Disappointed With Supply Caches :/

54 replies to this topic

#41 TTDeadsayer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

I have one thing to say about supply caches: They are complete and total ********.

To elaborate:

The chances of getting anything good out of them are very small. It's like gambling. You spend $25 MC to get one random item out of a number of items. You don't know what you're actually going to get and it's far more likely that you'll get something entirely useless (I just won the arm of a kit fox or something and I don't even play clan mechs. Go PGI!) than anything actually useful or worthwhile. I think if PGI wants to remove all the useless crap from the supply caches and have the outcome be guaranteed to be something worthwhile to varying degrees (1000 MC, mech bays, useful modules (not **** like artillery accuracy) and mechs and cache keys, then it might be worth the MC to gamble on what you're going to get. As it stands, these supply caches are stupid.

#42 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

If everyone was to be satisfied playing slots, Vegas and Nevada would go bankrupt.

#43 TTDeadsayer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:19 AM

This is nothing like Vegas or Reno. PGI loses nothing by giving away mechs or anything else they charge MC for. It costs them nothing. If they're going to charge MC for the keys, they need to make the possible rewards much more worthwhile.

#44 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:06 AM

As usual pgi is getting it wrong... mechanics like this is to raffle off cosmetics.. not in game items you can get for free..

#45 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:22 AM

View PostTTDeadsayer, on 13 August 2016 - 01:19 AM, said:

This is nothing like Vegas or Reno. PGI loses nothing by giving away mechs or anything else they charge MC for. It costs them nothing. If they're going to charge MC for the keys, they need to make the possible rewards much more worthwhile.

No, by giving away good / better stuff, they lose the opportunity of a person paying MC / Cbills for it.

Edited by Chuanhao, 13 August 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#46 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:13 AM

One of my cache contains a lump of coal. Lol

I just looked at it and thought, PGI can't be serious. Posted Image

#47 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:51 AM

View PostTTDeadsayer, on 12 August 2016 - 08:40 PM, said:

I have one thing to say about supply caches: They are complete and total ********.

To elaborate:

The chances of getting anything good out of them are very small. It's like gambling. You spend $25 MC to get one random item out of a number of items. You don't know what you're actually going to get and it's far more likely that you'll get something entirely useless (I just won the arm of a kit fox or something and I don't even play clan mechs. Go PGI!) than anything actually useful or worthwhile. I think if PGI wants to remove all the useless crap from the supply caches and have the outcome be guaranteed to be something worthwhile to varying degrees (1000 MC, mech bays, useful modules (not **** like artillery accuracy) and mechs and cache keys, then it might be worth the MC to gamble on what you're going to get. As it stands, these supply caches are stupid.

This is why your decision to open it or not should be based on the WORST thing it has to offer.

#48 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:34 AM

I'm disappointed with not winning the Lottery. However, I realize before buying a ticket that my odds are extremely poor. Learn the lesson of the lottery

#49 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

Had a handful today from the event and from my "spend $6.95 to keep the lights on" weekend sale on MC.

Prizes:
- A narc
- A Clan AMS
- A Clan Narc
- 2 Large Pulse Lasers - twice!
- 250,000 cbills

That's 4 + 2 from the event and from the small mc purchase.

Ever single one of them produced the lowest or nearly the lowest possible outcome in value. I also sold one I won in a match because the lowest prize was... a medium laser, which means that's what I probably would have "won."

So, yeah. Decent idea, horrible implementation, as is par for the course with these type of things.

#50 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostChuanhao, on 13 August 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

No, by giving away good / better stuff, they lose the opportunity of a person paying MC / Cbills for it.

Except that they don't if they are just giving away mechs that already available for cbills anyway.

Consider if they gave away a random mech I don't have. If you give me a mech, maybe I'll buy the other two variants. Maybe I'll need mech bays to do that. Maybe - just maybe - I'll be short on cbills and will spend some MC to get the other two.

Now, I fully admit that in most cases, even giving away a free mech is still not going to generate any more revenue for PGI... in most case, but not all. But it is 100% guaranteed that giving me a NARC or a pile of large pulse lasers will never generate any extra revenue for PGI since there's nowhere to go with them that would encourage actual money being spent.

Edited by oldradagast, 13 August 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#51 Lungbutter

• Pip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostChuanhao, on 13 August 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

People would be more inclined to spend money on MC to buy keys if the prizes were worth it, and people will spend MC on things that require you to spend MC for them regardless of whether or not they are available in the supply caches. And also, yes, C-Bill items most certainly do not cost them anything at all.

#52 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:54 AM

The cache's content highly favors the least desirable - the items we see are NOT given equal chances during the spin.

PGI is highly disingenuous at presenting the content in a way that suggests everything has equal odds when in fact, it's more like a roulette where that mech is equivalent of picking the exact number and that SRM2 is you picking the color.

Don't open cache expecting to win the grand prize. Sell it or use keys given to you freely.

#53 amenophis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

Well so far I've had good luck with this. I've just resold the things I didn't want to keep and for the most part I have gotten back more than the 50,000 you get fore outright selling the whole thing. So if you resell all the resellable stuff you should come ahead in c-bills. I have no problems with these or how they work it.
Don't forget except for the key (which cost very little) the rest is free stuff.

Edited by amenophis, 14 August 2016 - 06:02 PM.

#54 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

Problem i see is they give away the worse item almost every time. People would be happy if they gave out the medium items 90% of the time and the worse and best 10% of the time. Even if they had to increase the cost to 50mc people would like this more.

Posted Image

#55 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostCoolant, on 13 August 2016 - 06:34 AM, said:

I'm disappointed with not winning the Lottery. However, I realize before buying a ticket that my odds are extremely poor. Learn the lesson of the lottery

Well that's another issue. I have to keep telling people they're odds are not 1 in 8 for the top prize on the TS server. Even a slot machine will tell you the odds of winning the top prize.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 14 August 2016 - 06:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users