Questions

95 replies to this topic

#21 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:31 AM

Clan weapons greater range, greater heat, and I am not sure if this holds in MWO less weight. Inner sphere weapons less range, less heat, but more weight again not sure if the weight part holds in MWO.

I will have to check out those pods, and I am confused by the omnimechs and clan battlemechs, what is the difference?

#22 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostLances107, on 08 April 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

Clan weapons greater range, greater heat, and I am not sure if this holds in MWO less weight. Inner sphere weapons less range, less heat, but more weight again not sure if the weight part holds in MWO.

I will have to check out those pods, and I am confused by the Omnimechs and clan Battlemechs, what is the difference?

yes the Clan weapons are usually several of the following compared to Inner Sphere weapons;
Longer range,
More damage per shot,
Lighter,
Take up less slots

they also usually generate more heat, all of those are staples of Battletech, however what MWO has done is make Clan weapons slower to discharge, IS LRMs fire all at once provided your Mech has enough tubes, for Clan they fire in a stream making them less effective if the target has AMS, Clan Autocannons fire in a burst for the damage number, 1 shot for AC2, 2 shots for AC5, 3 shots for AC10, 4 shots for AC20 while IS ACs are all single shot, Clan Lasers have more burn time compared to IS lasers
that, in conjunction with quirks mostly balances Clan weapons against IS weapons.

The major advantage Clans still have is that with a Clan XL you can survive loosing a side torso, albeit with something like a 25% speed and cooling penalty, where as if you are running an IS XL and loose a side the Mech is gone, so a Clan Mech will almost always use an eXtra Light engine and take advantage of the weight savings where as it is a much bigger risk for IS Mechs
Clan Endo Steel Internals and Fero Fibrus Armor are 7 slots rather than 14 for the IS and Clan Fero is more of a weight saving than IS Fero
Clan Double Heat Sinks only take up 2 slots vs 1 3 for IS

Battlemechs can change engine, structure, armour and heat sink type and do not have any fixed equipment but cannot change their hard points, engine, armour/structure/heat sink type are all fixed in an Omnimech, and many have other fixed equipment including but not limited to Active Probe, Heat sinks, Jump jets, but you can change hard points (except the CT using Omnipods) for those found on any other variant of that chassis which you cannot in a Battletech.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 09 April 2016 - 04:23 AM.

#23 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:37 AM

May I Suggest Spike Braves You Tube Channel
https://www.youtube....tNUCKmcC0Q7pKJQ

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 08 April 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

Clan Double Heat Sinks only take up 2 slots vs 3 for IS

Corrected.
(1 slot for IS DHS?)

View PostLances107, on 08 April 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

I will have to check out those pods, and I am confused by the omnimechs and clan battlemechs, what is the difference?

Long and short of it:

Omnimech (Both sides; but no IS Omnimechs [YET; "Soon."]).
'Configs' (called variants in MWO) can change hardpoints.
By changing limbs, you can also mix and match 'tiny' quirks.
CT cannot be changed. This is the only unique element of an Omnimech.
Fixed structure, fixed armor, some fixed equipment on the base chassis.

Battlemech (Both sides; "IIC" are Clan Battlemechs).
Cannot change hardpoints.
Cannot change quirks.
Each variant is largely unique in some way or another in terms of hardpoints, quirks, etc.
Can change all else.

It's not very Battletech.... and the freedom for Battlemechs surpasses anything ever seen in past Mechwarrior games. All I can say is PGI is using "build your own mech" construction rules, not campaign customization rules and...shrug my shoulders.

Edited by Koniving, 08 April 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#25 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

I believe this will be my last question, I hope, for awhile. Cbills, before I was making about 500k after each match, as my cadet achievement got higher and higher I made less and less cbills. I want to keep doing quick plays until I get a better handle on things, but should I join a faction increase my cbill rewards after each match?

Oh and that link was most useful thank you.

Edited by Lances107, 08 April 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

Faction play can yield higher potential results but until next month I do not think it will be a rewarding experience. Per match rewards significantly improve. Time between matches can get into hours depending on when you try.

Average income ranges from 75,000 to 150,000 with highs (non-premium) in 250,000.
Conversely faction play may net up to 700,000 for incredible performance over 30 minutes of combat after a minimum wait of 10-minutes, with an extra bonus for victories. Lows, victorious or otherwise can be as bad 25,000 cbills.

#27 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

View PostLances107, on 08 April 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

I believe this will be my last question, I hope, for awhile. Cbills, before I was making about 500k after each match, as my cadet achievement got higher and higher I made less and less cbills. I want to keep doing quick plays until I get a better handle on things, but should I join a faction increase my cbill rewards after each match?

