Does This Community Really Want An Energy Draw Feature?

819 replies to this topic

#61 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:13 PM

View PostMycrus, on 13 June 2016 - 11:00 PM, said:

Coming to 5 years on and balance is still an unreachable goal... just do whatever you want pgi... whatever you want...

I don't really know what you expect.

No online game with assymetrical characters is ever balanced. Even LoL, with it's absurdly huge playerbase, massive devteam, and more money than god? It's got oodles of terribad champions and such, too. Balance is freaking hard, and a moving target. Nobody ever gets it. Never.

But this isn't even about balance at all anyways.

Edited by Wintersdark, 13 June 2016 - 11:13 PM.

#62 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:14 PM

I certainly don't. The game is pretty balanced a it is. One can mention status quo bias but knowing that everything we've got so far happened because of a series of random changes leaves a lot of room to **** up if we continue the same way.

I don't get why everyone is complaining honestly. You're rewarded for getting close by being able to do a lot of damage with SRMs, Laser boats are nasty but have pretty bad dps which you can exploit. Dakka is back. You can snipe either with ERLLs or Gauss too. Want to kill the former two, by all means, but don't complain about dakka or sniper meta afterwards.

I'd prefer PGI to fix what's left (LRMs, PPCs, MGs, LB-X alt firing mode, make IS LPL not affected by quirks, I dunno, turn "energy heat gen" quirk into "std laser heat gen", same with duration quirks) and then add a bunch of new weapons with timeline jump to refresh gameplay a bit.

Edited by kapusta11, 14 June 2016 - 01:26 AM.

#63 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 13 June 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

It doesnt matter what we want.
Like russ said only PGI know what is good for MWO.

A community doesn't exactly have a single will does it. A game developer should not change their game to what vocal players want. The game is better of if they keep to their vision of the game instead of shifting here or there depending on what the "community says".

#64 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:11 AM

Opinions do not matterTM.

#65 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:50 AM

On one hand afaik an energy draw system was never in Battletech (the BT games I played, anyway) and I feel that adding it would only move MWO away from the Battletech that I know more than it already is.

On the other hand, I've been around long enough that I no longer believe in these "it will fix TTK and high alphas" fairytales. People will always find a way to do as much damage as possible in as little time as possible, and only a very tight leash might overcome that.

#66 Jaqir

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:57 AM

If it's implemented properly and brings a bit of resource management to the battlefield, I can't say I'm against it. If it's just Ghost Heat v2, well... Then that's what it is. I won't be seeing increased TTK as an issue in any case.

#67 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:02 AM

View PostYellonet, on 13 June 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

A community doesn't exactly have a single will does it. A game developer should not change their game to what vocal players want. The game is better of if they keep to their vision of the game instead of shifting here or there depending on what the "community says".

Yup, Warhammer Online was a prime example how your theory proved true. I mean the whole community told them that it is insane that AoE damage hits harder than single target damage...and the devs more or less said "L2P" and "You have no idea".

Do some search and look how well WHO does nowadays ;)

#68 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:08 AM

Its a different form of ghost heat called energy draw, and as usual with P.G.I it's over complex and will probably fail to achieve what it's out to do, though I don't remember P.G.I actually telling us what its supposed to do, other than be a replacement for ghost heat.

Far far simpler and effective idea's have been suggested by the community.

lowering the heat threshold and increasing dissipation being a really really basic one, but why P.G.I won't do this one, I have no idea why.

My best guess is that Alphanoob, will keep blowing up his mech and leave the game, where the reality is that people are leaving because its alpha this alpha that,

Of course P.G.I know what's best for us, which is why the Steam numbers shrink month after month, and the old guard are leaving in a slow trickle, because well.

P.G.I know best ?

#69 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:20 AM

No not really.

The funny thing is when bad player are still getting killed instantly/quickly by good players I wonder what the next scapegoat will be?

#70 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:28 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 13 June 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

All this is going to do is reduce competitive variety, not change anything else.

Russ tweeted that the new system SHOULD give more competitive variety to the builds.
IMHO IF they increase TTK limiting big alpha strikes it could be better from a gameplay perspective...
However, untill we have the details of the new system, it's pure speculation.
Lets wait and see.

