- - - - -

Long-Term Motivation In Mwo?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Lysander

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

I've been playing MWO for about 2 months now, and latley i often ask myself, why should i continue playing?
Besides grinding LP or CB for new mechs theres nothing to do. While CW with a Unit is fun, its completely meaningless. Capturing planets or losing them, just doesnt matter, besides getting LP.
Mwo is a fantastic game, and i'd like to immerse myself deeper into it, but just waiting for April 19 and CW Phase 3 seems just kinda dull.

So, what keeps you playing besides Grinding?

#2 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

It's for grinding mostly X) , but probly for the same reason people play Counter strike, CoD and all that jazz , because we actually enjoy the gameplay?

#3 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

I'm playing for the challenges. So far I was hoping they would happen weekly :(

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

I play because I enjoy it, if you are not enjoying it what is the point.

#5 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:28 AM

Grinding is NEVER a good reason to keep playing a game.
I'm playing this game for more than 3.5 years, because I enjoy playing it, period. I just like death match, I don't need it to represent anything, I don't need lore, etc.
If you need incentive to keep you playing, I think you should do something else, something you really enjoy.
(edit: not that I think I should tell you what to do ; but my guess is you'll be bored pretty soon)

Edited by epikt, 03 March 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

I'll be honest, not much. I have found that playing less often does make it a bit more rewarding again after, but as with many multiplayer games without much point or story to them, there isn't a lot of reason to keep at it. Some games can capture a feeling of purpose pretty well. Some...not so much.

This is why I don't bother with the metas or the other nonsense and focus on just having fun. In the end that is all it boils down to. It also helps me kill time until Battletech (the PC game) is released. Beyond this I do 3D models of mechs from scratch lately and plan on doing some animations of what I wish a Battletech / MW game would be like.

Until Phase 3 of CW comes out, for a long term player like me there isn't much to do in the actual game.

For those who are new, the stuff will keep you busy til then.

#7 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

I don't have the opportunity to play for more than an hour and a half (tops) most evenings. During that time I play to master mechs. I like the variety. I play because I enjoy the game.

But to answer your real question, my "motivation" is to get the opportunity to play with my fellows on the FRR TS hub as part of a group. That is just really fun. I don't care if we are pugging, doing CW, or private matches. Its a blast playing with folks who also enjoy the game, have good senses of humor and know how to have a good time..

...just like any other activity.

Even if I hated "the grind" (I rarely do) I go through it in large part to make sure my mechs are perfect to my desires, mastered, and ready to go should I have time on the weekend to join a group on the hub.

#8 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

As stated by everyone else, I play to play. My Star Wars and GI-Joe figures never offered me any gold stars either

I find that occasionally browsing through my TRO collection or rereading a novel for the umpteenth time will kindle the desire to pretend I'm in a mech attempting to roast my fellow man with coherent light and this game gives me a satisfying outlet to do that.

So the sense of satisfaction is self-generated, because as OP inferred, this game delivers no real pats on the back... just the Pavlovian mech release and presales.

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

Lest see, not in any particular order.

1. Mastering all the mechs in possession. (even the mist linx)
2. opening up all modules.
3. equipping all mechs with Modules and engines so I never have to move engines around again.
4. Having fun, most of all.

Then taking breaks for life from time to time.

#10 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

Killing time, preferably with cool people on TS .
Coincidentally this game comes from one of my childhood saviour book genres, so that might add another bonus point .

But why the question to a forum full of Zero´s and One´s (no, Im not getting personal here, but we are just anonymous representations of enormous amounts of 1´s and 0´s...aka THE CODE) and not to yourself in a quiet, introspective moment ?

These 1st world problems, man... harsh, really harsh ;)

#11 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

I have always enjoyed the BattleTech universe lore. Computer Mech games give me the opportunity to experience a bit of that. I am not a person who normally enjoys FPS games. To be honest, MWO disappoints me a little because I feel that it has strayed too far towards the FPS and too far away from the Mech Sim. However, it still has enough good points that I enjoy playing it and I will maintain the hope that upcoming changes will eliminate some FPS attributes like insta kills (alpha strike meta) and make play styles besides brawling and sniping more viable and acceptable to the player base.

