#21 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 17 May 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

A surprise Streakcrow or Streakdog might change your opinion on that...

Not at all. An AMS makes negligible difference against a streakboat. Even if it did help, it's dumb to use 5-7.5% of your tonnage on a maybe situation when it can be used on something that you will benefit from every match.

View PostSource Mystic, on 09 June 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Problem with that is 204 pages and alot of the builds there are out of date. hence why people are starting other locust threads.

You keep saying "out of date," but the build you've proposed has a mix of two kinds of lasers with quite different range profiles with no more reason than "it doesn't waste module slots." Bluntly, there are 2-3 real 1E builds: 6SPL and 5-6ML. Anything else is pretty much silly.

#22 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

Oh yeah? well what about.....

....THIS

LCT-3M

#23 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 09 June 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

The 1E is the best locust and I believe my build is the best overall build for range heat speed armor and dps. if someone can do better please post.on my locust theory thread. of the three options though

6 mediums good luck hit and run at full speed and getting complete burn ( highest fire power)

6spl good build (lacks range but still solid) Same damage as my build I used this for a while.

2 mpl and 3 medium more range and firepower but same problem as all medium

2mpl and 3spl is my build and it is by far the best all around build as it has good heat good dps
lets you use the extra module slots. and also gives better range.

Believe what you want, but you've built a mech that doesn't even have an ideal engagement range and has multiple cycle times to mandate split firing and/or excessive face time. If your SPLs are in range, your MPLs are needlessly hot. If you're using the MPLs' range your SPLs are doing nothing and 12 damage isn't likely worth the exposure time. If you want to use MPLs, use 3 and do it on the 3M where the quirks support it. Both my 5ML (25) and 6SPL (24) 1Es are equivalent firepower to your hybrid (24) build and they have specific ranges at which they excel.

And if you have serious issues landing ML shots while running (especially with a 25% duration quirk!) you probably shouldn't be giving light advice.

Edited by TercieI, 09 June 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#24 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 09 June 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

2mpl 3 spl better damage good heat less range but better optimized for the build i challenge you to do better.

No need to take up that challenge. Terc's already eaten your lunch, and hasn't left any scraps worth fighting over. His criticism is spot-on.

Besides, regarding my LL+2ML I've already acknowledged elsewhere that this isn't a performance build, so much as a variety build. I wouldn't expect anyone to hunt through the Locust Megathread for it though.

Explicatory chatter:

A couple quirk passes ago after the 1E had long-since lol'd at the 3M, I proposed it in the Locust Overhive as a way to so something different with the 3M.

It made for a lightning-fast midrange flanker-poker, which was fun enough to grind out the masters on it. Note my use of the word "fun." I had a great time with the build on the 3M, playing to my strenghts for lolz. Boosted my KDR, too ;)

Honestly not sure if I like the 3M's cooldown more for the LL+2ML build, or the 1E's duration and range. I do know that the 6SPL an 5ML builds are better on the 1E, by such a wide margin that it's beyond a shadow of a doubt. Still not sure I have a must-run build for the 3M.

If you like the way your build plays in your hands, don't let me stop you. Regardless, I think Terc's right about what plays better performance-wise.

#25 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 09 June 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

2mpl 3 spl better damage good heat less range but better optimized for the build i challenge you to do better.

?

!

!!

OH SHEET!!! WE GOT A LOCUST-OFF!!!!

I REPEAT

WE HAVE A LOCUST-OFF!!!!

TWO BUGS ENTER, ONE BUG LEAVES

​TWO BUGS ENTER, ONE BUG LEAVES

Somebody tweet Russ and cancel the tournament until this matter is settled!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 09 June 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

?

!

!!

OH SHEET!!! WE GOT A LOCUST-OFF!!!!

I REPEAT

WE HAVE A LOCUST-OFF!!!!

Spoiler

Somebody tweet Russ and cancel the tournament until this matter is settled!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your presentation is off, if you'd staggered the size like this:

Spoiler
Remember, showmanship.

BUt I can provide some Premium Time to allow for a private match and a Locust Off. Posted Image

Edited by Ovion, 09 June 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#27 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:44 PM

View PostOvion, on 09 June 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

Your presentation is off, if you'd staggered the size like this:

Spoiler
Remember, showmanship.

BUt I can provide some Premium Time to allow for a private match and a Locust Off. Posted Image

I was never good with type...

Do I get to be David Bowie?

#28 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:32 AM

TWENTYFOUR BUGS ENTER
AN UNKNOWN NUMBER EXITS

#29 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:48 AM

View PostDarthHias, on 10 June 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

TWENTYFOUR BUGS ENTER
AN UNKNOWN NUMBER EXITS

THERE WILL BE SALT.

#30 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

Dude omfg thank you. You have just helped me with all my locust builds

#31 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

I've had luck with mixes, mainly on the PB, but I really feel that in a fight between Locusts, SPL-boats are gonna win hands-down. The duration is just too important when fighting something that fast. The 1V LPL monster isn't bad for this either, but as it's damage over time focused, you have to have consistently good accuracy while both you and your target are accelerating and decelerating from nothing to a ton and vice-versa near-instantly. It's hard. The 1E will let you take best advantage of the shots you get.

Mixed greens and reds are ok, but the expanded range options really just don't keep up with the raw efficiency of building for a range and staying in it, especially when you have the ability to control the range to your target by virtue of Locust speed.

I'm not going to say my way is better because I've been doing this a lot longer and have run literally all kinds of builds both serious and silly on Locusts. I'm going to say it is better because it objectively permits you to sustain better DPS and range is among the weakest of all factors for consideration in Locust builds. 1E and 3M are best used as SPL-boats, especially against other lights.

