188 replies to this topic

#141 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:04 PM

Keep fighting Commander, we need opponents.

#142 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

What is this "Faction Warfare" you speak of?

(I just lurk in the AFK channel waiting for the inevitable server wide invitations for a FW group to decide if the spirit moves me to suffer MWO at that particular moment...Have not heard a ping in days...)

But, it's not all bad. Frees up time for Overwatch, Heroes, Warthunder, Warships, WOW, D3, SC2, ESO, and DDO. One less choice for what to do with my evenings and weekends.

#143 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:04 AM

This thread has me depressed.

#144 MahKraah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaffel Dierondistrict

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

as for discussing population:
the kurita loyalist pilot ranking has 1693 entrys
thats 1 medium populated faction out of 10
mercs ranking lists 12560 names
freelancers 2256

#145 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostMonodominant, on 07 June 2016 - 03:38 AM, said:

Not if you read the whole post.

A one man unit or even a 10 man unit wont gain planets regardless of if MS is there or not. You need a much much bigger group to drop enough and drop consistently to do so. So the single player could claim that ANY unit, no matter how big is the issue.

Only if that single player enters the one part of the game that is made primarily FOR Unit and Team play.

#146 SteamCharts Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostMahKraah, on 12 June 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

as for discussing population:
the kurita loyalist pilot ranking has 1693 entrys
thats 1 medium populated faction out of 10
mercs ranking lists 12560 names
freelancers 2256

Thanks for setting the record straight!

#147 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

I've found that we are at a crossroads.

As much as people hate large units for their ability to consistently drop and win...the big teams aren't going away.

If they do, CW would lose a huge chunk of its player base and truly cease to exist.

The big teams are here to stay. So it's time to learn how to play with the big teams.

#148 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

and what will it solve? does it matter if there is a 500 man unit in the FRR or of there are 50 10 man units on the same side?

What matters is their coordination and teamplay, and that won't hange just because you take away their little common TAG.

#149 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

oh what surprise, -MS- achieved something.
they bored themselves away from the game.

after all they done to push this game the direction they wanted to it to be and all the trolls towards PGI....
yeah, im not surprised alot of players from -MS- are bored now.
who could have thought that stuff can backfire...

i got the solution for you -MS- guys. split up, make the map interesting for yourself instead of just go full leroy against terra everytime you decide to put up a new "powerhouse" and nothing could stop ya because of your unit's size.

man up and get yourself your fun back. its your own fault that it got boring. not many wanted to fight you anymore, neither was it fun for pugs.

the key for FW to be a success is NOT to stomp every pug playing it.

#150 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostAlienized, on 15 June 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

oh what surprise, -MS- achieved something.
they bored themselves away from the game.

after all they done to push this game the direction they wanted to it to be and all the trolls towards PGI....
yeah, im not surprised alot of players from -MS- are bored now.
who could have thought that stuff can backfire...

i got the solution for you -MS- guys. split up, make the map interesting for yourself instead of just go full leroy against terra everytime you decide to put up a new "powerhouse" and nothing could stop ya because of your unit's size.

man up and get yourself your fun back. its your own fault that it got boring. not many wanted to fight you anymore, neither was it fun for pugs.

the key for FW to be a success is NOT to stomp every pug playing it.

So.... the best way to play the game mode. Is not to win in it.

Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

#151 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostSader325, on 15 June 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

So.... the best way to play the game mode. Is not to win in it.

Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

oh i didnt say that, did i?
it is to win without demoralizing alot of players.
you might lose sometimes if the pugs are better than expected. but hey, then they deserve it right?
wheres the problem for you? ahem.... i think you can afford the loss anyway.
its all about fun eh?

i enjoy a good fight. no matter if its a win or loss.

alot of you dont seem to do that.

#152 Paitr aConn

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostAlienized, on 15 June 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

you might lose sometimes if the pugs are better than expected. but hey, then they deserve it right?
its all about fun eh?

The issue is, Mercs like MS have far too much power to swing the balance and so smash any ability of other factions to go against them. they win by sheer weight of numbers. Mercs should not be allowed to have that much influence over the state of cw.