Oh and that link was most useful thank you.

For clarity: Belonging to a faction doesn't impact rewards in normal play.

Koniving above has the answer regarding faction play, though his numbers are very different from mine, the overall comparison is apt.

My experience with Faction Play is that realistically I get what works out to be one match per hour. Even in a large group, you're looking at the minimum 10 minute between match wait, but then add the occassional ghost drop, or afk moment when some player needs to [do whatever], or you remove/add a player, etc.

If you're solo dropping in Faction Play, it takes substantially longer than as a 12-man group. This, because 12 mans effectively jump past the first queue (building a 12 man team).

These delays mean that overall, Faction Play tends to pay dramatically less per hour of play than quick play does, and (potentially) worse is that because the payoff happens less frequently but larger, it tends to be more "jumpy":

You get 2 matches in, and (badly) lose both, and you'd have earned more with a single quick-play win, despite having spent a LOT of time queuing.

Personally, I find the match building times (even if you understand how the queues work etc etc) alone tend to wreck faction play for me. Even if I made the same or more money, all that time spent not-playing (but in a queue, so unable to play around in the mechlab or what have you) is just irritating.

#28 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

Is this wait time based on lack of players that want to do faction play? Is it based on lack of players? Is it based upon game mechanics?

The numbers seem off, I am at 11 million right now, and I need seven million more cbills. The problem is I am making about 60k for a loss and 100k for a win. Is this normal? If it is thats fine its just a small grind. I loved MW4 but I have to say I think they did a hell of a better job in MWO. The changes to lasers, make it harder for pin point hits, the LRM system is cool. Every match may have a familiar map but I just never know whats going to happen next. I have had some funny moments at times with the Oh sh... type of deal. Good game.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

Requires 24 players of two specific factions in most cases (12 each) choosing to fight on the same planet. It is extremely team oriented, all players must have 4 mechs each and such there are 96 mechs going into battle with turrets, gates and generators.

Part of the issue is that peak hours are determined by cease fire times. Nothing done until a few hours before the ceasefire matters because if you won a planet you could lose enough of it to lose the planet when ceasefire comes.

Later this month the basic and flawed systems are getting massively overhauled. And like any massive changes, I expect a plethora of bugs thus saying it won't be worth it until next month.

Here is a great experience.
https://youtu.be/Wfg0q1XBR2U

And this is the typical "first experience".
https://youtu.be/Vso4YzeH6Y0

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

As mentioned, 75k to 150k is pretty normal. I tend to get around 196 even without premium, however this is due largely to my preference in inefficient DPS mechs. Easier to rack up damage pay.

#31 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

View PostLances107, on 08 April 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Is this wait time based on lack of players that want to do faction play? Is it based on lack of players? Is it based upon game mechanics?

The numbers seem off, I am at 11 million right now, and I need seven million more cbills. The problem is I am making about 60k for a loss and 100k for a win. Is this normal? If it is thats fine its just a small grind. I loved MW4 but I have to say I think they did a hell of a better job in MWO. The changes to lasers, make it harder for pin point hits, the LRM system is cool. Every match may have a familiar map but I just never know whats going to happen next. I have had some funny moments at times with the Oh sh... type of deal. Good game.

Assuming that you're not running Premium time, and not in a special mech (Hero, Champion, or other special variant, for which you inevitably paid real-world cash), and that you're playing roughly-average new-player level, yeah. That's pretty average earnings there.

Concerning CBill earnings, there's a LOT of advice out there on the topic. First and most important thing to do? WIN. Second most important thing to do? CRAP-TONS OF DAMAGE. Damage pays. Kills pay. Kill-Most-Damage-Dealt pays. Combine a K with a KMDD and you get a SOLO KILL, which pays. Destroy a component (even a no-armor-on-it arm), and that pays. Also, be aware that team damage DOES cost you CBills now (I think it's 21 CBills per point of TD, so not much for the occasional oopsie).

So, the CBill economy has taken a few twists and turns. Used to be that we earned more CBills per match (or at least seemed that way), but we also had to pay to repair our mechs and repurchase spent ammunition. Even in a decent performance in a win, you sometimes failed to break even after putting your mech back in like-new condition. So that was cut out, and shortly after, earnings were nerfed hard (again, it at least SEEMED that way). There have been some tweaks to earnings, including adding a lot of little things to encourage team play and information warfare (which honestly has been a bit of a letdown so far).

