Why Does The Kodiak And Phoenix Hawk Cost The Same Amount Of Dollars?

106 replies to this topic

#61 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

Because assault 'Mechs are not supposed to be "better" than other weight classes - according to PGI. Besides, they both took roughly the same amount of staff time to create and use roughly the same number of pixels.

This is a good point and it does have some truth to it, at least in my experience. I think that $20 is a good price point for the standard pack.

I think they do need to knock at least $5 off the ultimate pack price though. Usually with bundles like that there are discounts.

#62 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:04 AM

They cost the same because if the Phoenix Hawk were to cost what it should based on the awesomeness of being a Phoenix Hawk then noone in the world could afford it. :) I mean, It's a Phoenix Hawk!

#63 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:15 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 03 March 2016 - 01:23 AM, said:

mybe thats similar to the CTF? Agt leats one of them has for whatever reason a low engine cap.

Nope, thats because the 4X comes with a small engine (210) whereas most of them come with a 280. PGI has been reasonably consistent with engine cap rulings, until this mech where its getting an extra 30 ratings on every variant.

Its not gonna make it OP or anything, builds using engines larger than 325 wont be common. Its just annoying, because i would LOVE to use a 350 in my Grasshoppers, Maulers and Highlanders, but can't due to the engine cap rules they just broke for a different mech.

#64 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:49 AM

IS it worth 1-4 hours of your time?

If you can not buy it in 4 hours, you probably should not be looking at spending real money period.
If 1 hours or less is a drop in the bucket, why draw attention to yourself.

the 1-4 equation is up to the buyer, because that is a decent price for something if you use it.

#65 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:55 AM

I'm very torn on the Phoenix Hawk right now.

Part of me is "Buy all the Packs!", but another part is "That is way too much and many have multiple ballistics on a 45 ton machine :/"

Maybe a Collector Pack with the Reinforcement? I could spend $55 more reasonably than $85.

IDK, I'll have to think about this one for a bit.

#66 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:04 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 03 March 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

Part of me is "Buy all the Packs!", but another part is "That is way too much and many have multiple ballistics on a 45 ton machine :/"

Maybe a Collector Pack with the Reinforcement? I could spend $55 more reasonably than $85.

Tbh, in terms of which mechs will be best (obviously quirks are an unknown quantity here), $35 should do. Don't see enough potential in either the PHX-1 or either Hero to make it worth paying for the collectors pack or either of those. Best variant is the PHX-2, by a mile, with PHX-1B coming in second place, imo.

#67 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:07 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

Because assault 'Mechs are not supposed to be "better" than other weight classes - according to PGI. Besides, they both took roughly the same amount of staff time to create and use roughly the same number of pixels.

Lemme disagree completely with you.

PXH pack: 85$ for 8 mechs----> 10.625 $ (AND ONLY ONE CHASSIS for Alex and the 3D guys)

IIC pack 80$ for 16 mechs-----> 5 $ but 4(FOUR) different chassis to design.

Resistance 2? see IIC.

I bought Warhammer and PXH packs only.

I assure you, and pgi too, that I would have bought a lot more nostalgia packs and spent more if pgi was not so greedy Posted Image

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 03 March 2016 - 03:08 AM.

#68 Jzaltheral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:13 AM

What surprises me is that people were surprised by the price point. I looked at it and said, "Same price. Cool." and promptly plunked down my money. By same price I mean I get the same number of mechs for the same amount of money per mech. Let's be real - the early adopter path is there to help offset the development costs of the mech - nothing more, and nothing less. From that perspective, a mech is a mech is a mech. It takes X number of developer hours to create, and PGI has determined that the price structure they have is the magic number for maximizing ROI in actual cash money.

God forbid a business should try and make money. If you don't like it, don't buy it - it's not rocket science.

#69 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:17 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 03 March 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

Ballistic on relatively light mechs (and big engine too) is the bad way to go, indeed.

I agree with widowmaker, and I would add the 1K to the "best PXH" group, for those 8 E hardpoints, hoping that pgi will give it similar quirks of the 1X.

