402 replies to this topic

#1 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

So it's free stuff, maybe, if you spend MC?

That's...huh?

#2 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:30 PM

Mystifying really. Even if you bother to go looking for that cache, someone else is likely to get the chance to sell it.

#3 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostBilbo, on 09 May 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

Mystifying really. Even if you bother to go looking for that cache, someone else is likely to get the chance to sell it.

That part makes sense, so it's "ok if I find it" but no one is motivated to abandon their team to hunt for it, but...then spend MC? Oi.

#4 TheKIps

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hahahahahaha, i burst out laughing when i heard this. PGI are implementing team fortress 2 / Dota 2 style crates with real money keys?

What are they going to put in the boxes "kerensky tigerstripe [Rare] AC20 limited edition"?

Does anyone remember Mechwarrrior tactics? +12 assault machinegun blue edition.

#5 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostTercieI, on 09 May 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

That part makes sense, so it's "ok if I find it" but no one is motivated to abandon their team to hunt for it, but...then spend MC? Oi.

That part makes it a pointless feature. Might as well just have coin flip to see which team gets a random player a chance to sell whatever is in the cache.

#6 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

Crates....

Why does PGI think that the most obnoxious aspects of other free-to-play games need to infect MWO?

The sad thing is, there was a lot of cool stuff in the roadmap, but crates (and that's what they are) spoil it.

#7 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostBilbo, on 09 May 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

That part makes it a pointless feature. Might as well just have coin flip to see which team gets a random player a chance to sell whatever is in the cache.

Wait... what is all this about now... I've just been typing up a new topic, so I'm out of the loop.

#8 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:37 PM

I, for one, welcome our new lockbox overlords.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 09 May 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#9 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 09 May 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

Wait... what is all this about now... I've just been typing up a new topic, so I'm out of the loop.

From the new Roadmap:

Supply Cache
July will introduce a new Supply Cache mechanic into all Quick Play and Faction Play matches. Each match will include a single Supply Cache randomly placed on the map. If a player finds and captures the Supply Cache, all members of the team are notified of the successful capture. At the end of the match a random player from the discovering team will receive the Supply Cache. If the Team who captures the Supply Cache also happens to win the match, a second player from the same Team, randomly selected, will also be given a Supply Cache. Once received, Supply Caches are added to the winning player's Inventory; a new tab has been added to the Inventory screen which will contain Supply Caches that have been earned.

Each Supply Cache can be inspected before opening to see what is contained within. Players then have the ability to purchase a Supply Cache Key using MC to unlock the Supply Cache. Once a Supply Cache has been unlocked, a random selection of the Supply Cache contents will be awarded to the player; the rest of the items are destroyed. Alternatively, unopened Supply Caches can instead be sold off for C-Bills.

#10 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

I'm hoping that the caches will include permanent patterns, colors, gxp bundles, and the like. The ability to sell them for c-bills is a nice way to let even committed free players benefit.

#11 TheKIps

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

View PostBlueFlames, on 09 May 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

Crates....

Why does PGI think that the most obnoxious aspects of other free-to-play games need to infect MWO?

The sad thing is, there was a lot of cool stuff in the roadmap, but crates (and that's what they are) spoil it.

because its popular so pgi (having only just looked at other F2P games) have realised they NEED this "feature"
however theyre going to do half a job with adding them, theyve already announced that while boxes can only be opened for MC they can only be sold or C-Bills. its like a cruel perversion of crates in TF2/Dota2.

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

Who wants to guess the cost?

I'll say 50 MC

I won't be surprised at 500

#13 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostBilbo, on 09 May 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

From the new Roadmap:

Supply Cache
July will introduce a new Supply Cache mechanic into all Quick Play and Faction Play matches. Each match will include a single Supply Cache randomly placed on the map. If a player finds and captures the Supply Cache, all members of the team are notified of the successful capture. At the end of the match a random player from the discovering team will receive the Supply Cache. If the Team who captures the Supply Cache also happens to win the match, a second player from the same Team, randomly selected, will also be given a Supply Cache. Once received, Supply Caches are added to the winning player's Inventory; a new tab has been added to the Inventory screen which will contain Supply Caches that have been earned.

Each Supply Cache can be inspected before opening to see what is contained within. Players then have the ability to purchase a Supply Cache Key using MC to unlock the Supply Cache. Once a Supply Cache has been unlocked, a random selection of the Supply Cache contents will be awarded to the player; the rest of the items are destroyed. Alternatively, unopened Supply Caches can instead be sold off for C-Bills.

Oh...

... and here I thought I would be faced with a horrible horrible idea that would have me questioning why I put so much money into this game ...

But no, that's totally fine... a reward system that encourages players to wander off like idiot children into random parts of the map, and then presents me with a series of token rewards and one decent one that MIGHT tempt me to drop a few coins into the game at the chance of securing that reward... only to get "randomly" thrown a UAV instead.

Yeah... that's... awesome.

My faith in humanity is... *sigh*... I can't even.

#14 TheKIps

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 May 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

I'll say 50 MC

900mc

dont forget we're talking about the company that charges $15 for a SINGLE mech.

#15 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 May 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

I'll say 50 MC

I assume it would be the cost of the single use color or pattern you are likely to get. I have no idea how much that is though.

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

Kinda sucks that they are just randomly placed and would lead to wondering around. They could just do something like give salvage to the winning team. The player that gets it could sell it for cbills or spend MC to get their engineers to make that salvage into something or some system like that.

#17 TheKIps

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hey guys i found some preview footage of the TeamMechassault crates
http://puu.sh/oMguV.jpg

i dont know if i should laugh or cry. im doing both.

#18 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

interesting

i wonder how this will play out

it could be a interesting way to give out / keep rare, things like ER mlas for IS

or it could be a total disaster like guild wars black lion chests and contain nothing of value at all

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostNaduk, on 09 May 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

interesting

i wonder how this will play out

it could be a interesting way to give out / keep rare, things like ER mlas for IS

or it could be a total disaster like guild wars black lion chests and contain nothing of value at all

No...no...no...RNG-based supply would be horrible for a competitive game. Just...no.

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

Crates.

Crates that give a random player (or two) secret stuff that can only be unlocked with MC.

Crates.

I want to know which one of you has been begging PGI for this feature. Cuz I know it wasn't me. Of all the things the community has been begging for...in some cases for years...instead they give us Crates!?

CRATES!!!?

Its a good thing Russ told us that PGI knows what it is doing with MWO otherwise I might be just a BIT concerned here.

Crates. Jebus wept.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users