413 replies to this topic

#41 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

Why are you publicly posting an unlisted video? Seems... like this really should only be for backers? I mean, not even 24 hours?

Anyways - hits feel solid, gameplay feels tight. Really good progress for alpha, but turn based isn't my thing, although it does flow a lot better than most turn based games. And I'm actually surprised how easy and intuitive moving mechs around the field is, and how nice the combat feels... I might just have to board the ship.

I guess no one is going to complain about the unlisting sharing, because the alpha is so well done. There’s nothing really to make it look bad… But you know how this forum is…

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 04 August 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#42 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 04 August 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

And I am fracking stoked!

All I can say is they should really have taken a page from Creative Assembly. A turn-based Battletech/Mechwarrior game is not what I would expect in 2016.

Edited by Mystere, 04 August 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#43 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 04 August 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

Why are you publicly posting an unlisted video? Seems... like this really should only be for backers? I mean, not even 24 hours?

I thought that too at first when I saw it on the Battletech forum under "General Discussion" since that is open to all visitors, but the moderators didn't move or close the thread (they even commented in it), so I assume they are ok with it being shown around. Then again, maybe they found out about it too late to do anything about it also. Who knows.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 04 August 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#44 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

And did you see that mission they were playing? Take the salvage base and defend it until a friendly dropship loads and departs.

I wish we had missions like that.

#45 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

Does anyone think the late early backer price of $25 will be cheaper than when the game launches? If so I will probably pick it up now as apposed to waiting like I was planning. I would have backed earlier but my bro didn't tell me he backed the kickstarter.

#46 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 04 August 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

Does anyone think the late early backer price of $25 will be cheaper than when the game launches? If so I will probably pick it up now as apposed to waiting like I was planning. I would have backed earlier but my bro didn't tell me he backed the kickstarter.

Games don't just have one price these days.
This game will have microtransactions - and backers will probably get access to some of those early transactions for free.

I would expect that you'll be able to play the game by paying $25 later, but that the $25 paid now will lead to additional content for free later - that's generally how it goes.

#47 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 04 August 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

Sorry MWO but I'm leaving you (when this comes out).

Yeah, can't wait - and I'm sure will see additional TRO's added down the line.

#48 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 04 August 2016 - 07:43 AM, said:

Games don't just have one price these days.
This game will have microtransactions - and backers will probably get access to some of those early transactions for free.

According to HBS, their game will NOT have micro transactions. This was answered in their Kickstarter page rather early in the funding process.

https://www.kickstar...ech/description

From the Q&A portion of the page...

Q: "Will there be microtransactions? How much will the game cost when it comes out?"

A: "BATTLETECH will be a premium title with a retail price of up to $40, depending on the number of Funding Stages our Backers unlock during this Kickstarter. It will not contain microtransactions."

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 04 August 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#49 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

View PostAloha, on 04 August 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

What I would love to see, though, would be a pilot POV. Especially during a battle. Seeing the mechs move around is cute, but seeing the mechs move around from the pilot's POV (like in the cockpit in MWO) would be awesome! It'll be kinda like combining MWO and TT, with no twitch shooting skill required.

Interesting idea, no reason this could not be done. Also zoom-in scenes during walk, weapons firing and weapons hit could be added. It could be made spectacular to watch.

#50 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:56 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 04 August 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

According to HBS, their game will NOT have micro transactions. This was answered in their Kickstarter page rather early in the funding process.

https://www.kickstar...ech/description

From the Q&A portion of the page...

Q: "Will there be microtransactions? How much will the game cost when it comes out?"

A: "BATTLETECH will be a premium title with a retail price of up to $40, depending on the number of Funding Stages our Backers unlock during this Kickstarter. It will not contain microtransactions."

Looks like I better pull the trigger.

#51 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 04 August 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

Price does not matter so much for fans, what really matters is the quality of the game, If it makes me dream then I will buy it.

#52 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostDavers, on 04 August 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

I liked it. Reminded me of all the TT games I've played.

Badass assault mech taken out in round 2 of the combat with a lucky shot? Check.

Light mechs getting behind everyone and coring out their backs? Check.

