ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 04 May 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

The FAQ says the Night Gyr might get quirks to resemble the effects of Laser Heat Sinks (essentially that environmental heat transfer quirk that the Hellslinger has based on how laser heat sinks work, I presume). They EVEN said they are considering putting in a "glow" effect to the Night Gyr when it heats up, because laser heat sinks are supposed to glow.

I'm going to go with "hell yes", especially to the glow thing. Its not guaranteed but that sounds very cool. Do it PGI!

They also said a lot of things about the archers missile covers.

Not in the FAQs, but word of mouth from the Prez hisself.

But hey if they do make it into a walking LiteBrite, I can't wait to kill them from extreme ranges on any night map.

#82 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 May 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

They also said a lot of things about the archers missile covers.

Not in the FAQs, but word of mouth from the Prez hisself.

But hey if they do make it into a walking LiteBrite, I can't wait to kill them from extreme ranges on any night map.

True. In all likelihood it'll be a quirk to ignore environmental modifiers. Due to its limited critical slots it may be wise to give it an energy heat quirk and maybe some turn/accel/decel quirks because of its low speed. What do you think, Bishop?

#83 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

View Postcazidin, on 05 May 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

True. In all likelihood it'll be a quirk to ignore environmental modifiers. Due to its limited critical slots it may be wise to give it an energy heat quirk and maybe some turn/accel/decel quirks because of its low speed. What do you think, Bishop?

Don't expect much in the way of positive quirking. The Night Gyr is a gunbagging monstrosity - a lot of folks on the forums have considered it the best Clan 'Mech not in the game yet, insofar as timeline goes. 38 tons of weaponry is considered by many to be its own quirk.

Anyways. PGI plz. Would very much love to know if quirks and Laser Light Show are going to happen before the end of early adopter bonuses.

#84 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

View Post1453 R, on 05 May 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Don't expect much in the way of positive quirking. The Night Gyr is a gunbagging monstrosity - a lot of folks on the forums have considered it the best Clan 'Mech not in the game yet, insofar as timeline goes. 38 tons of weaponry is considered by many to be its own quirk.

Anyways. PGI plz. Would very much love to know if quirks and Laser Light Show are going to happen before the end of early adopter bonuses.

Yeah, it's going to have assault lvl firepower for sure. It may not be the fastest heavy but having that much omph in CW will do a lot for the clans.

#85 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 05 May 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

and apparently turn heat into light.... or is that rubbage?

Thats quite a big difference you seem to just be sweeping under the rug there if its the differnce. Unless the Hellslinger is in fact also using this tech and PGI just interpreted it wrong or something...or its same tech just one applied to the mech itself the other to its DHS'.

No, they work by turning heat into light, that's why they glow when you're hot. That's why there's a glow.

I'm not sure why you're arguing this, or think I'm arguing with you; I'm honestly baffled.

They cool by (BATTLETECH SPACE MAGIC) turning heat into light instead of through environmental heat transfer, so their cooling ability isn't impacted by environmental heat (positively or negatively). They work as well as DHS in terms of dissipation ability.

The Hellsinger doesn't use LHS as far as I know, but it has a quirk that achieves the same immunity to external heat thing, so no, it doesn't glow. I don't really know (or particularly care, as I don't really care a lot about Battletech Fluff in terms of "How Things Work" as it's terrible; that's way too Battletech geek even for me) whether it's supposed to glow or not. It doesn't matter for the Night Gyr though.

All I ultimately care about is that the Night Gyr glows when hot, because that's awesome.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 May 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

I'm sad about the Archer missile bay doors, too :(

I often wonder if I just have very different display settings from everyone else, but I've got no problem at all seeing mechs at any distance on night maps - or really, in any circumstance at all.

I'm fine regardless, though, I don't care if the glow actually is a huge disadvantage. I'm totally ok with looking badass and being a target while I'm wrecking face. Rule of Cool supercedes everything else in Battletech, after all. I mean, the whole game is utterly ridiculous on the face of it, but that's ok because it's so damn awesome.

View Postcazidin, on 05 May 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

LHS fluff quirkage aside, it'll get no other quirks, certainly not agility ones. Absolutely zero chance of that at all, nor should it.

It'll be packing firepower comparable to 100t assaults; it doesn't need anything else.

#86 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 May 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

It'll be packing firepower comparable to 100t assaults; it doesn't need anything else.

Considering gobs of IS heavies move the same speed, it's gonna be good in CW, especially on maps where an intermediate range to brawling situation can be forced. Which... is just about every one of them save Boreal Vault (which I have a searing hatred of due to its overall map design) and possibly the canyon map.

(Also, consider: Kodiak, Night Gyr, Stormcrow, and Arctic Cheetah currently fill the 260 bracket. :3 )

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 May 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#87 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

You can't put 38tons of weapons on a night gyr. Fixed JJs and 12 mandatory HS.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 05 May 2016 - 07:15 PM.

#88 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 05 May 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

Yes you can. It comes, stock, with 38 tons of pod space (37 of 75 tons used), and comes stock with only 1 ton of armor short of max, it is absolutely possible. That 38 tons is after taking the jump jets and DHS into account.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 May 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#89 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 May 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Considering gobs of IS heavies move the same speed, it's gonna be good in CW, especially on maps where an intermediate range to brawling situation can be forced. Which... is just about every one of them save Boreal Vault (which I have a searing hatred of due to its overall map design) and possibly the canyon map.

