Tier 2 Harbors The Most Frustrating Mwo Experience (Here's Why)

141 replies to this topic

#101 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostbLeeat, on 27 April 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

laser vomit is still meta like it always has been. hunchies with small lasers is now cheetah with small lasers... still laser vomit...pop tarting had a very short life time and now its just peekabooing with out the jj's.

No, no its not.

#102 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostbLeeat, on 27 April 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

laser vomit is still meta like it always has been. hunchies with small lasers is now cheetah with small lasers... still laser vomit...pop tarting had a very short life time and now its just peekabooing with out the jj's. srm's have been buffed before. remember scat cats?

Laser vomit is not the meta, it's a solution to the meta under certain conditions and it's only supreme in solo queue where you gain much from the flexibility offered by lasers to perform consistently. In groups or MRBC, laser vomit has a tendency to be used for its threat-factor while the bread-and butter work seems to be accomplished by SRMs or, on heavy drops, massed ACs. The vomit 'Mechs usually get focused down fast if they aren't a Light. And while the most powerful Light is an SRM-carrier, it's not like they have many options besides lasers to begin with.

#103 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 April 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

Laser vomit is not the meta, it's a solution to the meta under certain conditions and it's only supreme in solo queue where you gain much from the flexibility offered by lasers to perform consistently. In groups or MRBC, laser vomit has a tendency to be used for its threat-factor while the bread-and butter work seems to be accomplished by SRMs or, on heavy drops, massed ACs. The vomit 'Mechs usually get focused down fast if they aren't a Light. And while the most powerful Light is an SRM-carrier, it's not like they have many options besides lasers to begin with.

you can stay in ur group ques playing the same exact people everyday... mean while the rest of the game is just drying up. a new player is gonna build what??..... cuz its what??? for pug players and new players nothing has changed. still in beta mode with pgi confused on how to balance the game.

#104 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostbLeeat, on 27 April 2016 - 04:23 PM, said:

you can stay in ur group ques playing the same exact people everyday... mean while the rest of the game is just drying up. a new player is gonna build what??..... cuz its what??? for pug players and new players nothing has changed. still in beta mode with pgi confused on how to balance the game.

Forgive me if I call you out for being hyperbolic. I hardly play group queue, I'm mostly solo. When I'm not playing a Light, I'm usually playing something with PPCs or SRMs. It does not at all feel like it's drying up to me, and I see tons of build variety.

Note, I don't necessarily think the balance is great, but the game is much better off now than it has been in the past.

#105 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

The truth is much simpler:
PLAYING AGAINST GOOD PLAYERS IS SHITE BCS THEY USUALY REFUSE TO GIVE YOU A FAIR (if any) FIGHT!!!

#106 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 April 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

Forgive me if I call you out for being hyperbolic. I hardly play group queue, I'm mostly solo. When I'm not playing a Light, I'm usually playing something with PPCs or SRMs. It does not at all feel like it's drying up to me, and I see tons of build variety.

Note, I don't necessarily think the balance is great, but the game is much better off now than it has been in the past.

on the other hand you have a lot of people who want 3025 mode cuz they dont feel its better now,but worse.

#107 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

Jazzbandit
All your problems start with you
It has nothing to do with the composition of your team or the team your on or the tier your in
If you go into a match with the belief that your team composition or map selection makes a difference you are going to have a bad time

Fix this by looking at your own game play
If you bring a brawler you must think like one
Every map supports every style of play , some are harder than others , some require creative decisions

For instance , why are you complaining about hiding behind a rock ? Probably because you just tried to face charge the enemy strong point and took a face full of laser , that means you're doing it wrong, in any game or combat situation if your pinned you have dun goofed because it was your choices that put you in that spot

If you see your or their team is full of laser campers , flank , get on coms summon some help or at the very least let the team know what you're doing

Realize the importance of understanding the weakness of your builds and avoid getting into those situations
Stop playing like a sheep , analyze your environment and exploit your strengths

You cannot expect to enjoy the game at all if you rely on others to make it happen

#108 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 27 April 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

PLAYING AGAINST GOOD PLAYERS IS SHITE BCS THEY USUALY REFUSE TO GIVE YOU A FAIR (if any) FIGHT!!!

The most respectful thing a good player can do for a bad one is kill them quickly, thoroughly, and utterly. Anything else is maintaining the illusion that the bad player is anything but, and hopefully getting stomped will make this clear that indeed, you need the gitguds. At worst, it should get them to another game at more their skill level, faster.

The only thing not being "fair" is the matchmaking system, as it keeps shoving bad players into the same games as good ones as if they were good players- when instead, it should be putting Prince Pubbie back down in T4 where he actually belongs. A tier system only works if it actively pushes players in both directions, rather than having a net result of "upwards".

Edited by wanderer, 27 April 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#109 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostbLeeat, on 27 April 2016 - 04:49 PM, said:

on the other hand you have a lot of people who want 3025 mode cuz they dont feel its better now,but worse.

They have also been beating that drum since open beta, 3025 only won't draw in new players just old bitter vets.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 27 April 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#110 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

The main reason peek and poke builds dominate PUG games is because you can't rely on your team to push with you. A coordinated push will completely destroy the peek and poke team every time, but that coordinated push never happens with 12 random people who don't know or trust each other to have anybody's back. So, how to get the best results when you have no faith in the other 11 guys? Play a build best suited to solo operations - peek and poke, high alpha build. That has the minimum reliance on team play.

