102 replies to this topic

#21 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:31 PM

I should have mentioned.... They said they were planning to make the minimap zoomable (finally).

So the minimap redesign could also have to do with the longer term enabling of that feature.

#22 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:36 PM

View PostAppogee, on 23 August 2016 - 11:31 PM, said:

I should have mentioned.... They said they were planning to make the minimap zoomable (finally).

So the minimap redesign could also have to do with the longer term enabling of that feature.

"We are planning to upgrade all the vehicles to hover craft in the near future. For now, we'll just remove one of your 4 wheels."

Given there's nothing about it in the next few months worth of road map, I don't think breaking the mini map now is a good idea regardless what fantastic final version would come out it all.

#23 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:37 PM

Great.

Maybe put that in at the same time and give us the map that still worked while it's not finished?

View PostSQW, on 23 August 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

"We are planning to upgrade all the vehicles to hover craft in the near future. For now, we'll just remove one of your 4 wheels."

Given there's nothing about it in the next few months worth of road map, I don't think breaking the mini map now is a good idea regardless what fantastic final version would come out it all.

Beat me to it with the analogy.

#24 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostWhiplash Wally, on 23 August 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

Plus the zoom is so far out the new directional arrows are pretty much useless unless you waste a UAV spotting a single mech.

directional arrows only work when you have launched a UAV or its narc'd

#25 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

Many of grid coordinate now are hard to see. I'm sorry but what's up with color palette on the new minimap? it's like a puke and not appealing to see.

#26 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostCathy, on 23 August 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

directional arrows only work when you have launched a UAV or its narc'd

UAV only right now. They took the feature out of the narc when they last patched the mini map.

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 23 August 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

Many of grid coordinate now are hard to see. I'm sorry but what's up with color palette on the new minimap? it's like a puke and not appealing to see.

The E line on Mining Collective is a nightmare. I might have to think about actually using that damn wheel.

#27 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:15 AM

View PostSQW, on 24 August 2016 - 12:08 AM, said:

UAV only right now. They took the feature out of the narc when they last patched the mini map.

I'm curious why the NARC would at all, and if the NARC did, why the TAG didnt - neither are actually capable of such a thing from an operational standpoint.

UAV makes sense, though.

#28 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:29 AM

Classic PGI move. Changing a zoomed in Minimap, which everyone got used to, to a less zoomed in minimap, rending the minimap and the battlegrid useless as it is more irritating than helping and guess what, bright transparent letters on a bright background are harder to see if you didnt know before, just to make it zoomable, in which case everybody will use the same setting as it was in the beginning anyways. Why not making issuing orders and accessing the battlegrid more convinient and faster? Too hard?

Edited by Kotzi, 24 August 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#29 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:35 AM

Narc is a homing beacon. Given that it has the tech to broadcast its location, it wouldn't take much for a battle computer to extrapolate heading/facing based on last location update. Since TAG already require LOS, you can argue any radar lock from friendlies should also give heading info - wouldn't make sense for a TAG equipped mech to suddenly gain this extra ability.

Too bad. My favorite tactic was narc a big mech and run around a building for back shots because I always knew his facing. Posted Image

#30 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:43 AM

Um... why is it tough to say wheter your enemy blipped for a second in c4 or was it d4?

Oh Boy, PGI done it again.

#31 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:50 AM

View PostSQW, on 24 August 2016 - 12:35 AM, said:

Narc is a homing beacon. Given that it has the tech to broadcast its location, it wouldn't take much for a battle computer to extrapolate heading/facing based on last location update. Since TAG already require LOS, you can argue any radar lock from friendlies should also give heading info - wouldn't make sense for a TAG equipped mech to suddenly gain this extra ability.

Too bad. My favorite tactic was narc a big mech and run around a building for back shots because I always knew his facing. Posted Image

Heading yes... facing? eehhhhhhhh... I'm not convinced. A TAG could also make this determination by computing the changes in distance and torso movements of the marking Mech... If we want to get creative.

#32 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:32 AM

Hmm, to be honest, I never noticed whether the old narc was showing torso facing or leg facing - usually when someone's hiding around the corner, he/she is point the say direction as the legs.

#33 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:19 AM

Reading the forum is more fun than playing the game...

And i always go away feeling like im not missing a thing by not playing...

Seems i don't need a high end pc to enjoy mwo because amobile phone is enough haha

#34 The_Dane

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

While I understand what they were trying to go for (more topographical detail), I found it near impossible to read the grids on my mini map on the frozen maps. Also, the grid numbers\letters seem smaller, mebbe? Not real old guy friendly.

Maybe try a bright green, or orange for the grid coordinates?

#35 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

White bold letter with black outline works on any background.

This is stone age tech for people in the signage/graphic business and I'm surprised MWO is trying to reinvent the wheel with its less capable staff. If only when PGI traded its Mech asset to HBS, it asked for a few hours of seminar on game design in return.

#36 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

Far to many players were tweeting Russ stating that team work, communication, calling out grids and enemy mechs within them, Disconnects (lights rushing in and getting free headshot kills) was Over powering.

Russ tweeted back and said, "We at PGI have been working hard to roll out the next big Nerf bat to counter this grave and Over powering style of play, and are proud to present to you players that whined about it long enough, Nerf 122,502 2.5 in this patch."

And,

"This new grid design should "balance" players from knowing to much about the map, and confuse them so they do not use team work to roll stomp you any longer."

And,

"We do have an exciting new mech pack for sale, The Cyclopes has increased sensor range allowing players to not need the battle grid any longer and for a limited time we won't nerf it."

******nerfs incoming 2 weeks after the Cyclopes hits for C-bills, no refunds will be given on any mech packs once they are nerfed into the ground for "balance" reasons.*****

Please stayed tuned for our next pre-order mech pack coming "very soon tm."

Disclaimer: The Quoted statements in this post are completely fictional, but could be true depending on who you ask. ****** Please don't Judge me

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 24 August 2016 - 05:58 AM.

#37 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

It looks good but those of us who don't have great monitors or are visually impaired cannot see the grid anymore. It's basically limited me to calling targets from memory which means I don't because i am usually wrong.

#38 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

IMHO the new minimap became much better. Im surprised that somebody doesn't like it.

#39 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 24 August 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

It looks good but those of us who don't have great monitors or are visually impaired cannot see the grid anymore. It's basically limited me to calling targets from memory which means I don't because i am usually wrong.

I have a BenQ 32" 1440P monitor, everything on high to very high, I still can hardly read the numbers. Grid lines don't bother me as much, but they could be improved with another color to make them more clear. The numbers need to be put in a different color, and one that really shows up. Other then those two issues, I like what I see with the new mini map.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 24 August 2016 - 06:03 AM.

#40 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

If you can't make out the grid number in the time it takes to blink, then the tactical map is useless.

Seriously, get on a snow map and bet your life on a correct grid calls while in battle. No one would. I wasn't even in combat in the Mining Collective and I still wasn't confident enough to make the scouting call at first glance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users