What Do You Think Of 4V4 "scout" Game Mode?

Gameplay

71 replies to this topic

#61 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

View Postice trey, on 20 April 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

On paper, the match sounds heavily in favor of the recon unit rather than the counter unit. All you have to do is evac one 'mech, and the dropship is armed to the teeth with Large Lasers with perfect aim.

Is it really difficult? Don't know. I don't have a unit, and the faction TS was pretty quiet, with the only players online being the ones that never turn off teamspeak. What I can say is that the pugs sure as hell don't RTFM before dropping. I got pissed off mostly at how dumb the players were being. I'll come back when they RTFM and/or when players show up in TS to make groups with.

On the other hand. 4V4 match mode? Much better idea. Faster match making. Everyone's cuing up for the scouting missions. Whether for match making speed or just plain old novelty of a new match type. Bad idea? Making a tonnage limit for recon rather than a minimum speed limit. Streak Crows might think twice when dealing with fast heavies or assaults like 400XL battlemasters. Some matches saw pugs bringing mechs like the Hunchback moving under 80 kph for recon jobs. Maybe the players are just not smart enough to understand "Recon", and that's why all the pub cue modes are repackaged deathmatch modes.

Call it what you want, winning the fight wins the match and pays the best, so people are going to gravitate to that.

#62 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

View PostReptilizer, on 20 April 2016 - 04:19 AM, said:

This is it. If there was a better way to play the objective, we would not have this discussion.
Alas, as of now there is no real objective and also just one set of tactics that fits all sizes.

There wouldn't be just one set of tactics if you'd try stuff out instead of throwing your hands up and declaring the game mode dead.

#63 Reptilizer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:01 AM

View Postaaykeem, on 20 April 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

There wouldn't be just one set of tactics if you'd try stuff out instead of throwing your hands up and declaring the game mode dead.

Seems it needs a greater mind than mine to come up with something useful though.
I am quite sure that there is a stratagem out there telling you to avoid being dictated a certain tactic by your enemy.

The brawl is not what i choose, it is what clan has chosen for me. And there is no reason for them to change it, because it works damned well.

#64 Donegal

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:26 AM

Scouting is not a function of the weight-class of a Mech. It is a function of the speed of a Mech. The Lore would have us believe that a minimum top speed of 91.6kph defines a scout Mech. That is unless your House Steiner. Then its mostly heavies and assaults 'cause that's all they got :)

#65 DeRazer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

My suggestions.

There should be a fixed timer for the dropship to land and it should be set at around 6-7 minutes. This makes running for intel more strategic - you need to know when to stop searching and stops the whole principle of either side "choosing" when to start the clock.
Both teams should be able to see the dropship landing area via a circle that steadily decreases over the countdown period (dropship can land anywhere within that circle - not just the middle).
Defender circle is larger however making exact location harder to predict for them.
Attackers extract as soon as they have spent 10 seconds in the LZ.
Attackers CANNOT extract if they have taken damage in the last 3 seconds (resets the 10 sec clock)
Dropships WILL pull out early if they take sufficient damage (simulated by extraction wait time clock speeding up as they take damage)
Defenders do not gather intel but instead POISON intel sites (10 seconds) - Attackers gathering here LOSE 1 point of Intel (disinformation)

#66 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostG SE7EN7, on 19 April 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

Reduce weight to 50t mechs...done

And all because you fear facing a crow?

Toughen up you so-called "Mechwarrior". <smh>

Edited by Mystere, 20 April 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#67 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:11 AM

what about taking range buffed ER Large laser locusts and ER PPC commands and legging everyone, then waiting until end of match, cap one and go running ? great way to stall, you only need a single one remain in the game, the others can park their mechs and go rinse repeat on their alternative accounts to block the Queue.

sounds like a very exciting mode. not. i wish it was more scouting, less brawling.

#68 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:14 AM

View Postaaykeem, on 20 April 2016 - 01:47 AM, said:

I have no doubt the forum is filled with expert game designers with jaw-dropping portfolios ...

I'm sure it is.

Posted Image

#69 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

Here's a better idea: remove the weight limit and use only the larger maps. Allow Steiner scout lances if people choose to do so.

<maniacal Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image>

#70 Monodominant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 113 posts
  • LocationWarsaw, Poland

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

So far, I LOVE this mode.

Sure, as IS, seeing the Streak Crows march on you does strike some fear... but if not PUGing it (where honestly with just 4 pilots it shows) you can get a good quick and bloody match.

If streaks are being an issue try using AMS...

Also... apart from the usual cookie cutter lights, how about trying Griffins, Cents and Blackjacks... they can stand up to the streak-crows and give back good.

LOVE IT.

#71 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostMystere, on 20 April 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

Here's a better idea: remove the weight limit and use only the larger maps. Allow Steiner scout lances if people choose to do so.

<maniacal Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image>

Aside from the sarcasm, this would work when you have to run around alot for the objectives. (Maps are too small in MWO anyhow, but that's what the brawl arcade gamers want obviously.)

#72 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

View Postmaniacos, on 20 April 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Aside from the sarcasm, this would work when you have to run around alot for the objectives. (Maps are too small in MWO anyhow, but that's what the brawl arcade gamers want obviously.)

Sarcasm? I'm 100% dead serious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users