Adventures Of A Rookie Pilot.

260 replies to this topic

#181 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

I liked the laser sniper sight on that Hunchie Koniving! I think we could definitely do a good fire support lance. That would be great when your mic gets fixed. Thanks for sharing the videos also.

Maybe next time I will do at least a little better job of watching your back. Still had alot of fun and learned more than I thought I did. I am ready to try again as soon as it is feasible for you. Getting smacked around stirred up my determination to improve.

Horse, let us group up again and we will be with people closer to our skill level. Now that the first higher tier group drop is under our belt, the next one will not be so intimidating...hopefully. :)

Edit: That was a wierd glitch, but at least you did not almost dust your teammates with tiny ballistics LOL.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 17 July 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#182 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Had another little adventure...

Map: Tourmaline. Mode: Domination.

I am running my Arctic Cheetah because I am trying to improve with light mechs. I go to the periphery and scout a little (even though everyone knows where you go on Tourmaline) because my Locust lance mate already started the countdown for us. I move around looking for a good spot to get involved when I notice a KGC that is back, alone and hammering my team with ballistics. I sneak around and take it from behind but I stay more than 90m to keep from showing him "low signal" (Right idea?)

Then I spot a Commando trying for our bases(?) so I start fighting him light vs light. By then I realize I am the last one on our team and there are only 19 seconds on the countdown. I abort the Commando hunt and get in the circle where there are multiple mechs spreading out because the timer stopped and they know I am there somewhere. I figure I will just go down swinging so I target the previously damaged Commando and fortunately finish him but shut down in the process. Restarted and went after the closest mech because I know the end is nigh. Jagermech . . . Ouch.

I did not run away. I took two with me and did 238 damage but one of my teammates types; "Nice shutdown...smart" I say "Thanks" over the comms - I try to be a nice guy but sarcasm brings my threshold down quickly. He then types, "Go after the one with the most hp...smart". I say, "again, thanks"

Question: What should I have done? Hide and drag out a lost match? I really do not know. I felt I did my part (could be wrong) and I went down fighting. If it was a different game mode and I could move further away to harrass, I would have. If I left the stupid domination circle the game was lost anyway.

Sorry. Frustrated.

#183 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

Okay, when your the last mech left alive, you hafta realize that the snarky comments from the peanut gallery are from people who failed to survive as long as you did. This does not always mean they have no idea what they are doing, but, since we all know that no one listens to rude folk (I mean, we have a mute button now!) anyone being rude obviously can't grasp common social norms, and thus probably isn't going to be a font of mechbased wisdom.

Personally, unless I feel I can win, if I'm the last light alive (Rare occurance, you've seen me play,) then I charge the biggest mech grouping an see how long I can last inna brawl. I consider it training. Now, if they're only three damaged mechs left, I might go for the skulking hunt an try an claim the match, but for me, impatience often wins out.

(Disclaimer; Not everything I do is a good idea, it's just my idea, an my playstyle. You have been warned.)

~Leone.

#184 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:32 AM

We have the same tendencies, Leone. :)

If it had been a skirmish match, I would have been repositioning and trying to pick them off. I would not run off and hide like some do. But I figured it was a lost cause with my having to stay in the green circle and four mechs spread out looking for me. I took out the one but the only other one in range was the jagermech.

Ah well. Next time I will just shrug the comments off. Thanks.

#185 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

Don't let the Snarkies get to you; laugh it off and remember they died first.

When you are the last Mech and there is some time / space between you and them, pick who is the most isolated or weakest and go from there. Remember it isn't easy but you can safely stand on top of an enemy and shoot him or his friends. The ensuing storm is always damn funny!

We're gonna get together again Wednesday night. I'll have something basic but functional for a mic by then. We'll run some light/medium packs for the giggles and use some dogfighting tactics.

Edited by Koniving, 18 July 2016 - 09:00 AM.

#186 Plastic Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostLeone, on 17 July 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

Okay, when your the last mech left alive, you hafta realize that the snarky comments from the peanut gallery are from people who failed to survive as long as you did. .
~Leone.

My new mantra to live by. I also play lights and wound up being sole survivor last night on Crimson...with like NINE enemy mechs. I pop a couple (only had a single AC2 as a weapon) then turn and run for the saddle. I figured I could stop then turn at the top and get some hull down shots. But...got it in the back (Locust with like 4 rear CT). Snarky A-hole on mic was like "your such a p*ssy...you should stand and fight" I wanted to stand on my chair and scream. "I'm a flipping locust with an AC2...I SCOUT!" but blew it off.

Edited by Plastic Guru, 18 July 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#187 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostPlastic Guru, on 18 July 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

"I'm a flipping locust with an AC2...I SCOUT!" but blew it off.

"Get a wheel gun, prissy!"
"Whiskey tango foxtrot is a wheel gun?"