#71 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:34 AM

Like a lot of BT fans, I was hoping they'd work towards TT-inspired negative consequences for overheating, making mechs slower, less agile, etc. But once again, PGI shows that they prefer to do things their own way and not really listen to their players or at least explain why they're not listening to the players.

Too early to say anything about whether I want it or not, it's just a big mystery at the moment. I'm not going to speculate. I just remain hopeful that PGI will get rid of the new system if it turns out to be a poor alternative and everyone hates it.

#72 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:35 AM

"Does this community really want a power draw feature?"

Seeing the craze because a new mech was announced...I think I know what the community wants and why PGI doesn't finally address core issues like stale game modes, no long-term motivation to play (CW - is just trash, sorry).

Posted Image

That being said, I am glad that they try to tackle the alpha strikes.

View PostSader325, on 14 June 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

No not really.

The funny thing is when bad player are still getting killed instantly/quickly by good players I wonder what the next scapegoat will be?

Yeah, of course only bad players complain. That's what you are implying. Such a sweeping statement says much about your person /clap, clap, clap

Edited by Bush Hopper, 14 June 2016 - 01:37 AM.

#73 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:37 AM

Why not just lower the heat cap and adjust the heatsinks that they no longer raise the heat cap...? Instead the heatsinks should do what they are supposed to do. To cool your mech down, but then they should dissipate heat faster then they do now.

For each and every mech this cap IS the same. No if and but's and or's... Say heatcap is 40. It stays 40, but ofcourse the bigger mechs have more room to put heatsinks in then the smaller and lighter mechs. This way the bigger mechs have a natural advantage over smaller mechs. Or is this just wishfull thinking on my part?

Pretty simple isnt it? Just lower the heatcap and alphastrikes are not ancient history but then you either have smaller alpha's or just one big alpha then you shutdown (as it is in battletech/lore...).

#74 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:42 AM

It doesn't matter what PGI does, there will ALWAYS be a meta, and there will ALWAYS be people refusing to learn, and just whines.

Once the new system kicks in, the mechs and weapons that play the system the best will become the meta, just as we had the hexa-PPC, poptarts, laser vomits, there will be a meta.

And the same whiners will be back here and on Twitter whining how the system is broken

If the limit is 30 pts of damage, the new meta will be stuff like dual Guass, triple PPCs, 3x AC10s, etc.....

#75 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:44 AM

View PostRed Shrike, on 14 June 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

On one hand afaik an energy draw system was never in Battletech (the BT games I played, anyway) and I feel that adding it would only move MWO away from the Battletech that I know more than it already is.

Well, battletech doesn't have perfect convergence, combined PPFLD, etc. either. A more "Battletech" solution is dynamic CoF, but that's off the table. So...

#76 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:50 AM

You simply don't need a freaking additional system, already in its Alpha version MWO had all the tools that were necessary to solve Alpha Strikes.

#77 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:51 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 June 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

Well, battletech doesn't have perfect convergence, combined PPFLD, etc. either. A more "Battletech" solution is dynamic CoF, but that's off the table. So...

Exactly this is one of the most important differences between MWO and the BT TT.

As for power draw: it is hinted at in some official technical readouts (mostly in conjunction with Gauss) and novels. However, there was no rule in TT

#78 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:02 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 14 June 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

Yeah, of course only bad players complain. That's what you are implying. Such a sweeping statement says much about your person /clap, clap, clap

It says that bad players are going to still get killed by good players, and they will come up with another reason for it.

I'm not implying anything, I'm stating exactly what I want to say.

When I'm still killing you quickly/instantly, what are you going to complain about next?

#79 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:04 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 June 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

With the power draw system you're pretty much throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

#80 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:07 AM

View PostSader325, on 14 June 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

It says that bad players are going to still get killed by good players, and they will come up with another reason for it.

I'm not implying anything, I'm stating exactly what I want to say.

When I'm still killing you quickly/instantly, what are you going to complain about next?

Awww another ad hominem. Guys like you, who who love to act tough and spout their metal diarrhea, I would really like to meet in rl. I think it would be an utmost pleasant experience - at least for me.

Edited by Bush Hopper, 14 June 2016 - 02:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users