Unbalanced Dom Point

122 replies to this topic

#21 Nomex 99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

View PostNighthawk513, on 28 May 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

...the domination point on Alpine peaks gives one team a serious advantage...

+1

#22 Ade the Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostNighthawk513, on 28 May 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

From what I have found, the domination point on Alpine peaks gives one team a serious advantage.

With the current placement of the Domination point on Alpine Peaks, the team that spawns in the k5 area has cover inside the circle on top of the mountain, and a way to get mechs that don't have loads of jump jets to the top, whereas the team in the J12 area spawn has zero cover inside the circle, unless they are on top of the mountain, in full view of most of the enemy team, and having to deal with anything that does happen to come up over the "ramp side".

If the current location is most suitable in terms of travel time, an easy way to fix the issue would be to move the dom point closer to J8, where the circle would no longer extend to the top of the mountain, denying the k5 team that huge advantage, and bring the cover on each side much closer to even.

^ this

It could be solved by moving the circle east slightly. Surely this cannot be that difficult to do...

#23 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

+1 for this thread

#24 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

Yup. Domination mode on this map needs fixing. But my guess is this won't happen since they're most likely planning on just replacing the entire map with a new Alpine Peaks version in the coming months... :/

#25 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:27 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 17 July 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

Yup. Domination mode on this map needs fixing. But my guess is this won't happen since they're most likely planning on just replacing the entire map with a new Alpine Peaks version in the coming months... :/

Can't happen soon enough, IMO! I know I'm not in the majority, but I dislike this map...

#26 JonDoeIowa

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

The domination point on this map gives full cover to one side and forces the other to enter the circle in open ground or cross the mountain also with no cover from the other team. This points needs to be moved off the lake.

#27 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 18 July 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

Can't happen soon enough, IMO! I know I'm not in the majority, but I dislike this map...

It's my favorite conquest mode map, but for everything else it's pretty bad. :/

#28 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:51 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 18 July 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

It's my favorite conquest mode map, but for everything else it's pretty bad. :/

skirmish and assault both work out fine now that the spawns have been adjusted and it is not a rush to idiot mountain anymore rather playing out differently for every mode. This is something I would love to see on other maps as well. Take Crimson Strait, all Matches end up battling around the deck, regardeless of the game mode. Alpine has different "hotspots" for each mode, which is great. The domination point needs to be shifted to adjust equal chances, they shifted it once, because it was imbalanced. They may shift it again or are playtesting out various locations right now. It may be impossible to find the perfect solution to this. When the map was designed nobody thought of Domination being a game mode. And in return never built a layout around it.
I really enjoy this map on every game mode aside domination. It is great to have battles occur in different places on every mode, using different assets or hills as cover, adjusting positioning. I wish other maps had this diversity. Some have the chance of becoming as diverse as Alpine in regards to "hotspots". Think of the new Frozen City or Polar Highlands. Shifting and changing Assault bases, skirmish dropzones, conquest points and the domination Beacon. can mean a totally different playstyle is needed for each mode, new directions, unused areas of the map could be activated etc. I mean why make large and diverse maps and concentrate everything in the same area and have each mode just play out as a variation of skirmish.

#29 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

View PostDanjo San, on 19 July 2016 - 01:51 AM, said:

...stuff...

I disagree with you about skirmish and assault working properly on Alpine, as there are only two hotspots I see being used. The mountain and the back area east of where the current domination circle is located. The rest of the map is generally unused. There are certainly other viable areas that could be used, but the PUG player does not make use of these areas.

The only thing I think that will fix that (forever, since maps eventually become stagnant) is implementing pseudorandom dropship spawns, so that there are 30+ drop areas for each team per map, and 3 are randomly selected for your team that match (with maybe a few grouping rules so that the spawn areas can only be x distance away from each other, don't want to spawn completely away from the rest of your team usually, and don't spawn you in the middle of two enemy lances, etc).

Edited by Darth Futuza, 19 July 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#30 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:28 AM

I don't even try for the circle anymore on domination alpine...i just flank it...doesn't matter to me to play the format on that map. I'll get my kills by backshots. What's the point? So either I can walk over a team head on or be crushed head on? No thanks. Flanking and sneaking up behind the enemy actually holds more interest for me.

#31 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:08 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 19 July 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

I disagree with you about skirmish and assault working properly on Alpine, as there are only two hotspots I see being used. The mountain and the back area east of where the current domination circle is located. The rest of the map is generally unused. There are certainly other viable areas that could be used, but the PUG player does not make use of these areas.