(I run mine with an AC/5 or PPC for scout-and-peck mechs because let's be honest, if you're in a Locust you gotta carry the team.)

#188 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostJack McKnight, on 17 July 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Question: What should I have done? Hide and drag out a lost match? I really do not know. I felt I did my part (could be wrong) and I went down fighting. If it was a different game mode and I could move further away to harrass, I would have. If I left the stupid domination circle the game was lost anyway.

Sorry. Frustrated.

What you should have done?

First off... Who cares what they said? Lol- just have fun!

You tried your best- thats whats important! Its quick play. You were the last guy on your team, and the fight was tipped against you.

Best thing to do is grit your teeth, and with your last defiant breath, get as much match score as you can, hopefully taking down as many with you as you can in a last blaze of glory! Remember this is just a game; try to have fun!

You did that, so make sure to just shrug of what those people said and launch a new game.

(The worst thing to do would have been to run and hide... And shut down somewhere- wasting everyones time, and locking down everyones mechs longer then they have to be! So cheers to you for not doing this!)

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 18 July 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#189 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thanks guys. I would like to play Wednesday night but it will be around 10 CST before I could get on. O_o

I am just going to ignore that stuff in the future. I really think it bugged me because I am already hard on myself about sucking at light mechs lol.

Tuesday and Thursday nights are better for me if it is feasible for you guys.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 18 July 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#190 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

Well, I just keep myself way too busy during the week I guess, Tuesday through thursday, though I may be able to stop in around 10 pm CST. Depends on how long that gaming session runs.

~Leone.

#191 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

I'll be on Tuesday (today), Wednesday, and some though limited time Thursday evenings / nights.

Plastic you're welcome to join us tonight too. Also invited another new guy will see if he joins us. Maybe we can tank the overall skill score so that me, Alex and Leone can play without us sucking in top notch 12 man groups. ;)

That'll make sure we have enough players to eat the weight twith some big time assaults while a few of us run lighter pests to find enemies and guide our assaults to glory.

#192 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

I will be on tonight. I did fickle myself into buying a Nova-C while mediums were on sale. Now I have a clan medium and an IS medium.

Now I need to buy an IS light mech.

Edit: Dintcha know fickle is now a verb? O_o

Edited by Jack McKnight, 19 July 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#193 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

When reading your text I imagine a totally different voice.

Nova is fun, will run mine with you, perhaps I'll make a build to compliment yours and we can also run yours alongside my special one. It's pretty.

Sniper sight Tags are great fun. I like taunting the enemy with it for a bit of psychology. Turning it on then pretending to relocate or go one way (psych out!) Is fun, too, when you surprise them.

Real reason I use it is to check for invisible walls when corner shooting.

#194 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

Personally I hate my voice. I hear it recorded and think of "Lenny" from Of Mice and Men.

I have a different loadout on the Nova that I have not been able to try yet. 6 ersl on left arm, 1 lpl on right arm for pokes etc... and 4 mgs.

#195 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

Patching and I'll be on.

#196 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

I hate that I will not be able to get on tonight.

Played a few with Alexandr last night and learned why Gman and the rest of the clan are ALL top notch. STOMPed.

Still had fun. Learned alot about the fatal results from bad map control and strategy. Loss of high ground = death in most of the matches. I only got a couple of kills in all those matches. I felt fortunate to get those lol.

#197 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:19 AM

I wasn't able to make it either, between our work me and the misses didn't really get to spend much time together so we went out on a date, followed by some geeking out and speculation about the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 Remake title and some future plans about our first child together.

#198 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:28 AM

I was able to get my first action in in a week and the rust showed some for the first few games. I have been running the warhammers a lot more lately and I like the slight increase to speed they give over the direwolves while still allowing me some serious fire power. I did OK but not great last night.
I really am a product of the team around me. If we roll I get 600+ damage and a kill or 3 but if we get stomped I do 100 damage and am lucky to get a kill assist.

#199 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostHorse Pryde, on 21 July 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

I was able to get my first action in in a week and the rust showed some for the first few games. I have been running the warhammers a lot more lately and I like the slight increase to speed they give over the direwolves while still allowing me some serious fire power. I did OK but not great last night.
I really am a product of the team around me. If we roll I get 600+ damage and a kill or 3 but if we get stomped I do 100 damage and am lucky to get a kill assist.

Using Smurfy, show me your Warhammer loadouts. I haven't used them but they are similar enough some other mechs I've used that I could probably suggest some improvements in how you're playing so that you'd be more self-sufficient.

#200 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:03 AM

I went right off Meta mechs with the BlackWidow Dakka build. With 2 AC 5's and 2 Ultra AC 5's. That is by far my favorite of the setups. I am noticing I tend to default to ballistics a lot.
The 7s needs work but I did my best to copy Alexander's Battlemaster only in a smaller setting

Edited by Horse Pryde, 21 July 2016 - 06:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users