Occupied city (Roleplaying-story telling)

250 replies to this topic

#21 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

Coming in out of the rain, Jason wrings out a curious-looking, old-fashioned umbrella with a long, heavy wooden handle. He shakes the umbrella over the threshold and then walks right past the umbrella rack by the door, keeping it at his side.

He's wearing a faded trenchcoat that used to be black, and under it the tatters of a green uniform with obvious spots where patches and insignia have been stripped off. His wet boots squeak as he strides up to the Empty Stein's bar.

"Water," he says to the barkeep.

The man returns with a glass of icewater and a stern look.

"Oh, no, sorry I meant bottled water. I try not to drink the local stuff."

"What's the matter," the man growls, grabbing a bottle from the fridge under the bar, "local stuff not good enough for ya, Offworlder?"

"No, no, no, it's not like that. Trust me, you ever spend a month pukin' your guts out with the Canopian Flu, you'll think the way I do."

He throws down a 10 C-Bill note on the bar and chugs the water greedily.

Jason looks over at the man at the bar next to him.

"A little early to be hittin' the hard stuff, isn't it?"

#22 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

Eiko adjusted the hood of her poncho to keep the rain out of her face as she trudged down Mayberry street. She was tired - nearly exhausted, in fact - for she had just completed a two-day job of replacing a groundcar's transmission module. The lack of a true mechanics' shop had hampered her efforts, to say nothing of missing tools - all her employer had to offer was a dusty garage and some basic mechanical tools, turning a 4 hour job into a 2-day exercise in frustration and exhaustion. However, the 500 C-Bills that Mr. Atkerlsey had offered was too good to pass up. Fortunately, Eiko's skills as a mechanic had provided enough income for herself and her mother in the year since the Occupation, but it was exhausting, back-breaking work. Most of the true auto-shops in town had either been seized or destroyed by the DCMS' garrison - part of their 'tax' scheme that had no other goal than legitimizing outright theft.

The wad of C-Bills was securely hidden in an interior pocket of her coveralls, with just a single 10 Note for a drink and appetizer at The Empty Stien. It was one of the few places she felt comfortable enough to visit regularly. Her Japanese ancestry had ended many friendships, and closed many doors since Occupation that only her mechanics' skills managed to overcome... and only sometimes. The sullen hostility she saw in the faces of too many people when they looked at her made Eiko acutely nervous - fortunately, the Empty Stein's staff weren't among them. In thanks, she had performed minor maintenance on the staff's groundcars, and refused payment when offered.

Eiko stepped into the dim light of the Empty Stein, and one of the bartenders, seeing her smiled and waved her over. 'Kon'nichiwa, Eiko. The usual?' She returned his smile with one of her own. Bryan the Bartender was always very deferential when she came in, and she appreciated him greatly. The Empty Stein was one of the few places she actually heard Japanese spoken - and just to her. 'Te kudasai hai,' she said in response with a slight bow as she took off the poncho. She sat down at the bar, feeling a bit more at ease. The bartender returned with a single distinctively-designed bottle - the truncated pyramid was embossed with the word 'PHARAOH' - it was her favorite brew. He also carried a plastic bowl of potato chips and dip. She pulled out her 10 C-bill note and set it beside the serving tray. Bryan looked down and frowned at the bill, but Eiko pushed it at him assertively. Bryan had attempted to refuse her payment more than once - he knew how close to the razor's edge of poverty Eiko walked, but she had insisted. He took the bill without comment and went over to the register. 'So,' he said casually, 'how is business at Durand-Nakamura Automotive?' Eiko smirked tiredly. 'The work is hard, but at least there is work.' She was always careful not to mention money - in these desperate times, the wrong person overhearing her...

Edited by VEDRFOLNIR, 12 December 2011 - 10:50 AM.

#23 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

Suddenly, there was a sudden and violent crack of lightning followed by a terrifically low and long thunderclap that shook the windows of the Empty' with such force it threatened to crack them. But, thanks in preperation of this they had specially made windows that where barred on the frame so that they would not be pushed open. As the rain bounced and padded against the rain there was another flash of the bright white light followed by a trumpet of lower thuds following a louder booming. But wait..something is amiss.. Dispite the crashing of the rain against the asphalt - which itself was louder then the racking of the windows - the sound of loud thuds could be heard, then suddenly stopping followed by continuing again.

But what was it?

