Anyone Else Find Is Mechs Easy Mode?

194 replies to this topic

#61 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

The good mechs from both factions are obscenely good. Timbergod and Arctic cheater are still crazy, the last I checked. Only thing is quite a lot of IS mechs has joined their ranks, like the black knight, banshee, oxide, etc. for the first time since the clans came out. This is a good thing. Beyond that, IS is more sustained close range, clans are more pokey far range.

The only thing is the crap mechs are still crap. Summoners, mist lynx, cataphracts and commandos still stink. These are mechs that really need to get up to scratch.

#62 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

I play as a Clanner in CW but use a lot of IS mechs in quick play. I've been finding that my IS mechs preform much better than the clan ones, though the clan mechs do tend to have similar or higher damage outputs.

My IS mechs seem to be more efficient in their damage, when I look at weapon stats I can see why. The SRMs have less spread, the ballistics fire in a single slug, the laser beam durations are much shorter, quirks are thrown in to further improve those stats, I even get durability boosts on some mech variants. Ghost heat is also more forgiving allowing me to hit with alpha strikes without much worry when it would be handy to.

Basically my Atlas is walking nigh unkillable destruction, My Mauler rains death on enemies with heavy ballistics further out than a Dire Wolf and with more speed and higher mounts, My Banshee can run around with 5 large pulse lasers and cut down a third of a team with ease. All of these mechs can just cut right through enemies with ease, armor gone in a couple hits, and I end a game with 3-5 solo kills on average.

However on the Clan side I find I have to work more to poke and push and dodge and spread damage and make sure to always stay out of range of any IS mech and hope I can get my beam's full burn on a target before they can fire a shot off. If I'm going and using my Hellbringers and hitting enemies with either quad ERLLs or dual LPL dual ERML or something similar its not nearly as easy as when I am in an IS mech. Armor just falls off the thing and structure doesn't take much to finish off when going against things like IS ballistics or LPLs or even SRM bursts.

I've honestly found my triple LPL Hunchback 4p to be able to kill off Hellbringers with ease and Oxides nearby basically mean I'm a dead man if one targets me while I'm in a Hellbringer even though if I'm in an IS mech they just vaporize the moment they get in range.

I've always liked efficient killing rather than just being able to spam out damage, and that seems to be what the IS is offering now. Maybe I've signed up for the wrong side in community warfare.

What have you guys noticed when playing on both sides?

I wish you would not make posts like these I am really trying to continue to play MWO
At least until single player comes out (if ever)

I don’t want to be reminded how bad this game is becoming
As long as I don’t use my Hellbringer's things or cool

#63 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 May 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

My Commando, Spider, Panther, Urbanmech, Vindicator, Trebuchet, Rifleman, Dragon, Catapults, Archers, Victors, Awesomes, etc would disagree.

Warhammer and Marauder are real good, Oxide, BK and Hoppers a bit broken, and yes the Wubshee is the Meta Assault, I suppose.

Beyond that? Can't think of any appreciably better or easier than Clan Mechs. ACH is still better than any IS Light not named Oxide, as are Jenny IIs, Stormcrow is still better than pretty much any IS Medium, TBR, did get nerfed off God Tier finally, but is still a solid Tier 1, as are the HBR and EBJ. Really the only spot I find the Clans lacking, to a degree, anyhow, is Assaults. DWF is too immobile, and the Warhawk too gimped by locked gear (though with the right builds still really good... just not Wubshee good).

SCR wishes it was named GRF-3M/2N or SHD-2D2/2K/5M at the moment, honestly...depending on the particular crow, some of them might even wish to go on a diet and get renamed ENF-4R or BJ-1X/BJ-3/BJ-A.

The TW is only seen as a splat brawler with SPLs, mostly because it can do 4 SRMs + 6 SPLs...only SCR can do that too...and TW has more armor at the expense of a lot more tonnage.

Clans are soft at the moment...even in heavy mechs, a WHM/MAD/BK/GHR will eat a TW for breakfast...unless you happen to get a solid ambush style jump on one of those IS mechs...even then, which one of those IS mechs would ever lose to a Splat TW with an ambush jump start?

Edited by Gyrok, 10 May 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#64 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 10 May 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

The good mechs from both factions are obscenely good. Timbergod and Arctic cheater are still crazy, the last I checked. Only thing is quite a lot of IS mechs has joined their ranks, like the black knight, banshee, oxide, etc. for the first time since the clans came out. This is a good thing. Beyond that, IS is more sustained close range, clans are more pokey far range.

The only thing is the crap mechs are still crap. Summoners, mist lynx, cataphracts and commandos still stink. These are mechs that really need to get up to scratch.

Just FYI:

Oxide > Jenner IIC > ACH/FS9

BK/WHM/GHR > all other heavy mechs

(Just in case you were confused, that has been the case for quite some time, and has not changed at all in about 4-6 months)

#65 2fast2stompy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

It depends on the mech and your playstyle.
Generally, if you're aggressive and up-in-your-face, you'll do better with IS, which kinda fits BT, although for the wrong reasons.

