Archer Quirks: Underwhelming To Outright Puzzling?

283 replies to this topic

#101 Muyou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 966 posts
  • LocationChelybinsk

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

Why do I need an Archer if Catapult much better? Refund ...

#102 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

I'm assuming it's a typo...since the ARC-2S doesn't carry ANY SRM racks. It mounts 2x LRM20, and no other "Prime" has deviated from a stock armament.

If you don't stop posting so much how are we going to catch you on posts?

Not a fan of 20s myself. So it's nice that the quirk covers ALL LRM types.

#103 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

These quirks really don't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure what they were going for as none of them seem to have quirks that really do anything of note. I suppose on the bright side you can build the mech however you want since there is almost no incentive to even bother with considering the quirks. I just wish there was some consistency with mobility quirks, and not just for the Archer but most mechs in general.

#104 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

View PostMuyou, on 11 March 2016 - 05:10 AM, said:

Why do I need an Archer if Catapult much better? Refund ...

Why do you need a Porche when a corvette, or a http://www.torquenew...ive-sports-cars Subaru outperform it?

Well because it's Damn Sexy that's why.

#105 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Thoughts?

I think you are on to something. What I liked about the Marauder and Warhammer quirks is that the structure and movement quirks were pretty much similar across the 4 variants. Not so here. The hero goes nothing for movement, and the others get 30% to 60%.

Also, 5% weapon quirks? Why bother? Usually you only see them that low on clan mechs.

#106 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

Hmmm some of the worst quirks I have seen.... They're really going to put leg armor and zero general missile quirks. I'm thinking of asking for a refund but for 20 bucks I think I will just melt the mechs.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 March 2016 - 05:59 AM.

#107 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostLugh, on 11 March 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

Why do you need a Porche when a corvette, or a http://www.torquenew...ive-sports-cars Subaru outperform it?

Well because it's Damn Sexy that's why.

Offtopic, but just for the record, on the street most corvettes will only outperform a Carrerra RS2.7 or 911 turbo in a straight line (and will guzzle about 3x the amount of gasoline doing it). Most roads in Europe are not straight lines, much in contrast to the US interstate system. I love both, but different horses for different courses Posted Image

But that´s also part of the archer´s charm... there will be situations where (assuming equal pilot skill) it is superior to other, similar mechs like the Maddog.. and there will be situations where it´s the last mech you want to be in. There´s always a tradeoff somewhere that can be used to your advantage or detriment ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 11 March 2016 - 06:02 AM.

#108 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:21 AM

I think its a precaution so not everyone jumps on the 9xLRM5 bandwagon and YOLOs the next lurmapocalypse

#109 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:27 AM

I would have expected specific LRM20 quirks providing an incentive to play the Archer -2R with its signature weapon. As already mentioned PGI did just that at least for the MAD-3R. With this kind of quirks few if any people will bring LRM20.

Furthermore the Tempest quirks seem strange to me. Perhaps not bad (we will see), but strange. With ECM there is a lot of extra protection other Archers don't enjoy, so why buff the structure further enhancing its protection? Mobility and weapon quirks would have been more attractive imo.

Edited by FLG 01, 11 March 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#110 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

These are disappointing. Fairly tempted for a full package refund.

#111 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

@Zerberus, the C7 Z06 disagrees with you there. It handily beat, say, the 911 GT3 RS and the 911 Turbo S around tracks like Laguna Seca, Circuit de Magny-Cours, Sachsenring and the Autozeitung Test Track.

Let's hope you're right about the 'Mech being a situationally good pick, thoug :)

#112 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#113 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostLuminis, on 11 March 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

@Zerberus, the C7 Z06 disagrees with you there. It handily beat, say, the 911 GT3 RS and the 911 Turbo S around tracks like Laguna Seca, Circuit de Magny-Cours, Sachsenring and the Autozeitung Test Track.

Let's hope you're right about the 'Mech being a situationally good pick, thoug Posted Image

Mini-hijackPosted Image

Aye, and thats why I specifically said "most Corvettes" and not "all Corvettes"... but the farther you go back in history, the bigger the Porsche´s advantage in turns when staying within the same era. Though admittedly, the high oil prices of the 70s also saw the often heavily undermotorized (but still way cool looking) C3 Stingray, which the era appropriate RS 2.7 could generally even shred or at least match in a quarter mile. STOCK, of course. Posted Image
/ontopic

Overall it´s the whole Spitfire vs Mustang discussion that´s been going on for decades...As long as you don´t fight teh way the other guy wants you to but play to your ride´s strengths, you can get the and hold advantage... but if you let him use his superior dive speed and turn agility, suddenly his guns are a 8 o´clock high and you´re getting a .50 caliber lobotomy Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 11 March 2016 - 07:21 AM.

