Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

I thought you might like this.

#122 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

You are correct. Thanks bro. I have been trying to explain the Battletech Universe to my Star Wars fanboy friends. I will have to make them watch that video.

I showed one of them MWO the other day and let him take my KDK-1(S) around the testing ground. I knew he would like the warhorn and such because he loves Spartan history. I read and explained to him that the clans are based on ancient Spartan ideologies. That angle brought more interest from him but he does not have a computer able to run MWO.

Fortunately, I have the TT game and a ton of downloaded clan mech counters that I can print off. ;)

I will turn them to the dark side.

#123 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

If you had said Star Trek fanbois then we could have said based on Klingon society. Thing is though Klingons evolved a lot from the first iterations to their current deep society in the Star Trek universe, many of the ideologies between them sprang up around the same time in the late 1980s.

A good story for Kerensky's children (The Clans) is to look up the Trials. Trial of Refusal, of Blood right, of Grievance, etc.

This, and I don't know the name of the event.... But when Smoke Jaguar took a planet... a completely foreign concept occurred. The Jags describe the denizens as becoming ferocious, unpredictable Surats (bat-winged space monkeys), uncivilized, barbaric. One even describes the denizens as having gone completely mad.

It was so bad that the Jags open fire on these deranged unarmed sociopaths, first with guns, tanks, mechs and finally an orbital bombardment.

So what was this insanity?

The denizens staged a protest... which turned into a shouting match which terrified a Freebirth who then shot. The rest is just simple escalation to the extreme. This is what happens when you engage a force, beat it and then proclaim the planet is yours under Batchall....when they dont even know what you said or what it means.

Edited by Koniving, 19 June 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#124 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

Koniving, that video was cool. The mechwarrior standing on the hunchback watching dropships braking into atmosphere is what I want as my desktop.

#125 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostRhavin, on 20 June 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Koniving, that video was cool. The mechwarrior standing on the hunchback watching dropships braking into atmosphere is what I want as my desktop.

Indeed.

I'm certain you want this Hunchback on there, too.

Welcome to Battletech.

The way it appears on the tabletop. :P (And in megamek with a little bit of imagination.)

#126 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 June 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

I thought you might like this.

Note: 1:37. The dead man on the throne.
http://www.sarna.net...maris_Civil_War

#127 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 June 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

If you had said Star Trek fanbois then we could have said based on Klingon society. Thing is though Klingons evolved a lot from the first iterations to their current deep society in the Star Trek universe, many of the ideologies between them sprang up around the same time in the late 1980s.

A good story for Kerensky's children (The Clans) is to look up the Trials. Trial of Refusal, of Blood right, of Grievance, etc.

This, and I don't know the name of the event.... But when Smoke Jaguar took a planet... a completely foreign concept occurred. The Jags describe the denizens as becoming ferocious, unpredictable Surats (bat-winged space monkeys), uncivilized, barbaric. One even describes the denizens as having gone completely mad.

It was so bad that the Jags open fire on these deranged unarmed sociopaths, first with guns, tanks, mechs and finally an orbital bombardment.

So what was this insanity?

The denizens staged a protest... which turned into a shouting match which terrified a Freebirth who then shot. The rest is just simple escalation to the extreme. This is what happens when you engage a force, beat it and then proclaim the planet is yours under Batchall....when they dont even know what you said or what it means.

I can see a clan invasion and Klingon invasion going down the same dark path; The clans, for reasons you already covered, and a Klingon invasion going south because the denizens are like, "DUDE!, YOU'RE SPITTIN' ALL OVER US WHEN YOU TALK!. GET 'EM!!!"

Thanks again for the videos. I did notice the dead man on the throne. I also noticed the MWO style cockpit/missile rack on the Battlemaster. It was a nice touch. (For some reason Kerensky reminded me of Professor X in that video.) They did a great job making those videos.

#128 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

Kerensky
http://www.sarna.net...ksandr_Kerensky
The Voice of Kerensky

Note that when Clans refer to the "Words of Kerensky", they are referring to Aleksandr's son, Nicholas Kerensky.

