The Main Two Reasons Why I Will Not Invest Money In The Game.

125 replies to this topic

#1 Erufen

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

No, this is not really a rant. I will be as constructive as the subject allows.

First of all, the sillynes of the Credit income.

I understand better than I let on what a F2P game is. I do. I REALLY REALLY do. On Warframe, I have over 2,000 hours and I've spent maybe $50 during my time in the game. On Warframe, I have just about everything there is to have. The things I'm missing are very few, and so rare, they are almost impossible to get (Or not available due being founders items, which I'm not).

Anyone familiar with the game will know that to get to where I am, you'd need to spend quite a bit more than $50, or invest a LOT of time. Guess which I went for?

The thing about Warframe is that, although the grind is just as intense as it is in MWO, at least you can get things you weren't particularly looking for. The gameplay is the same, the enemies are the same, the maps are mostly the same, yet the rewards can be exactly what you needed, or a pleasant surprise. Also, they can be complete crap, and you get rock after rock after rock.

In MWO, you can dedicate your entire weekend and be nowhere near to where you want to be. Some of us don't have the time during the week to grind, and that's nobody's fault.
Some of us don't have the luxury of having disposable income to throw around on instant gratification unlocks on vidya. And again, that is nobody's fault.

The main problem comes with the amount that is paid out per mission, versus how much each mech costs to purchase, and then customize.

And honestly, starting small and going large is not an alternative, since the payout is marginally better. I am pulling around the same amount on a loss or a win (Marauder), regardless if the mech is big or small (I thought I had screenies of my KGC-000 and my JR7-IIC, but the point stands).

The alternative is, of course, to pay for premium. And I would. I really would. If it weren't for the fact that premium starts running the second you log in, and never stops till it runs out.
So, for someone like me, spending $11.50 for premium and only really get to use it 2 or 3 days a month is absolutely not worth it.

So then comes the alternative: Buy mechs with MC. And suddenly, the premise of paying up to $40 for ONE mech seems ludicrous.

So, don't buy MC mechs, buy packages. I don't want 5 variats of one mech, I rather have 5 different mechs, but there are no packages like that. A la carte isn't any better, for the benefit of it is not entirely atractive.

Again, I understand the game needs a money influx to survive. But honestly, the player base is not that big, and trying to force every player to either pay or suffer the grind is unappealing to a lot of people. Out of my circle of friends, only 3 of us play the game. The others who have tried it got bored of the grind and refused to pay money for a game that is, in all honestly, overpriced.

My second gripe with the game is how it disables FN keys' functions. This is a minor thing, but by god it bugs the hell out of me. I like to listen to music as I play games. Sometimes, playing to the tune of "Let the bodies hit the floor" is just right. However, playing to the tune of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" is less than right.

Sometimes, I may need to turn the volume of my system up or down. Can't do it. Sometimes I want to use Ctrl+F9 to start my screencap software, and I can't. I had to remap it to "Q+P" because the game simply takes over all of the function keys, for no reason.

And that's pretty much it. I will not spend money on the game for as long as it tries to force me to, by making the alternative as unattractive as it is. Granted, I may not spend $400+ in bundles and stuff, but I might spend enough in cosmetics and mech bays, instead of recycling bays when I get bored of the same old 7 mechs.

Edited by Erufen, 11 June 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

OP,

I'm sorry, I admit I am a wee bit intoxicated, but I read that twice and I still couldn't follow it.

No worries though, as negative as I have been on PGI of late, I still spend enough on the game (I actually like the game for the most part) to cover us both (I got that much: you don't want to spend $ on the game). So you're good. But could you go over your complaint about "credit income" again, cuz I am just not getting what the issue is. The "grind" IS the the game. Is that the complaint?

#3 Delta 62

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 11 June 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Posted Image

#4 Erufen

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 11 June 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

OP,

I'm sorry, I admit I am a wee bit intoxicated, but I read that twice and I still couldn't follow it.

No worries though, as negative as I have been on PGI of late, I still spend enough on the game (I actually like the game for the most part) to cover us both (I got that much: you don't want to spend $ on the game). So you're good. But could you go over your complaint about "credit income" again, cuz I am just not getting what the issue is. The "grind" IS the the game. Is that the complaint?

Not quite. Say for example I want to purchase a new mech and outfit it. The cost of it will be 8,000,000 credits. To raise said amount, at an average of 150,000 credits per match, you'd need roughly 54 matches.

Each match takes about 8 minutes. So that means that, to raise 8,000,000 credits, you'd need to invest 432 minutes, or about 7 hours.

The grind time is too high.

#5 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Bwahaha! WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO!? If this game didn't have the grind... There would be no reason to play..

An old goat like me has no grind left to do. 200 mechs, an endless arsenal and plenty of banked MC and PT. The only thing left in this game for me is to run bad builds and not suck... Be thankful you still have something to do...

#6 Erufen

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PostDjPush, on 11 June 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Bwahaha! WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO!? If this game didn't have the grind... There would be no reason to play..