A few more men came into the bar - former militia minute-men who had been cast out of the local milita and now had no place of work. There were six of them in all, with rugged faces of ungroomed hair and short hair that has become too fuzzy for it's own good. Trench coats of fine leather and cloth, boots that came to the knee and ended in a steel tip came stomping in with water that clung too their being. Taking seats by the fireplace in the center of the room - a large flame pit it was, a few feet raised on a pedistal and with a chimney that lead outward - they took up seats and ordered some beers as well as fish and chips. And so they, with voices booming and loud as can be, talked of the resistance bombing the harbor's boats and merchant ships as to deny the Combine the vital cargo it carried. The harbor's casualties were the result of DCMS that had been held hostage and left on one of the ships. They told of men - armor black as the night and visors that reflected the glow of the moon and rain so significantly it seemed to be illuminating light. They also told of something else, something that was rare now that the militia had been put down: A Shadow Hawk, painted Black, Green and Red and armed with the latest weapons from the Helm Memory core had totalled and obliterated a Lance of lighter 'mechs.

Relating their stories in such exhuberance, one could not help but listion. As they spook, the low thuds emerged from the clamour of the rain and talk. But something was amiss - it came BEFORE the lightning.

#24 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 12 December 2011 - 08:21 AM, said:

"A little early to be hittin' the hard stuff, isn't it?"

After a long swig of the whiskey, Kavin looks over and replies laughing "Never too early for a pint boss, haha."

Upon seeing Eiko enter and order her meal, Kavin smooths his hair with a gloved hand and winks, yelling "HEY BABE!" at the top of his lungs. Not bothering for a response, he smacks Jason's shoulder and says, in a quieter tone "I know her, she's pretty good" ending it with a wink and a quick laugh.

Kavins attention quickly moved to the newcomers to the bar. He recognized a few of them from when before he was 'dismissed' from the DCMS militia. Interupting their conversation, he yells out at them "What the F is this resistance shy-te and who are they?"

(( I changed up my bio a bit I decided, Kavin was just kicked out of the DCMS militia. not a major change, but just so Kavin seems more like a stranger to the actual resistance members.))

Edited by Kevin Kirov, 12 December 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#25 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

The men, who were happy and content with their chatter turned their heads to face Kavin over their shoulders. Their slanted, furrowed eyes stare him down like a man would stare angrly at a street dog. "Who wants to know?" Said one, with a thick accent behind his words as he continued to stare at Kavin, while the others turned their conversation to the burning pit. The thudding returned, followed by a loud booming sound from the thunderclouds above them. You would think that they could hear the differences between the low thuds and the sounds of a vitriolic boom from the storm above. But the men didn't care - why should they?

The heavy rain continued, and after a moment of silence it seems that the rain had passed into a drizzle. The rain began to lighten up, the thunder and lightning subsiding but every so often, a low echo would come out but not too the point of shaking the glass. But then, it happened again - the low, now closer the thudding seemed, the very vibrations from it's being begining to shake the windows.

"Well that's odd." Said the bartender as he was cleaning a large mug with a rag. "Weather man said the rain should clear up a tad, but it seems like it is coming back around.."

#26 fuguzawaz

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

One by one, people walked into the bar. No one seems to notice the teenage boy, laying in the alley-way.

Dop quietly says to himself "I wish I could have a drink." before rolling over and returning to his nap under a soggy piece of cardboard. He shivers, he is cold. He hasent eaten in 2 days. He begins to dream of hot meals and cold drinks.

He is soon woken by booms. Groggy, He rubs the sleep from his eyes. The dream bekons him to return, but something is amiss. He seems a bit colder, even though the temperature has stayed the same. Chills run down his spine with the next thud.

"Thats odd." he says. "That doesnt seem like thunder."

He slowly picks himself off of the soggy, cold pavement and peers around the front of the bar from the alley. He knows what it sounds like, but prays that he is wrong.

His heart races as he looks...

Edited by fuguzawaz, 12 December 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#27 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

As he would approach the alley, which is three houses down from the ES and on the other side of the street a loud booming would commence - followed by what sounded like a crashing. Before he could react, four men dressed in black fatigues and holding high powered rifles and one shot-SRMs on their backs would come running by the alley. Their faces told the story of shock, fear, anger and battle that would soon be upon the street as suddenly the large foot of a Firestarter would land infront of the alleyway. It was clad in deep reds and blacks that reflected the lights of the street from it's body with a sheen brought on by the rain, the flames from it's main guns would be obsolete in this weather and would have to rely on it's lasers and machine guns. On the shoulder pads it had a large black and white 0-2 and on the other symbol it had a picture of a long black dragon extending out to the barrel of the Flamer.

