316 replies to this topic

#121 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

Microsoft should just reclaim the licence already and sell it someone else, I want another company give this a go. Posted Image

#122 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

As it's the only really new things happening in the game of course it gets the most attention.

If there was anything else new it'd get similar attention.

#123 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 04 August 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

120 posts and 6 pages of mostly giddy excitement, in about 2 hrs since Bishop posted this, all because of another mech they are selling.

Are we reading the same thread, I've seen more meh than excitement, and more arguing about who is the bigger BT nerd that either of those combined?

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 04 August 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#124 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostStryker Ezekiel, on 04 August 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Microsoft should just reclaim the licence already and sell it someone else, I want another company give this a go. Posted Image

I have a feeling PGI is kind of our last bet for MechWarrior, I mean even Microsoft was hesitant to give it another go, after the recpetion they got over the last Mech Assault... Now don't get me wrong Mech Assault games were fun, but they were hardly Battle Tech / Mech Warrior... And I think they may have done much better if they were not even making a weak attempt at trying to relate to the source material, but were a completely new IP.

#125 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 04 August 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Only it fires in bursts, not shotgun clusters...wait a minute *looks at cUAC/20*.

I think it fires in one long stream without the PEW PEW PEW like cUACs are in this game. It's more like PEEEEEEEEEEEEW.

#126 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 04 August 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Only it fires in bursts, not shotgun clusters...wait a minute *looks at cUAC/20*.

It would be a better CUAC20 thanks to the range and faster bullet velocity.

#127 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

Something capable of 40 damage should be firing a streaming barrage of gauss-bullets. Same reason MRMs shouldn't splat out a cloud of unguided deathrockets.

#128 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 04 August 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

It would be a better CUAC20 thanks to the range and faster bullet velocity.

No doubt. They'd have to space the rounds out to really mess it up.

#129 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 04 August 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Something capable of 40 damage should be firing a streaming barrage of gauss-bullets. Same reason MRMs shouldn't splat out a cloud of unguided deathrockets.

Tell that to the Kuritan designers who basically just saw a medieval riabault and went "yeah that looks good".

#130 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 04 August 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Tell that to the Kuritan designers who basically just saw a medieval riabault and went "yeah that looks good".

Always viewed HAGs as a sort of Metal Storm weapon system. A stream of smaller projectiles.

#131 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 August 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Always viewed HAGs as a sort of Metal Storm weapon system. A stream of smaller projectiles.

I was referring to the MRMs he mentioned. HAG is what you imagine it to be. Just one constant stream of projectiles fired in 20, 30, or 40 round bursts.

#132 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 04 August 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

I think it fires in one long stream without the PEW PEW PEW like cUACs are in this game. It's more like PEEEEEEEEEEEEW.

Same, but in order to keep server load down and because the TT directions on how it plays make this convenient, I expect it would just fire a number of rounds equal to the rating divided by five.

#133 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 04 August 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

I have a feeling PGI is kind of our last bet for MechWarrior, I mean even Microsoft was hesitant to give it another go, after the recpetion they got over the last Mech Assault... Now don't get me wrong Mech Assault games were fun, but they were hardly Battle Tech / Mech Warrior... And I think they may have done much better if they were not even making a weak attempt at trying to relate to the source material, but were a completely new IP.

Honestly I think if there were to be another PvP stompy robot game like this, they would just be better off with a new IP. There are many troubles with translating Battletech to the traditional FPS structure (same number of players per team, no player should be forced to play a less optimal mech just to satisfy diversity, etc, etc).

It does make for a good strategy game like MechCommander or the new Battletech game, as well as a single player FPS.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 04 August 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#134 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

Main things that bug me are the FP is dieing on its feet, we have no new weapon systems and reworked maps that didnt need reworking instead of fresh stuff.

Thats how you sell mech packs, with game content go with them.

#135 Dreammirror

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

Unless they give that thing some SERIOUS ER PPC heat quirks, it will be worthless. The mech was a brute in tabletop because it could handle it's heat mostly. So guess we'll see.

Edited by Dreammirror, 04 August 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#136 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Oh cool. Because we haven't had enough assaults and heavies and mediums lately. When do we get a new god damned light 'mech? Wallet closed.

#137 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 04 August 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

They're in the arms. One crit spills into the torso.

lol l2fanboy

or fanboi harder....
Posted Image
it doesn't have lower arm actuators.

All crits in the arms.

#138 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

**** me it ate my post. Let's see if I can edit this to have it back in.

View PostBud Crue, on 04 August 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

120 posts and 6 pages of mostly giddy excitement, in about 2 hrs since Bishop posted this

Wat? What thread have you been reading? I'm seeing mostly "meh" with one or two "yay!" but mostly meh.

I'm in the same boat tbh. It's not even about it being another Clan mech. This makes 6 IS (Alpha Lance and Cyke+Jean) and 6 Clan (4 Omnis, Care Bear, and MAD IIC) since they went to the 1 mech/month format, so fair enough. But it's also another assault, and that makes 9 of the last 12 that are heavy or assault. Notice the Clans have gotten 2 M, 2 H, and 2 A.... gee, what's missing?

And who really thinks they'll stop the IICs with just the MAD, considering it'll drop in December 2016 and the original MAD was December 2015? So after that we get WHM IIC, RFL IIC, and... maybe PHX IIC? So that's September to March/April without any IS mechs, and 12-18 months with no new lights. Posted Image

This might be the first pack I pass on entirely since I joined the game, which is sad. But while Alex's art looks great as always it's just... too repetitive.

Edited by Archangel.84, 04 August 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#139 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

View Postjss78, on 04 August 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

If I understand Russ's tweet correctly, they sold 25,000 IS Marauder packs. Damn right it drives the game, and probably drives it very well.

Spoiler

"IS package owners". Posted Image

Anyway, I liked your post because it provides hard data and confirms what I suspected - they went for their bestseller - not because I actually like what I read.

I mean, yes the Marauder sold well. It is an icon of BT. It is the icon. But that does not mean I buy everything with MAD in its name - not when considering all the other options that could have been done. This is lazy and boring.

The worst thing is that I did not expect that from PGI. I always respected them because they sometimes dared venturing beyond the beaten tracks. The Viper was bold choice e.g.

#140 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 04 August 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

"IS package owners". Posted Image

Anyway, I liked your post because it provides hard data and confirms what I suspected - they went for their bestseller - not because I actually like what I read.

I mean, yes the Marauder sold well. It is an icon of BT. It is the icon. But that does not mean I buy everything with MAD in its name - not when considering all the other options that could have been done. This is lazy and boring.

The worst thing is that I did not expect that from PGI. I always respected them because they sometimes dared venturing beyond the beaten tracks. The Viper was bold choice e.g.

Yeah, I actually did say "IS Marauder packs". I guess what Russ is going for is that if IS people went that crazy over the MAD, so would the clanners (he'd probably settle for the clanners going half as crazy about it).

My worst fear right now is that the next IS 'mech will be the Marauder II. That'll sell like hotcakes too, right? And that we won't see another light 'mech until 2017. Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users