New Minimap Feedback

446 replies to this topic

#161 DivBy0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

The new minimap is more than useless! Have PGI no playtesting?
Please fix it as soon as possible. We need zoom and rotation.
Better... bring back the old map!!
I will not spend a single Euro on this game before this is fixed. Today I cancled the buy of the ButterrBee and the ROC :-(
A new major fail in Game Design :-(

#162 fuzzylogic01

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:43 PM

agreed minimap is an issue.
main things i want to see:
direction of unit travel for everyone
zoom function for 500, 1000, 1500 meters
objective and waypoint markers etc

#163 Col Skaza

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

I did 1 game. I saw the map, I died, Im not coming back online, until this terrible piece of crap goes away.

EDIT:

And makes Seismic useless.

GJ PGI!

Edited by Col Skaza, 21 June 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#164 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

I am ignoring the "mini" map as much as possible. One trip thru the new frozen city and I could feel my eyes straining, not sure if its the snow effect or the minimap or both but...I do not play video games to INDUCE seizures and migraine headaches.

#165 Mumpitzmaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

#DontFixWhatsNotBroken

You want to have Information Warfare PGI? So why do you take away a critical amount of Information from the Player?

Seismic? Useless at this level of Detail.

Orientation? Gone because now you need to look in which direction your arrow is pointing and then figure out where to move to find the enemy. We need relative positions for fast navigation, not absolute ones.

Movement? ****** up, because there is now only this little indicator at the compass, that you also made more lightweight, so that its harder to see. The VoW Indicator was a simple and powerful solution that was great.
I dont want to look at thousand places for information. The old Minimap combined the enemy movement with your own orientation in a very good way.

The Battle Grid is for an overview over the whole map, not the Minimap. I dont know a single Game where the Minimap shows the whole Map. Thats why its called MINI-Map. Its intended to show a smaller area of the map. Else you could simply call it map and remove the Battle Grid.

If you want to change something for gods sake, then make the enemy arrows be these squares, if you feel better then. But the current solution is absolutelty unacceptable.

Do you even ask the community before you implement such features? Or do you simply like to get shitstormed? Is it a fetish of you guys? So please, don't let it like this until the next patch. Do a hotfix and revert it while you work on a better solution or simply leave it as it was, because it was absolutely fine. Let the users decide in their game settings which Zoom level they prefer and if the map or the mech indicator should be fixed, but the mech indicator should always be in the center of the minimap. That how i know minimaps from all different kinds of games since twenty years ago.

#166 Feral Goose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

Posted Image

#167 Nammuz

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

Add me into the new map is worthless camp. It's disorienting and too small to use effectively anyway. The larger view is what pushing 'b' was for and it worked, now it's just a mess.

#168 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

Have to add, how stunned I am that you allowed the minimap to go live in its current state, its worse than useless, can't judge how far away people are if they are on their own its worse than not having a map at all.

This single item undoes a lot of improvements you've made in this patch and really epitomises everything negative that is said about P.G.I it really is impossible to defend on how inept this one feature is

Please roll it back until you can launch it with a working zoom feature

Edited by Cathy, 21 June 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#169 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

Finding it very difficult to get my bearings and frequently turning or traveling the wrong direction- especially with a mech with high torso twist! No bueno

#170 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

The fundamental purpose of a map is navigation by an abstract diagram of reality. In other words when you look at a map you should be able to see were you are in real life and when you look up from a map you should be able see features that tell you where you are on the map.

I played on polar. The minimap there is a white circle. I mean you could replace it with a plain piece of white paper and you get the same information as the mini map.

I don't care if the old red and blue doritos on the old map made tactical information to easy to obtain. I don't care if these new squares and blips have all sorts of nifty features and information.

You can remove it all as long as you just bring back a map you can use to see where you are and plan where to go without getting lost.

You know something you can navigate with. The thing humans been using maps for the last 9000 years of our civilization.

#171 Maberi

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

I want radar, not micromap!!

Nobody asked for a change like this!!

#172 fudog

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostKyrs, on 21 June 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

This new minimap make light mech piloting a nightmare.
Can't navigate obstacle with it.
Can't find my legs

Can't orient my self

This triple my OODA time, WTF...

note:

I didn't realise OODA was a thing - great way to encompass the concept.
Thanks for this, Kyrs.

This is what I was on about regarding spacial orientation.

My GF goes crazy when I zoom out on the car's navigation system and set the map to orient North. It's just to get overall position - I always return it to "my reference point as driver" mode because it's the fastest method to Observe / Orient leading to Decide and Act.

#173 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

PGI,

Why do you think this

Posted Image

is a good thing to use for a real time environment??

#174 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Sorry to say I must agree with many in this post. Detail is lost, seismic is useless. We want and need a zoom feature, & lockable orientation.

If we can't get these ASAP, roll it back until it can be implemented.

#175 Drake McCall

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

One match dropped in a locust...that new mini map was messing with my eyes for some reason...very hard to read.

#176 FordPrefect042

Rookie

• The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

Don't like it at all...

Needs to be able to zoom in and out...

Makes UAV spotting on the map useless otherwise...

Needs to rotate to the direction the mech is facing and have a sight cone...

I used that and the sight cone to tell the difference between my torso position and my legs...without that I am constantly running into buildings and terrain...

Makes turning to an enemy counter-intuitive and seismic sensor useless...

Needs to show friendly units AND where they are looking...

Squares NEED to have the labels on them for quick grid reference...

Grids have to be the same size map to map or they have no meaning...

Why would you make a new one and take away all of the good parts of the old one?

Massive downgrade from the old one.

Edited by FordPrefect042, 21 June 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#177 DeiPax

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

If you ever owned a car with GPS, it gives you the option "Always point North" or "Point in my direction". The map, as it has changed, is absolute and not relative ... it is disorienting. Either give us the option to enable the old map or the option to make the map relative like the old map. Unit then, I can not play this game.

Edited by DeiPax, 21 June 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#178 Captian Insano

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

Please roll back to the old MINI-map the new one gives me a headache due to eye strain. Without being able to quickly see orientation and position of friendly mechs what is the point of the new version.

Also new command wheel is pretty useless without hotkeys for the commands....pressing E and selecting an option in the middle of battle is a terrible way to issue commands....

#179 Hinge

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSarasota Florida

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

My feedback on the new map/ui

1) I Can't tell what my torso twist is anymore, sort of an important game element.

2) My Mini Map orientation is different, dramatically diffrent, since I've played this game for 4 years, that change is amazingly disorienting, why do I have to relearn how to work my Mech?

3) Command Wheel is useless. The default chat position at T, Y and U was terrible to begin with, since we all accidentally open the chat window in the heat of battle and then promptly die because we can't control our Mechs while spamming AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
Now we have the E key in the same messed up position, the first thing i had to do was reassign it so i would never ever never ever ever hit the ******* thing!!!

I don't even want to play any more.

Wow, classy move guys.

-Hinge

#180 Iron Wind

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

I'm okay giving things a chance and I put my trust in the professionals to create new and engaging content for the game. Unfortunately, the new mini map made me physically ill and I had to stop playing. I won't play again until the hot fix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users