One of the men, holding a high powered rifle brought it up to his shoulder and shot off three shots, each hitting it's target at the "face" of the Firestarter. One of the rounds cracked the narrow peice of glass used as the cockpit's window. This seemed to enrage the pilot, who brought an arm up and pointed it's Medium laser at the man, who had stopped to fire more accurate shots. Turning tail, he ran just as the spot he stood before evaporated in an explosion brought on by the laser and flung him into a black mail box. Before the Firestarter could raise the other arm to fire the other laser, one of the men raised his one-shot SRM and fired two shots - each one hitting the shoulder and forcing the 'mech to step back to readjust, buying the men time to run. Quickly turning the other street before the 'mech could shoot, it quickly ran after them, leaving it's mark by stepping on a car just outside the Empty Stein and kicking a motorized bike clear across the street into another building's second story window.

#28 fuguzawaz

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

Dop waits for the mech to get out of sight, then, he sprints to the man that was flung into the mail-box. His body lays there, mangled and bloody. He inspects the man, assuming he is dead. The mans face reminds him of an old mentor he had met when he was 12. He then starts running to the Empty Stein.

Edited by fuguzawaz, 12 December 2011 - 08:37 PM.

#29 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

"What in the blazes is going on out there that is creating all this dam-n noise?" Kavin yelled, having finished his 'pint.'
Sprinting outside raising his laser pistol, he runs into a ragged looking boy. "What's going on out here boy?" Kavin screamed, seeing the body, the crater, and the large Firestarter staring down the street. Grabbing the boy he drags him inside, firing blindly in the direction of the mech.

#30 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Pard Davidson curses as he leads his squad - or what is left of it - in an attempt to evade the Kurita Firestarter. Discarding his now-useless SRM launcher, he heads into a maze of alleys and hopes that the 'Mech will be unable to follow. The last man is a moment too slow - a burst of super-heated plasma reduces him to a memory. However, the rest of the unit is loses the 'Mech in the alleys. Descending into the sewers, they begin to make their way towards a nearby safehouse.

#31 fuguzawaz

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

View PostKevin Kirov, on 12 December 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

"What's going on out here boy?" Kavin screamed.

"I... I dont quite know!" he stutters "I was just taking a nap when what looked like resistance members ran past my alley. Next thing I knew, a dam-n Firestarter started openinig up on them! Lucky for me, it didnt seem to notice me."

Dop sits on a stool and stares at the floor.

"I've never seen someones body thrown like that before..."

#32 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

Leaning in close to the kid, Kavin wispers "Where are these resistance lads at? I might have something in it for you if you can take me to some of them." adding in a sly wink at the end

#33 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

Eiko grabbed at her drink and bowl of chips as they bounced and rattled under the sudden onslaught of sound. 'What the hell?' she cried reflexively, barely catching herself from swearing in Japanese. The men who had just come into the bar, all former militia, she had seen before, and enough of them staring at her with that 'damned foreigner' expression she had come to know and loathe. She didn't even have a chance to retort to Kavin, when even louder sounds - explosions - erupted outside. She turned to Bryan, growing panic in her eyes. He didn't even hesitate - 'Get under the bar!' he said, motioning for her to join him as he ducked down.

She leapt over the bar, (decorum be damned!) and could see Kavin dash outside, laser pistol in hand. She ducked down next to Bryan as the various bottles of liquor began singing a rattling staccato from the noise outside the bar. Eiko felt Bryan's arm over her shoulders as he pulled her close. 'Oh please...' she whispered to Anyone Listening. 'Please...'

#34 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

She could hear it - the tremendous footfalls of a BattleMech as it charged nearby. Boom... Boom... Boom... The floor began to shake in rhythm to those footfalls, and the sound they made... Eiko covered her face with her arms as she heard new sounds - the Phfweeeeee! of missiles being fired, the Bang! of detonations, and the long whine of lasers. There were more shouts outside, and now she could feel dust and small pebbles from the ceiling bouncing off her head.

Boom! Boom! Boom! CRASH! The BattleMech stepped on something right outside the bar - probably one of the groundcars she had passed on the way in. The noise was absolutely beyond her abiltiy to cope with it - 'Sore o teishi shimasu!' she cried reflexively. Please, please stop it! She could dimly hear Bryan whispering 'It's all right, Eiko. It's all right...' The sounds diminished as the BattleMech tore its' way away from the bar. Eiko trembled, near tears.

#35 fuguzawaz

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

View PostKevin Kirov, on 12 December 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Leaning in close to the kid, Kavin wispers "Where are these resistance lads at? I might have something in it for you if you can take me to some of them." adding in a sly wink at the end

"They ran that way." Dop points in the direction that they ran.

"They probably went into the sewers, but ive heard only rumors. I havent actually looked for them yet, besides, I doubt that they would take someone as younge as me..."

Dop has wanted to join the resistance. The thought of fighting isnt exactly exciting, but where else is he to turn? "I have no other future" he thinks to himself "I might as well aid in a worthy cause."

"Do you think they would take me?" he asks hopefully.