#66 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

And here we go again do you clankers a have schedule plan crying?
Seriously.

#67 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 10 May 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

And here we go again do you clankers a have schedule plan crying?
Seriously.

Go play your noob-tube LRMs some more...seriously.

#68 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 10 May 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

btw the first 2 pages mention the banshee several times, this is the wubshee build from metamechs
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3f3e305c375bd9b

it's quite a beast yeah?

but now look at this build, if the wubshee turns a corner and finds this clan assault mech it will be TOAST.
it also moves way faster and has longer range, more damage and higher dps! and better cooling efficiency! AND it has more points of armor assigned to it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...40864b643c9b8fd
(and masc acceleration, and jumpjets...)

the downfall to this mech is the low arm hardpoints, but the banshee isn't exactly a rifleman or a jagermech either. and the exe or gargoyle can use tons of energy hardpoints VERY well
here is a gargoyle that has lower heat efficiency but can strangely sustain more dps than the wubshee and has a lot more dmg output
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aaf9a22afec8556

claiming wubshee is instawin button is plain wrong

often time the clan mechs have a bit lower placed hardpoints, or arm placed hardpoints in lots of clan mechs, that is both bad because you lose weapons easily but also good because arms have more range of motion.
do you want your clan mechs to have no shortcomings whatsoever? have your cake and eat it too?

gargoyle and exe can certainly hang toe to toe with the laserboat banshee or the laserboat battlemaster on equal terms if not better in some form or another.
mix it up with gauss?
it's not my job to come up with ways you can beat the banshee. if some players in lighter mechs can kill it then why can't you? i think you could if you tried.

Darn those builds you came up for for the Executioner and Gargoyle were horrible, really though. I mean you have 3 different laser types on all of them and use the longer range weapons on the lower hardpoints and the short range weapons up high, don't have much if any synergy with the arms and torso movement, and all run stupidly hot, not to mention the first Exe build having almost 2 tons free and space to use for some reason.

A Banshee would easily crush any of those builds, though I'd use a different loadout for my banshee than what you used there also. This for example:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ae83b8167ab340e

Runs faster, cooler, more damage, more sustain, more armor, more firepower at longer ranges. The small lasers aren't normally to be used, but push the large pulse lasers all up to the ultra high mounts, though they do get to throw in 6 points of damage if you need it.

Also for the sake of it here is an Executioner build I use a lot. You really don't want to use the ERLLs on an Executioner, it is a massive target and with the long burn times you'll take much more return fire than if you swap to LPLs.

Mixed lasers:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e475aa0478f5712

Gets the 2 CLPL up high to poke with its MASC, then gets the 6 small pulse lasers for close combat defense and with the arm actuators they give you a good chance at cutting down light mechs. Its able to put out decent poke at range and then when people rush you you can hit them with your full alpha strike repeatedly and swap to just the small pulse lasers if you are running too hot up close.

In a straight 1v1 my money is on the Banshee, in actual combat where the Banshee and Battlemasters can use their high mounts holding massive firepower to their advantage its basically game over for Executioner and Gargoyle.

#69 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Structure quirks, accel/development quirks. Heat quirks, range quirks, ppfld delivery >clans.

#70 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

I wrote this in another thread already but it belong here so...

Last week my Adder and SCR were really good. The Kitfox not so good, the shape and hardpoint isnt good for me. The Nova would be great too if it wasnt for the fact that anytime i get shot, one part of my body becomes instantly cored. The shadowcat is not my cup of tea, at all, if im gona go dual erppc ill do it on a light, if i wanted to shoot 1.5seconds cerll... well... i never want to shoot 1.5second duration laser...

I mostly only play IS and it was fresh to not be dead when i expected to be because i would have been dead on an IS mech. I didnt really brawl with any of them though as it was just too easy to put my damage down range and the new popular maps want that.

#71 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

Hello,

I have only been playing for a couple of months and so I wont speculate on balance/Easy mode, as currently, i'm neither experienced or good enough at this game.

Fun wise I'm finding the quirked IS heavies and Assaults are much more appealing to buy. And more enjoyable, both to drop with, and build with than the clans Omi-Mechs.

For me personally, the IS lasers with lower heat and shorter duration are much more appealing to use than the longer range, longer beam duration clan lasers. Same with quirked single slug ballistics vs Clan versions, and again with quirked IS missiles vs Clans... build wise being able to change engine sizes and having the option to include or exclude things like: ferro fibrous/Endo steel/Jump jets/MASC... is again more fun.... where as some of the clan Omi-Mechs are just so boring to build with :(

Though to answer your question no. (Neither are easy mode to me). But IS Heavies and Assaults are currently a lot more fun for me to use!

#72 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 10 May 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

Darn those builds you came up for for the Executioner and Gargoyle were horrible, really though. I mean you have 3 different laser types on all of them and use the longer range weapons on the lower hardpoints and the short range weapons up high, don't have much if any synergy with the arms and torso movement, and all run stupidly hot, not to mention the first Exe build having almost 2 tons free and space to use for some reason.

