146 replies to this topic

#101 Dakkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 June 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

As I said which you clearly ignored, just because you see it more than other things, doesn't make it OP especially given how skill floors play into usage.

I will change the phrasing to satisfy your OCD .

I find the fact that just about all I ever see on the field are long range ballistic/energy boats disturbing, unbalanced, reminiscent of MW4, boring, and when considering map design, unfair. Teams are just about 70% sniper mechs these days in my experience.

Will you be able to sleep at night now?

#102 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 29 June 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

When a player writes he wants a Mechwarrior game most of the time means to go back to the roots of the MW2 series, thus a MechSim that feel like a more RPGesque experience.

It is!
Still have MW2/GB/merc, and still playing from time to time.
Best MW ever.

#103 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,770 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostDakkss, on 30 June 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

I find the fact that just about all I ever see on the field are long range ballistic/energy boats disturbing, unbalanced, reminiscent of MW4, boring

Maybe you should join a team if you find that to be a problem then because the experience is a bit different when you actually play as a team. Expecting everything to be worthwhile in PUG queue is a lost cause.

#104 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 30 June 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

It is!
Still have MW2/GB/merc, and still playing from time to time.
Best MW ever.

You sir, are lucky! I dont have a rig that can run mw2... (Nor am I tech savvy enough to figure out on my own how to make such games work on the rig I currently own).

There are many games I miss playing... Many... Many games!

#105 BattleBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 541 posts
  • LocationWarren

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

Very personal opinion incoming.

I am still here because of a great community and some great online friends I have met over the last few years while playing this game. Add to that the nostalgia from MW4 days (similar situation peoplewise) and the time I played the very first MW video games, and I wont leave just yet.

But I came close to departing a few times now. And I might when the current course is held true.

I've seen some weird moves by the people developing this game. And thats after coming fairly late. When I started playing the poptart era had already ended or was about to, I think tourmaline just came out. A buddy of mine tried to get me into MWO at the time but I knew from experience a game like this would eat away my life. (MW4). eventually I let him sucker me in. He quit shortly afterwards because of weird decisions by the developers ( I think it was the lrm arcing thing). I have no regrets staying, Its been a great ride. But its a bittersweet one currently. Again because of weird decisions by the developers.

I think the core of the game is fantastic. Building your own machines of death and then piloting them against other people that also build their deathmachine, is just great. When I first played MWO I loved the sounds and the "feel' I was really piloting a giant crude death machine that needed my input to kill the other deathmachines. slow, strong, cumbersome, destructive. piloting mechs is just fantastic and PGI did a great job getting MWO of the ground initially. And thats coming from a guy thats not a fan of the battletech universe, and never read any of the books.

But its been a slow proces, as with everything with PGI it seems. Lots of tweaking, not much content added. The new maps come out painfully slow. Whats worse is that they remove maps from the game as they add other ones. Every feeling of "yay new content" is overshadowed by 'but I liked this map!"

Community warfare was announced and introduced as a major feature. Maybe THE feature of this game. It turned out to be an unimaginative, stale gamemode. Its chokepoint warfare on maps that make very little sence. Gates open when you cut power to them, and those power generators are exposed above the gates. Wut? Video game logic I suppose. It never stopped bothering me though. Add to this: a giant map thats way to big for its playerbase, rigid contract systems that prevent people from switching quikly and finding a match that way and a ghost drop mechanic (that was in place for ages and only recently got taken out) that sucked the life out of you after waiting for 10 minutes.For a non battletech dude like me I was often in a state of WTF when playing the gamemode. After adding a mechanic that drops giant bombs on the players in what was supposed to be the "final phase" of CW, I tuned out of this mode. I might return for an event or a reward if i care enough, but only that, (well and playing with friends,) will be the reason I play CW. Resetting the map didnt help either for some people I know. They poured hours into conquering planets and making lines move across a map. Resetting this casually, a few times, seems to hit some lore-guys pretty hard.

Something snapped in me a few days ago when the minimap, arguably the most important tool in the game, got taken out and replaced by.....something in august?
The fact the game developers didnt realize that taking out this particular information-tool would result in disgruntled players really finally struck me as something really silly. They created a fantastic game and dont seem to understand why its so great or even how to play it properly.
How can people that develop this game consider this a valid move? the fact they are working on things that get implemented at a later date, should never result in important features being removed NOW and then worked on or replaced "later". Implement it at the time of removing a feature, or dont remove the feature at all.

My trust got damaged to the point where I think the current development team cannot take this game into an area that will make me enjoy it more then I do today or have in the past. Instead of adding lots of new content they seem to want to change the current content, which I love.

here is the pickle (for me)

By continually changing things the developers will always please some , while upsetting others. The upset ones will leave, the pleased ones will stay. But at this point, where will you find replacement for those that left?
Continue along this path and eventually enough core players will have left, not enough new people will have come in (I think every battletech fan that is in existence knows about this game by now) and the game population will slowly dwindle. I think that point is reached.