Minor introductions to two of the twelve Clans.
Clan Wolf; Warden (until after the battle of Turk.... where Clan Wolf in Exile is Warden and the rest become Crusaders.

"The Remembrance" is a great 'bible' of sorts, telling the history of the Clans.
Clan Jade Falcon; Crusader.

Collection of cinematics over the years.

#129 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

That is an awesome collection. Thank you for putting that together and sharing it.

#130 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Played in a match yesterday that came down to less than a minute left. Our team and the other team both had two mechs left. One on each team had no weapons and was trying to block the shots against their teammate that had weapons. They fought for what seemed like an hour and it ended when our mech that had weapons took out their Phoenix Hawk that had none and our weaponless teammate rammed the little one legged Commando from their team and took him down. Melee win! It was the wildest match I have seen so far.

We were on the Canyon Network map, Assault mode. Both teams circled counter clockwise toward the enemy base. A KDK-3 and my KDK-2 were the first on base because we led the charge around expecting to push hard into them with our team right behind. They were not there so we started capping and damaged half their team, that came to block. We went down swinging as our teammates closed in behind them. I am glad I have the habit of spectating every match I can or I would have missed that wild ending.

#131 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

One of my favorite parts of this game is that every match is different. You end up on a different map playing a different game with new teammates almost every single time. Hasn't helped my consistency at all but I like to think that I am slowly getting better. My k/d ratio is improving my cbills per match is going up and my average damage is going up. I don't cap much as my speed doesn't really allow it.

One thing I have noticed is I'm very left handed with my mechs. I tend to come off the left side of buildings/terrain. It's weird but me personally being left handed might have a lot to do with it.

#132 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

View PostJack McKnight, on 25 June 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

Played in a match yesterday that came down to less than a minute left. Our team and the other team both had two mechs left. One on each team had no weapons and was trying to block the shots against their teammate that had weapons. They fought for what seemed like an hour and it ended when our mech that had weapons took out their Phoenix Hawk that had none and our weaponless teammate rammed the little one legged Commando from their team and took him down. Melee win! It was the wildest match I have seen so far.

We were on the Canyon Network map, Assault mode. Both teams circled counter clockwise toward the enemy base. A KDK-3 and my KDK-2 were the first on base because we led the charge around expecting to push hard into them with our team right behind. They were not there so we started capping and damaged half their team, that came to block. We went down swinging as our teammates closed in behind them. I am glad I have the habit of spectating every match I can or I would have missed that wild ending.

Commando melee'd twice. Well rammed.

Despite my complaint I was the one not watching where I was going.
Posted Image

I love the melee wins, my very first match had a lot of ramming and knocking down.

View PostHorse Pryde, on 26 June 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

One of my favorite parts of this game is that every match is different. You end up on a different map playing a different game with new teammates almost every single time. Hasn't helped my consistency at all but I like to think that I am slowly getting better. My k/d ratio is improving my cbills per match is going up and my average damage is going up. I don't cap much as my speed doesn't really allow it.

One thing I have noticed is I'm very left handed with my mechs. I tend to come off the left side of buildings/terrain. It's weird but me personally being left handed might have a lot to do with it.

You'll like the Phoenix Hawk. The "Guns" in the hands appear and remove with hardpoint consumption, and they can be "left handed" if you equip them that way. Being able to see the guns in your view also looks pretty wild.

---

Getting melee'd. I know I said I hate it during the video, but man I loved it.

Edited by Koniving, 26 June 2016 - 02:12 PM.

#133 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Thanks bro.

I would love to be able to push over pesky lights with my Atlases or Kodiaks and do a Hulk Hogan leg drop. -- YEAH ARCTIC CHEETAH LOCUSTS I MEAN YOU, BROTHER! -- But after that Jenner(?) teammate ran down your Commando, I can see why they changed it. At least the little buggers can be damaged a little by running into them with bigger mechs.

#134 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:16 PM

View PostJack McKnight, on 28 June 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Thanks bro.

