Power Draw Is Fine - But Gauss Charge Needs To Be Put Back.

55 replies to this topic

#1 Sader325

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Gauss Charge needs to be put back in.

Everything else is fine.

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

Only if they take the charge time off of the cooldown.

#3 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

This change punishes everyone who took the time and effort to learn the charge mechanic, for what is, a very rewarding rifle, and dumbs it down for the masses.

Charging requires time, skill, estimation and thinking. Now all you do is point and click. Even COD is harder. It has turned one of the most unique rifles in MWO into a #360noscopeblazeit420 rifle

#4 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

No, it shouldn't. :)

Only the 2 Gauss limit is silly, there have to be found some kind of a more intelligent solution.

#5 zeves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

please, all gauss users have macros, although timing was involved it was faar from a heavy skill weapon. as the ppc should be but has been nerfed a long time ago to obscurity.
on a side note: RIP QUAD GAUSS DIRE, i will miss your shenanigans.
No logic behind this nerf at all, as it was a fair tradeoff, and by their own system would actually shut down the direwolf, or maby 3 gauss build would be to OP.

Edited by zeves, 18 August 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#6 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

View Postzeves, on 18 August 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

please, all gauss users have macros, although timing was involved it was faar from a heavy skill weapon. as the ppc should be but has been nerfed a long time ago to obscurity.
No logic behind this nerf at all, as it was a fair tradeoff, and by their own system would actually shut down the direwolf, or maby 3 gauss build would be to OP.

I have used macros on the 4x gauss dire it was fun but not a sniper. Real gauss players use the split second of the "full charged" time to line up shots. You cant get this with a macro.

#7 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

Ok, GR charge up back and a try on charge up on ERPPCs (with PPCs having no charge up).

#8 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

If you bothered to even learn the weapon, you would have realised that its far more advantageous to just charge, and not to use a macro, especially in the higher tiers, where people don't just stand still, but move. The main advantage of charge is ammunition conservation, because if they move or hide in that 0.75s, you can re-line your shots, or just hold it and let the charge dissipate.

Its the ones without skill that think we use macros.

Edited by KBurn85, 18 August 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#9 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:33 PM

I use Gauss rifles, never used a macro. It's only bads that can't figure out how to hold/release a charge.

#10 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

The discussion here reminds me on when when in Warhammer (the tabletop) the 8th edition took away the necessity to guess distances and all the grognards were claiming, their guessing had anything to do with tactics.

#11 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

View PostKuaron, on 18 August 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

The discussion here reminds me on when when in Warhammer (the tabletop) the 8th edition took away the necessity to guess distances and all the grognards were claiming, their guessing had anything to do with tactics.

That's not a very good point, considering the GW eliminated the whole game after that.

Many like this game because it requires learning and skill, and now it's going down the well-trodden path of CoD

#360noscopeblazeit420

#12 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:45 PM

Off topic, but I'd have to make this clear: The 8th was an epic fail and lacked tactics, indeed, but it's problem was not that it didn't segregate people who can guess in inches better from those who can worse.
Same here: Not requiring the "skill" to time your pressing and releasing a button precisely doesn't make the game worse, it depends on entirely different things.

Edited by Kuaron, 18 August 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#13 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:04 PM

For me, the addition of the Gauss charge kinda killed one of my favorite playstyles. I used to hop around in my BJ-1 in a Shadowcat mimic build, and it was a pretty nice hit and run mech. It wasn't so good at close range, but it was fast and had max JJ, so it could get in and out really well, and the gauss without the charge mechanic made dispatching pursuers much easier.

While the guass charge didn't kill the build, it did make it feel rather clunky and just ruined the fun of the build for me.

So I'm pretty happy that the charge is gone, and I personally hope it stays gone.

#14 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Just throwing this out:

View PostHit the Deck, on 18 August 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

How about:
  • 1 GR -> no charge up
  • 2 GRs and more -> the charge up time is increasing in length the more GRs you want to fire at a time, for example: 2 GRs -> 0.75s of charge up, 3 GRs -> 1.5s of charge up, and so on. Those numbers are completely made up and just to show how it could work.
Remove the hard cap to the number of GRs which can be mounted on a 'Mech.

#15 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

Nah. Gauss charge-up is not something to learn as a skill. Gauss Rifles are just mech rifles, they were never powerful enough to use as a Sniper Rifle unless you paired two together, but then they weighed too much and only a select group of mechs can carry two which left all the other mechs with no Gauss Rifle and no Sniper Rifle. That's not balanced. It ruined the Gauss for most mechs. The Highlander, Victor, Marauder, Mad Cat, Thor, Nova, Shadow Cat, and, you get it, most of the mechs in Battle Tech suddenly get the Gauss Rifle restored to their load-outs. No, this is the way it has to be.

No Charge-up, balance in some other way if needed.

#16 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 August 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

Nah. Gauss charge-up is not something to learn as a skill. Gauss Rifles are just mech rifles, they were never powerful enough to use as a Sniper Rifle unless you paired two together, but then they weighed too much and only a select group of mechs can carry two which left all the other mechs with no Gauss Rifle and no Sniper Rifle. That's not balanced. It ruined the Gauss for most mechs. The Highlander, Victor, Marauder, Mad Cat, Thor, Nova, Shadow Cat, and, you get it, most of the mechs in Battle Tech suddenly get the Gauss Rifle restored to their load-outs. No, this is the way it has to be.

No Charge-up, balance in some other way if needed.

Plenty of people in the higher tiers use the gauss in those mechs you listed... One of the staple TW builds is gauss vomit...

#17 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostKBurn85, on 18 August 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Plenty of people in the higher tiers use the gauss in those mechs you listed... One of the staple TW builds is gauss vomit...

A single Gauss Rifle does not do enough damage to require a charge mechanic. Doesn't matter what players do in tier one. Balance the Gauss in some other way like recycle rate. 2x Gauss may require some tinkering since they do 30 damage for 30 power draw. Heat Scale? Power Draw? At any rate a single Gauss should never be restricted with a charge-up.

#18 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 August 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

A single Gauss Rifle does not do enough damage to require a charge mechanic. Doesn't matter what players do in tier one. Balance the Gauss in some other way like recycle rate. 2x Gauss may require some tinkering since they do 30 damage for 30 power draw. Heat Scale? Power Draw? At any rate a single Gauss should never be restricted with a charge-up.

Doesn't mean that if you don't have the skill to use single gauss, everyone should suffer.

http://metamechs.com...es/timber-wolf/

Literally the first build.

#19 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

It's real easy to hit light mechs without the charge up. As someone who identifies as a light mech enthusiast, this dismays me. I picked off a locust going full speed and I don't even consider it a difficult shot.

With the poptart meta slowly creeping back into the regular servers, this change will only make it worse.

#20 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

Anyone else here disgusted by all the "skill" elitism in the recent Gauss threads?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users