The only thing I think that will fix that (forever, since maps eventually become stagnant) is implementing pseudorandom dropship spawns, so that there are 30+ drop areas for each team per map, and 3 are randomly selected for your team that match (with maybe a few grouping rules so that the spawn areas can only be x distance away from each other, don't want to spawn completely away from the rest of your team usually, and don't spawn you in the middle of two enemy lances, etc).

That would be a nice change of flavour... I like that Idea of random spawns, That would defninetly work on alpine, Grim portico, Frozen City, Polar Highlands... would be difficult or useless on the smaller maps, like HPG BOG for example.

To reply to your Alpine quote. I have Matches up at the Radio Tower quite frequently, not in Skirmish, but for Assault it happens. Of course it depends if someone calls or not, in Pug Matches usually nobody calls, everybody just moves the exact same direction as always. And even if you do call there are mostly 1-2 Know it Betters that deliberatly do the opposite of what they are told and complain about an useless team afterwards, regardless if you win or not. What I mean with different Hotspots for different modes. Skirmish it does take place most of the time in or around the eastern area, that is correct. Assault has a different direction, so the fights usually occur around the mountain, but they don't have to, it extends to the radio tower or even the eastern section at times. Then for domination you are fighting in that southern part, for conquest you are fighting in the south western area. So I do believe it is diverse. Take Crimson strait. Assault -> Fights on the Dock, Skirmish -> Fights on the Dock, Conquest -> Fights on the Dock, Domination -> Fights on the Dock. Very rarely does it expand to other areas... In that regard I have to say Alpine is very diverse.

#32 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

I find some of the best matches on any maps are silent pug ones where its obvious the matchmaker magically put a dozen together who just KNOW how to play without needing to be given instructions. That usually happens during day/evening hours in N.A. Early morning hours however...when all the play happens on the Oceanic and Euro servers....uigg. If I could only play those hours, I would need to start playing below my ability again...the matchmaker always seems to use my skill as the counter balance for the morons, and then I and a couple others are left holding the ball at the end as all the lemmings marched straight into the enemy with no effort to flank, scout, etc. Just hill crest poking action. Canyons map especally turns into a WW1 trench game, except 80% of the players don't grasp to use the trenches SIDEWAYS...just stick their heads over the tops.

#33 MeanMachinE

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

Again in domination we could not get anyone to the circle in time. We could have but there was no way to defend the position or have any shelter there. Please fix the domination point a bit more to the east. Or better yet, remove the whole miserable map from the rotation :) Thanks!

#34 iNfUsi0N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:56 AM

View PostMeanMachinE, on 25 July 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Again in domination we could not get anyone to the circle in time. We could have but there was no way to defend the position or have any shelter there. Please fix the domination point a bit more to the east. Or better yet, remove the whole miserable map from the rotation Posted Image Thanks!

only cos its not the random nascar bullsh!t u got used to?
keep the map! its 1 of the very few good maps in this game. :) Thanks!

#35 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:09 AM

Add random weather (yes, with low visibility at some times) and leave this map be for some time (preferable a year), then give it another thought.

#36 JonDoeIowa

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

I assume someone from PGI is reading these, but can they please respond with their counter arguments or a discussion?

#37 iNfUsi0N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:36 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 01 August 2016 - 04:09 AM, said:

Add random weather (yes, with low visibility at some times) and leave this map be for some time (preferable a year), then give it another thought.

dont add anything and leave the map as it is. all good.

#38 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:43 AM

View PostiNfUsi0N, on 01 August 2016 - 04:36 AM, said:

dont add anything and leave the map as it is. all good.

Debatable. But yes, geometry is better left as is. Day/night and random weather still should not hurt.

#39 iNfUsi0N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:49 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 01 August 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

Debatable. But yes, geometry is better left as is. Day/night and random weather still should not hurt.

it does. i hate the dusk / dawn / whatever crap. and all the guys i play with too. alpine is a sniper map. the clear view is just great. out of the 15 maps there are 2 sniper maps. so could u guys plz stop crying about these 2 maps? in 99% u can play ur nascar bullsh!t. dont worry!

#40 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostiNfUsi0N, on 01 August 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

it does. i hate the dusk / dawn / whatever crap. and all the guys i play with too. alpine is a sniper map. the clear view is just great. out of the 15 maps there are 2 sniper maps. so could u guys plz stop crying about these 2 maps? in 99% u can play ur nascar bullsh!t. dont worry!

You accuse a DWF pilot over loving NASCAR? Ahem. No. But there should be options. Or this map will have less time selected as all those closerangers will avoid it. If they know there is a chance they won't object that much. Anyway, I'm for some diversity in way any map is played. While the camperstrike has its own attraction it is... well, gets stale really fast. So, I'm for more options. And day/night change does not affect gauss rounds or their flightpath.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users