48 replies to this topic

#1 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

Bloody gorgeous! Being able to hold the mech in your hands gives you absolutely new appreciation for the beautiful mech design! Love it!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Everyday In Laugh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationVietNam

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

Life goal: Buy a 3D printing machine.

#3 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

That looks fantastic! I bet you are gonna go for Jade Falcon colors or what? Posted Image

#4 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

View PostTordin, on 05 April 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

That looks fantastic! I bet you are gonna go for Jade Falcon colors or what? Posted Image

HAHA:D I was actually thinking pure white paint scheme with some metal parts. I just love how you can beautifully weather white paint app. Edge wear, rust etc. I am gonna wait for Marauder IIC for that Jade Falcon color finish ahahaha:D

This one was just a test print. I am working on a proper high-rez version with all the details modeled in as well as every articulation included.

#5 Kaveli

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

How do o do this? How does it cost to buy the machine to do this? How hard was it? Would you ever sell any of these? So many questions I must know!

#6 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostKaveli, on 05 April 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

How do o do this? How does it cost to buy the machine to do this? How hard was it? Would you ever sell any of these? So many questions I must know!

Cannot sell these no. Strictly recreational use only since the assets are the property of Pirahna Games. Machines range from sub-$300 to thousands of dollars. The main work is converting 3D files to be print-friendly... printing itself you can just outsource to a third-party printers for example.

#7 Everyday In Laugh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationVietNam

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostSolid Alexei, on 05 April 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Cannot sell these no. Strictly recreational use only since the assets are the property of Pirahna Games. Machines range from sub-$300 to thousands of dollars. The main work is converting 3D files to be print-friendly... printing itself you can just outsource to a third-party printers for example.

Imagine our city starting to have 3d printer shop that takes order. Then all i need is to send the files and w8 a few days......
It took me 2 days to clean the models, but half a year just to slowly sticking papers with super glue
Posted Image

I'll leave this tiny image here so it won't dim your moment of triumph
Seriously i just want to skip to the painting now </3

#8 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostEveryday In Laugh, on 05 April 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

Imagine our city starting to have 3d printer shop that takes order. Then all i need is to send the files and w8 a few days......
It took me 2 days to clean the models, but half a year just to slowly sticking papers with super glue
Posted Image

I'll leave this tiny image here so it won't dim your moment of triumph
Seriously i just want to skip to the painting now </3

Man that looks incredible!! I can't even begin to imagine how much patience something like this takes to create! my hat to you sir!

#9 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

I got the full Marauder package, and I love them, but every time I see one with its forward arms and hunched back, all I can picture is this (Spinosaurus meets ominous cellphone ring):

#10 Hitman85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:39 AM

View PostSolid Alexei, on 05 April 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

Man that looks incredible!! I can't even begin to imagine how much patience something like this takes to create! my hat to you sir!

Another proof that 3d printer is not needed to have mech models, only some skill at papercraft. Posted Image

#11 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostEveryday In Laugh, on 05 April 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Life goal: Buy a 3D printing machine.

Ya got $15 - $20k hanging around somewhere? Cause that's how much one printer will cost.

#12 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 06 April 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

Not even close haha. My dad has two that he bought as kits, for only about 600 dollars each, and they can do 8 inches by 8 inches with extremely high detail. It is plenty more affordable than that.

And only getting more inexpensive and more detailed.

#13 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostSolid Alexei, on 05 April 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

One day I'll be richer than Blake and have enough money to reunite all the fragments of the IP so these models can exist commercially ... one day :D

Anyway the really high detail, super expensive printers are more necessary for the 6mm prints of models. 16 micron printing would be great at this scale to capture the finest details. Think Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail or better if you've ever bought anything from them. I think FUD might be 29 micron, 16 for the Frosted Extreme Detail... but that's not really the point :)

It's not economical to commercially print models with that level of detail if they are much larger than 50mm in height. You can use a lower resolution print on big models, and then sand the surfaces smooth afterwards.

#14 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

First heavy primer coat and sanding smooth. One combination of heavy fill primer and sand paper pads I found give me incredible results! You cannot feel any build lines and the model is silky smooth!

Posted Image
Posted Image

EDIT:
Quick black primer coat
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Solid Alexei, 07 April 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#15 Catho Sharn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAmerica's Crossroads!

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

Those look awesome! Looking forward to seeing more progress!

(Also, those papercraft models are pretty damn sweet too)

#16 Lauren Bamlett

Texture Artist

• Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

What plastic are you using? The results look wonderful.

So far I've only explored with PLA on a Makerbot and I found that I lost a lot of detail to supports and their removal.

#17 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

Hi Solid,

I bought a MakerGear 3-D printer but I'm still a newbie with it... have a goal to print 3D mechs for a IS vs. Clan chess set...

What software do you use to convert the Pak files to something the 3D printer software can read?

Much Obliged for the help!

Edited by Gaussfather, 07 April 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#18 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostLauren Bamlett, on 07 April 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

What plastic are you using? The results look wonderful.

So far I've only explored with PLA on a Makerbot and I found that I lost a lot of detail to supports and their removal.

I've used a massive SLS machine to print this in Nylon material, similar to what Shapeways call 'Frosted Detailed' material. You don't need supports when printing in SLS since parts are surrounded and supported by powder itself.

View PostGaussfather, on 07 April 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

Hi Solid,

I bought a MakerGear 3-D printer but I'm still a newbie with it... have a goal to print 3D mechs for a IS vs. Clan chess set...

What software do you use to convert the Pak files to something the 3D printer software can read?

Much Obliged for the help!
Hey! You need to extract the actual models out of PAK files first then use Blender to fix the geometry to be 3D print ready. I gotta say it is a laborious process but, if you want to print this Marauder I have uploaded the model onto Thingieverse here http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1453274

#19 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

Ugh! These are just so bloody COOL!

#20 capt hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

PGI needs to think about offering the sale of 3D printed mechs. I would bet that a large part of the community would love it. And they'd make additional monies. If I ever obtain a 3D printer, I am definitely going to try to print a mech or two!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users