Archer Quirks: Underwhelming To Outright Puzzling?

283 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

https://static.mwome...cef20eb8751.jpg
Posted Image

Mind you..... NOt a fan, in general of "massive" quirks, though in some cases (Atlas durability, really crappy weapons like LB-X, etc) they may be justified.

Aaaaaand, no worries here.

Pretty underwhelming, The only one with "significant" structure buffs, also get's no agility buffs, so it's pretty moot, TBH. Not a surprise though, since don't want more P2W cries.

A bit of a surprise one doesn't see a bit more ST structure or Armor buffs, and that some like the 5S got nada for the Torsos.

2R and 5S got some pretty decent agility buffs, no complaint there, Not sure if turn rate on the Wolf model will outweigh the accel/decel buffs on the other 2.

As for puzzling?
Energy weapons quirks on 3 of them? Completely secondary weapon systems, and in all cases, your most vanilla of weapons on the mechs, yet they waste "quirk points" on those, instead of doing a little bit to try to make them more LRM viable.

That puzzles me.

Seriously, the only Archers that remotely make sense to have energy buffs, are the Kurita Models that pack dual Large/ER LArge Lasers. And of course, which are NOT in the pack.

Thoughts?

*EDIT********

the armament shown on the ARC-2R is NOT the correct "stock" loadout, but a play build that QA apparently missed when they took the Quirk Screnngrabs. (Confirmed by Russ)

The Correct loadout is:
-2x LRM20,
-4x MLasers.

Please refer to the Sales page to clarify any confusion about correct armaments.
https://mwomercs.com/archer

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 March 2016 - 11:53 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:02 PM

The leg and arm buffs on the 5S and T don't seem like they will make that much of a difference, the mech's center mass area will probably make a much larger difference.

In terms of those energy buffs, two of them are worthless. 5% energy cooldown or 5% ML cooldown are nearly impossible to notice. The 5S however does get relatively noticeable ones, so it'll be funny to see people building it to boat lasers (commence heresy.exe).

#3 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

Those quirks are... whelming.

#4 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Those twist ranges are very nice. Mobility as well. The rest...

Sick em Bishop!Posted Image

#5 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, extremely disappointing.

If they're going to use quirks to balance IS vs Clan they need to apply them with some consistency, you have to find a norm for what a baseline IS quirk set should be. Here they have massively undershot the current norm, that's just silly.

It's an iconic missile mech, it should have strong missile quirks both general and LRM specific ones.

Fix this.

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

Peculiar. Almost like they wanted to just do nothing but knew that wouldn't fly.

We don't know how the missile door armor will work though.

All the weapon quirks are largely irrelevant and the structure quirks are mostly the same. The mobility stuff? I dunno.

#7 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:16 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Thoughts?

I'm very curious to see how hitboxes are.
I was expecting more quirks on those (structure), for "the nose" and its shoulders

Right actitude about weapons: no more uberquirked mechs please.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 10 March 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

Peculiar. Almost like they wanted to just do nothing but knew that wouldn't fly.

We don't know how the missile door armor will work though.

All the weapon quirks are largely irrelevant and the structure quirks are mostly the same. The mobility stuff? I dunno.

Which is what raises red flags on the Tempest. Is ECM really that big a buff (in the underhive maybe) to negate all agility quirks? I dunno. I guess I'll find out on Tuesday, lol.

I mean it's all speculation till then. I was also wondering on how the missile doors will be, and/or/if they'll have any impact.

Like I said, not raging here, but am a tad perplexed.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 10 March 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

I'm very curious to see how hitboxes are.
I was expecting more quirks on those (structure), for "the nose" and its shoulders

Right actitude about weapons: no more uberquirked mechs please.

yeah, what no 50% Missile Cooldowns on the 5Wolfy? Posted Image

#9 Sader325

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!

These are the quirks that I wanted.

The two potential brawling Archers got structure quirks: The tempest and the 5W.

The 5W received NO weapon quirks: Why? Because it CANT, 6x SRM6+A is extremely powerful. PGI made the correct move.

The 2R and the 5S are a LRM / Laservomit Hybrid and a Laser Vomit and at midrange (400m+) it wont need structure quirks as badly.

the 2R has insane damage potential with laservomit + 3LRM5+A with 27% cooldown.

I'm happy with these quirks. I will be upgrading my pack to the tempest.

Edited by Sader325, 10 March 2016 - 06:36 PM.

#10 Merit Lef

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Weak PGI...weak. The Warhammer was KNOWN for its PPCs and the quirks reflect it. They support the lore of the PPC. +1 PGI for that.

The Archer is KNOWN for that LRM 20....yet nothing to support LRM 20 but general buffs. And they are mostly trash at best. LRM 20 are the most under used weapon system after the Flammers new buff. Sad....just sad and a wonderfully missed opportunity PGI. Too bad really.

#11 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

It's like it was tested in LRMboat vs LRMboat duels and nothing else. Those quirks are good for fighting other lrm boats.

What's certain is that it is indeed a lrm boat. Nothing there to make it even close to competitive with Clans using SRMs. The problem is that an ebj or mdd will out-lurm it.