By making giant changes to game mechanics at this point , the game will die, not grow.
The developers need to focus on maps, game modes, CW, solaris, basically just NEW STUFF.
I get that mechs count as new stuff, and that they are the bread and butter of the franchise in terms of creating revenue, but right now this game can only be saved by making sure people that are currently playing it, will keep playing it. and spending money on it.

PGi has been lucky. and smart.
they dived into a franchise (battletech) that is underrepresented in every way, and it consists of a lot of 25-60+ aged peoples that have jobs and money, PGI sure got our money. They got our feedback. They got our trust. They got our patience.

Its about time we got our content.

Stop tweaking old stuff. Stop inventing weird gamemechanics to fix stuff you consider problems. Start adding some really new content to this game.

Untill that happens, my wallet is closed.

I wanna thank the developers though. I managed to surround myself with great people that I met only through playing this game. Thx for creating that oppertunity.

/ end personal opinion.

Edited by BattleBunny, 01 July 2016 - 04:13 AM.

#106 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

Now now, Bunny, you can't go on blaming the developers for doing the opposite of what you wanted, not even when it's exactly the same that everybody wanted.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 01 July 2016 - 06:29 AM.

#107 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:28 AM

For me personally MWO is the best multiplayer Mechwarrior title so far (and that includes the MPBT titles too), but it is lacking on so many ends. CW/FW/FP/whateverwenameitnext should be THE focal selling point of MWO, but it clearly isn't. When I think of the money PGI is NOT making because of this lackluster product I can only shake my head in disbelief. Even with their small staff and limited resourced I still think the product could be much much better.

#108 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

I dont want to admit how much I have spent on this game in terms of time or money over the years of playing.

Recently I have found myself unwilling to spend money or much of my time on the game until I see where they take some of these planned changes in game.

I really like the core premise of the game as BattleBunny stated and agree with most of this post.

I very much appreciate the development of this game, but I would be seriously remiss if I did not point out that the development team does not play enough or at a level (that is required) to fully understand the effects of the changes they make. Ok, well then you might expect they have consultants like every other game to help them. Nope, their consulting base is more or less non existent with 2 official consultants... one of which focuses on more media work and the other seemingly checked out/ prioritizing growth of a personal twitch stream as of late.

With the above described situation, it is no wonder we have short sighted and seeming arbitrary game changes or "balance" decisions being made. That fact has been demonstrated again and again by these changes that they have pushed live. Changes which indicate a narrow view of how the game actually plays at all skill levels and interactions between game mechanics (which are becoming unnecessarily overly complicated) outside of a spread sheet, test server with script bots, or skewed experience from a very limited time play at a certain skill level in live game.

I hope that they understand the need to restructure some things and address this in the very near future.

Not only does the existing player base gets frustrated by this stuff, but I would imagine new players as well who are trying to grind mechs or learn mechanics just to have it all turned on it's head in large swinging changes every so often. Of course some changes is good and needed but not when it is being done like that.

ETA: Clarified my thoughts a bit, I hope.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 01 July 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#109 Raby760

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostBattleBunny, on 30 June 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Something snapped in me a few days ago when the minimap, arguably the most important tool in the game, got taken out and replaced by.....something in august?
The fact the game developers didnt realize that taking out this particular information-tool would result in disgruntled players really finally struck me as something really silly. They created a fantastic game and dont seem to understand why its so great or even how to play it properly.

Untill that happens, my wallet is closed.

That is what did it for me, since I heavily depended on the minimap. Mech directions on the minimap was a very important tool. It told me whether friendly mechs were moving to my position or away, which is very important when I'm at the front of a line looking to trade shots. This is not as important in previous MechWarrior games because I knew my computer lancemates would follow orders. In MWO, it is important, because teammates don't always do the right thing. But now I have to guess as to whether teammates are heading towards me while the enemy closes in.

There are other things that required fixing. We could have used the option to create saved dropdecks for CW so we wouldn't have to scramble to find the right 4 mechs in less than 1 minute, only to run out of time and end up having a bad CW match due to not having the right mechs. There are a lot of invisible walls that need to be cleaned up on Sulfurous Rift (a CW map that existed from the beginning of CW), and Vitric Forge. Fix PPC registration on targets. Why touch the minimap? The minimap was perfectly fine the way it was! It's just mind-boggling.

I am very disappointed and my wallet is also closed. In fact, I stopped playing.

Edited by Raby760, 01 July 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#110 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

If we only could get rid of Voting!