A Banshee would easily crush any of those builds, though I'd use a different loadout for my banshee than what you used there also. This for example:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ae83b8167ab340e

Runs faster, cooler, more damage, more sustain, more armor, more firepower at longer ranges. The small lasers aren't normally to be used, but push the large pulse lasers all up to the ultra high mounts, though they do get to throw in 6 points of damage if you need it.

Also for the sake of it here is an Executioner build I use a lot. You really don't want to use the ERLLs on an Executioner, it is a massive target and with the long burn times you'll take much more return fire than if you swap to LPLs.

Mixed lasers:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e475aa0478f5712

Gets the 2 CLPL up high to poke with its MASC, then gets the 6 small pulse lasers for close combat defense and with the arm actuators they give you a good chance at cutting down light mechs. Its able to put out decent poke at range and then when people rush you you can hit them with your full alpha strike repeatedly and swap to just the small pulse lasers if you are running too hot up close.

In a straight 1v1 my money is on the Banshee, in actual combat where the Banshee and Battlemasters can use their high mounts holding massive firepower to their advantage its basically game over for Executioner and Gargoyle.

bravo you took apart a build i made in 3 minutes flat.
i am sure you could do it buddy. should i give you applause?
i was always aware you could improve the half assed crap i put together to make the points i made (comparing the numbers, and the fact you got lots of energy hardpoints to fill)
but you can move stuff around and get something similar or better obviously.
i even said in that same post that it's not my job to come up with your builds so obviously i didn't spend even 10 minutes on it. that's YOUR job, i don't drive a clan assault because to kill a wubshee i don't need a mech that has the same weight.
i kill wubshee with a lighter robot

#73 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 10 May 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

i don't drive a clan assault because to kill a wubshee i don't need a mech that has the same weight.
i kill wubshee with a lighter robot

With which lighter clan mech you kill the wubshee?

#74 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 10 May 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

With which lighter clan mech you kill the wubshee?

ACHs and Jenner IICs?

#75 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostGyrok, on 10 May 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Go play your noob-tube LRMs some more...seriously.

Yup sure will my friend.
I see your tear mode has engaged - apologiesPosted Image

#76 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 10 May 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

bravo you took apart a build i made in 3 minutes flat.

Maybe you should put more than 3 minutes into your argument then?

I've taken over 2hrs to write a single post before. It takes time to cross-reference smurfies to ensure the quirk numbers are right. It takes time to research the right formulas to use, and it takes time going in/out of game to grab screenshots and/or videos.

If you don't have the time to actually support your argument, perhaps NOT arguing would be the correct choice, eh?

#77 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:17 AM

Whenever this discussion comes up we get passionate people on both sides screaming at the top of their lungs that the other side is op. Then pointing out mechs on both sides to "prove" their point.

First off, give PGI a bit of credit BT never intended Clan mechs to be balanced against IS (Freebirth) mechs one v one. Overall PGI has done a pretty good job balancing mechs and right now balance in this game is better than it has been (in spite of Paul Posted Image). Both sides have good and bad mechs, period.

However, I would say that atm, top "tier" Freebirth mechs are (in general) slightly easier to play. Lets face it, in FW or League play nobody brings lower "tier" mechs if they can avoid it. You won't see many Gargoyles over Timberwolves, nor will you see Orions over Marauders. In this range freebirth mechs are more forgiving with heat management, easier to place damage, and more sturdy, Trueborn mechs have more range, slightly higher alpha and normally a bit more speed. In general, I have found it easier to score higher numbers in matches with freebirth mechs, but don't take that to mean they are "better", only easier to make perform (which lore wise is fine, since freebirth "warriors" are supposed to be inferior Posted Image, so I think of their mechs as having training wheels).

Kidding aside, both sides have mechs that can kill the other, you might have to use them a bit differently, but they do work. So I just ignore the "My Commando can't kill an Artic Cheetah" because the Mist Lynx isn't going to kill many Firestarters either....

#78 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:51 AM

IS mechs, specially BK, WHM, and GHR are so broken, than i often feel bad for the timber pilot i'm melting.

Those thing can pump ungodly amounts of damage in the shortest time window....
it is not funny anymore!

Clans have been fcked at every turn PGI got their hands on them.

One would expect the clans to be reverted back to their original unfcked state now that the IS mechs are giga-buffed.

#79 H I A S

• 4,971 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:13 AM

Whenever this discussion comes up we get passionate people on both sides screaming at the top of their lungs that the other side is op. Then pointing out mechs on both sides to "prove" their point.

Compplayers across different factions told and will tell (with proof) the forum, that the is has an edge over Clamz at the moment. so they are all bias?

Ps: in leaugeplay u will allways bring the mech that fit ur dropdeck and tactics on the best possible way, including gargoyles.

Edited by arivio, 11 May 2016 - 02:25 AM.

#80 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:14 AM

IS, Clans...no matter what I play it is always hard mode for me.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users