What Do You Think Of 4V4 "scout" Game Mode?

Gameplay

71 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

I know it's only been out for a couple of hours. Screw it, let's be bold. Let's throw caution to the wind and try to analyze it.

It seems to me that PGI tried to make a game mode where there would be something like role warfare and you could finally win a match by scouting. And that shows they're listening to feedback from the players, I think. However... I don't think they actually accomplished what they wanted to.

Long story short, it seems to me that the best way to win 4v4 is by killing the enemy robots again. Like Skirmish, like Domination, like Conquest, like Assault. Killing enemy robots is safest route to victory. Let's break it down, maybe there's something I have misunderstood and you can explain it to me.
  • If you defend and you cap intel points, you trigger enemy extraction. If they get one mech on the square, they get the intel points they've captured. If the defenders trigger the extraction and the extraction point is somewhere that is hard to see (e.g. on the border of the map, behind a mountain) then you probably won't know where to go. In otherwords, defenders should probably always focus on kills, not try to trigger extraction.
  • If you attack and you cap intel points, you trigger your own extraction. However... if you spread out, you risk losing mechs because the defenders will most likely be hunting you. And after you kill the enemy mechs, you have ~2 minutes to pick up intel anyway, with no risk. So why not just kill enemy mechs right away?
TL;DR - It seems to me that the best strategy is to pick the deadliest mechs possible, your Streakcrows, SRM Griffins and whatever, and just group up and kill mechs. So... 4v4 Skirmish, basically. Followed by 2 minutes of hunting intel points while the elevator music plays. Am I wrong? Is this another team deathmatch? Or will people actually pick the Mist Lynx and Locust and try to win by cap and stealth?

Edited by Alistair Winter, 19 April 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:30 PM

>New game mode is supposed to favor lights
>It favors max-size medium brawlers instead
>Hilarity ensues

Edited by FupDup, 19 April 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#3 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

Streakcows vs SplatGriffs for the win?

Dont mind me, im just waiting for PGI's public apology for messing up a hyped game-mode.

#4 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,576 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

No, you aren't wrong, which is honestly ok with me, but those expecting light only drops to be more about objectives are little naive imo.

#5 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

In all game modes the vast majority will always pick killing robits over anything else if they have the option.

#6 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

View PostFupDup, on 19 April 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

>Hilarity ensues

This so much

#7 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:37 PM

Kill 3 mechs, leg the last one.

Collect rewards, snore.

#8 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

I scout the traditional Marik way, with a Wolverine. 2 lights and 2 mediums would be the optimal drop for it imo.

#9 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

I mean, there are ways to kind of fix this, I guess. You could do things to force people to spread out and cap more. But would that really be fun for MWO? The game is so shallow, it's basically designed around deathmatches. Making people spread out to hunt for easter eggs on huge maps may not be terribly exciting.

So maybe PGI didn't fail. Maybe Russ wanted another "just brawl bro" game mode and it is working as intended. And the whole intel beacon aspect is just a little razzledazzle for Faction warfare scoring, makes it easier to determine when the 12v12 matches get satelite sweeps, long toms, etc.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that this is exactly what they wanted.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 April 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

Kill 3 mechs, leg the last one.

Collect rewards, snore.

The funny thing is that legging and leaving the enemy is absolutely not griefing because it's a preferred tactical method to accomplish the intended game objective. You cannot be reported for legging the whole enemy team and then disengaging.

#11 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostFupDup, on 19 April 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

>Hilarity ensues

I don't recall PGI ever saying this. Could you provide a source of your assertion?

Edited by Mystere, 19 April 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#12 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 April 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

I mean, there are ways to kind of fix this, I guess. You could do things to force people to spread out and cap more. But would that really be fun for MWO? The game is so shallow, it's basically designed around deathmatches. Making people spread out to hunt for easter eggs on huge maps may not be terribly exciting.

So maybe PGI didn't fail. Maybe Russ wanted another "just brawl bro" game mode and it is working as intended. And the whole intel beacon aspect is just a little razzledazzle for Faction warfare scoring, makes it easier to determine when the 12v12 matches get satelite sweeps, long toms, etc.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that this is exactly what they wanted.

You know the more i think about it, it would haven been better for everyone if they just released solaris arena mode....looking for a shiney in a friggin big empty map is boring and frustrating. On Polar we usually looked for the enemy to engage them and just make gameplay more fun.

#13 Queen of England

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

4v4 medium brawl mode actually sounds pretty fun.

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,576 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostWill Hawker, on 19 April 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

2 lights and 2 mediums would be the optimal drop for it imo.

It won't change anything though, it will still be the best option to play it like skirmish first.

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostMystere, on 19 April 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

I don't recall PGI ever saying this. Could you provide a source of your assertion?

The "fluff" explanation of these battles is that you're trying to collect intelligence about enemy forces, the heavy/assault classes aren't even allowed in the mode, and the mode is called SCOUTING.

Edited by FupDup, 19 April 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#16 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

They however lured the Battletech fandom with buying that darn MW license, then provide a game that's similar to Hawken (with worse graphics and sound design) or other similar arcade deathmatch games.
Battletech was once a tactical game. MW today is a shot'em'up. They promised alot with that fraction play since it was announced, yet failed to deliver.

Edited by maniacos, 19 April 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#17 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

Played one with a blackjack 1X. Good game for me, fast and furious, against clan mechs, we won 4-2 after we clashed on the same intel pod.
Next time I'll take a Griffin 2N

#18 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

But they allowed 55 tonners. 35 tons should have been max if they wanted Light scouting.

#19 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

What PGI wants is nowhere near what the playerbase wants.

View PostFupDup, on 19 April 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

The "fluff" explanation of these battles is that you're trying to collect intelligence about enemy forces, the heavy/assault classes aren't even allowed in the mode, and the mode is called SCOUTING.

"Scouting" has a limited definition if you're playing @ Tier Paul. Use a UAV, and I guess call it a day?

#20 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users