I would love to be able to push over pesky lights with my Atlases or Kodiaks and do a Hulk Hogan leg drop. -- YEAH ARCTIC CHEETAH LOCUSTS I MEAN YOU, BROTHER! -- But after that Jenner(?) teammate ran down your Commando, I can see why they changed it. At least the little buggers can be damaged a little by running into them with bigger mechs.

There were two issues.
The first is how easy it was to knock someone over -- too easy.

The second, well did you see how I teleported several times while standing up? There was a disconnect between the Client (what you see) and the server and each version of collisions. The end result is your client would say "I fell to the left," and the Server would say "I decided you fell to the right" And bam you'd teleport.
Meanwhile everyone else that saw you fall... saw something different.
So if you have 24 players, and all 24 see the collision... there would be 25 different accounts (everyone + the server) for "What happened."
And so many enemies trying to shoot the "you" that they saw. Lots of wasted ammo.

#135 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

View PostHorse Pryde, on 26 June 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

This actually makes you a rare and valuable asset.

There was some discussion a while back, in reference to the NASCAR effect, about why we tend to circle counterclockwise and peek/poke with the right side. Most of us also SHOOT that way, which is right-handed. (I've qualified with M16 by the US Army's ridiculously simple standard, both left and right handed, but I prefer to fire right-hand and am a little more consistent that way.) There's a connection, of course. So I'd suspect that, if you were someone who occasionally handled a firearm, you would be a left-handed shooter.

Thing is, we don't have very many of those around here. And there are times when you WANT to poke around the left side, not the right. Someone who's at home with that? "Come on over here, boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far..."

#136 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

I poke left when I can, and naturally tend to move that direction because I am ambidextrous and can write, eat, shoot a rifle, pistol or bow with either hand , but I tend to reach for things with my left hand.

I build my mechs leftie too when I can. It helps to not share a corner with someone else in this game. People also tend to wait with cross hairs pointed at the right side of a structure, so coming out left can give you an extra second or so to make a positive damage trade.

#137 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:02 AM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 28 June 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

This actually makes you a rare and valuable asset.

So I'd suspect that, if you were someone who occasionally handled a firearm, you would be a left-handed shooter.

Thing is, we don't have very many of those around here. And there are times when you WANT to poke around the left side, not the right. Someone who's at home with that? "Come on over here, boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far..."

Nice, I wondered if it was just me or not. I am an avid shooter and would say I'm 75% left handed when it comes to shooting but I am capable with my right as well. I have noticed that some of the builds seems to be set for right handedness now that you have said something. Its an interesting concept.

#138 Jaguaar

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:13 AM

Hi Jack and welcome to the fight... I have to say, I have enjoyed reading this thread as you have a lot of great veterans responding with VERY helpful information.
So, for what it's worth, I have not seen anyone mention the Timberwolf (MadCat) Heavy. I myself am so happy I choose to purchase the TBR as my second mech after the Hunchie. Since then, it is be far my favorite mech to run AND Omnipods allow me to change the mech with my mood (for the most part). YOu can run just about any build type as it's a jack of all trades mech. I usually run a mix of LPLs and MPLS but last night decided to have some fun and throw a couple ERPPCS and MLs on it for kicks.
You just cant go wrong with a 75ton, 81kph Heavy with Omnipods. :)

Good luck and hope to see you out there!!!!

#139 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

Thanks Koniving, that makes sense why they stopped it but it would be cool when they get it balanced and working right.

Thanks Jaguaar, send me a friend request if you want. See ya out there.

#140 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

I bought the package with the KDK-4 and KDK-5. I just could not stop myself.

$15 for a quick fix *eye twitching* I do NOT have a problem! *wide-eyed, hair disheveled, hands trembling* I can quit any time I want!

I will give the Timberwolves another try, Jaguaar, if there is still a trial version.

EDIT: I was fortunate enough to have a match where I had the most kills and the most damage. It was with my Kodiak Spirit bear on the HPG map. Thanks for that go to everyone that gave me tips in this thread and in the new player forums. Thanks also to the teammates in that match that pushed with me.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 03 July 2016 - 07:39 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users