402 replies to this topic

#41 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

View PostCycKath, on 09 May 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Need more detail to be able to tell if its good or bad. Honestly though I'd prefer just more general random drops for people who play rather than "FIND THE CRATE!" hunting.
Maybe keep the mini-game to the loading screen. Secondary benefit of keeping players from alt-tabbing and missing the match.

View PostLordNothing, on 09 May 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

its a slot machine.

i went to vegas once, i won a lot of money in blackjack, and blew it all in the slots. ever since then i have found gambling to be a fruitless waste of time. i could have spent that money on a prostitute

Back when the Blackjack was overquirked probably. You couldn't win against those things.

#42 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

View Postadamts01, on 09 May 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

Maybe keep the mini-game to the loading screen. Secondary benefit of keeping players from alt-tabbing and missing the match.

Back when the Blackjack was overquirked probably. You couldn't win against those things.

it helps when you play in the morning, thats when they use the noob dealers.

#43 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

At least they can be sold off for c-bills apparently, so...

Whatever, at least it has some value without spending MC.

#44 Shard Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 303 posts
  • LocationPugsville, Pugistan.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

I can see it now, some mouth breathers typing in to team chat..

"OK LIGHTS YOUR ONLY JOB IS TO SEARCH FOR THE RNGesus BOX"

GG, PGI, GG

#45 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

You know, despite the Mech Packs, the Gold Mechs and all that jazz, the one thing I could always point to was that, at least PGI didn't have stupid Lockboxes.

And, now they've got em, too. :(

#46 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

View PostSkyHammyr, on 09 May 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

You know, despite the Mech Packs, the Gold Mechs and all that jazz, the one thing I could always point to was that, at least PGI didn't have stupid Lockboxes.

And, now they've got em, too. Posted Image

It'd be so much better if we could purchase keys with c-bills too. Or, maybe, and this is just a thought here... WE DON'T NEED A FREAKING KEY TO OPEN THIS LOCKBOX AND WE JUST GET NICE REWARDS FROM REGULAR PLAY!

#47 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

Bonus: People deliberately stretching games out to find the box.

Also, if the box doesn't contain at least something CLOSE to the MC value to unlock it regardless of what you get, the inevitable result will be dropping unique superstuff in boxes with 1/10 the chance or worse to get than the junk drops.

Maybe if they also drop a unique currency of some kind that can be exchanged for said inevitable uberwantems it'd be sane to be cashing in MC to pop one. But I doubt we'll see that kind of implementation. After all, they're still making paint expensive as all get out.

#48 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

And just as this game was going uphill.

I hope PGI realizes that this is one of the main things that is killing Payday 2 and Killing Floor 2. Ofc those are pay-to-own games, but the fact that it's an item which is retrieved by physically capping it in-game is absolutely disgusting. It's going to kill pubbing, which is already meh enough as it is. Half the ******* team is going to go look for a stupid crate instead of helping the team win by shooting at them, which is you know, the whole point of a shooter?

If this was Where's Waldo I'd be a little less upset, but come on. Noone's going to take this game seriously as an e-sport if there are random boxes floating around, distracting the team.
If it was a randomly-assigned item that gets teleported into your inventory, that wouldn't be as bad, but RNG crates are generally the final nail that is knocked into a game's coffin, so this is still a horrible decision on PGI's part.

#49 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

PGI: "Hey, I heard you guys wanted more scouting..."

But seriously, PGI needs more revenue streams other than just selling mechs. Especially since they goofed and handed out all those mechbays like candy.

#50 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

Well, now we have a good/bad excuse for light mech players to go "scouting". But yes, when the game gets down to a couple of mechs on either side (or high ratio difference) will we start seeing games going on for longer as people hunt down the box?

I can see it now, people have complained about non-participating players getting into battle. The excuse will be - "looking for the supply cache!"

The contents of the supply cache is really going to be interesting... And if there is a chance of potentially "valuable" pick ups will we start seeing units gaming (drop syncing) the system for their own selfish reasons?

PGI better work out all these issues carefully or it may end up being another botched feature implementation.

Cheers!
Eboli

#51 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostTercieI, on 09 May 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

I actually don't hate the "hey, you might stumble on this" thing tat the random who gets it allows, it's the goofy pay-for-maybe I don't love.
it's really normal though. Virtually every f2p game around does this now.

As the player that finds the cage is no more likely to keep it than anyone else, there's little incentive to hare off searching for it.

Some will, but those who do would have taken off on their own anyways. We're not going going to see a lot more players doing it than we currently do.

