#81 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:23 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 04 June 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

I rather look at the tourney scene as a better example of what's going on.
In the comp matches I've watched in the past week, the teams have had a relatively even mix of IS and Clan Mechs.

View PostW A R K H A N, on 04 June 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Court is adjourned!
Biased judge is suspended.

#82 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

View PostAppogee, on 04 June 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

In the comp matches I've watched in the past week, the teams have had a relatively even mix of IS and Clan Mechs.

Biased judge is suspended.

I'm not baised...I don't really even care for this thread. Not denying clan mechs don't have their respectful places in comp matches. Just pointing out a leader-board dominated by premades farming pugs isn't a good indicator of anything other than what we all already know...and that pugs vs premades is an ill-founded concept. Carry on.

#83 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 05 June 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

I'm not baised...I don't really even care for this thread. Not denying clan mechs don't have their respectful places in comp matches. Just pointing out a leader-board dominated by premades farming pugs isn't a good indicator of anything other than what we all already know...and that pugs vs premades is an ill-founded concept. Carry on.

Suspension order lifted.

#84 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

There isn't going to be a perfect metric here... we know that apart from cjf, clan pops are hurting (not sure about Wolf)... population means nothing if they don't play...

Instead of just looking at the merc player leaderboard, perhaps we should compare the factions themselves (there is a tab for this) handicap by population percentages to get a better big scale grasp...

#85 Tronword Furey

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostChaoticUrlond, on 02 June 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Lets give good reasons why Clan Mechs are a joke and most Clan Factions are a Joke as well!

I'll start Clan Mechs are a joke cause we dont have the agility to counter the IS Mechs. An IS Mech can easily be forgiven for going to the wrong place or firing to early due to their quirks. Clans not so much so if we screw up we're dead.

Clan Factions are also a joke cause "Teamwork is non existent."
"

Why do I always hear complaining from personnel with Clan Wolf tags? Must be the freebirth genes.

#86 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

View PostTronword Furey, on 05 June 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

Why do I always hear complaining from personnel with Clan Wolf tags? Must be the freebirth genes.

they suffer from Michael Stackpole syndrome where they think they are entitled to be the best cause that was the way they were written in lore...LOL

#87 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

My take on it is that it would be more dynamic and interesting if they had 1 or 2 maps that were open where speed and mobility counted for more. Maybe a polar highlands style map that took advantage of the high mobility offered by clan mechs and range advantage. It certainly would be more interesting than funneling people into kill boxes all the time. Make flanking a more internal part of the game and I think that would increase satisfaction in cw and allow for more variety then smile meta

#88 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 19 July 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

My take on it is that it would be more dynamic and interesting if they had 1 or 2 maps that were open where speed and mobility counted for more. Maybe a polar highlands style map that took advantage of the high mobility offered by clan mechs and range advantage. It certainly would be more interesting than funneling people into kill boxes all the time. Make flanking a more internal part of the game and I think that would increase satisfaction in cw and allow for more variety then smile meta

From an FP perspective grim portico and boreal both favor clans by being cold. Grim favors speed because the gates are roughly equidistant so it favors speed to get to the chokepoint(or through it) before the other team. Boreal favors range which clans have, and they have many viable ecm options as well.

Emerald taiga also favors speed in certain modes.

#89 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 19 July 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

From an FP perspective grim portico and boreal both favor clans by being cold. Grim favors speed because the gates are roughly equidistant so it favors speed to get to the chokepoint(or through it) before the other team. Boreal favors range which clans have, and they have many viable ecm options as well.

Emerald taiga also favors speed in certain modes.

Yeah you can definetly make that case for sure. I guess I am thinking about a new map that has open topical features and very minimal choke points to move through at all. Where good coordination and rapid deployment and flanking forces are necessary. Just a wish list type item I guess. Anything to break up hellbore springs style cw fights. I mean not everyone builds bases in box canyons haha

#90 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

If I remember correctly, PGI staff have said they don't like the way the Clans were "made" in previous games or in the fiction and they they would "even things out". Frankly, I enjoy playing in Clan tech, mediums specifically. I also love my Hunchie 4G (not in the creepy way, mind you)

#91 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:48 AM

Incase you have not noticed this game takes a skilled pilot to be good. IS and clan is merely a preference friends.

#92 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

If you get steam rolled by a bunch of inner sphere Mechs in faction war because they are extremely well organized unit do not be dismayed. Team work wins games and unit synchronization.

