Just A Thought On Ease Of Aiming, Ttk And The Like.

425 replies to this topic

#281 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 June 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

Sincere question - like what?

Pretend for a moment someone got bone weary of the missed potential in MWO and picked up the license after it runs out with a great team and a reasonable budget and wanted to double down on making it work.

What would this look like?

Honestly, you would have to ditch a lot of the construction rules to pull it off (or give super quirks, I prefer ditching construction rules) and just leave the system more arbitrary. Mechs that are meant to be bracketed might not have the hardpoints or ability to mount as much firepower as a specialized build, but has more free tonnage to allow it to mount enough firepower that it can at least keep up somewhat with the specialized designs. Something along those lines, I'm not necessarily against bracket builds that could keep up like that, but we would have to ditch a lot of the standard rules imo to pretty much pull it off, we would also have to limit how much customization is possible so that these same mechs can't specialize even if customized.

Basically the more I've thought about these things, the more I think for a future MW title to be successful with the F2P or Overwatch-esque release model the game has to both ditch construction rules typical of TT as well as pretty much be stock plus when it comes to customization, limiting a lot of the customization we enjoy currently so that mechs aren't overlapped and to help curtail problems like this or for things like the dynamic that lights don't handle ballistics well or that assaults rely on ballistics to be useful for the most part.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 16 June 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#282 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 16 June 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

That said, I could live with Crosshair sway ...

Frankly, I'd rather have reticle bloom instead of crosshair sway, especially for high sway frequencies. They're just annoying. The former conveys the same information without the annoyance factor.

#283 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 June 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

Sincere question - like what?

Pretend for a moment someone got bone weary of the missed potential in MWO and picked up the license after it runs out with a great team and a reasonable budget and wanted to double down on making it work.

What would this look like?

Well, for starters, it would probably involve pinpoint accuracy and perfect convergence, given that it's a precision based shooter, and not an RNG based spray shooter like CoD.

The missed potential of MWO actually has very little to do with the game mechanics themselves. It's the lack of setting, atmosphere, and general grittiness that previous MW titles had.

There's no polish to the game. Everything from the colors, map design, sound effects, music, voice acting, etc. all look/sound like placeholders for something greater that's never going to come.

Removing instant convergence and/or increasing TTK is not going to make me feel any more like I'm piloting a giant weapon of war than I do now. I still can't choose active/passive radar. I still can't switch to a HTAL readout. I still feel like I'm running around on a small map for no purpose whatsoever other than to eliminate the other team. I still don't feel any power or recoil from firing heavy weapons. I still feel more like I'm being molested by lasers than actually being hit by powerful beams of energy, melting and slicing off armor. I still don't understand why my machine can still fire perfectly straight despite being drilled by dakka, and how it's only my pilot head that's bobbing around.

Need I go on?

#284 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostAresye, on 16 June 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Well, for starters, it would probably involve pinpoint accuracy and perfect convergence, given that it's a precision based shooter, and not an RNG based spray shooter like CoD.

The missed potential of MWO actually has very little to do with the game mechanics themselves. It's the lack of setting, atmosphere, and general grittiness that previous MW titles had.

There's no polish to the game. Everything from the colors, map design, sound effects, music, voice acting, etc. all look/sound like placeholders for something greater that's never going to come.

Removing instant convergence and/or increasing TTK is not going to make me feel any more like I'm piloting a giant weapon of war than I do now. I still can't choose active/passive radar. I still can't switch to a HTAL readout. I still feel like I'm running around on a small map for no purpose whatsoever other than to eliminate the other team. I still don't feel any power or recoil from firing heavy weapons. I still feel more like I'm being molested by lasers than actually being hit by powerful beams of energy, melting and slicing off armor. I still don't understand why my machine can still fire perfectly straight despite being drilled by dakka, and how it's only my pilot head that's bobbing around.

Need I go on?

Airy Sea, he is talking about bracket builds vs super weapons, not convergence or CoF :P

#285 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostPjwned, on 16 June 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Because there's a difference between trying something bad while halfassing it and trying something good without halfassing it.