It's an issue with the players, not the game.

#111 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

But this is how you win. You win by fighting 2v1. You win by isolating mechs and focus fire. You win by making favorable trades and/or pushing at the time when you can be sure to KO a good number of enemies. What I don't like is sometimes, I feel like the team that has more mistakes, or that makes more mistakes, loses in the pug que. It's a case of who can throw harder.

I'm still pretty low tier, but it's like everyone said, the Tier bar is for the most part, an experience bar. If you win games it will eventually increase, but you have to grind a lot of matches to get up to tier 1. And even down at tier 4 I see a lot of metamechs builds. Granted, I also see a good share of trial mechs or random builds, but I see good builds as well for the most part.

On the topic of metamechs, its a great resource, but I do like to build my own stuff from time to time. Sometimes I like to have Gman's help if I'm trying to outfit a new mech, but then I experiment, try and come up with my own solution...or just build silly stuff like MPL armed RFL-5D :P

#112 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 27 April 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

They have also been beating that drum since open beta, 3025 only won't draw in new players just old bitter vets.

would you say more new players are staying or leaving in the state the game is in right now? and thanks for acknowledging the bitter vets, doesnt it say something when "vets" people who know this game are still beating that drum till this day? bless the new players hopefully things change for them but they still havnt had to deal with the same shite for years with no real change.

#113 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

View PostbLeeat, on 27 April 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

would you say more new players are staying or leaving in the state the game is in right now? and thanks for acknowledging the bitter vets, doesnt it say something when "vets" people who know this game are still beating that drum till this day? bless the new players hopefully things change for them but they still havnt had to deal with the same shite for years with no real change.

Again, what are you expecting to change? I mean, they could add new game modes...but it's not like MWO is dissimilar from other arena shooters which maintain the exact same game-play over the course of their life-cycles. Look at Quake 3: still the same, all these years later. Counter-Strike? Hasn't changed (actually, CS:GO has inferior hit-reg to CS 1.6 and Source, something many of us dislike immensely, and there is only one spread pattern per weapon).

What do you want from MWO?

#114 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

Well, yeah, what kind of idiot fights fair? If you want fair, go flip a coin.

#115 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostEscef, on 27 April 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

Well, yeah, what kind of idiot fights fair?

Clanners.

#116 GernMiester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

Its really just convergence.

A delay of some amount of seconds before any weapons converge and you don't have a quarter size hole burned through you before you can react. You have a bunch of quarter size dents and maybe get to live for 1-2 extra minutes .

Maybe it would be better if ballistic and laser weapons just converged at the specific weapons optimal range. That sounded better before I typed it but no matter, IMHO instant convergence is the devil.

The instant pin point accuracy with all your weapons, no matter what the range, is just plain brutal.
You peek and you can easily get some component removed.

The pin point accuracy, no matter what the range, is just plain brutal.

#117 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 April 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Again, what are you expecting to change? I mean, they could add new game modes...but it's not like MWO is dissimilar from other arena shooters which maintain the exact same game-play over the course of their life-cycles. Look at Quake 3: still the same, all these years later. Counter-Strike? Hasn't changed (actually, CS:GO has inferior hit-reg to CS 1.6 and Source, something many of us dislike immensely, and there is only one spread pattern per weapon).

What do you want from MWO?

is that how pgi promoted this game,just another arena shooter? atleast then we'd have more than 5 maps to play from,after 4 years? its funny how u blindly defend things. i get it,you have an opinion and you think the state of the game is just fine for you. but there are a lot of old vets who dont agree with you. you tell me whats changed since 2013 other then weapon balances and mechs that dont change game play or meta.

#118 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

Playing a specialized brawler is hard. I haven't figured it out completely myself, but I have seen others who have. These people can pull off impressive damage scores in a pure brawler Atlas even in wide open maps like Polar.

On the games when I have brawled successfully, I had to be patient and wait for the decisive moment before committing, otherwise I'd just be wasting my armor. When you're not a peek-and-poker, there's no shame in hiding behind cover if the fight hasn't entered your range yet and there's no way to move into range without taking too much damage. Playing the enemy's game on their terms will just end up with you losing. Keep watching the map, wait for your opportunity and act decisively when it comes.

#119 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:11 PM

View PostbLeeat, on 27 April 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

would you say more new players are staying or leaving in the state the game is in right now?

Probably bleeding, but its due to multiple reasons, not the meta, and certainly not because they are limiting themselves to 3025 for more staleness.

#120 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 27 April 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

Playing a specialized brawler is hard. I haven't figured it out completely myself, but I have seen others who have. These people can pull off impressive damage scores in a pure brawler Atlas even in wide open maps like Polar.

On the games when I have brawled successfully, I had to be patient and wait for the decisive moment before committing, otherwise I'd just be wasting my armor. When you're not a peek-and-poker, there's no shame in hiding behind cover if the fight hasn't entered your range yet and there's no way to move into range without taking too much damage. Playing the enemy's game on their terms will just end up with you losing. Keep watching the map, wait for your opportunity and act decisively when it comes.

whats the incentive to team play tho in this game? other than in group que, everyone else just playing to do the most damage with the most lasers in arena maps.cuz this game only rewards damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users