An old goat like me has no grind left to do. 200 mechs, an endless arsenal and plenty of banked MC and PT. The only thing left in this game for me is to run bad builds and not suck... Be thankful you still have something to do...

You went ahead and went to the extreme. I didn't say nor imply that at all. Good on you though.

#7 Delta 62

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

You just have to be really wise with the choices you make when buying mechs. I spent just enough real money to buy a money making mech. I always play my Heavy Metal when Im trying to make Cbills, especially when I end up with premium time from an event or giveaway. 300-600 thousand cbills on average for a win with premium time and the 30% bonus from a hero mech.

So... make sure you make wise choices, and get the right tools for grinding away at cbill earning.

Posted Image

Edited by Dillion Harper, 11 June 2016 - 08:45 PM.

#8 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

View PostDillion Harper, on 11 June 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

If she was grabbing a potato it would remind me of dropping with Pugs.

#9 Erufen

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

View PostDillion Harper, on 11 June 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

You just have to be really wise with the choices you make when buying mechs. I spent just enough real money to buy a money making mech. I always play my Heavy Metal when Im trying to make Cbills, especially when I end up with premium time from an event or giveaway. 300-600 thousand cbills on average for a win with premium time and the 30% bonus from a hero mech.

So... make sure you make wise choices, and get the right tools for grinding away at cbill earning.

Posted Image

I have a centurion I can make Cbills with, due the 30% bonus. The problem starts with the premium time. Like i said, buying it and only being able to play maybe 3 days a month is hardly worth it.

Im not saying the entire system needs to be taken down, but a happy in between for us filthy casuals wouldn't hurt either.

#10 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostErufen, on 11 June 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

" You went ahead and went to the extreme. I didn't say nor imply that at all. Good on you though."

You did Thought

"In MWO, you can dedicate your entire weekendand be nowhere near to where you want to be. Some of us don't have the time during the week to grind, and that's nobody's fault.
Some of us don't have the luxury of having disposable income to throw around on instant gratification unlocks on vidya. And again, that is nobody's fault.

The main problem comes with the amount that is paid out per mission, versus how much each mech costs to purchase, and then customize."

Edited by DjPush, 11 June 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#11 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PostErufen, on 11 June 2016 - 08:01 PM, said:

No, this is not really a rant. I will be as constructive as the subject allows.

First of all, the sillynes of the Credit income.

I understand better than I let on what a F2P game is. I do. I REALLY REALLY do. On Warframe, I have over 2,000 hours and I've spent maybe $50 during my time in the game. On Warframe, I have just about everything there is to have. The things I'm missing are very few, and so rare, they are almost impossible to get (Or not available due being founders items, which I'm not).

Anyone familiar with the game will know that to get to where I am, you'd need to spend quite a bit more than $50, or invest a LOT of time. Guess which I went for?

The thing about Warframe is that, although the grind is just as intense as it is in MWO, at least you can get things you weren't particularly looking for. The gameplay is the same, the enemies are the same, the maps are mostly the same, yet the rewards can be exactly what you needed, or a pleasant surprise. Also, they can be complete crap, and you get rock after rock after rock.

In MWO, you can dedicate your entire weekend and be nowhere near to where you want to be. Some of us don't have the time during the week to grind, and that's nobody's fault.

The main problem comes with the amount that is paid out per mission, versus how much each mech costs to purchase, and then customize.

And honestly, starting small and going large is not an alternative, since the payout is marginally better. I am pulling around the same amount on a loss or a win (Marauder), regardless if the mech is big or small (I thought I had screenies of my KGC-000 and my JR7-IIC, but the point stands).

The alternative is, of course, to pay for premium. And I would. I really would. If it weren't for the fact that premium starts running the second you log in, and never stops till it runs out.
So, for someone like me, spending $11.50 for premium and only really get to use it 2 or 3 days a month is absolutely not worth it.

So then comes the alternative: Buy mechs with MC. And suddenly, the premise of paying up to $40 for ONE mech seems ludicrous.

So, don't buy MC mechs, buy packages. I don't want 5 variats of one mech, I rather have 5 different mechs, but there are no packages like that. A la carte isn't any better, for the benefit of it is not entirely atractive.

Again, I understand the game needs a money influx to survive. But honestly, the player base is not that big, and trying to force every player to either pay or suffer the grind is unappealing to a lot of people. Out of my circle of friends, only 3 of us play the game. The others who have tried it got bored of the grind and refused to pay money for a game that is, in all honestly, overpriced.

My second gripe with the game is how it disables FN keys' functions. This is a minor thing, but by god it bugs the hell out of me. I like to listen to music as I play games. Sometimes, playing to the tune of "Let the bodies hit the floor" is just right. However, playing to the tune of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" is less than right.

Sometimes, I may need to turn the volume of my system up or down. Can't do it. Sometimes I want to use Ctrl+F9 to start my screencap software, and I can't. I had to remap it to "Q+P" because the game simply takes over all of the function keys, for no reason.

And that's pretty much it. I will not spend money on the game for as long as it tries to force me to, by making the alternative as unattractive as it is. Granted, I may not spend $400+ in bundles and stuff, but I might spend enough in cosmetics and mech bays, instead of recycling bays when I get bored of the same old 7 mechs.