So now, you also earn some bonuses to CBills and XP for things like spotting, scouting, and so on. If your UAV detects a target and a teammate subsequently damages/kills that target under UAV detection, you get some bonus for that. If you NARC an enemy and it subsequently gets punked by your teammate, you get bonus. Same for TAG. If you COUNTER an enemy's ECM, you get bonus for that. SMALLER bonuses, sure. But nonetheless, it's something to have in mind, especially if you're not in a position to do damage at the moment but still want to both contribute to the fight AND buff your bottom line take from the match.

As for earnings efficiency, keep in mind that the fewer players there are in a certain weight class, the sooner you'll get a match. That is, if 45% of the players waiting in queue on your server are in heavies, and only 10% are in lights, and the rest are split evenly between assaults and mediums, then your BEST bet to get a quick match is in a light mech, and you'll likely wait the LONGEST for a match in a heavy mech. If you're just trying to grind up CBills for your next purchase, you may want to make that a primary consideration. PRO TIP: This weekend is going to see a VERY full heavy mech queue, likely exceeding 50% most of the time, due to the Alpha Lance weekend challenge event (all four mechs are HEAVY). Run a light or assault, usually, for your best shot at quick matchmaking.

Also, though, if you're set on keeping the mech you're in, and it's going to get you a slower matchmaking time, it may still be worth it to grind XP AND improve your personal familiarity with that chassis. So, even if you're seeing >50% Heavy, if you WANT to live the heavy life, then go ahead and wait for your matches anyhow.

FINALLY, I have to plug the MEchwarrior Academy. Beyond a tutorial, it has some features that will be fairly helpful to you in developing your skills with the unique control layout and gameplay mechanics of MWO. Use the Gauntlet and Running Cored features to practice preserving your mech's vital components under enemy fire. The Shooting Gallery and Onslaught features will help you in managing your heat when firing, prioritizing targets, hitting moving targets reliably with ballistic weapons (and PPCs), and quickly recognizing/targeting vulnerable components of enemy mechs. And you can bring it all together in the Battle Zone feature, to practice against live-fire (though stationary, at least for now) target mechs. It's worth a run-through regularly, especially while still learning. And it's something I do with ANY/EVERY new loadout I try, BEFORE I do a live drop in that configuration, just to make sure I've got the weapons groups set up well and all that. The Academy is a SUPER valuable tool that is, IMO, underappreciated and underutilized by MWO players right now.

#32 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:40 AM

Well right now I stay with the pack as it were. I use up my LRMs first supporting my team, once they are done and used up, I then move up for the close and mid range fighting. This does not always work out with places like the canyon. I did notice a large amount of heavies, so I am thinking of going Assault. As when I get in the thick of it, I like to lay it on, and I typically do not retreat.

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

Don't go dire wolf for your first assault. Heh. Positioning is everything.

This is not the best example, but it should be fun nonetheless.
https://youtu.be/QwHw2A9orr4
My first run in a Mauler, generally showing more cautious ranged combat followed by closing in when opportunity strikes.

Also, these are very long but worthwhile.
Aggressive assault. https://youtu.be/0bCcbe4bVqw
First half is a battlegrid tutorial. Kinda disorganized though. Second half is using the battlegrid while leading a charge and commanding the entire team as well as being the one with the most damage and kills in the end. (Being a commander doesn't exonerate a player from fighting, carrying your weight is all the more important when in charge!)

Missile assault. Stalker trial. First match teaches about lrms, group settings, etc. Second shows the value of positioning as I manage to keep relocating to keep enemies bombarded while still close by to allies without joining those who fall in battle.. https://youtu.be/FI0Vv41SnFI

Good luck.

Edited by Koniving, 09 April 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#34 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:37 AM

I hear you, I have learned allot these last few days, and I have more to learn. I am going clan mechs because I intend to join Jade Falcon, so I want to get a feel for them. I am aware of how powerful Inner sphere mechs can be. The low heat alone on IS lasers can open up allot of options on a IS mech, that clan mechs can not compete with. I also screwed up with the warehouse yesterday. I wanted to play a bit with my light in the mech lab, when I was done changing out weapons and stuff, I had lost a significant about of cbills. Forcing me to sell the light and eventually picking up a timber wolf. I know some of you tried to warn me, but I messed up anyways. So its going to be a mad cat for a long while.

As for what your saying above, I have seen much. Here are a few examples, one match my team destroyed the other team with LRMs alone, by the time we were empty they only had two to three mechs left. I have also seen my team try this and the other team bringing a aggressive push behind us or on our flanks, and causing us to move into a kill zone of theirs. My biggest flaw right now is chewing off more then I can chew. Working on that.