(Also, consider: Kodiak, Night Gyr, Stormcrow, and Arctic Cheetah currently fill the 260 bracket. :3 )

Or, for me, Kodiak, Night Gyr, Hunchback IIC, and Adder. But yeah, I'm very, very happy with this Posted Image

#90 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 May 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

Or, for me, Kodiak, Night Gyr, Hunchback IIC, and Adder. But yeah, I'm very, very happy with this Posted Image

Good, glad you've got a drop deck coming that you'll enjoy, I've been enjoying:

WHM-6R (S)
WHM-BW
RFL-3N(S)
RFL-LK

#91 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

I don't think PGI should simulate the laser heat sinks on the Night Gyr. As far as I know from the lore, only early production models had the laser heat sinks as Clan Jade Falcon decided that double heat sinks that made their 'mech glow in the dark in exchange of reducing the chances of a heat-induced ammo explosion. weren't worth it. The rest of the Night Gyr production used regular Clan double heat sinks.

From a game standpoint, it would make the 'mech easier to shoot at in night games. I'm not sure that would be worth a external heat transfer quirk.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 06 May 2016 - 02:38 AM.

#92 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:41 AM

But a fiercely glowing, brink of shutdown mech will look cool right before you drop it. Posted Image

#93 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 04 May 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

The FAQ says the Night Gyr might get quirks to resemble the effects of Laser Heat Sinks (essentially that environmental heat transfer quirk that the Hellslinger has based on how laser heat sinks work, I presume). They EVEN said they are considering putting in a "glow" effect to the Night Gyr when it heats up, because laser heat sinks are supposed to glow.

I'm going to go with "hell yes", especially to the glow thing. Its not guaranteed but that sounds very cool. Do it PGI!

indeed, it really does. Also, it should lower the crit chance of overheating damage.

#94 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:08 AM

Im all for certain chassis getting specific quirks that follow lore.

Wolfhound, Jager, RFL all come to mind.

Edited by mogs01gt, 06 May 2016 - 05:08 AM.

#95 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 May 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

No, they work by turning heat into light, that's why they glow when you're hot. That's why there's a glow.

I'm not sure why you're arguing this, or think I'm arguing with you; I'm honestly baffled.

So no you are just repeating what i said with a no in front of it?

I just said, they turn light into heat, the hellslinger DOES NOT DO THIS.

No one is arguing with you....lol.

Edited by Scout Derek, 06 May 2016 - 10:42 AM.
Removal of unconstructive quote. Revis read 1453 R's explanation.

#96 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 05 May 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

Sure you can:

View PostRoadkill, on 04 May 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

38 tons with near-max armor. TC4 represents the Night Gyr's locked jump jets.

#97 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 06 May 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

Revis.

Wintersdark is baffled not because he's trying to be a jerk, but because NOBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

You seem to be insanely offended that the Night Gyr might get the same sort of heat-transfer quirk they gave the Hellslinger, but you have not yet explained why. Or what your issue actually is, if that's not it.

As has been explained multiple times: in the original tabletop game, and thusly established BattleTech canon, the Laser Heat Sink was an experimental system which was installed in early runs of the Night Gyr. Laser heat sinks use [BATTLETECH MAGITECHNOLOGY] to convert thermal energy into visible-light energy instead, shunting that light outside of the BattleMech for reasons. They do not use convective cooling. As such, laser heat sinks cannot benefit from the increased efficiency of convective cooling in cold environments, but in trade they are unaffected by the decreased efficiency of convective cooling in hot environments.

In terms of gameplay, this effect has already been implement via the Hellslinger's external heat transfer quirk. The Hellslinger does not use laser heat sinks. It is an apocryphal 'Mech designed by Piranha, not Catalyst, FASA, or anyone else, and was given the EHT quirk for Piranha Reasons. The only reason the Hellslinger has been mentioned in this thread at all is specifically and solely for the purpose of citing an existing, in-game example of how such a design feature might be implemented for the Night Gyr. Ramping the EHT quirk up to 75% or even 100%, then applying it to the Gyr, would allow Piranha to simulate the uniquely stable performance profile of laser heat sinks.

That's it. That's all. That is the only reason anyone has mentioned the Hellslinger at all.

Does that help clarify the issue at all?

#98 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

View Post1453 R, on 05 May 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Honestly, it's safer to assume that it won't be a Night Glow. Remember the Atlas' glowing eye? Yeah, that got nixed in Beta. I don't we'll see any light shows from our mechs for similar reasons. Plus it'd be a huge tactical disadvantage, especially on otherwise dark maps. I hope that you like the mech though!

#99 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

People worried about being seen across the map(If they do add the glow), but all PGI has to do is add a soft glow with a LOD maybe 200-300m then being cross mapped by a guassdire would be no different then if you were running a timber that got cross mapped by a dire.

Because the LOD wouldn't animate the soft glow until you're within 200-300m,
past 200-300m it'll look very very faint almost like it's not there and then as you move into range it gets brighter.

If done right.

#100 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostGrimRiver, on 06 May 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

People worried about being seen across the map(If they do add the glow), but all PGI has to do is add a soft glow with a LOD maybe 200-300m then being cross mapped by a guassdire would be no different then if you were running a timber that got cross mapped by a dire.

Because the LOD wouldn't animate the soft glow until you're within 200-300m,
past 200-300m it'll look very very faint almost like it's not there and then as you move into range it gets brighter.

If done right.

PGI asked their Engineers to do this for the Atlas' Eye and were told that they can't because it'd lead to perceived hit detection problems. Posted Image

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users