Does This Community Really Want An Energy Draw Feature?

819 replies to this topic

#121 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 14 June 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

I assume its server side because the end of round screen shows the damage, but the mechs in match don't. I'm not sure how it works only that it is used fairly often. The absolute worste I have seen ever was just the other day.

You can't run a cheat server side, only client side.

This means you can have information (see: wallhacks, target info, aiming), but because damage and position are wholly server side, you can't cheat either. You can only cheat what your client controls. The server side authentication we have is annoying for many, many things, but this one thing it's very good for.

Besides, wonky hit registration is a problem and has been a problem literally for the entire history of MWO. If you're shooting someone, clearly hitting them, and they are not taking damage you should be providing that video to PGI so they can troubleshoot what's going on.

#122 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 13 June 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

all the while I haven't heard a single positive thing about the incoming power draw mechanic from any player.. only negative.

I think it's a great idea.

So there, now you've heard a player - and an experienced one - who thinks Ghost Heat is a terrible kludgy balancing mechanic, and that Power Draw has the potential* to be much better.

* As you say, we don't know enough about it to be certain. But conceptually it holds promise.

#123 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 14 June 2016 - 02:52 AM, said:

I wish they'd just, at least, attempted to use the existing TT heatscale penalties.

The #1 thing I hear people ***** about, on the subject of meta-alphawarriors, is that they corner peek, alpha and then pull back. TT heatscale gives massive movement penalties to hot mechs, so they'd corner peek, alpha and then be so hot they'd creep back so slowly they'd get shot multiple times.

The whole reason people are even able to alpha and keep moving is because PGI never considered implementing TT heat penalties.. and the heat cap is way too high.. and heatsinks shouldn't raise the cap.
Yeah, I said this earlier too.

I agree fixing the overall heat system first would be a better way to go; hacking the heatcap in half (going to the TT level of 30) and increasing dissipation would be a much better way to go. After all, with a heatcap of 30, 4-6 PPC Stalkers certainly aren't a fear =)

Not to mention scaling heat penalties etc.

didn't like ghost heat; I think it's a terrible idea and I think power draw will be another terrible idea. I just want to play a FPS Battletech game like MW4 but with better graphics. I feel this hairbrained invention takes us further away from Battletech for no reason other than PGI's assumed hatred for Battletech rules and their combination of pride and arrogance that they assume they have all the answers and don't need any community input.

Except this brings resultant behavior closer to how Battletech works than we currently have. So clearly, it's not "PGI's assumed hatred for Battletech rules"

Seriously, dude, when Koniving agrees it's lore friendly, the argument is over.

#124 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

Anything's gotta be better than ghost heat

#125 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostAppogee, on 14 June 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

I think it's a great idea.

So there, now you've heard a player - and an experienced one - who thinks Ghost Heat is a terrible kludgy balancing mechanic, and that Power Draw has the potential* to be much better.

* As you say, we don't know enough about it to be certain. But conceptually it holds promise.

See? Even angry-grouchy players!

Ghost heat is horrible, so replacing it with a new version is a worthwhile endeavor.

From a lore perspective: Ghost heat is also stupid and not lore friendly. You can make arguments for it - but you can with the power draw deal too.

From a game mechanics perspective: The reasonable worst case scenario is that Power Draw is fundamentally identical to Ghost Heat, and we end up with another, slightly different, exploitable garbage system; that it's just Ghost Heat Version 2.

So, really, from either perspective we're no worse off than we are now. But this has the potential to be better; if nothing else simpler, to make learning the game easier for new players - people who suffer badly from Ghost Heat v1's incomprehensible unexplained rules.

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 14 June 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

Anything's gotta be better than ghost heat

#126 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

Hey OP, i'm not opposed to anything that potentially could improve gameplay, at-least PGI are trying something.
Anything to get away from the one weapon group one weapon type big alpha mentality that IS eze mode.
Limiting alpha size should open up diversity without being at a serious disadvantage making the game a lot more interesting.

#127 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

Guess I am one of the anti meta whiners.......

Well I do hate meta. In every game. However in most games I does not bother me as much as MWO because the meta does not over simplify the playing experience.

I am sorry but one button builds are boring. That is what I hate. It has nothing to do with a lack of skill or a failure to understand the mechanics of the game.

I have far to many mechs but the ones that stand out for me that illustrate my point best are a pair of thunderbolts. One has 3 large pulse. The other has a large laser, LRM15, LRM 5, 3 medium lasers and two machine guns. I can put up solid numbers with both. Definately better with the one button build. However it takes FAR less skill to do better in the one button build.

Then again I am a no skill meta hater so what do I know.

*edit* So yes bring on power draw.....bring on any system that forces people to use more than one weapon group.

Edited by Cementi, 14 June 2016 - 07:38 AM.