#111 Smotty

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, best coast

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

I agree fully with Bunny and Darth's post. I'm just going to put out that I have also closed my wallet. PGI has lost yet another whale and until they can figure out how to prioritize content and quit fixing crap that's not broke it will remain closed.

I find it harder and harder to keep playing this game. Most of my old friends have quit playing and I can't say I blame them.

FW is a joke, the tier system has ruined any sort of proper match making and good fights are extremely rare. (The scrubs are real...)

I'm waiting to see what this heat scale system is going to bring, but with PGI's track record I believe it will be crap (sorry, but every other attempt has been crap, so my expectations are extremely low and I still think it will be crap) and this will probably be the end of me spending any more of my time on this game.

#112 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Heat system is make or break. Well actually it is almost guaranteed to be a break, but how long it takes for them to rollback the heat system after everyone hates it, that will make or break.

#113 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

MWO is very much someone flinging paint at the canvass, calling it art. Except, instead of paint, liquid turds, while next to the "artist" is a manual on how to make MWO great and not paint with turds, but is next to a bucket of turds, ready to be flung.

Sums it up?

I consider this constructive criticism.

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 01 July 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#114 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

To start off I enjoy this game (wouldn't be here if I did not) and I do still recommend it to people when I talk about it.

The art and mech design are great. My only issues with mech design is how the newer mechs are becoming sleeker and do not have the battleworn look that some of the older ones. Thats a texture preference though and not really a big deal. The overall looks are great.

The rescale is great. Seriously happy with it. Yes I expected certain of my mechs to get smaller but the fact that the offenders around them got bigger works for me. The thing that people are missing is that from now on released mechs should be correctly sized. This is a really really good thing.

Gameplay at its core is solid for the most part. The feel of battletech has been captured quite well. It is only when you get directly into the mechanics of the game that I start to have issues.

So now come the gripes.....sorry after a review it is a bit negative. I tried not to be but thats just the way it is I guess.

First up, jump jets are not even a pale shadow of what they are in table top. The fact that they are so useless that they really are only worth having one to hop over ledges and such pretty much sums up they need help. Lights can make use of more but thats about it.

Second is the heat scale. We have been told that they are making progress with a variable heat scale penalty system so thumbs up and thank you. Progress is good though I need to see it to evaluate it correctly.

Third is alpha strikes which somewhat translates into heat scale but is sort of a separate issue. The table top player in me is what really hates this. I am realistic enough to understand that many things needed to be changed for a digital adaptation but IMO they changed a number of wrong things. First off the odd notion that increased heat sinks increases your heat capacity, while that sort of ties into the heat scale I find that alone is the single biggest culprit for allowing high alpha strikes. We shall see what power draw does but from what little info that has been released it sounds like it will not change the gameplay that much. With the high heat capacity I suspect people will be willing to pay the cost of the power draw and simply hide out behind the ridge for a longer period of time.

4th PGI has terrible public relations. This is not a slight against Russ. I personally would be a terrible PR guy as I would be likely to tell people to F off. Sometimes that needs to be done but a good PR guy will do it in such a way that people are cool with it. Sadly in todays society negative feedback will always outweigh positive feedback. People that are happy with a change will likely not say anything and simply keep playing. Case in point the recent map change fiasco. Myself and many I know actually liked the map changes and just felt they needed some tweaking. However even though I posted some positive thoughts on it it was drowned out by the vocal individuals that raged against it and PGI caved and for the most part reverted it. The trouble is there are a number of issues in the game that need a massive change in order to work. Infotech ( I think the map was the begining of this after last falls interesting tests that got scrapped over laser lock), LRM's, ECM, heat sinks, heat scale, and pinpoint convergence (plug I think they should just add arm sway while moving. Stand still perfect convergance, faster % you move the more your arms diverge from the central crosshair) to name a few of the biggest issues. However no meaningfull change is likely to happen to any of those because as soon as they do something a vocal minority will lash out and it will be reverted. At some point PGI is going to have to stand their ground and say "No this needs to change". Hopefully they pick the right battle for that.

5th is the community. Honestly it has simply slowly degraded. Part of that is PGI's fault but part of it is our own. Forums in any game are toxic. It is a fact but it is starting to bleed over into the game chat more and more. PGI adding in public PSR tiers, leaderboards for individuals and units as well as recruitment costs has only exacerbated this. Good people who used to be about having fun are not absorbed in their units performance and are putting in requirements to participate. This above everything is what is killing the game for me. In other games I could get away from this by playing PVE but there is none of that here. Just endless death match.