Furthermore, the consensus among most players is that boating is best, and they're at the least not wrong. Mixed range builds get better the slower you are, since they allow you to engage enemies that use their speed to stay in their ideal range envelope, albeit not as well as something built around the range they happen to be using.

#32 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

You can do an effective mixed range locust if you make the mixed ranges count. Having a firing solution in fights where you don't have a good opening to close the fight is great. Sure, you lose some specialization but over the course of a battle you're useful in more situations.

LCT-1E

#33 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

It isn't a Locust, but I found the 4 MPL COM-TDK to be pretty good in a lot of circumstances. Runs hot though.

I weirdly like the ER+5SL thing you have going on there. ERs shoot far enough in excess of the SLs that it makes a bigger difference, and it hearkens back to my days of learning to COM-1B in the infancy of this game. It'll get wrecked in a brawl, but it's good enough that it doesn't suck at skirmishing.

Mixing reds and greens doesn't feel as good to me as reds and blues.

Edited by Tim East, 10 June 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#34 Cervesia

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

I have over 550 matches just in my LCT-PB alone, hundreds more in the other LCT variants, I consider myself to be primarily a LCT driver. Although, I recall, my first impressions - I hated the mech, it was a down right futile machine, made up of tooth picks and held together with bubble gum. A stiff wind and it would come apart. Now, I find it is one of the best mechs out there, especially the LCT-PB.

All LCTs have one common requirement. SPEED, IMHO - first start any build with one of the biggest engines you can fit, simply to get the most speed out of the mech, I prefer the XL engines. You have to outrun everything. Common to ALL Lights wrt game play - Never stop moving. With the LCT, more so, keep moving and move fast. Get in, get out. Their is simply not a lot of armor hit points.

The rest on how to build is based on your person preference to game play. Scouting, Spotting, TAG/NARC'ing, Sniping, Assault Support and being the Rabbit - getting people to chase.

My LCT-PB is an average k/d is around ~1.1, but my W/L is ~1.4. With this LCT-PB, it's not in it for the kills, it's about setting up my team for success. Scouting, Spotting and bringing confusion.

I have no fear of an Atlas, Kodiak, or King Crab, they are all too slow to react to the speed of a LCT. All of their CT backs are equally weak. Get in close, try to avoid running in a straight line, circle your prey, focus on the CT back.

When I die in my LCT, more often than not, I had broken my first rule of driving a light mech,- Don't stop moving. Where, I will stop, take a long peak and POW! Dead. The LCT is not meant to stop and look around.

Flank, Flank Fast, get behind the main group and start the anarchy. Watch for the shift in the direction of the main assault play, and be quick to change Flanking direction, as not to be stranded.

IMHO - all builds of a LCT should be with this idea of Speed with the intention to Scout, Snipe, TAG/NARC, and get the opponent to chase the rabbit. Also with plenty of kills standing 100meters behind them and coring out a CT back, completely unnoticed. Oh!.. When coring out a CT back, don't shoot the last guy in the line, shoot the second or third last guy in line, as too many times I see the third guy from the back turn around and start shooting the last guy - believing it was friendly fire and wanting revenge. It's too funny to watch.

#35 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

Now this is the ultimate Troll Locust build, I challenge you to build a better one.

LCT-1E

#36 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

View PostAutologus, on 15 June 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

Now this is the ultimate Troll Locust build, I challenge you to build a better one.

LCT-1E
LCT-3M
K.
Dance behind LRM boats, let them be confused as to why their missiles are going away.
Dance behind hot mechs, and mech them unhappy.

#37 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostAutologus, on 15 June 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

LCT-1E

Needs more heatsinks.

Try switching to a standard engine to free up 6 crits for two extra heatsi-... bwahahahahhahahahaa. Hawhhaha. Heh. I just can't do it with a straight face.

I challenge you to build a better trollboat without laughing.

Speaking of laughing, maybe I'll (t)roll out a 3M with an LL and 4SL for the humor of it sometime this week.

I levelled the FS9-K with 1LL+6SL back when it was quirked for SLs. It was fun and funny.

Edited by Virlutris, 15 June 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#38 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:47 AM

View PostTim East, on 23 May 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

Had the mental image of a lance of dual-AMS 3M's dropping and wolf-packing. Can't decide if it would work or not. Funny thought though.

I would opt out of that due to AMS giving away locations.

Plus, the whole damn point of living on the edge of death in a Locust is skirting death via skill, not 2-3 wasted tons.

#39 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostCervesia, on 15 June 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

My LCT-PB is an average k/d is around ~1.1, but my W/L is ~1.4. With this LCT-PB, it's not in it for the kills, it's about setting up my team for success. Scouting, Spotting and bringing confusion.

Thats not bad, specially in Puglandia where you team gets snowballed half the time. You are pulling that off with sub-30 alphas and minimal HP. Stand tall with Locust pride!

#40 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

I'm surprised to see the 4xSRM2 1S so neglected, sure it doesn't have the burst damage potential of the 1E, but it does have a significantly higher DPS. Additionally the 1S has even larger mobility quirks (25% more turning speed, along with 30% more accel and decel) which allow it to evade fire even more readily than other variants, which is important as the 1S needs to lose some armor to get acceptable amounts of ammo (two tons is not enough for a full match).

Sure ammo can become a problem, but good trigger discipline will still allow the little machine to do 600+ damage in an ideal match.

Here's my build and IMO it works far better than the 1S builds at the start of the thread: LCT-3S

The side torso armor looks worrying, but the yesterday's rescale made the STs an incredibly hard point to hit on an incredibly hard to hit mech, and after a dozen rounds only one death was caused by ST loss. The legs have shaved armor on account of their massive structure quirks, and again it proves to be less of an issue than one may think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users