#93 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

Lights: Arctic Cheater/Jenner IIC
Medium: Stormcrow
Heavy: Timberwolf
Assault: Kodiak

Clans have the dominant mechs in each class. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Edited by SmithMPBT, 19 August 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#94 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 19 August 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Clans have the dominant mechs in each class. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

You are also forgetting that the people piloting those are all in the elite Merc units. The average player, even when using things like the Kodiak, doesn't score anywhere near that high. There is a reason Jade Falcon has been the only successful Clan since Phase 3 started, and that was because all the Clan mechs took major nerfs. One more thing, don't be stupid. For every Meta-viable Clan mech, IS has 2-3 Meta-viable mechs of the same weight class. The only exception is Light mechs, but up until the Rescale they were the same.

Edited by Requiemking, 08 September 2016 - 05:58 AM.

#95 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:07 AM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 19 August 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Most people (at least in bear) run EBJ over timber as it's nearly as sturdy handles heat better and almost the same lot space and speed, unless there is a need for jump jets. KDK3, not the Kodiak line is the top assault (please for the love of God the rest of the chassis doesn't need more nerfs.) ACH is too right now but I blame the rescale for that, prior to the change it was solid but no where near first. As for medium crows and novas are solid but rarely used as people shift tonnage to take another heavier mech and found out with cheetahs. They aren't a solid choice for most people (there are some rare exceptions.)

In short the mechs you list aren't bad but saying that a stream crow (what did well in the tournament because it gets big numbers) is good for regular faction play except for a single anti light platform is unrealistic.

#96 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 08 September 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

You are also forgetting that the people piloting those are all in the elite Merc units. The average player, even when using things like the Kodiak, doesn't score anywhere near that high. There is a reason Jade Falcon has been the only successful Clan since Phase 3 started, and that was because all the Clan mechs took major nerfs. One more thing, don't be stupid. For every Meta-viable Clan mech, IS has 2-3 Meta-viable mechs of the same weight class. The only exception is Light mechs, but up until the Rescale they were the same.

Mercs have an interesting perspective on this vs loyalists, if we were to look at FP particularly. I won't state I'm a "top tier" FP pilot by any stretch, but I can pull my weight (my gauge is: Kill more than you die and ~1200dmg) on a regular basis. I have found this possible REGARDLESS OF THE TECH I DROP IN.

Granted, every time we switch, it takes me a few games to get my head right about *how* to play to the strengths of that tech. The fact is you simply can't play IS like Clan or play Clan like IS. They have different strengths and weaknesses and you *have* to leverage that because, unlike QP, your opponent knows *exactly* what kind of tech they'll be facing and can plan for it.

Also, LRMs. I see many clan players lean on these b/c they fear their mechs are too fragile for face time, in FP this can potentially undermine your team if there is ZERO coordination and half the team is hanging back begging for locks. Does this happen on IS side too? Absolutely, but my personal observation (not necessarily fact) is that Clans tend to favor teh lurmz. If you are not dropping in a team, the reality is you have to bring builds that will serve you well regardless of what your teammates are doing...

The guys that really succeed in FP, regardless of faction or tech, are the ones that put the time in to their builds, drop in the same mechs relentlessly until they feel like an extension of themselves.

As a merc, you get to hear both sides complain about the other being OP, but I assert that its the pilots that make the mechs/techs succeed or fail.

Edited by MovinTarget, 08 September 2016 - 06:25 AM.

#97 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

View PostBaulven, on 08 September 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

Most people (at least in bear) run EBJ over timber as it's nearly as sturdy handles heat better and almost the same lot space and speed, unless there is a need for jump jets. KDK3, not the Kodiak line is the top assault (please for the love of God the rest of the chassis doesn't need more nerfs.) ACH is too right now but I blame the rescale for that, prior to the change it was solid but no where near first. As for medium crows and novas are solid but rarely used as people shift tonnage to take another heavier mech and found out with cheetahs. They aren't a solid choice for most people (there are some rare exceptions.)

In short the mechs you list aren't bad but saying that a stream crow (what did well in the tournament because it gets big numbers) is good for regular faction play except for a single anti light platform is unrealistic.

I'd take a Sadcat over a S***Crow any day.

#98 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

LOL I just noticed that the OP of this thread is the same as another recently hotly debated thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...to-an-fp-match/

But he was Davion back then...

#99 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

He was Wolf when he made that thread. I know this for a fact because I am in his unit. We started off as a wolf Loyalist unit, but a combination of constant defeat + rather rude pugs drove us to be merc.

#100 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

Was the article a joke? I make 3 points to prove that similar tonned clan mechs are at least equal to IS mechs.

1. Clan XL engines.

2. Clan large pulse laser.

3. Clan Ultra AC 10.

Nuff said *drops the mic*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users