#114 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:10 AM

Quirkcrutchesonline, and if they can't have that they want a refund PGI, so so sad, l2p.

#115 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostKHETTI, on 11 March 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Oh noes, the Archer isn't grossly over-quirked, why u do this PGI!?, people paid money for this expecting their temp. overpowered , paywalled monster.

It's not a question of the Archer isn't an uber mech, it's that it's going to obviously WORSE than quite a few other mechs.

Every single clan mech is a better missile boat because clan missiles are better. Practically all the IS mechs with missile quirks are better. And if you decide you want laservomit...well, the list of mechs that are better than the Archer is going to be is all but a very few of them.

The expectation was that the Archer would be at least as good as existing mechs, but with the unique flavor that the hardpoints and design give it. What we're getting is a bad mech compared to existing mechs. And if this is going to be the way of things going forward, why spend cash on the mechs?

Oh, and Russ (please someone on Twitter forward this to him), if you think going so light as to be worse, but then improving them later is a good plan, you might want to remember than you only charge real money during that time when they are worse, but by the time you get around to fixing them, people will likely be able to buy them with C-Bills. I'm enjoying the game, and I'd kinda like to see y'all make enough money to keep it going, so please rethink your marketing strategy.

#116 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

View PostZerberus, on 11 March 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

Offtopic, but just for the record, on the street most corvettes will only outperform a Carrerra RS2.7 or 911 turbo in a straight line (and will guzzle about 3x the amount of gasoline doing it). Most roads in Europe are not straight lines, much in contrast to the US interstate system. I love both, but different horses for different courses Posted Image

But that´s also part of the archer´s charm... there will be situations where (assuming equal pilot skill) it is superior to other, similar mechs like the Maddog.. and there will be situations where it´s the last mech you want to be in. There´s always a tradeoff somewhere that can be used to your advantage or detriment ;)

More off topic: Modern Corvettes, especially in z06 trim, handle extremely well and will tackle the turns in road courses just fine. The only Porsches I would rather have are the gt2/gt3, because they are exotic, not because they necessarily handle better.

#117 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostSader325, on 11 March 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lolno

Careful, might see some Warhammer nerfs now.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 11 March 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#118 Dremnon

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

They don't make much sense, it feels like there was a deadline to have quirks posted and these were produced in a hurry. I've never been a fan of the quirk system to begin with, but these are downright confusing for most of them and don't seem to match up with the load outs and hard points.

The Tempest quirks are terrible and make no sense. I'd rather see accell/decal/turn rate quirks to have that ECM utilized for mobility then 5% for missile and medium laser that does next to nothing for the mech, it's wasted quirks. I was hoping that IS would finally have a heavy with ECM that would be viable (sorry Cataphract 0XP), but this might not be good enough even with the 6 energy hard points.

The 5W with one missile quirk to velocity? Really? That's like taking a Jagermech and giving it a single ballistic quirk to velocity, it's the exact same line of thinking and doesn't make any sense. Bare minimum you should see a flat 5% to velocity/cooldown/heat generation for all missiles.

5S has 5 missile and 4 energy and they quirks are energy based. Don't get it. The quirk for the 2R make more sense on this mech.

2R is tied with the least amount of missile hard points and has the most missile quirks. This variant screams brawler/striker to me, but has the least amount of structure quirks making it the most fragile of all of them and will likely now turn into a laser vomit build. 5S quirks make more sense here.

After the last three packages for the Icon series, I feel very mislead about the Archer. As Sader posted above, the quirks don't stack up when compared with another heavy with same hard points. Maybe hard point placement is enough to make this more viable than we are seeing, but if that was the case I would think we would be seeing more Shadowhawks around. Hopefully there will be some changes down the line on these.

Edited by Dremnon, 11 March 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#119 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:33 AM

All i know is im going to enjoy shooting the shoulders of archers while they think they are behind cover, due to the ridiculous location of that COCKpit. Urgh.. i think thats the lowest mounted cockpit in the game?

#120 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

The more i look at those quirks the more disappointing it is. No thought has gone into them.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users