I dunno. Curious to see how it plays out.

#12 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,755 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostSader325, on 10 March 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

The 5W received NO weapon quirks: Why? Because it CANT, 6x SRM6+A is extremely powerful. PGI made the correct move.

Not really, without structure quirks, the Splatapult is the better option for 6 ASRM6 than the 5W.

#13 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 10 March 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

Not really, without structure quirks, the Splatapult is the better option for 6 ASRM6 than the 5W.

Catapult is massive.

I expect it to lose a lot of its survivability after its resized. The quirks will not stay the same.

#14 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

What gets me is the LRM buffs on a Mech with 3x SRM 6 on it as stock weapons. wtf?

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 10 March 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

What gets me is the LRM buffs on a Mech with 3x SRM 6 on it as stock weapons. wtf?

They seem to have been considering the role of the original variant/chassis rather than the role of each individual variant...I would prefer the latter method usually.

#16 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

Meh.

#17 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

The quirks are okay. With all the missile slots, you can easily over quirk it considering the propensity for MWO ppl to boat things. You really think PGI is going to give you a mech with potential 9 LRM5s with heat/cool down quirks?

You don't buy mechs for quirks. The only time you should even think about quirk is doing the load out and even then, only see it as a nice bonus.

"OMG, 9 missile slots AND a 10% velocity bonus for FREE!!!" should be your attitude.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 10 March 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

I'm assuming it's a typo...since the ARC-2S doesn't carry ANY SRM racks. It mounts 2x LRM20, and no other "Prime" has deviated from a stock armament.

#19 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

https://static.mwome...cef20eb8751.jpg
Posted Image

Mind you..... NOt a fan, in general of "massive" quirks, though in some cases (Atlas durability, really crappy weapons like LB-X, etc) they may be justified.

Aaaaaand, no worries here.

Pretty underwhelming, The only one with "significant" structure buffs, also get's no agility buffs, so it's pretty moot, TBH. Not a surprise though, since don't want more P2W cries.

A bit of a surprise one doesn't see a bit more ST structure or Armor buffs, and that some like the 5S got nada for the Torsos.

2R and 5S got some pretty decent agility buffs, no complaint there, Not sure if turn rate on the Wolf model will outweigh the accel/decel buffs on the other 2.

As for puzzling?
Energy weapons quirks on 3 of them? Completely secondary weapon systems, and in all cases, your most vanilla of weapons on the mechs, yet they waste "quirk points" on those, instead of doing a little bit to try to make them more LRM viable.

That puzzles me.

Seriously, the only Archers that remotely make sense to have energy buffs, are the Kurita Models that pack dual Large/ER LArge Lasers. And of course, which are NOT in the pack.

Thoughts?

Well, I hate general massive quirks in general and I think the Atlas should not be an acceptation. nor 'crappy weapons'. If a weapon is 'crappy' then it should be a universal buff to that weapon and not a quirk making only 3-5 mechs able to use this weapon even though in canon this should be a superior "AC" weapon to start with... funny.

However I should remind you quirks from release are rarely given out. Look at the Resistance 1 and 2 mechs, nearly quirkless at the get go.
Look at clan wave 2, 3, Origins, etc. not even a single quirk even though arguably 50-80% of those mechs are far from competitive (highlander IIC, Orion IIC, Mist lynx, nova, gargoyle, executioner, summoner, ice ferret, etc...). Why? To let the mech settle in the game a bit, No point giving it great armour quirks if the damage model hitboxes itself is broken from the get go (the quirks could mask, confuse, or be completely worthless. for eg having a massive centre torso and getting side torso armour quirks). It's to let them fight each other and point out obvious weaknesses, strengths, and ideas on how to balance a certain quirk.

We do not see any ST armour or structure buffs because of reasons mentioned above- but also could be the fact that it has missile doors on the ST which already reduce damage by what... 10%? Which can be considered better than an armour buff.

For weapons- it's typical. Effectiveness of LRM's are hard to quirk without making everything else UP in comparison. I am pretty sure the best LRM quirks are only 10-15% range at max. (could be wrong).

My thoughts is it's just taking it easy as usual and further changes will happen down the line.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostFupDup, on 10 March 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

They seem to have been considering the role of the original variant/chassis rather than the role of each individual variant...I would prefer the latter method usually.

It's pretty likely to be a typo from them screengrabbing a test build for the Quirk list. Archer 2R doesn't pack 3xSRM6, period.

View PostSQW, on 10 March 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

The quirks are okay. With all the missile slots, you can easily over quirk it considering the propensity for MWO ppl to boat things. You really think PGI is going to give you a mech with potential 9 LRM5s with heat/cool down quirks?

You don't buy mechs for quirks. The only time you should even think about quirk is doing the load out and even then, only see it as a nice bonus.

"OMG, 9 missile slots AND a 10% velocity bonus for FREE!!!" should be your attitude.

This should be true, but is not. In a world where the majority have massive structure and agility quirks, those things do matter, even if in an ideal game they would not.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users