Keep acting like an ignorant scrub lord who thinks "hover cursor over red box and wait" is skill...

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 01 March 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

been watching him for a long time here on the forums. He has a pathological dislike of lrms... much more than normal. He's definately been on the receiving end of a missile swarm lol. I think pretty much all the meta jackasses should shut their pie holes and stop telling everyone else how to play. I deliberately don't use meta builds just to piss them off when I kill them.

No...I have even used LRMs before...but they are a completely shite weapon system right now...and to be honest...anything that allows you to shoot an enemy without having to expose your mech should realistically be shite.

Believe me, I was here through 3 lrmageddon's at this point...if they were OP...or even competitive, I would be using them in mixed builds...a la the DW build I posted in response to Jman.

However...they are not competitive, they are not OP, they are not even remotely close to being good. So, please, stop telling people LRMs are ok...they are not ok...they suck.

Edited by Gyrok, 01 March 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#79 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

against people who know what they're doing, LRMs are mostly ineffective. either they'll break locks and your LRMs will impact against a wall, or they'll charge you and your LRMs will fail to detonate

honestly I would love for LRMs behavior to be changed so they're worth using but aren't overpowered. making them follow the cursor on a flat trajectory with drastically increased velocity and pinpoint while an enemy mech is in LOS might be an interesting solution -- the way you aim them suddenly matters and you get to put the damage where you want it, but you have to stare at the enemy to do so.

#80 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 01 March 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

against people who know what they're doing, LRMs are mostly ineffective. either they'll break locks and your LRMs will impact against a wall, or they'll charge you and your LRMs will fail to detonate

honestly I would love for LRMs behavior to be changed so they're worth using but aren't overpowered. making them follow the cursor on a flat trajectory with drastically increased velocity and pinpoint while an enemy mech is in LOS might be an interesting solution -- the way you aim them suddenly matters and you get to put the damage where you want it, but you have to stare at the enemy to do so.

Yes i agree with lots of what you said on this.. Break cover, grab lock, have line of sight, and what um fly and blast a target.. a laser still might be quicker, or even a Gauss, but it would buff them for people that actually don't hide behind rocks most of the match waiting to alpha.

They need buffs that help at higher levels, and don't just destroy at lower..

The ECM god box, needs to be soft cover too.. increase lock time, not prevent it, especially when double covered

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users