#153 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostStone Davion, on 15 June 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

The issue is, Mercs like MS have far too much power to swing the balance and so smash any ability of other factions to go against them. they win by sheer weight of numbers. Mercs should not be allowed to have that much influence over the state of cw.

a wise man said: you can do/like something or not but you dont have to be a d*ck.

i agree with you, the huge mercs have too much of it. especially if they only think about winning and stomping or put the biggest mark on the map. this is what ruined FW.

the excuse that *pgi allowed it* is just not a good sign for this community overall.

#154 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

View PostAlienized, on 15 June 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

its all about fun eh?

Once again you're asking players not to win.

If a game mode can only survive as long as a group is willing not to win, that is a poorly designed game mode.

Why would you think this is even a legitimate line of reasoning?

How many times have you ever fought a Mercstar 24 man? 36 man? 48 man? 60 man?

Oh wait... never? That's right. You only ever fight 12 mercstar pilots maximum, thats it twelve people.

Our numbers mean that we field multiple 12 man teams. You never fight more or less of us, our numbers advantage means nothing in the context of the game.

The problem here is you can't beat our groups of 12 organized players, and for some reason you think you should.

We organize, train, and deploy dozens of players coordinating and working together to win our matches, and you have the audacity to believe that without also dedicating the time and effort we do that you should be allowed to beat us?

You don't deserve to win, if you aren't willing to work as hard as we do to deploy competent players.

#155 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

You know what would be amazing right about now? If, like, units had territory of their own so that matchmaking would be player decided. (Don't fight -MS- territory if you don't want to fight -MS-) Or, or.. a bunch of the little units could band together and attack -MS- on multiple fronts... taking down that big bad mean old alliance, with an Alliance.

If only, right?

(-MS- didn't kill FW, it was stillborn.)

#156 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

they win by sheer weight of numbers.

You act like -MS- is the largest unit in the game, they are NOT. Winning or Losing in FW (or any mode for that matter) has NOTHING to do with the 'number' of players (every game is either 12vs12 or 4vs4), Winning or Losing in FW is determined by the team that is better at focus fire....that is IT.

Focus Fire is the ONLY thing that matters (some will say: mech load outs, but mech load outs don't mean sh!at if 12 people in meta mechs are shooting at 12 different targets while the other team has 12 mechs shooting at ONE target). So please, stop with the 'they win because there is more of them' bull sh!@t. [-MS-] wins because the play the game AS A TEAM, 'numbers' has NOTHING to do with it.

#157 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

-MS- had no control over how this game was made.

If anything, the more numerous unaffiliated solo players who screamed at Russ on Twitter and threatened to not buy mechpacks had more influence over this game than we did.

#158 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

The most unforgivable thing big units did was set out to win the game using the mechanics provided - on purpose.

So many people play by showing up, bumbling around and winning by accident that someone actually trying to win is suspiciously like bullying to them.

Clearly anyone who would try to win is cheating and abusing game mechanics because moral, respectable players have no real plan, clue or idea how to win. They show up and click on Doritos and if they happen to win it is by the grace of outrageous fortune.

All this "coordinating", "communicating", "trying to win on purpose" business is clearly just something mean players do to ruin their fun.

#159 Daidachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 461 posts
  • LocationThe Andromeda Initiative

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 June 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

The most unforgivable thing big units did was set out to win the game using the mechanics provided - on purpose.

So many people play by showing up, bumbling around and winning by accident that someone actually trying to win is suspiciously like bullying to them.

Clearly anyone who would try to win is cheating and abusing game mechanics because moral, respectable players have no real plan, clue or idea how to win. They show up and click on Doritos and if they happen to win it is by the grace of outrageous fortune.

All this "coordinating", "communicating", "trying to win on purpose" business is clearly just something mean players do to ruin their fun.

QFT.

I get that bashing on mercstar is trendy, but players in units -want- good fights. It's why there's the guide for new players stickied on the forums by kin3ticx. It's why people like FBJ will stream and explain things they do. The tools for players to improve are there, even though pgi has largely seen fit to ignore the efforts of the community to put that information in an easy to locate source for new players.

But screw throwing fights on purpose by gimping yourself. That effectively rewards the other team for not using all the tools of the game mode.

Now if you had a handicap option where you could voluntarily take 8 players in rather than 12, against an enemy team of 12 (with the tradeoff being increased rewards for the 8 man team), then you might get some bites.

#160 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 June 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

Simply do not have enough likes.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users