If you miss on the "spending cash" for ingame content.... you miss on 100% of the game intent lol! If you cant find reasons to spend cash, people like me and DJPush, who already spend loads of cash and own tons of mechs, are going to keep making "the game is dead" thread. Not that me or him make those thread but it still is, dead.

The economy made sense 4 years ago, when there was 30 battlemech to own, now that there is 400 an adjustment is in order. But dont worry, people like me who owns heroes and (P) (S) (L) mech can play the game just fine and **** on people trying to make it in. I remember the days we had a matchmaker that semi-worked, now it's as dead the player base.

#12 Erufen

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostDjPush, on 11 June 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

You did Thought

"In MWO, you can dedicate your entire weekendand be nowhere near to where you want to be. Some of us don't have the time during the week to grind, and that's nobody's fault.

The main problem comes with the amount that is paid out per mission, versus how much each mech costs to purchase, and then customize."

I guess I don't see where that implies "get rid of the grind" but ok.

View PostDAYLEET, on 11 June 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

If you miss on the "spending cash" for ingame content.... you miss on 100% of the game intent lol! If you cant find reasons to spend cash, people like me and DJPush, who already spend loads of cash and own tons of mechs, are going to keep making "the game is dead" thread. Not that me or him make those thread but it still is, dead.

The economy made sense 4 years ago, when there was 30 battlemech to own, now that there is 400 an adjustment is in order. But dont worry, people like me who owns heroes and (P) (S) (L) mech can play the game just fine and **** on people trying to make it in. I remember the days we had a matchmaker that semi-worked, now it's as dead the player base.

Sorry, I don't follow.

#13 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

I buy mech packs..
You can get 3 mechs, including a hero, and 30 days premium for $20.
It's a good deal, and it supports the game.

But honestly, I don't think you even need premium, it's only a 40% bonus, which is substantial but it's not going to to make it a major grind...

I mean, if you consider the average match is only 10 minutes, you can rack up chills incredibly fast if you play good.

I have been playing steadily for 6 months, I've bought 5 or 6 mech packs, and I own about 63 mechs total.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 11 June 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#14 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:43 PM

I actually got my first thirty mechs or so without putting any money into the game. I did a whirlwind tour of the 'Sphere, netting eight mechbays in just seven days at one point, just to expand faster'n I got mechs. I sold mechs to make room for more mechs. I was, Free to Play. And then, one Mechbay sale I sat back and said, "Huh, I've not paid a dime for a video game in six months."

At that point I said screw it and threw a buncha money at the company, buying a few early mechpacks an a slew of 'bays. (Haven't sold a mech since.)

The only time it felt like a grind was trying to get my third shadowhawk. Even my third Blackhawk just happened to happen whilest playing CW. I feel like the rewards system nets me cbill enough to purchase a new mech by the time I've mastered my old ones, in all honesty, which, actually feels pretty perfect to me.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 June 2016 - 10:43 PM.

#15 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:48 PM

View PostErufen, on 11 June 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

Not quite. Say for example I want to purchase a new mech and outfit it. The cost of it will be 8,000,000 credits. To raise said amount, at an average of 150,000 credits per match, you'd need roughly 54 matches.

Each match takes about 8 minutes. So that means that, to raise 8,000,000 credits, you'd need to invest 432 minutes, or about 7 hours.

The grind time is too high.

Pay Cash or pay with time

You cant have your cake and eat it too here, sorry.

Edited by Revis Volek, 11 June 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#16 Erufen

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:02 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 11 June 2016 - 10:48 PM, said:

Pay Cash or pay with time

You cant have your cake and eat it too here, sorry.

You are implying I want there to be no grind. Please re-read the OP. I said nothing like that.

#17 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:04 PM

Mastery Packs are pretty decent value, all things considered.

I agree the general grind is fairly poor. Even Premium Time isn't enough of an accelerator. Should have been bumped +100% when they nerfed the CBill earnings and XP.

BTW: Steam Packs include a combinations of chassis, not just variants. I think they are worse value though because you need 3 variants to Elite any Mech.

Edited by Appogee, 11 June 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#18 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

I won't shell out more money anymore either. Why? Simply because I feel the game is at a kind of standstill.

There is no long term motivation like pvp campaigns or realm vs realm warfare (sorry, CW is horrible in many ways).
Actually it is a shame because the core of the game is a lot of fun. Nevertheless I see myself playing infrequently and the off-times getting longer and longer.

#19 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:17 PM

View PostDjPush, on 11 June 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Wow, silly me for thinking a game being fun was reason enough to play.

Why don't you just go play some Nexon games if what you want is endless grind?

I can't even begin to describe how pathetic that attitude is unless I want a forum vacation.

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

1. Yes the prices are ridiculous. About the only MC price that seems reasonable is for mechbay.

2. The grind would be way better if this stupid "buy three to elite one" skill tree system was removed. It is a beyond stupid system.

Edited by El Bandito, 12 June 2016 - 05:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users