#128 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

I wonder if this mechanic will completely replace heat or if it will be put on top of the current mechanic. I'm hoping it's the latter as that would make more sense and likely be easier to balance.

If I were to guess, and I am, I'd say that what we'll get is a system where your mech generates power, how much depends on the mech and the engine and possibly energy generation quirks.
You get a new bar that fills up with electrical energy over time, faster for larger mechs and larger engines.
Every weapon draws from this power reserve and when it runs out, well you can't shoot any more until it's filled up a bit.
The difference between this and heat could be that weapons draw power even when not used so that the more weapons you have mounted, the slower the energy bar get refilled and possibly it won't even fill completely if you have many weapons.
So the new thing is that you will have to balance alpha against how often you can shoot.

#129 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,663 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 13 June 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

Think about it, you can turn Weapon Groups into the equivalent to Boxing combinations as well.

Its comments like this that worry me a lot.

#130 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:41 AM

Well, instead of prejudice against the new system I say we have to test it for ourself before any conclusion should be drawn.

Oh and I dont think sceptics have to worry about the power draw being ditched if its just tested after a measly week.
There might be enough elitist, competive (the bad ones) players of the same kind banding together to murder an otherwise promising feature with no chance for further testing.

The same ones that made sure the info/ role warfare got frozen, just becasue of a single faulty feature called laser "lock-on".
PGI got cold feet and killswitched the whole thing, even those features that could have made this game even more satisfying, interesting and diverse! They just didnt dare to upset the core meta heads or gods know if any death threats would be sent their way.

#131 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

View PostTordin, on 14 June 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

Well, instead of prejudice against the new system I say we have to test it for ourself before any conclusion should be drawn.
I for one think it will be fun with some new mechanics. Lower alphas will hopefully lead to lower ttk and better matches over all.

View PostTordin, on 14 June 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

Oh and I dont think sceptics have to worry about the power draw being ditched if its just tested after a measly week.
There might be enough elitist, competive (the bad ones) players of the same kind banding together to murder an otherwise promising feature with no chance for further testing.

The same ones that made sure the info/ role warfare got frozen, just becasue of a single faulty feature called laser "lock-on".
PGI got cold feet and killswitched the whole thing, even those features that could have made this game even more satisfying, interesting and diverse! They just didnt dare to upset the core meta heads or gods know if any death threats would be sent their way.
I wondered what happened to the "information warfare" during my hiatus... and I thought it was pretty good as it was and was looking forward to it becoming even more so :(

#132 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

Based on past experience, PGI's attempts to balance using "new" game mechanics like ghost heat and the gauss charge-up mechanism have been poorly described and poorly implemented. IMHO those mechanics have reduced the fun factor of the game without really solving the problems they were intended to address.

Given that history I'm very skeptical of the proposed "power draw" system. Given that we no nothing about it's implementation, though, well, maybe they'll do it well.

#133 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 13 June 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Yes alpha laser noob warrior online has gotten stupid.
Hopefully PGI can fix stupid

"Alpha laser noob warrior online" is actually better in my opinion than ...

"Poptart onlline" - jump jet nerf
"6 PPC online" - ghost heat
"Mega gauss online" - gauss charge up
"LRMageddon online" - various tweaks though the worst was hot fixed by correcting the trajectory change they made without sufficient testing (as if they couldn't realize that missiles which virtually drop straight down on their target would negate any cover - as well as properly implementing the targeting so they didn't prefer the CT).
"PPFLD online" - decouple the time of flight for various PPFLD weapons to minimize the ability to do large coordinated damage to one component

... and so on.

There was a time when folks who used lasers were looked down upon.

Balance in MWO is a moving target and there will ALWAYS be some combination of weapons or builds that some fraction (possibly large) of the community think is best even if the difference is only 1%. The goal is to reduce the advantage of the "meta" so that other builds can be similarly effective (at least situationally) without giving a pronounced advantage to whatever the new "best" combination becomes.

Of all the imbalances I have listed above ... the laser vomit is probably the closest to being balanced but it does need some small tweaks so that other options and possibly mixed builds are slightly more effective than they are currently (or lasers slightly less effective ... since a slightly longer TTK would be desirable in my opinion).

P.S. On the topic of TTK ... it isn't that bad currently ... one to one duels take a while to resolve while four to one means you die very quickly ... which is exactly how it should be. You should not be able to tank four opponents for any long period of time ... but a slight increase in durability on the order of 10% to 25% might be justifiable and desirable.

#134 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 13 June 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Several well known players have been selling the idea of energy draw in one form or another. It has been a widely discussed topic.. ..it will deal with boating and TTK in a much more efficient and better way than 'ghost heat'.

I think its goofy, but I think it might actually do something, like you said.