My motivation for playing the game right now is just to get better. I do not care about Tiers. I simply want to become an asset to any team I am on. I also have more fun when I win so there is that selfish motivation to improve there also. Above all, I enjoy the game. That is really the only motivation that I need. As long as I continue to enjoy it, I will play. When it is no longer fun, I will quit.

#12 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 959 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 03 March 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

Lest see, not in any particular order.

1. Mastering all the mechs in possession. (even the mist linx)
2. opening up all modules.
3. equipping all mechs with Modules and engines so I never have to move engines around again.
4. Having fun, most of all.

Then taking breaks for life from time to time.

Same here.
It's just fun doing this things.

Ah, and getting all the achievments and
maybe rising in Tier Level. What Level are you now?

Edited by el piromaniaco, 03 March 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#13 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:41 AM

I play because it's fun. Sure, I'm not "achieving" anything but that's video games, all the rewards are by their nature ephemeral and intangible except within your own valuation of them.

If it ain't fun then that's a good reason to stop, but for me, it's one of the few games where I find myself enjoying it a long time after the honeymoon period of " the new thing".

Which is weird because at its core it's pretty basic: shoot robots, rinse, repeat. Maybe some amount of it is the ip and certainly a big part is playing with my buddies in SC and elsewhere, but really, if I didn't have fun shooting robots, I'd stop shooting robots, grind be damned.

So. Fun.

#14 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:52 AM

The biggest factor that will keep you playing will be playing with friends.

Solo players generally do not last long or they take breaks from the game of varying durations.

In the absence of playing with friends, it is mostly just the challenge of trying to improve performance as a personal goal.

Phase 3 CW is NOT going to materially change this game as I do not believe it is possible to make sufficiently radical changes to create the necessary depth and immersiveness in the limited time budgeted.

#15 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

View Postel piromaniaco, on 03 March 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

Same here.
It's just fun doing this things.

Ah, and getting all the achievments and
maybe rising in Tier Level. What Level are you now?

Tier 4, but with only a hand full of games to 3. It has taken me a while, to rise out of mid tier 5. It was like hell, I could not get a win. Then I started to run derp builds or get a new mechs and puff moving up fast. Now it is like run a maybe 20 or 30 games a week and see what happens. One thing to note, I have been on a few of the leader boards events, including up to 6th in the griffin chassis. With less than 100,000 GXP needed to finish all the modules and I have not converted excess xp to GXP. I do draw the line somewhere.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 03 March 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#16 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

You can use most of the game's options if you own different mechs.
Group matches with the need of different support or Faction Play... you need mechs.

When I started in Summer 2013, I started with lights mechs and they were so much that I decided to master this class. This kept me running and I enjoyed to become a master of this whole class, not just one chassis. Mastering a whole class is a very good long-term motivation but it certainly includes grinding.

By the way, there should be an achievement for that.

#17 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostCatalina Steiner, on 03 March 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

You can use most of the game's options if you own different mechs.
Group matches with the need of different support or Faction Play... you need mechs.

When I started in Summer 2013, I started with lights mechs and they were so much that I decided to master this class. This kept me running and I enjoyed to become a master of this whole class, not just one chassis. Mastering a whole class is a very good long-term motivation but it certainly includes grinding.

By the way, there should be an achievement for that.

Mastering Locust was an exercise in self-discipline, no doubt. I have dusted off the 1V though due to the miracle of quirks...

#18 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

Because running around in big stompy robots is cathartic...

And it's never EASY. I like a challenge.

Enjoi

#19 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

I really enjoy this community and my clan. I like the lore, and characterizing myself as a clan mech pilot stomping across the inner sphere. I like the gameplay and it's cathartic to shoot other stompy robots.

I like building and mastering mechs, and optimizing things in the mech lab. I like getting the achievements, accumulating cbills and rounding out my drop decks.

I like working on my kill death ratio ;)

#20 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

After several years of aimless pugging, I found a unit that completes me. It's an empowering mix of different kinds of people, 50% ***** and 50% ********.

Edited by Kyynele, 03 March 2016 - 06:54 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users