Game License Till 2017?

65 replies to this topic

#1 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

Is that the case?

If so then what will happen after it? will they renew it? or will those who have been trying to predict the shutdown of MWO servers will finally get their predictions right?

or are we going to see someone else picking this up.

My guess is PGI will renew it as they are looking at a single player version of the game as well...

#2 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:07 PM

Ruhsssss said he plans on holding onto the rights for at least a decade in one of the last town halls.

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

Afair they said they have optional the rights till 2020 when the game meets certain Benchmarks...

Oh well:
"As to commitment to the brand I have some news to share with the community that honestly we hadn’t decided yet on how or when we were going to announce it, so let me share it with you here now. On Nov 8th 2013 PGI and Microsoft finalized negotiations on an extension to PGI’s MechWarrior license. Whereas before our license ran out mid 2015 we are now ensured rights until mid-2018 and also if certain criteria is met will have until mid-2020 to continue to develop MechWarrior products including MWO."
http://mwomercs.com/...e-inner-sphere/

Edited by Thorqemada, 20 July 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#4 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

Poor sad sweet little mechwarrior ip. Tortured by your current masters and fans, may you find vigorous rebirth, or a gentle death.

Edited by ComradeHavoc, 20 July 2016 - 10:33 PM.

#5 Alex Gorsky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:02 PM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 20 July 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

Poor sad sweet little mechwarrior ip. Tortured by your current masters and fans, may you find vigorous rebirth, or a gentle death.

glorious death better then life like that...

#6 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostHellJumper, on 20 July 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

My guess is PGI will renew it as they are looking at a single player version of the game as well...

I think the majority of the community have little faith in PGI beeing able to do that. Where is the sense in doing that economically? Its either make this with no real financial benefits for them or keep on creating stuff to sell. Although, a mindles horde mode where i can relaxe with my buddies shootin mixed armed forces would be nice.

#7 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:31 PM

If you do or do not like this you are welcome to buy the rights. Otherwise live with the outcome.

Vote Trump for trite capitalism and over used sayings with really bad hair and a stupid wife.

#8 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:34 PM

View PostKotzi, on 20 July 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

I think the majority of the community have little faith in PGI beeing able to do that. Where is the sense in doing that economically? Its either make this with no real financial benefits for them or keep on creating stuff to sell. Although, a mindles horde mode where i can relaxe with my buddies shootin mixed armed forces would be nice.

well i dont see many other reasons for them to keep this game then.. game modes and map making is non existent here and i dont see them making them in huge numbers (maps, weapons etc) in the coming year...

SO a PVE / single player is somthing they will work on.. and if i am not wrong they did say its in the plans...

Also shooting mindless hordes of stuff can be nice.. a mech warrior fps tower defense mode :D

View PostChuck Jager, on 20 July 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

If you do or do not like this you are welcome to buy the rights. Otherwise live with the outcome.

Vote Trump for trite capitalism and over used sayings with really bad hair and a stupid wife.

that is if the rights are available to be bought... its completely possible that by the end of the current term license microsoft decides not to renew it nor sell it further...

#9 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostHellJumper, on 20 July 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

that is if the rights are available to be bought... its completely possible that by the end of the current term license microsoft decides not to renew it nor sell it further...

Everything can be bought. It only takes money and a damn good lawyer plus a spin doctor to help folks think you are doing it for them. If you can not do this you get to live with the results. This has been my experience not my philosophy.

#10 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:40 PM

View PostChuck Jager, on 20 July 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

I would crowdfund. And again, i would say most of the community would crowdfund the living sh... for a great Mechwarrior game.

View PostHellJumper, on 20 July 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

well i dont see many other reasons for them to keep this game then.. game modes and map making is non existent here and i dont see them making them in huge numbers (maps, weapons etc) in the coming year...

SO a PVE / single player is somthing they will work on.. and if i am not wrong they did say its in the plans...

Also shooting mindless hordes of stuff can be nice.. a mech warrior fps tower defense mode Posted Image

No reasons? Mechpacks seem to be selling quite good. Of course you dont see a lot of new maps or new game modes. You dont pay for them. I rather think they hold to the ip because there is still some money to be made. Better keep the cash flowing than having to invest into a new game.

#11 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

View PostKotzi, on 20 July 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

I would crowdfund. And again, i would say most of the community would crowdfund the living sh... for a great Mechwarrior game.

No reasons? Mechpacks seem to be selling quite good. Of course you dont see a lot of new maps or new game modes. You dont pay for them. I rather think they hold to the ip because there is still some money to be made. Better keep the cash flowing than having to invest into a new game.

Crowd Funding is whitewashing the fence. it is the spin doctor that I talked about, so I get credit for it. It is no different than getting investors in a business, just spin. If you can do it, go for it. If not live with it. It is about the money involved and its ability to make money not the life of a game. Hell Wizards is having trouble with D&D.

#12 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

Sorry i cant make any sense out of your argument. English is not my primary language. What exactly is your point?

#13 Kai Lui

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • LocationChoas March

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

sorry guys..... http://battletechgame.com/

Microsoft and found of FASA are makeing that....

#14 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 20 July 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

Ruhsssss said he plans on holding onto the rights for at least a decade in one of the last town halls.

Planning is one thing... being able of doing it quite another

#15 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostKai Lui, on 25 October 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Microsoft, other than being the owners of the digital rights, is doing nothing with HBS and the turn based game.

#16 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

I wonder if there is a Microsoft dude responsible for dealing with PGI/MWO.

#17 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostKai Lui, on 25 October 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

..only, that doesn't cover the live action, sim, or fps crowd demands.

It's turn based. While yes, it IS more true to 3025 BT, it's still more of a whiz-bang e-board game.
Now, that said, I'll prob give it a whirl when I'm not feeling a pvp, tired, or just between games. But I still don't get all the forum posts like "once the BT game drops MWO will be dead and deserted!"

I mean, two totally, completely different game types/genre.

#stillconfused

#18 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 25 October 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

I wonder if there is a Microsoft dude responsible for dealing with PGI/MWO.

Gonna try to put in a bad word for the current rights holder?

I wouldn't bother. Fans of every game do that.

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 20 July 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

Afair they said they have optional the rights till 2020 when the game meets certain Benchmarks...

Oh well:
"As to commitment to the brand I have some news to share with the community that honestly we hadn’t decided yet on how or when we were going to announce it, so let me share it with you here now. On Nov 8th 2013 PGI and Microsoft finalized negotiations on an extension to PGI’s MechWarrior license. Whereas before our license ran out mid 2015 we are now ensured rights until mid-2018 and also if certain criteria is met will have until mid-2020 to continue to develop MechWarrior products including MWO."
http://mwomercs.com/...e-inner-sphere/

This explains really well a whole lot of things with regard to PGI's questionable actions -- or lack of it -- during that time.

Edited by Mystere, 25 October 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#20 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 25 October 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

Gonna try to put in a bad word for the current rights holder?

I wouldn't bother. Fans of every game do that.

I would anyway.

Due diligence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users