But it did seem that they were more accurate than usual, but that could be to pilot trees/experienced pilots.

pretty sure they were using "elite" pilots...as a demo of everyone missing would be less exciting.... (though Myrmidon couldn't land 2 PPCs for anything), plus it might be offputting to our church of skill, click a pixel aiming for dummies MWO crowd to have a game where hitting something is actually hard.

#53 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

I did it because Harebrained Schemes is for a limited time opening up a digital only option to be an early backer. I mean no disrespect to PGI or Harebrained but if I can get some more money into the pockets of mech game designers perhaps it will benefit all. I know MWO and this game will be worlds apart, one being a twitch the other turn based :)

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Anyways - hits feel solid, gameplay feels tight. Really good progress for alpha, but turn based isn't my thing, although it does flow a lot better than most turn based games. And I'm actually surprised how easy and intuitive moving mechs around the field is, and how nice the combat feels... I might just have to board the ship.

I guess no one is going to complain about the unlisting sharing, because the alpha is so well done. There’s nothing really to make it look bad… But you know how this forum is…

they posted no disclaimers on the video, and are commenting themselves on the openly accessible forums for Battletech. They are also showing it and other such stuff to the GenPop at the Con they are at. As such, I believe they are happy for the promotion of their game, and the number of late backer orders it has already generated.

If they say anything about it, I' will gladly edit it out of my topic (posted before this one) which contains it. But since I have gotten at least 4 friends to buy in with this video, I really doubt that is what HBS wants.

#55 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 August 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

pretty sure they were using "elite" pilots...as a demo of everyone missing would be less exciting.... (though Myrmidon couldn't land 2 PPCs for anything), plus it might be offputting to our church of skill, click a pixel aiming for dummies MWO crowd to have a game where hitting something is actually hard.

The player doesn't do the shooting, he/she just commands a character to do the shooting. It isn't hard for us, just occasionally nerve racking when the RNG gods don't shine down on us lol.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that too much, I'm just saying :)

#56 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 04 August 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

The player doesn't do the shooting, he/she just commands a character to do the shooting. It isn't hard for us, just occasionally nerve racking when the RNG gods don't shine down on us lol.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that too much, I'm just saying Posted Image

call it what you will. But when the RNG gods regularly need you to roll a 9 or higher on 2d6, with your elite warrior to hit that running light mech at range..... I would call it a low probability, or HARD, action.

#57 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Okay so I backed it. I could use another leisure game to kill time with so hopefully this will be more interesting than Hearthstone.

#58 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 August 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

call it what you will. But when the RNG gods regularly need you to roll a 9 or higher on 2d6, with your elite warrior to hit that running light mech at range..... I would call it a low probability, or HARD, action.

Just the way I see it...

We as the roller need to be lucky. The less the probability, the luckier we need to be to pull it off. There will probably come a point where we will need to determine if the cost of a failed outcome might leave us exposed or vulnerable (a missed shot causing a bad heat spike, etc...)

To me, the actual "hard" shot is imaginary in that the character has to make that tricky shot and land it. Really, me as the player, the hard part is more the choices I make and not the actual rolling of a dice. That part is all up to luck and by imagination, up to the character concentrating in his/her cockpit, gripping the "stick", and squeezing that trigger hoping that round hits where it needs to be.

In an FPS, I have to take on both those rolls. The decision to take a gamble and the actual skill to line up my cross hair and take that shot. MWO tries to add some weight to those decisions like no respawns, but the weight of the decision is rather light. Still, I suppose it is more costly than a game like CoD :/.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Like most things, it is an opinion that can be debated. It's just how I see it.

#59 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

My understanding of the video being released is that they emailed it to all their backers so they knew of it and could revel in the pre-pre-pre-alpha of the game, and then they also posted it themselves or didn't mind a backer posting it on forums to spread the news to generate more backers.

As for backers the more the merrier. The more money the more work can be done with higher'ing of more developers or support for future games or maybe even unspoken features (that last one unlikely but you never know right?).

#60 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

That looks pretty good for early alpha. Losing that Atlas to a head shot so early on though, that's rough. I've lost good pilots and good mechs that way myself, but it's awesome when you're the one that gets the lucky shot instead, especially on the first volley. It means an almost pristine mech for salvage and all you have to replace is the head/cockpit. Tough to beat that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users