Linebacker Now Available For Pre-Order

138 replies to this topic

#81 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:28 AM

Was really hoping it was going to be the supernova or the nightstar. Oh well another clan mech I will pass on.

#82 Cox Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationTryhard dimension

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

2fast2useless :D

#83 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 07 July 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

Isn't the pouncer a medium 'Mech though?

PGI said we are getting 1 Medium clan 'Mech (atm Viper), 1 Heavy 'Mech (atm Night Gyr), 1 Medium (atm Kingfisher)... that left 1 heavy mech left, has to be an omnimech as well... Linebacker was the only choice left more or less.

Kingfisher is a Assault mech, I think your talking about the Huntsman. Any way, I didn't mean that I thought we would see the Pouncer as the next mech, I simply though we would see the Pouncer before anyone would consider the Linebacker.

I have one friend thats waiting to the Piranha light mech though I'm sure he only wants to see if it crashes the game (12X machine guns moving at 150+ KPH)

#84 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

I really see only a couple uses... 6 SRM packs or a bunch of energy.

Would the Mad Dog be a better choice for missiles? The Linebacker would have 66% of the missiles arm-mounted (low, but agile).

#85 Myj

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 47 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 08 July 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

Further elaborate after the first sentence?

Pretty sure he was just pointing out that people who buy this mech are stupid, just like people who put LRM's on an Atlas are stupid. Then he tried to make the point that if you keep buying these bad mechs then PGI will never learn to stop releasing them. Then he said people are bad at MWO and won't ever be able to be good. I think. Lol! :)

#86 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:51 AM

I'd be closer to buying it if it had a 380 or a 375... it would have more valuable pod space... 16.5 tons on a 65 ton Mech isn't much other than for laser spam.

#87 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

I am finding it very difficult to be excited about this mech. I love most of the mech art PGI has put out, and there are very few 3d models that I think don't do the originals justice (or are just flat-out better).

But this one...

I realize that shoulder-hip thing the Linebacker has wasn't going to happen. That just like the Nova it was going to end up on top of a turntable. But the Linebacker was always supposed to be this squat little thing almost as broad as it was tall. As depicted it is too tall, it isn't wide enough, and the cockpit looks like someone grabbed the front end of nearly any MISC-manufactured vessel from Star Citizen.

On the other hand, that 'special variant' scheme is flat-out amazing. I want it for my other mechs.

#88 BMKA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 105 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChile

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

Looks nice

How about new weapons ?

#89 Cox Devalis

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationTryhard dimension

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Heavy Ice Ferret.

#90 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 08 July 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

They used the line-art, for one thing... all but ripped from art books (which were available at the time). Palladium Books did it too, but they also had full licensing to do so from Harmony Gold for their Robotech RPG.

Look, I'm not going to get into this debate... especially not here. I knew these mechs from Robotech, because that is what I knew of first and that is how I refer to them.

No...they didn't... look the real world timeline doesn't match up.

FASA went to the original japanese sources for the artwork for their game. They did NOT take anything from Harmony's Robotech, or Paladium's Robotech RPG, which btw didn't exist in 1984 when Battletech was created. Macross itself didn't debut on television until 1982. Robotech the tv series didn't debut until 1985, and Paladium's RPG adaptation was in 1986.

Harmony never had a valid license to the artwork for that matter, since they only purchased the international broadcast rights
to the original japanese shows, which they then edited together and changed the dialogue of to fit the new overall story arc of the Robotech universe to broadcast for american TV. This has been confirmed by Japanese court rulings. That they went around claiming they owned the rights and suing other companies didn't magically mean they were correct or telling the truth, as was embarassingly pointed out to them in court when Big West & Studio Nue asserted their rights as the sole owner of character and mecha designs for the original macross series FOURTEEN years ago.

#91 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

What part of "Look, I'm not going to get into this debate... especially not here...." did you not understand?

#92 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 08 July 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

What part of "Look, I'm not going to get into this debate... especially not here...." did you not understand?

The part that made it sound like you were trying to sound correct...

#93 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

So why post about it...wait .... because you wanted to say something and then not respond to counters...

#94 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostSephrus Shanadar, on 08 July 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

Was really hoping it was going to be the supernova or the nightstar. Oh well another clan mech I will pass on.

the Nightstar is an IS mech, just so you know, in the "Marauder" family

Edited by Arkhangel, 08 July 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#95 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

The other stupidity that is Robotech and people with some weird devotion to it, is the ginormous plot hole discrepency between Robotech the tv series and the RPG.. and the original source material. ya know...the whole PROTOCULTURE as an energy source crap... how exactly if the people of earth had no idea what it was, or that the matrix was hidden inside the SDF-1, did they build a vast space fleet and all these mecha, without any understanding of the fuel source supposedly used in them, or access to the means to make more of the engines/generators that accepts this wonder substance.

#96 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

...and yet you are "here". (...getting into a debate)

#97 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:23 PM

View PostAramuside, on 08 July 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

So why post about it...wait .... because you wanted to say something and then not respond to counters...

...or he/she (what ever) did not expect counters because "they" (yeah, that is a "neutral" term) is (?) dumb. Posted Image

...and YES. I have been drinking. (...am drunk.) Posted Image

Edited by Uncle Totty, 08 July 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#98 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

View Postmartian, on 07 July 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

Two 65-tonners:
  • Linebacker - 17.5 tons of pod space available, speed 97 km/h
  • Cauldron-Born - 30 tons of pod space available, speed 86 km/h
I am not sure if 11 km/h is worth 12.5 tons of pod space ...

Thats the CB with speed tweak and the LB without...

It'll be closer to 20 KPH in the end. Heavies that peak 100KPH are quite handy indeed.

#99 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostMyj, on 08 July 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

Pretty sure he was just pointing out that people who buy this mech are stupid, just like people who put LRM's on an Atlas are stupid. Then he tried to make the point that if you keep buying these bad mechs then PGI will never learn to stop releasing them. Then he said people are bad at MWO and won't ever be able to be good. I think. Lol! Posted Image

Your analysis made my day.

#100 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 08 July 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

The other stupidity that is Robotech and people with some weird devotion to it, is the ginormous plot hole discrepency between Robotech the tv series and the RPG.. and the original source material. ya know...the whole PROTOCULTURE as an energy source crap... how exactly if the people of earth had no idea what it was, or that the matrix was hidden inside the SDF-1, did they build a vast space fleet and all these mecha, without any understanding of the fuel source supposedly used in them, or access to the means to make more of the engines/generators that accepts this wonder substance.

(Drunk me BTWPosted Image): Stop it! You're making people THINK! Posted Image

Edited by Uncle Totty, 08 July 2016 - 05:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users