Pay to unlock is how these things work. . It's stupid, and I hate them in every game they exist in, but ultimately just sell them for c-bills and carry on as usual.

No real harm, no foul, even if it is bafflingly bizarre and "Who the he'll ever asked for this?"

#52 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostPezzer, on 09 May 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

I hope PGI realizes that this is one of the main things that is killing Payday 2 and Killing Floor 2.

Payday 2 sort-of, KF2, not so much. Both communities weren't too happy when they got crate systems, though the KF community handled it marginally better than the PD2 community. However, those communities aren't being "killed" by crates; PD2 has a massive list of "sh*t that OVK did to piss off the players" (bigger than PGI's by tenfold), and KF2 is still in "early access" and missing "core features", which people are none too happy about (though they forget that KF1 wasn't "feature complete" until two years after it launched...).

TL;DR: Crates are probably going to make some people angry, though probably not by much more than they already are.

#53 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

So they can find a way to implement more micro-transaction trash, but not LBX modes, or saving Mech builds, or balancing.

Seems legit.

#54 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Adding more things nobody asked for, thanks PGI!

#55 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

View PostPjwned, on 09 May 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

At least they can be sold off for c-bills apparently, so...

Whatever, at least it has some value without spending MC.
Its basically a small random chance for some extra c-bills. That's all it is to me. I'll never go looking for them, but if I do get them due to the random assignment then they'll be c-bill flogged instantly.

#56 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

If they really, really feel like they have to copy this particular aspect of TF2...

...Then they shouldn't drop the crates on the map itself. Doing it this way is going to cause people to play the game even more stupidly than they do now.

A better way to do crates would be to give one out at the end of a match to players on some kind of basis. Maybe a random drop like TF2, maybe if they reach a certain score threshold, every X number of matches, etc. The point is that the crates should be handled OUTSIDE of combat, or else it's going to degrade gameplay.

#57 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

First, I think it's a stupid idea.

Ok fine, PGI needs more revenue stream. I'm ok with that. But to give 1~2 guys per 24-men team? Why not just give each of the winning side one box instead?

That'd generate enough people to catch key buying and also reward for playing as a team to win. Now we might get one or two hare off after a crate in the distance and getting killed.

Or better yet let's just fight over the Crate. Domination is now based around which Mech has the crate. Assault is to take the crate away from the other team. Conquest is to gather crates. Skirmish is one-crate per KMDD. How's that?

EDIT: And I dub ye mode... "CRATE FIGHT!"

Edited by Lynx7725, 09 May 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#58 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

View Postcazidin, on 09 May 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

It'd be so much better if we could purchase keys with c-bills too. Or, maybe, and this is just a thought here... WE DON'T NEED A FREAKING KEY TO OPEN THIS LOCKBOX AND WE JUST GET NICE REWARDS FROM REGULAR PLAY!
We don't need to make a band-aid for this mess that hasn't made it to game yet. We need to straight up stop it.

View PostDavers, on 09 May 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

PGI: "Hey, I heard you guys wanted more scouting..."

But seriously, PGI needs more revenue streams other than just selling mechs. Especially since they goofed and handed out all those mechbays like candy.

Fixing the game will make me buy more mechs, not releasing more mechs.

Edited by Scout Derek, 10 May 2016 - 10:53 AM.
removal of unconstructive word.

#59 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

I could care less about their existence, I get that PGI has to make money (although the effectiveness of their methods can be endlessly debated) My problem: don't put these things IN THE DAMN MATCH, COME ON!

So cool, I can't wait for PUGs in Solo Queue to have even less of a reason to group up. (Granted, I can only speak from a Tier 1 POV)

Add the magical random treasure chest to the current state of the game and now we'll have:
- 1 Disconnect
- The usual 2-ish players who want to run off and do their own thing
- 1-2 Players who make it their mission to run and find the new magic box of wonders
- And finally, the 6-ish players that actually want to play as a team.

What a delicious recipe!

Edited by xeromynd, 09 May 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#60 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

I play STO when I feel like Ive done enough meching for the day and they have lock boxes which you need to buy keys to unlock.

Here's the thing, you have a chance(very small) of getting a ship, mostly you get some kind of nice(blue, purple or orange) or crappy item which you can sell on the exchange.

I dont think this is going to work to well in MWO cause we dont have an exchange or colored items to make use of. Wouldnt you be pissed off if you spent MC on opening one up and oh look, you got a machine gun or 3.

I did notice it said you can inspect the box and see what is in there and then when you open it you get a random selection of some of the items in the box. I can see a bit of rage moving forward in regards to the lock boxes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users