I guess, since it is coming, time to just see what it is all about and give it a go. As if we will have a choice haha.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 14 June 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#135 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

LOL energy draw is just an other name for ghost heat, it will be same but affects the actual engine, going slower till it shuts down. I just think it will be worse than what we already have.

seriously i prefer dealing with ghost heat ( I don't play meta builds ) then a less efficient engine

if the game was made for that why not put a HP/KWh rating from the beginning. there is more important stuff in the game to fix or add than change the ghost heat for something worse.

Edited by TheLuc, 14 June 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#136 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

I don't really want this power draw feature, because it is basically going to amount to Ghost Heat Mk II.

It's a speed limit, "you may not deal more than 30 damage in one alpha" - that will ultimately kill off a few builds and not affect a huge swath of others.

All of the players thinking that their builds with 2 medium lasers, one ballistic, 1 LRM, 1 SRM that "works at all ranges" will suddenly be awesome are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Players who want to win will find the new best optimal configurations, on whatever mechs run them the best - and they will still be based on mechs that specialize at a range, and mechs that have a plethora of good hardpoints.

#137 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

One other thing: it will probably completely change the Mechwarrior Online gaming experience.

In a 4yo game that's still suffering from too few maps, too few modes, modes that mostly play out exactly the same way as each other, and a meta game that is dying on the vine, that may be a very good thing.

Variety is the spice of life, and all.

#138 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 13 June 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

So, I saw that this was just Tweeted:

..all the while I haven't heard a single positive thing about the incoming power draw mechanic from any player.. only negative.

1. So, does this community really want an Energy Draw system? Do you guys think it would be good for this game to have a system that prevents players from firing all of their weapons due to some invisible mechanic that has never existed in all of Battletech / Mechwarrior?

2. I mean, Novas are historically known as a mech that carries more weapons that it can keep firing, but that's why alpha-strikes exist.. and Novas shutdown after they alpha-strike.

3. Now, we're going to have another invisible system that surely won't be explained one iota in-game that will alienate and frustrate new players and likely cause existing players to just say, "screw this, they changed the game too much and now it isn't something that I want to keep playing. All the mechs in my garage have been ruined."

4. Personally, I'd rather they got off of their sidetracked asses and rolled FP back to phase 2. They've already rolled out feature after feature that the playerbase didn't want, didn't ask for and didn't like.. and that has done possibly irreparable damage to the FP participation numbers.

This new feature sounds like a horrible pain in the *** and a generally terrible idea.. in a long line of pains in the asses and terrible ideas.

Numbered for ease of reference.

1 and 2 kind fit into the same category for me. From a lore perspective, you aren't supposed to be firing all your weapons all the time. As for "an invisible mechanic that has never existed to prevent people from alpha striking"... I have to ask where you got that from.

The table top system alone has more than enough power to stop a person from alpha striking. Random dice roll determining where you hit the enemy, or if you hit them at all, and a much more punishing heat system that actually then plays back into the dice rolling making it harder to actually hit your enemy, and actually making it all the more likely that YOU will be hit.

Accuracy loss, speed loss, pilot health check, shutdown override. All these things add modifiers to your dice to make it harder for you to hit the enemy, and because of your speed loss, and possibly the pilot health checks, add modifiers to your enemies dice making it easier for them to hit you.

Unless you choose the right sort of mech and build them to be heat neutral, you run a lot of risks, and at the same time, running a heat neutral mech has its own risks. You're probably carrying fewer weapons which means you won't be dealing as much damage, meaning it will take longer to kill your enemy than it might take them to kill you.

The problem is, and has always been, MWO has NONE of these penalties. It has always been pinpoint accurate, able to boat large numbers of powerful weapons able to melt your enemies if you so much as LOOK at them.

Yes that is an exaggeration, but it fits the point I'm trying to make.

If a min/maxed MWO mech were to meet a min/maxed TT mech of the exact same model, lets say a Warhammer just for the fun of it, the MWO mech would win hands down because of how absurdly powerful the rules have made it.

Doubled armor/structure, absolutely no heat penalties. It would literally look at the TT mech and just melt it into slag.

MWO has gotten so far away from the rules it was based on it's just laughable. MWO needs to go back to basics and start over with the core game mechanics.

As for the Nova... No body, and I mean no body in their right mind would ever just alpha away with a Nova, one shot and you'd probably go so far past the 30 point heat cap you'd just boil your pilot alive before the mech just explodes.

3. I've said this once before in a thread about the energy draw system. Every weapon system will be given a number that it will draw from whatever "power pool" your engine is capable of supplying. The bigger the engine, the larger the pool probably. The same can be said of weapons, the bigger or more powerful a weapon, the more energy it will draw.

Ballistics will probably draw the least power, lasers will probably draw the most, missiles will be somewhere in between I imagine.