It should go without saying that PGI are expected to do a good job rather than take a good idea, turn it into complete ****, and then not ever be expected to do it properly just because they can't come up with a good idea themselves to save their lives.

I would argue that the mere existence of this thread is proof enough that convergence being a good idea is debatable, especially in the forms usually proposed in the forums.

That's not what it means at all, shooting too wide or shooting too narrow (by a matter of only a few meters in most cases) due to improper convergence is not a case of the damn crosshair being ignored entirely; that's such ridiculous hyperbole.

Assume for the moment that the MechLab-determined 'fixed-distance convergence' or the 'any given weapon converges at its maximum effective range" models of convergence typically proposed in these forums go through. In either case, the convergence point for any given weapon on your machine is set in stone once the machine drops and cannot be adjusted in-match. As such, any time someone fires a weapon, the crosshair serves only as a loose guide to where that weapon fires, outside the rare circumstance of that player's target being exactly the given convergence distance away from the firing machine.

In a game where delayed convergence exists and somehow does not break the game, then this is less of an issue, yes. In the fixed-convergence systems most people tend to end up arguing for, however, you can honestly mostly just dispense with the crosshair altogether and tell players "Center the other 'Mech in the middle of your screen and hit the triggers. If you've Gitted Gud enough, you'll hit. If not...Git Gudder."

It mostly sucked because it broke the game, not because it was an entirely bad idea.

I would kinda figure that breaking the game is a bad idea?

Wrong, delayed convergence breaking hitreg and HSR doesn't automatically mean any other (de)convergence system would do the same, and saying this means you don't understand why delayed convergence in particular was a problem.

No, but fixed deconvergence systems run into the same "your crosshair is a polite request at best" issues we've already been over. And delayed dynamic reconvergence...breaks the game.

Yep, I agree that a system that doesn't allow weapons to reconverge on the target would be bad because again convergence doesn't need to be completely dismantled.

You'd be shocked how many people don't agree that a system which doesn't allow weapons to reconverge on the target is a bad idea.

Because reticle sway, assuming it's affected by movement, would just make the game stagnate into peek-a-boo laser vomit even more than it already is and still not actually address convergence itself; it's also hardly different from cone of fire unless I'm somehow completely missing something with the idea.

I'm also not convinced by fear mongering BS that a more balanced convergence system would break the game because my expectations are that PGI not be a bunch of incompetent hacks, and if that's the main problem then they need to get off their *** and work on it so the game doesn't remain an unbalanced mess.

By 'reticle sway', I mean the motion of the reticle we can see in the game today, via the 3rd-person view camera. It is affected by movement, but in a natural, intuitive manner which also drags the massive laser alphas and Quack fusillades everyone is trying to break off of single target points in a logical, easy-to-see manner, whilst allowing for precision shots by enabling pilots to time their fire to coincide with the 'Mech's natural rhythm, learning to adjust their aim on the fly to compensate for the motion of the machine (both of which count as ways one can Git Gud), or simply by slowing down to reduce motion-derived reticle sway.

Convergence remains instant, and as such HSR and hitreg survive more-or-less unscathed if I have any proper read on either system at all. The 'Mech's aimpoint is visible and concrete at all times. At any given instant, the player knows where their shots are going to go if they decide to fire. The change is simply that the player is no longer the only factor influencing the exact position of that aimpoint - the movement of the 'Mech influences it as well. Excessive heat can influence it, introducing some M.A.S.C./jump-jet-style jitter (if not to the ridiculous degree currently seen in the game) to simulate faulty, heat-addled targeting or actuation systems that can no longer fully compensate for the 'Mech's heat load. Moving the 'Mech at a higher speed means the natural sway of the reticle is also faster/more severe because the 'Mech motion generating it is more severe. Taking a significant hit can also introduce a brief spike of reticle jitter, which may offer some benefit to currently underutilized large, hard-hitting weapons.