Anyway I've bought them all, 'cause I'm an old fart, remembering my best medium in TT.....

(it was the 3D, with 3erLL and 2mpl..... and pgi didn't wrote that "D" ....boooooo)

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 03 March 2016 - 03:20 AM.

#70 Tapdancing Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:21 AM

View PostZolaz, on 02 March 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

So 100 ton mech pack costs the same as the 45 ton mech pack? Why?

Because to different players medium mechs are just as fun - if not more fun - than assaults.

Heavier doesn't necessarily mean better to some people. Speed is life and all that.

#71 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:24 AM

But, but, clan packs always cost more because " clan xl, clan tech, clan tears" Now it doeant matter?

#72 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:26 AM

View PostZolaz, on 02 March 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

So 100 ton mech pack costs the same as the 45 ton mech pack? Why?

Because people are stupid enough to pay for for it.

#73 Jzaltheral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:29 AM

View PostAnarcho, on 03 March 2016 - 03:24 AM, said:

But, but, clan packs always cost more because " clan xl, clan tech, clan tears" Now it doeant matter?

PGI has changed their pricing structure a lot in the last year - or has no one being paying attention? And actually the IIC pack cost the same amount as both Resistance I and II. It was the earlier Clan Wave packs that were skewed higher.

#74 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

View PostJzaltheral, on 03 March 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

PGI has changed their pricing structure a lot in the last year - or has no one being paying attention? And actually the IIC pack cost the same amount as both Resistance I and II. It was the earlier Clan Wave packs that were skewed higher.

Because PGI believes Omnimechs are better than Battlemechs, for whatever reason (maybe because they all come with DHS and XL engines, but so does the Kodiak..). I bet anything you like another Omnimech Wave IV style pack will be $120 for the full pack.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 03 March 2016 - 03:38 AM.

#75 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:42 AM

View PostJzaltheral, on 03 March 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

IIC/res2----> 5$ per mech.
Nostalgia pack? Uberquirked expense.

Math doesn't lie.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 03 March 2016 - 03:43 AM.

#76 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:05 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 03 March 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

IIC/res2----> 5$ per mech.
Nostalgia pack? Uberquirked expense.

Math doesn't lie.

Math is that we have 1k skins now right? and we gonan get 2k skins soon, right? so of course mechs will now all be twice as expensive as before :P

#77 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 03 March 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

Nope, thats because the 4X comes with a small engine (210) whereas most of them come with a 280. PGI has been reasonably consistent with engine cap rulings, until this mech where its getting an extra 30 ratings on every variant.

Its not gonna make it OP or anything, builds using engines larger than 325 wont be common. Its just annoying, because i would LOVE to use a 350 in my Grasshoppers, Maulers and Highlanders, but can't due to the engine cap rules they just broke for a different mech.

300 in my Rifleman.

195 or 200 in my Locust.

250 in my Blackjack.

#78 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 March 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

Much as I tend to get accused of white knighting, I would like to know myself. Perhaps if they added an extra variant, but as is?

Also still feel the collectors should be $10 upgrade, not $20. And should be a token letting you choose which variant you want to be the "special" model. (1 time only, selected like one does faction content)

Likewise, IMO, the Ultimate Pack should come at like a 10% discount, or have extra stuff added to make it more appealing.

Hire Bishop for MWO Marketing department STAT. Do they even have one? I think not.

View Postsycocys, on 03 March 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

Because people are stupid Nostalgic enough to pay for for it.

And diplomatic enough not anger the people paying to keep the servers on so your cheap *** can keep playing for free....

#79 xTrident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 655 posts
  • LocationWork or Home

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:53 AM

No everyone, this is a good deal. We're talking about three mechs for the low price of $20! Not only that but PGI continuously works on MWO and they need to charge all they can so this game can continuously be developed!

Awesome work as always PGI. Fair prices for continued great new content that changes the game completely!

#80 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 03 March 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

300 in my Rifleman.

195 or 200 in my Locust.

250 in my Blackjack.

Exactly. Why does the PHX get to be special in this regard?

Although there is a good reason for the Locust, it would break the game engine if it had a higher cap.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users