#36 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

"Thanks kid," handing him a 50 C-bill note. "If you can find a way to put some meat on your bones you might be able to make it"
Turning to the bar, Kavin hears Eiko wimpering. "I thought you would be used to this by now girl?" "I know this has been going on for atleast the 5 months I've been here." The smell of alcohol was ripe on his breath as he leaned in. "If it bothers you so much, I might be able to help."

Edited by Kevin Kirov, 12 December 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#37 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

The sound of the footsteps would slowly begin to return to Maybury street, this time in a more rythmic fashion. As the rain began to return into a heavy formate, it became so dark as the visbility dropped that the Firestarter's flashlight suddenly flickered on, hitting all those within 50 meters infront of it on the street. But, at the far edge of the street was something else, another glowing red flash of light that stood just a little bit taller - like five or six meters taller to be exact. It stood, from what the few steet lights still alit could show it had large, rectangular feet and a long barrel that reached it's knees on the right arm. It's chest stuck out as well as it's rectangular head and shinny black glass.

The Firestarter, recognizing this from what he had been briefed on quickly raised it's arms to fire the only weapons that could reach it, but was too slow as suddenly a barrage of bright red pulses flew across the air with a deep, incessive dronning and high-pitched sound. Five rounds hit the chest, punching large holes while three missed. As this giant 'mech walked closer, one could see the paint job on it's leg - Black, with green stripes. As it fired, it kicked a truck that was out in the open into the pelvis area of the Firestarter, doubling it in a sense and pushing it back.

When it did bring both arms up to fire both it's beams missed the head of this 'mech and left it wide open. Suddenly, eight SRMs came flying out of the chest of this mysterious battlemech and destroyed it's arms and ruptured the chest wide open. It also shook the light 'mech violently, forcing it to fly backwards onto it's back. Defeated. As the 'mech walked over too finish the job it suddenly stopped, turned it's head and started at the Empty Stein. Into it's windows and directly into the scared faces of it's patrons.

#38 fuguzawaz

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

Takes the 50 c-bills.

"I cant take this."

Dop tries to hand it back.

Then, violent thuds and explosions throw Dop onto the floor. He lands on his arm and you hear a loud crack.

"AAAHHHH"

Edited by fuguzawaz, 12 December 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#39 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

Eiko looked up at Kavin, with a look of utter disgust. Ironically, this drunken oaf helped center her and still her terror. Standing to her feet, Eiko's face settled into an inscrutable mask. 'You might want to die,' she said evenly, 'but I don't.' She turned and smiled at the bartender. 'Watashi no yūjin arigatō,' she said. Then, with another 'what-an-interesting-insect' glance at Kavin, she moved back around the bar and over to the doorway. Eiko looked out at the destruction, and shook her head. 'What a waste.' She then saw the emaciated boy standing outside, covered in dust and soot. 'Hey, you should come in here!' Eiko said. 'Get out of the rain, not to mention the firing line!'

Then the darkness was lit up by another series of massive explosions, and Eiko grabbed at the door-frame to keep from falling over. She saw the boy fall... and then the hulking mass of the BattleMech appeared, as if by magic, looking down at her.

Edited by VEDRFOLNIR, 12 December 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#40 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

The 'mech looked at the woman as she came running out - zooming in the pilot saw that she looked like she was from the Draconis Combine and instinctivly rased it's left arm of it's 'mech where two long barrels pointed down toward it. Suddenly, as the boy came into view the pilot thought that it was not worth killing two for one, and the arm lowered and turned it's attention back to the Firestarter, which was slowly backing up. Raising an arm, it tried to fire it's medium laser but the cannon was damaged and it's beam sputtered into a chaotic state that arched upward and quickly lost it self in the rain. As the mysterious black and green 'mech walked over casually, the pilot of the Firestarter began to panic, and once within range raised both hands - settling itself now on it's elbows - and suddenly two bright funnels of red-orange flame flew from it's barrels and blasted the 'mech.

From the light, all could see what it was - a Shadow Hawk, the one that was spoken of by the millitia forces. It seemed to be a complete customazation: The AC/5 seemed longer, like an AC/2 but the arm that held it was the same used on Ultra-Autocannons. It's right arm sported a Large Pulse laser, and the chest seemed to house two Streak-SRM-4s while the left wrist armed itself with two Medium lasers. It also had a long tube extending from it's forehead, presumably a machine gun.

When this final attempt failed too damage or deter it's purser, the Shadow Hawk raised it's right arm toward the cockpit and fired thrice - in a loud explosion the head too the Firestarted exploded into a bright red cloud of misery, along with a deathly howl from it's previous owner. It's head destroyed the Shadow Hawk fell in - ironically - flames too the asphalt with a loud thud.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users