Question about the prime time gift. Can you use the prime time gift on yourself?
Now the big question, how does one help gain lock on for their team, by using NARC. I tried using it once and I noticed it had no lock on. The range seemed to be less then 600 meters. Also I could not tell if I tagged the mech. Lastly once you tag a mech with NARC does it stay active until that mech is dead in that match? Does it light that mech up for your team to use LRMS on it?

#35 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:30 AM

View PostLances107, on 10 April 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Question about the prime time gift. Can you use the prime time gift on yourself?
Now the big question, how does one help gain lock on for their team, by using NARC. I tried using it once and I noticed it had no lock on. The range seemed to be less then 600 meters. Also I could not tell if I tagged the mech. Lastly once you tag a mech with NARC does it stay active until that mech is dead in that match? Does it light that mech up for your team to use LRMS on it?

Assuming you mean a gift code for premium time, just redeem it under Redeem, top centre while on the forums, if you mean the 1 day premium time you get when you download the client from this site, it activates when you next login to the game after you click on the button, and it can only be used once.

The way NARC works is you fire the missile at an enemy Mech, if it hits it attaches a homing beacon to that Mech, the NARC missile has a rather slow projectile velocity so it can be hard to hit a moving target.
assuming the enemy do not have enough AMS to kill the NARC missile and you had aimed correctly the beacon will hit the enemy Mech and transmit for 30 seconds, however the beacon is disabled while in range of active enemy ECM but it will counter any the ECM on the Mech it hits, for its duration.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 April 2016 - 02:30 AM.

#36 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:35 AM

So I am working on this Mad Cat, and I got it just about where I want to , but I ran into a few snags. I need to be able to change out a omnipod that has Jumpjets on it, and I need to dump one of the heat sinks. At first it looked as if I could not do it, but when I was messing around with the warehouse and picked up a omnipod with the same designation of the mad cat I picked up, it had two jump jets on it for the left torso. Now this begs the questions how is that possible? What I am missing?

Thank you for the information on the Narc.

#37 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:27 AM

Not sure if it answers what you're asking, but some omnipods have fixed equipment that can only be removed by switching out the entire pod. For example, the Timber Wolf pod you were using (presumably the -S) has two jump jets hard wired into it and possibly a heatsink.
To change an omnipod, there'll be a tab in the mechlab marked "omnipods", drag and drop the relevant one into the relevant slot on the mech (for example, a left torso omnipod into the left torso slot). The centre torso can't be swapped in this way, as the centre torso is what determines the variant of the chassis you are using. For example, using a Timber Wolf with -A variant arms and side torsos but a -Prime centre torso means that it is still designated as a Prime variant.
Try messing around on http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/, it's a fantastic online mechlab tool for putting together theoretical mech builds

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 10 April 2016 - 05:28 AM.

#38 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

Is their certain tiers for certain skill levels, not the skill points in the game, but the skill of players? Recently it feels like I jumped into a whole new level of Mechwarrior online. Also someone mentioned you need four mechs for faction play. Do they need to be a light, medium, heavy, and assault? If not than can someone have say four heavies or four assaults? I do not have four mechs but the call to arms thing popped up anyways, so why is that? Would not only pop up if I had four mechs?

#39 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostLances107, on 11 April 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

Is their certain tiers for certain skill levels, not the skill points in the game, but the skill of players? Recently it feels like I jumped into a whole new level of Mechwarrior online. Also someone mentioned you need four mechs for faction play. Do they need to be a light, medium, heavy, and assault? If not than can someone have say four heavies or four assaults? I do not have four mechs but the call to arms thing popped up anyways, so why is that? Would not only pop up if I had four mechs?

everyone has a tier, 5 being lowest, 1 being highest.

usualy you will be mostly matched up against people in your own tier, but the longer you are waiting for a match the wider range of tiers are likely to be in your game, and the greater the mismatch in team makeup is likely to be.

a match can have players from upto 3 sequental tiers, so if you are tier 3 you could be up against 3, 4 and 5 or 1, 2 and 3 or 2, 3 and 5.
if you jump up a tier there will be on average better players both on your and the enemy team.

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

Lances107, on 10 April 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

The details are given. But to know if you narc the enemy, you will see a dot with three waves, showing that the target is being broadcast. Even if no one can see it, the target can be selected.

How it feels on the wrong end of it.
https://youtu.be/75ibOurir8Q
It's short. You will notice when the enemy Raven appears my ecm is countered and my ecm doesn't go back up. Instead I'm pelted to death.

And as the user sporting lrms too.
https://youtu.be/_3n_cBUkK1c
Skip first 5 minutes and note the video is dated, premade groups no longer drop alongside pugs. Lots of narcing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users