Where Are All The Archers?

85 replies to this topic

#41 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

Gone because trash. Happens to plenty of mechs.

#42 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:02 AM

I think the mech it's self is fine but it just got shafted on quirks. How does a mech that is mainly an LRM boat get vertually no missile quirks?
All PGI needs to do is up it's Structure quirks a bit and, you know, actually give it missile quirks.

#43 Duymon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Archer is a trash mech. Relying purely on SRMS for all your oomph doesn't work when half your weapon quirks are for LRMs. You can't carry lots of weapons, ammo and even heat sinks when you have to run a std engine to avoid insta-death due to large mad-dog-like side torsos.

You can try boating lasers and heatsinks but what's the point when there are much better mechs for that?

Maybe they need to add in Melee and give it a bigass club like in the cartoon we shall not mention :D

Posted Image

#44 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

BTW this is an other instance of suspiciously close to mech release retcon of a longtime unchanged mech fact.
In old CBT the cockpit of the Archer was in its torso, like it was in the Cyclops.
Gamewise this did not change anything because a critical hit to its head would still take the mech out of the game due to electronics and sensor failure.
But the mech would still be moveable and the the Pilot would survive.

Nope. Neither one had a torso-mounted cockpit. While the positioning was odd on the artwork, they still had a head and the cockpit was inside it, meaning a shot that destroyed the head would obliterate the pilot.

<- played since just before it changed from Battledroids.

#45 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

Archers? Got bigger with the resize, limited quirks compared to other LRM boats (it's sad when you're outdone at your one job by Orions, poorly built for brawling.

That being said, I still use em because I'm a fan, but I'm not selling my Orion-VA any time soon.

#46 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostTercieI, on 30 June 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

It's not very good. People probably mastered them and shelved them. And they got bigger in the rescale.

Yeah they were already mediocre/weak mechs that only really appealed to LRM boaters.

They had weak hitboxes before, post-rescale they are even worse.

Have you heard though, that there is a new Catapult Hero? Also Catapults really came out winners in the rescale.

Mind = blown.

Posted Image

#47 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

Enjoy playing mine. Had a couple out last night even, and T3 still sees plenty on the field (at least games I play.. .killed 2 last night). Tanky as hell with a STD, usually run a big-arsed XL and do well (guess I got some mystery blessed model, don't get the 'made of glass' comments).

Anyhow, as always YMMV and depends on playstyle and pilot preference. Example, people sing the praises of the Warhammer... to this day it's consistently one of my worst mechs. Don't ask me to explain, I've tried every tactic, style, and loadout that I'm solid with in other mechs. I always chuckle a bit, just because you are not good in a chassis doesn't make the chassis bad (especially when there are lots of other people calling the same chassis good).

*shrugs* I say if you do great in a mech, its a damn good mech. ;)

#48 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

What does a Panther, a Vindicator, an Archer and a Victor have in common? They're all terrible mechs.

#49 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

*sigh*

People who trash down about mechs that they brought out of ignorance/ hope/ nostalgia/ based on the stats of mech in the preorder (like quirks) really baffles me.

Ever thought about that it wasnt really a mech for you? Sure PGI can make or break a mech with hiboxes, hardpoints, quirks and so on but so far they have gotten better at that part, but still some way to go of course.
The stats the mechs you buy might change in the future, especially quirks. Its just dumb to base your purchase on that.
And the Archer arent really bad, we are just so sucked up into depending on quirks as crutches which blinds us against the mechs true potential. Same for many others.
But if you cant adjust to the playstyle the mech offers, then you should seek a different one. Its not the mechs fault.

Have to come with an anologue here.
If a rookie tank driver cant handle operating its guns, its his fault and inexperience.

View Postcazidin, on 30 June 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

What does a Panther, a Vindicator, an Archer and a Victor have in common? They're all terrible mechs.

Really? They might need some quirk love but isnt it more that you are a terrible pilot in them? I cant say for the Victor, only piloted the trial Vindicator, which seems decent. But the Panther is really good when you slap in an xl engine and adjust thereafter.
If a veteran drives a tank that he have no experience with its again his inexperience which sets the learning curve.

