So Russ Said In The Town Hall That Pve Will Be Standalone. What Could That Mean?

79 replies to this topic

#1 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

According to the notes, anyway. He's staying mum on Twitter about what that means.

So... a separate game entirely? But he has said it would be co-op as well as singleplayer, I thought. It would seem odd to make two multiplayer games using the same assets.

So did he mean none of our mechs, or XP will transfer between the modes? We'll have to buy and level everything twice?

I know nobody knows, I'm just wondering what people think could happen.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostFelio, on 08 April 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

According to the notes, anyway. He's staying mum on Twitter about what that means.

So... a separate game entirely? But he has said it would be co-op as well as singleplayer, I thought. It would seem odd to make two multiplayer games using the same assets.

So did he mean none of our mechs, or XP will transfer between the modes? We'll have to buy and level everything twice?

I know nobody knows, I'm just wondering what people think could happen.

Probably a typical, and acceptable, true salvage system or in game market thing, like other Mechwarrior titles. Nothing inherently wrong with that. Detached from our PvP progress, since it would have zero bearing on that.

#3 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 08 April 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

Probably a typical, and acceptable, true salvage system or in game market thing, like other Mechwarrior titles. Nothing inherently wrong with that. Detached from our PvP progress, since it would have zero bearing on that.

My experience with previous titles is very, very limited. So like, to get a 'mech you could either salvage it from the battlefield or buy it?

Is this so you can't get a mech co-op side and make it awesome, then come to PvP and wreck face? Are we really concerned about that? It's so much more about the pilot than the mech, and they don't take that long to "level up" anyway...

#4 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

Basically it means don't expect to have access to any of the stuff you have paid money for so far in the PVE campaign and be ready to shell out some money to play it.

#5 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

View PostFelio, on 08 April 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

My experience with previous titles is very, very limited. So like, to get a 'mech you could either salvage it from the battlefield or buy it?

Some MW games have salvage based on what appeared in the mission and whether or not it actually was salvageable ( random chance based on damage ) , some have salvage guaranteed if you take out certain mechs, regardless of how you do it. Bonus objectives occasionally give equipment too. Some games you can sell salvage and buy equipment and mechs, some games you can't, that depends largely on whether it would make sense or not.

#6 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 08 April 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

Basically it means don't expect to have access to any of the stuff you have paid money for so far in the PVE campaign and be ready to shell out some money to play it.

At first my brain dismissed that as the usual hate speech, but it probably means exactly that, doesn't it?

#7 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 08 April 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

Some MW games have salvage based on what appeared in the mission and whether or not it actually was salvageable ( random chance based on damage ) , some have salvage guaranteed if you take out certain mechs, regardless of how you do it. Bonus objectives occasionally give equipment too. Some games you can sell salvage and buy equipment and mechs, some games you can't, that depends largely on whether it would make sense or not.

To expand upon that, will we have access to mix tech in PVE? For example, we disable a Mad Cat and from the wreckage we salvage 2 Clan ER Medium Lasers. In this theoretical scenario would we be able to equip those ER ML on an IS chassis for PVE?

#8 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

I'm more interested in what their timeline for development is. Most games take a span of years to complete. If they begin PvE development in 2016, it could well be 2030 before it sees the light of day due to PGI having to split their focus and resources. It might be better if they didn't make such announcements until they were reasonably near to being completed.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

As a standalone game, it is fair to assume that the stuff you pay MC for in the player-vs-player game cannot be directly imported into a campaign.

That would be cheap and cheesy.

"Mission 1: Here is your first Mech, rookie. It's not the biggest or baddest Mech around, but you'll soon learn how to use it to great effect. Your objective Mechwarrior is to begin our campaign against the vile-"

"WAIT A SECOND! *caching caching* Okay, Sir. I'm ready."

"Wait, I didn't even finish briefing you yet... And where the hell did that Mauler come from?!"

"Oh, I bought it with MC."

"But we don't have any Maulers on this planet!!"

"Hey, I said I just bought it, didn't I?"

#10 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,476 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

Will it be called Mechwarrior: offline?

Edited by Sjorpha, 08 April 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#11 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

This is actually a really interesting question. Biggest mystery for this game at the moment, no kidding.
This and will Aerotech ever be added.

Edited by Johnny Z, 08 April 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#12 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 08 April 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

I'm more interested in what their timeline for development is. Most games take a span of years to complete. If they begin PvE development in 2016, it could well be 2030 before it sees the light of day *snip*

In the town hall before this one, Russ gave a target time of the end of 2016. He has shied away from talking any more about that target, so it might not happen, but I don't think it will be more than a year from now. I think they will start work on it as soon as CW Phase 3 is live and tuned a bit.

View PostProsperity Park, on 08 April 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

As a standalone game, it is fair to assume that the stuff you pay MC for in the player-vs-player game cannot be directly imported into a campaign. *snip*

I guess, but not because buying mechs would make the campaign easier. They will have to sell something for it, and it'll most likely be mechs.

I don't think leveling something in one mode and using it in another is a big concern. At least it isn't to me. The game is so much more about the pilot than the mech, and buying and leveling a mech doesn't take that long anyway. It's not like leveling a MMORPG character over hundreds of hours on a PvE server and moving it to a PvP server.

They just don't want us to take our stable of paid-for robots into a new mode without paying extra. Heaven forbid they add value to a purchase.

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,980 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

Stand alone

Or stand on its own you don’t have to be connected to the net

Like your PC is standalone you only connect to the internet when you want
An old Arcade game is a standalone game

#14 Dale Grible

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

A fun way to do it would be a campaign u play thru with their assets and then once compleyed would unlock the ability to use pvp mechs.

For instance they start u in a raven but on replay u could pick any light mech from your stable. What else would be cool is alternate banter dialouge(?) from the instructor

Say ur sittin in a artic cheater

"Not sure where u got that POS but pretty sure it was built by a capellan. Don't know why the Draconian empire would allow trash like that in the ranks of the second sword of light"

I think i got the politics right, right?

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:20 PM

Some MW games have salvage based on what appeared in the mission and whether or not it actually was salvageable ( random chance based on damage )

it usually wasnt random. it was based on whether or not the item was destroyed.

if the enemy mechs engine exploded you couldnt salvage the mech.

if the weapon was critted out you couldnt salvage the weapon.

#16 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

If standalone means PGI will develop a new game for PVE, when do you think it will be ready taking PGIs development speed into account while having two titles running at once?

I am already laughing while thinking about that :D

#17 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 April 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

To expand upon that, will we have access to mix tech in PVE? For example, we disable a Mad Cat and from the wreckage we salvage 2 Clan ER Medium Lasers. In this theoretical scenario would we be able to equip those ER ML on an IS chassis for PVE?

That was possible in older games. I don't think PGI would do that however. I could be wrong though. They might allow it in a single-player game.

#18 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:42 PM

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 08 April 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

If standalone means PGI will develop a new game for PVE, when do you think it will be ready taking PGIs development speed into account while having two titles running at once?

I am already laughing while thinking about that Posted Image

I doubt they will develop it themselves. Probably provide the art assets that already exist, but let a low key studio make the game.

#19 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

I doubt they will develop it themselves. Probably provide the art assets that already exist, but let a low key studio make the game.

That would make me really look forward to PvE, could become a decent game if done so.

#20 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

For the record, he didn't say MWO's PvE component would be stand-alone. He mentioned a stand-alone PvE title, and the context was that this was a separate entity from MWO. That's why you never take the notes at their word without context.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users