It's clean, it's elegant, it preserves existing hitreg assets, it's intuitive and easy to understand just by watching it work, and it accomplishes the spacing-out of large salvos of weapons fire without robbing players of the ability to Improve their Gudness. No one has yet told me why a reticle sway system is so savagely inferior to wonky convergence weirdness save that Wonky Convergence Weirdness is more realistic/more A BattleTech Game™.

And if A BattleTech Game™ is your reply to "why is this a bad idea?", then I really only have one reply, unfortunately:

For Balance, Corerule Ignore

1453 R.
Please, take a breath and clam down.

I'd actually meant to address your last post here, but then there was a new one so I figured I'd be timely.

If you read what Levi and I wrote, at no point was there a mention of NOT being able to reconverge. Drop below 70% heat, and have your throttle below 70% (as ball park figures), and you have your perfect convergence back in the idea that was proposed.
At no point were we ever advocating the complete IMPOSSIBILITY of hitting your target.

What we are asking for is penalties to people going balls to the wall, ALL THE DAMNED TIME.

Which is a problem with the half-implemented heat system more than with shot deviation systems or the lack thereof, but yes. It would be nice if we had a heat system with a bit more depth to it, and you'll never find me arguing against such a system. Unless it's another grognard arguing for a straight-from-TT import of the 30-point heat scale, for reasons I got into above with Pjwned.

Mechwarrior should not be a run'n gun shooter. Not if it wants to try and stay true to lore. We are not asking for you to stand dead still, with 0 heat, just so you can maybe, maybe, make a shot hit. We are asking that when mechs are under strain due to stressing the reactor, or running too hot, that penalties come into play.

MechWarrior should absolutely be a run-and-gun shooter - if you're in a light or fast medium 'Mech. Run-and-gun, or to be more precise in my language here: the ability to fire accurately whilst on the move and actively attempting to outmaneuver the enemy, is a critical component of virtually any non-assault player's skillset, and frankly even 100% dedicated assault players need to learn how to R&G to some extent. As an infamous video game @sshole once said: "Speed is life. if you go slow, you die." Trying to discourage players from engaging in mobile battle is a fantastic way of ensuring this game dies a quick, ignoble death. If both sides are trying to mostly just sit still and wait for the other team to make the explicit error of moving...well, that's going to be a long, boring, really kinda frustrating game.

Personally, I like Levis' Predictable Divergence mechanic. That said, I could live with Crosshair sway based on a mechs throttle and movement characteristics, if we also got debuffs to agility when running hot. Maybe a sliding scale starting at 1% agility and top speed debuff at 50% Heat, going up to a negative 50% debuff at 100% heat. Ballpark figures, a starting point.
These could be the equivalent of aiming penalties when running hot, because as the mech becomes sluggish, it is harder to track targets. Though I like this idea less than the Divergence, I still think it would be an acceptable compromise.

At the end of the day, I'd just like to see penalties for pushing your mech too hard. Right now, the "skill" in hitting targets is based on the quality of your gaming rig and relative latency.

Predictable Divergence, as I recall, is the gradual deconvergence of your weapons based on multiple external factors to hit near specific regions of an expanding crosshair. It's workable in theory, but also runs into the "this breaks hitreg/HSR" issues that any other dynamic convergence system does, and frankly it's always smacked of committee compromise to me. Levi's a cool guy, don't get me wrong, but having your weapons deconverge, but not deconverge too much, and fire sorta randomly but not actually randomly, but instead at specific regions of your crosshair based on their compass direction from the center of your 'Mech, is...weird. It's an ungainly system in my particular personal view, and once again invokes the issue of the crosshair being a polite request rather than a command. As well, it does the thing most people do with their thing and Predicts the Future(echo, echo, echo....) such that crosshair divergence happens before a large salvo of weapons fire, in order to ensure that accurately putting a large salvo of fire on target is never possible.