Edited by Tordin, 30 June 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#50 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostBlack Fish, on 30 June 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

Took a break from MWO just about when the Archer was released (work mostly not out of boredom) so I had really only a few games a week.
But not I've had more time and been playing several games the past few days and I've seen 0 Archers...
I remember the forums was in a state of panic of what will happen to the game with so many missiles hardpoints...
Are they really that bad?

Meta boys prefer other mounts,
LURM boys obviously think that only assaults should lurm.

I've mastered mine, will use them again once my Cyclopses are mastered, I won't be grinding any more after those, so I'll be bringing out my old favourites

#51 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

The Butterbee has cruddy quirks compared to it's sisters, mind you- just +velocity for it's missiles.

The price it pays for getting as many hardpoints as Jagermechs, as apparently 8-hardpoint-a-pults are OP otherwise.

#52 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

If they gave Butterbee or any other hero for that sake, more quirks on top of say, the amount of HP the BB got. Then people will scream PAY 2 WIN MECHS, oh noes!!

Theres a fine balance when it comes to the value and stats of hero mechs.

#53 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

Don't get me started.
I'd bet everyone at PGI wears loafers because they can't tie their shoe's right.
Especially anything that has to do with LRM's
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 30 June 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#54 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

Theres a fine balance when it comes to the value and stats of hero mechs.

Consider that at one time Catapult-K2's were considered so OP, PGI removed two of their energy hardpoints- and then proceeded to leave things that way even as they made Jagermechs 8-hardpoints (never mind the Ebon Jaguar).

Mistakes clearly were made.

#55 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

If you guys are trying to float this boat it's dun sunk. The Archer is a missile Mech, but with so many choices of just as good if not better this Mech has vanished into the back drop. You might see a few more once they are released for C-Bills, but that's about it. If you are going to get worked up over something, make sure it's worth while.Posted Image

#56 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

View Postcazidin, on 30 June 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

Panther is not that bad, you are right that the Vindi is meh, the Archer got screwed on missile quirks even though it's a missile mech. The Victor needs to have it's missile tubes fixed so it can actually use SRMs to brawl, particularly 9S instead of the stupid 2,4,6, set up.

#57 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostBlack Fish, on 30 June 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

Took a break from MWO just about when the Archer was released (work mostly not out of boredom) so I had really only a few games a week.
But not I've had more time and been playing several games the past few days and I've seen 0 Archers...
I remember the forums was in a state of panic of what will happen to the game with so many missiles hardpoints...
Are they really that bad?

The archers are not a good choice for brawling.There are better chassis to run SRM brawlers on. The Low number of missile hardpoints on many variants makes them poorly suited for LRM5 spam and with the general state of the larger launchers severely under performing 3 missile hardpoints isn't enough.

Essentially they are bad SRM carriers and bad LRM carriers so they are rare.

#58 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostLykaon, on 30 June 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

The archers are not a good choice for brawling.There are better chassis to run SRM brawlers on. The Low number of missile hardpoints on many variants makes them poorly suited for LRM5 spam and with the general state of the larger launchers severely under performing 3 missile hardpoints isn't enough.

Essentially they are bad SRM carriers and bad LRM carriers so they are rare.

The 5W, 2R, 5S are good LRM carrier's. You can do the LRM5 spam on both the 5W and 5S and can run 3x ALRM10s with TAG on the 2R very effectively.
You normally don't want to make it into an SRM brawler because of hit boxes. Again though, the 3 varients can run SRMs very well as long as you don't make them the primary weapons.

Edited by Coralld, 30 June 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#59 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

With the way Archers take hits, I hate having them up close with anyone. Yeah, I'll mount some SRMs on a -5W, but that's more for a modicum of point defense vs. wanting to get personal.

Despite having the capacity for ALRM 3x20 on the -2R, it's...not really gonna do it great. 3xALRM10 works, 3xALRM 15 is meh. The Tempest I actually have a pair of large lasers + 2xALRM10- it does more with it's energy mounts than it's limited missile hardpoints (basically two, as the third is CT).

#60 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

Where's the Archer? Vacationing with the Rifleman...

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users