6th the game modes need work. FP is painfull. Long ques followed by roflestomps one way or the other because invasion funnels everyone into kill boxes and PGI's idea of multiple objectives is one objective split over 3 locations or kill everyone. Scouting for me has been an exercise in frustration which surprised me as mediums and lights are my thing however my growing apathy toward the game is starting to affect my play. The more I think why am I playing the worse I play.....but my PSR continues to climbe *rolls eyes*.

7th offensive quirks are kind of wonky. I kind of wish there were none of them to be honest. Also the only mechs that bother with PPC's are mechs that have velocity quirks of at least 30%. Why quirk an under performing weapon for certain chassis when you could just fix it for everyone?

My spending used to be pretty fast and loose with this game. Not even going to discuss how much but the longer things remain unchanged the less it becomes. I have most of the big packs but I skipped most of the individual packs not because I did not want the mechs but because frankly I did not see what they would add to the game for me. I did pick up the warhammer 20 dollar bundle because I wanted premium time and I did the same for the Kodiak. However I am getting to the point that soon I will not even care about premium time and at that point I think I might be done with the game at least temporarily. Ill linger and wait for any possible game changing changes.

I am sorry if this is overly negative. There are lots of things in the game I like. I have just had a run of bad experiances in the game and it may be coloring my perceptions somewhat.

#115 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 June 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Maybe you should join a team if you find that to be a problem then because the experience is a bit different when you actually play as a team. Expecting everything anything to be worthwhile in PUG queue is a lost cause.

FTFY

Edited by Revis Volek, 01 July 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#116 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

This game is currently a MOBA that was supposed to be far more than that. Honestly though, I'm not too upset about having a mechwarrior MOBA. I'm not going to be awfully upset if things don't change much from the way they are right now. In fact, I actually worry what this new power draw system that Russ and the team is cooking up will do to the game. I'd like to have faith that it will be good, but... PGI's track record when it comes to balancing gives me a gut feeling that this is going to go sideways real bad and just make the game even worse... I'd almost prefer they just didn't do anything to fix high alphas because frankly I don't trust them to do something about them that doesn't just eff things up even more.

#117 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

i stopped buying things like 1 year ago. after i bought almost all heros and packs before i realized they are just f.u.cking with their game in ways i dont like and dont want to support. from deleting maps to changing things over and over again..and to the lack of new real content...i just stopped and i am waiting.

as others said..for me this games its more about the people i play with, the team i play with...the bonds and atmosphere we created. the game had a very promicing start. its just faded away with bad and/or to late decisions....

and its pissing me off just knowing how much potential this franchize has...

#118 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:14 AM

I've been playing the game a few years now; missed the Founders moment because online play wasn't really my style then. I am now, moving from a simple PUG, joining CGBI to learn team play and then BMMU to actually become a decent player. I started slightly before Project Phoenix was released when there were already quite a few salty players. I've been defending the game for a while and now I have arrived at the same point as the disappointed founders.

The chain with disastrous disappointments is too numerous for me to be hopeful than they are capable of improving the game. And I'm quite sure the game will be a lot worse quite soon, because we will have crates (and I will go out on a limb by saying that literally no single player ever suggested crates were wanted, let alone necessary) and a new 'powerdraw system'. I'm no sure what it is and if it indeed will be bad. But it will be bad.

No, it will be awful. After the clan nerfs, the quirks, the subpar or OP mechs, the fixed equipment decision, the long tom, the mappening, and the crates, there is really not a speck of hope that the power draw is going to be any good or even remotely approximating mediocre. Because anyone who signs off on the various tiny disasters that have been implemented lately---and I use the term lately loosely because I actually mean years---has no idea what a tiny disaster looks like and will surely release another. For a while everyone thought that it was IGP forcing bad decisions on the game, but little did we know PGI is quite capable of making bad decisions all by themselves. I canceled what few outstanding orders I have, will probably play quite a bit more because I play in a great unit. We make our own faction warfare because whatever travesty is in the game now is death match with a gate. Might as well have called it Gate Warfare. Nothing that would work towards any long-term reward in obtaining planets is present; FW is nothing more that the small map with blinking planets that prevents you from dropping in a game quickly.

Never though I would but here I am and my opinion is now: the best thing that can happen to MWO is for PGI to fold or for their license to not be renewed. I don't care anymore, either way is fine,

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 02 July 2016 - 06:21 AM.

#119 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:13 AM

Minaimally Viable Buy This MechPack Mechwarrior Attendance E-Sport Online ™

Edited by Imperius, 02 July 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#120 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

I remember back when this all started. Everyone was excited and had fun playing.

Now, not so much

Been gone months and came back to find its the same as it ever was. Russ is still misguided with pie in the sky e-sports dreams and the gameplay is as stale as ever. A lot of people wish for things when it comes to this game. I wish Russ would sell it to someone who either knew what he was doing or actually cared about the players.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users