As for penalties for pushing the 'Mech...sure. Absolutely, let's see how that falls out. But the penalties need to be commensurate with the rewards (i.e. being able to move quickly, or shoot a lot of stuff all at once), rather than being so enormously punitive that doing the thing which triggers the penalties is pretty much always a mistake, in all circumstances.

Pushing a 'Mech hard and having it complain would be a great addition to the game. Pushing a 'Mech hard and having it just fall completely to pieces under you and lose any and all semblance of being a devastating war machine is...a little much.

View PostMystere, on 16 June 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Frankly, I'd rather have reticle bloom instead of crosshair sway, especially for high sway frequencies. They're just annoying. The former conveys the same information without the annoyance factor.

It doesn't convey even remotely the same information. Reticle bloom is "your fire will land somewhere within this Cone of Failure painted on your screen. You have no idea where and no control over where. May the Schwartz be with you."

You really just cannot tolerate the thought of weapons fire going where it's supposed to, can you?

Edited by 1453 R, 16 June 2016 - 04:27 PM.

#286 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

Honestly, you would have to ditch a lot of the construction rules to pull it off (or give super quirks, I prefer ditching construction rules) and just leave the system more arbitrary. Mechs that are meant to be bracketed might not have the hardpoints or ability to mount as much firepower as a specialized build, but has more free tonnage to allow it to mount enough firepower that it can at least keep up somewhat with the specialized designs. Something along those lines, I'm not necessarily against bracket builds that could keep up like that, but we would have to ditch a lot of the standard rules imo to pretty much pull it off, we would also have to limit how much customization is possible so that these same mechs can't specialize even if customized.

Basically the more I've thought about these things, the more I think for a future MW title to be successful with the F2P or Overwatch-esque release model the game has to both ditch construction rules typical of TT as well as pretty much be stock plus when it comes to customization, limiting a lot of the customization we enjoy currently so that mechs aren't overlapped and to help curtail problems like this or for things like the dynamic that lights don't handle ballistics well or that assaults rely on ballistics to be useful for the most part.

I've been chewing on something like that. Actually go back to TT style construction rules - it needs to be stock with slight modification. No engine size change, sized hardpoints, etc.

The liquid metal concept is fun in a way but end of the day it eliminates the value of multiple mechs. The only way to make new mechs relevant is, literally, power creep.

You keep mechs true to design and use some quirkingon bad designs and you carve out exclusive places for different mechs.

I was also chewing on the idea of using R&R as a balance tool. Make it a % value of damage vs a % value of match reward so a "lower value mech" is more profitable to play. Make modifications to mechs drive up the mechs R&R costs significantly so you're likely to run expensive, heavily modified mechs for comp and more stock-ish mechs for pug/group.

Also looking at SHS and regular structure giving structure buffs or dissipation buffs, etc.

#287 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:00 PM

View Post1453 R, on 16 June 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

Well thought out and written argument/rebuttal.

"[color=#959595]It's clean, it's elegant, it preserves existing hitreg assets, it's intuitive and easy to understand just by watching it work, and it accomplishes the spacing-out of large salvos of weapons fire without robbing players of the ability to Improve their Gudness. No one has yet told me why a reticle sway system is so savagely inferior to wonky convergence weirdness save that Wonky Convergence Weirdness is more realistic/more A BattleTech Game™.[/color]

Damn Yes! Thank you for putting it into an elegant statement.
Reticule sway for the win!

Edited by Gorgo7, 16 June 2016 - 05:02 PM.

#288 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 June 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

I've been chewing on something like that. Actually go back to TT style construction rules - it needs to be stock with slight modification. No engine size change, sized hardpoints, etc.

The problem with that, is many of the stock mechs have serious overlap, which means a lot of the stock variants need to be redone to be both not crap and be more unique. Not to mention engine sizes should be slightly adjustable. Ditching construction rules gives you a bit more freedom with how to go about that since stock configs will need to be redone anyway.

You keep mechs true to design and use some quirkingon bad designs and you carve out exclusive places for different mechs.

I'm not a fan of the quirkening, I'd rather they hide what mechs need more to be better. It ends up being slightly confusing to players giving them information they really don't need to know.