So, let's say an AC2 draws .25 power, an AC5 draws 1 power, an AC10 draws 5 power, and an AC20 draws 10 power.

Let's say an LRM5 draws .5 power, an LRM10 draws 1.25 power, an LRM15 draws 6 power, and an LRM20 draws 12 power.

Let's say a small laser draws 1 power, a small pulse draws 2.5, a medium draws 4, a medium pulse draws 9, a large draws 8 and a large pulse draws 17.

Keep in mind these are completely off the wall, spit balled numbers here.

Now, let's say we're building a Warhammer, the 6D specifically, with 8 energy hard points. Now, let's say you want to fill those 8 hardpoints with mediums, regular or pulse, doesn't matter, we'll go with each for now.

So, 8 medium lasers requires 32 power, 8 medium pulse lasers require 72 power.

Now, let's say the 6Ds stock engine, a 280, is capable of putting out 72 power, because it mounts PPCs when stock, and I'm willing to bet PPCs are real power hogs.

So, you would still be able to fire off all 8 MPLs, but you would probably only get to do it once before you were risking a shutdown, while the 8 normal MLs would be able to fire twice in succession, with a little bit of leeway given that 72 power divided by 32 is 2.25, so you would still have power left over.

If you fired your 8 MLs the right way, accounting for the weapons cooldowns and time for energy to recharge, you might be able to fire them off 3 times before you're risking a shutdown.

You would still be able to alpha strike, but you'd actually have to WEIGH THE RISK of doing so, something MWO has needed for years now.

Finally, 4. Let's be honest here, CW/FW was doomed from the start. It was too big a gamble on PGI's part and they rolled a snake eyes. The maps are choke pointy in the extreme, always have similar elements across all the maps... Yes they maybe laid out differently and look different, but they all PLAY exactly the SAME. Variations on a theme do not make a good game mode.

At least in QP the games are similar, but never EXACTLY the same.

Maps in CW/FW should have been much, much bigger, had more open areas to encourage scouting and LRMing, maybe a city or a base or something to brawl around/inside, and sure there could be a choke point here or there, but they should not have been the dominant features of the map and the ONLY way to get to the objective. That's where the mode really falls on its face. The only way to get to the objective is to go through the meat grinder, or go the long-flipping-way-around and HOPE that you catch the enemy off guard.

There are far, far too many problems with CW/FW to list them all, which is part of why the game mode is the flipping ghost town that it is, aside from the ultra-hardcore teams that always complain about only facing each other. Guess what, it's a ghost town of your own making. You clubbed the seals, they complained and left, you complained there's no one to play with, and you say it's boring fighting the few who you do play against, so PGI rolls out a CW/FW event to get people back into it. And you just start the cycle all over again.

Splitting the CW/FW queues was a good idea, but again, the problem had already gotten too large by that point, so when PGI "checked the numbers", yeah, big surprise there's hardly anyone playing, because not only is the game mode itself bad, but there just aren't enough total players in MWO to make it a viable system.

Just yesterday I was playing World of Warships, and they have a player counter right up in the menu bar. They had like 10-12k players at one point when I was on, and even at like 1 AM there were still about 8k players playing.

I'd honestly be surprised if MWO had even 4k players on at peak hours, and I think that's being ludicrously optimistic. 2k players at peak hours is still being overly generous.

The game is literally hemorrhaging players, and I think that's part of why PGI decided to add in this stupid lockbox mechanic, to try and draw in people from games that already have that mechanic. It might work for a little bit, but it's just one more on the list of bad ideas that should not have even been thought of to begin with, on top of all the broken mechanics the game has at its core.

That's it, that's my spiel.

#139 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

Bad idea because there is no power draw in Battle Tech. Just Heat, Weight, and Space and PGI should be bound to that balancing. Otherwise things will lose their basic balancing strengths to be replaced by an invented power draw.

The mechs need more armor or smaller hit-boxes or dual hit-boxes that have a full damage core surrounded by an outer hit-box that deflects half the damage. Would be similar to sloped armor on armored vehicles.

Besides, you know the Lights are the mechs which benefit the most from alpha-striking.

#140 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 14 June 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Bad idea because there is no power draw in Battle Tech. Just Heat, Weight, and Space and PGI should be bound to that balancing. Otherwise things will lose their basic balancing strengths to be replaced by an invented power draw.

The mechs need more armor or smaller hit-boxes or dual hit-boxes that have a full damage core surrounded by an outer hit-box that deflects half the damage. Would be similar to sloped armor on armored vehicles.

Besides, you know the Lights are the mechs which benefit the most from alpha-striking.

*facepalm*

Oh for crying out loud. The game is already unbalanced at the core by allowing pinpoint accuracy and constant alpha striking.

Read my previous post above.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users