I was also chewing on the idea of using R&R as a balance tool. Make it a % value of damage vs a % value of match reward so a "lower value mech" is more profitable to play. Make modifications to mechs drive up the mechs R&R costs significantly so you're likely to run expensive, heavily modified mechs for comp and more stock-ish mechs for pug/group.

No, R&R should NEVER be used as a balancing tool in a PvP only game. It makes sense for PvE, but that's it.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 16 June 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#289 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostAresye, on 16 June 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Need I go on?

Funny you should mention.

A great way to add skills friendly complexity is in more varied and complex HUD, radar and settings for your mech.

One thing that isn't currently represented at all is recoil and damage impact. In TT taking 20 pts in 10 seconds would force a piloting skill roll. What if taking a bunch of damage in a short timeframe would force a change in speed and direction, more than just a bit of screen shake - actually shift your turn, yawn and pitch.

Issue with larger maps is non-engagement time. You don't want players spending 5 minutes just walking in every 15 minute match.

So more complexity - hard-ish without an AI and a pretty good one for most stuff. What about stuff literally on rails? So for example most Long Tom setups are on a rail system around bases so a mission where the attackers need to destroy the Long Tom somewhere along its circuit and defenders protect it? Destructible environments are a good option too, destroying a bridge or structure. Hard to build that without creating a very repetitive design.

Escorting a demolitions or mine layer vehicle and such is a cool concept but without some pathing AI it would be unable to spawn in random locations.

All of which is a segue. What's some mechanics that could change, big or small, to fix megaweapon builds and issues created by perfect precision?

#290 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

It doesn't convey even remotely the same information. Reticle bloom is "your fire will land somewhere within this Cone of Failure painted on your screen. You have no idea where and no control over where. May the Schwartz be with you."

Considering I intend to minimize the environmental effects to suit my intended firing solutions, I know where my shots will go, assuming my aim is true.

You really just cannot tolerate the thought of weapons fire going where it's supposed to, can you?

15 pages and you've still not figured out that shots will still go where they are aimed, that the impact patterns will still all be predictable, whether it's 1 weapon or 16, using any of the convergence ideas given here by people, because it's all mostly based on plain trigonometry.

Le sigh!

Edited by Mystere, 16 June 2016 - 05:22 PM.

#291 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 June 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

One thing that isn't currently represented at all is recoil and damage impact.

Which is quite absurd when you think about the fact that even MechWarrior 3 had both of those.

#292 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostAresye, on 16 June 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

Which is quite absurd when you think about the fact that even MechWarrior 3 had both of those.

If people have been complaining about screen shake and blinding caused by spammed ACs and missiles, imagine the amount of QQ something like impact recoil would generate.

#293 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

View PostAresye, on 16 June 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

Damage shifting your torso position would go a long way.

So would a bit of recoil. Lasers do generate recoil - just more force over a shorter duration. Photons have impulse.

#294 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

View PostMystere, on 16 June 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

If people have been complaining about screen shake and blinding caused by spammed ACs and missiles, imagine the amount of QQ something like impact recoil would generate.

It wouldn't be any different for those players since most don't know your aim is unaffected by screen shake. MW4 had it, but RoF on weapons was also lower because it is very unfun to play against mechs designed to stun lock someone (ie shouldn't be a thing).

#295 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 June 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

Damage shifting your torso position would go a long way.

So would a bit of recoil. Lasers do generate recoil - just more force over a shorter duration. Photons have impulse.

Lasers have negligible impulse at the energies and over the time scales combat takes place in. Ergo, for all intents and purposes they are free from any form of recoil.

The PPC, tho'...

#296 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 June 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

It wouldn't be any different for those players since most don't know your aim is unaffected by screen shake. MW4 had it, but RoF on weapons was also lower because it is very unfun to play against mechs designed to stun lock someone (ie shouldn't be a thing).

Hey! Speak for yourself about stun locks. I myself want them. The more there are means of suppressive fire the better. Posted Image

View PostYeonne Greene, on 16 June 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Lasers have negligible impulse at the energies and over the time scales combat takes place in. Ergo, for all intents and purposes they are free from any form of recoil.

The PPC, tho'...

PPCs should be different. In addition to disrupting ECM carriers, they should also disrupt the HUD, increase heat, and cause target locks to be lost.

Edited by Mystere, 16 June 2016 - 06:04 PM.

#297 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostMystere, on 16 June 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

Hey! Speak for yourself about stun locks. I myself want them. The more there are means of suppressive fire the better. Posted Image

From a game design perspective, if they don't allow a reasonable amount of counter fire in a 1v1 situation, then it is too much.

#298 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 June 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

From a game design perspective, if they don't allow a reasonable amount of counter fire in a 1v1 situation, then it is too much.

But then again, we should not be worrying too much about 1v1 situations in a PvP game designed with teams and teamwork at it's core. That would be catering too much to the solo player.

#299 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

One of the underlying goals with most proposals for changing or adding mechanics related to time-to-kill is typically to return the literary feel of giant war machines that can take a beating and just keep on going, slowly being worn down until they finally collapse in a cloud of smoke and flame.

Assuming that the above is true, reticule sway does nothing. Say the reticule sways slightly leftward. You fire. All your shots hit the same point at the dead center of the reticule. AlphaWarrior Online (to borrow a common forum term) is alive and well. This isn't to say that reticule sway isn't valuable as an immersion factor, since I very much think that it is, but it in no way addresses the problem.

Having predictable dynamic precision reduction based on known factors means that you can still place all of your damage on a single point, if you manage your variables. If you push your mech, your alpha will spread - maybe not much, but enough to reduce the overwhelming potency of pinpoint alpha strikes.

PGI's current proposed (and apparently coming soon) solution to this problem is artificially to limit simultaneous firing using arbitrary damage caps. This has its advantages, but is seriously flawed in many ways, not least of which being its lack of adherence to the lore (please note that I vastly prefer lore reasons over tabletop ones, as my approach to Battletech and Mechwarrior will always be most heavily informed by the novels).

Edit: This last mechanic would also allow PGI to force non-stock-boat variants to build with diversified loadouts. They likely wouldn't manage to eliminate super-specialized builds entirely, but at least the weapon systems used by those specialists would be a little more variable.

Another quick and dirty solution that would stave off the problem somewhat without actually solving any of the underlying issues would be to switch from 12v12 back to 8v8. Personally I'm in favor of this as a stop-gap measure. Keep Invasion mode 12v12 with respawns, but return Instant Action to 8v8. Ideally, PGI would even add a Raiding mode to CW as an alternative 4v4 option to Recon drops.

There are two more potential factors that PGI could implement with minimal effort, though the forum outcry for the first would likely rival that of 3PV. Sized hardpoints would give PGI far more fine control over potential builds, allowing them to reign in outliers that break the level of balance that they have managed to achieve heretofore. Variable max armor based on stock values would allow builds that are light on hardpoints to compete in other ways, since they're typically more heavily armored than the up-gunned variants that typically out-perform them.

Finally, PGI could go all-in on arbitrary limits and simply fix the number of any given weapon that is permitted. If they did this while also allowing mechs that violate those limits stock to continue to be excepted, it could open some very interesting design space. Take PPCs for instance. If there were an arbitrary limit of 2 PPCs per mech, then Awesomes and Prime Warhawks would both be uniquely positioned to take advantage of those weapon systems in ways that other mechs quite simply can't match. Likewise, if Medium Lasers are limited to 6 (30 damage), then the Hunchback 4P would be one of the few mechs capable of violating that limit.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 16 June 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#300 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostMystere, on 16 June 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

But then again, we should not be worrying too much about 1v1 situations in a PvP game designed with teams and teamwork at it's core. That would be catering too much to the solo player.

Its not about the solo players, its just saying that the only situation in which a mech should be allowed to be stun locked, is when multiple people are firing at it.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users