65 replies to this topic

#61 Crushko

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostMercworks, on 04 September 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

I can't even understand what problem it's trying to solve.

I think the whole perceived issue is from the pre Kodiak era, when Dakka was out of fashion and people were complaining that Black Knights can fire 3 LPL/Meds "Alphas" 3-4 times.

Nowadays sustained DPS Builds are very strong in the Meta again, so this whole anti Alpha idea seems to be a bit late at the party.

Edited by Crushko, 06 September 2016 - 09:00 AM.

#62 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 06 September 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

That's still hot compared to SRMs, after all that is 10 extra heat for an alpha that normally generates only 12 heat.

Also, no one will use UAC20s with the 8 second jam chance, you are more likely to see the LBX20/6 SPL build than the 2 UAC20 build, and even then there are better mechs than the Ebjag at brawling.

Edit: After looking at smurfy's unless there is a bug, the difference between live and the PTS should be around 1.52 heat, they should be generating roughly the same heat penalty so I'm gonna have to double check your numbers because that seems very off. Unless you are still talking UAC20s on the Ebjag and not the Boom Jager.

just cheked smurfy my self, indead i was off for the % for dual AC20 on life, it has been ages ago i used them there. but something has changed i think as it was not posible to alpha 3 times with AC40 on life (with 10 DHS)

#63 Vincent Quatermain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:49 PM

View PostDantiger, on 05 September 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

what confuses me about this system is that isn't easier to just nerf heat cap ? the result would be the same, but at least it would force boats to wait for the heat to go down

No, because some weapons have low heat to damage ratios. Do you want the MWO meta to be: take Gauss or spend half the match shut down? Look if you want a turn based BT game, there's one in the works. MWO is a realtime game. Deal with it.

#64 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

well the game has just become PPC/Gauss warrior online again with the nerfing of dps ballistics into the ground

youre going to fire 2-3 PPCs when your heat is low then switch to gauss when your heat is high

super fail pgi. energy draw is an absolutely atrocious system and you should feel ashamed for trying to add another draw system to bandaid the existing draw system of heatscale, which is what you shouldve fixed.

Edited by Khobai, 08 September 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#65 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostCrushko, on 06 September 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

Nowadays sustained DPS Builds are very strong in the Meta again, so this whole anti Alpha idea seems to be a bit late at the party.

Yeah, balance tweaks FTW.

#66 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

I think ED PTS has some merits with longer cooldowns slowing down the fight, I feel though that removing heat sink capacity and just shove heat sinks to purely cooling rate (so we can have true dubs) would have fixed high repeatable alpha strikes. Throw in the locked double tap only on all UAC's and put in proportional jam time to UAC caliber and we're good at this point. The days of laser vomit has faded, SRM bombing is still popular, LRM's still need adjustment so anything beyond a LRM10 is actually worth a damn. Maybe we would do better with a lower heat cap for the boggy man of high repeatable alphas of like 40 with skills still improving it (so we would max out at 48 heat instead of currently where it is as many DHS+10 from skills + 50 base heat cap). I think though 50 with only skills upping heat cap is sufficient, which would make an elited mech have a heat cap of 60. Some laser weapons need to have their range pulled in, maybe put in a stiffer fall off for laser weapons (so it is harder to out trade a IS LL with cERML's). I feel balance atm is pretty close to ideal, pin point might be a bit too powerful on the top side of things, AC5's shake and blind too much as do AC's leading to the same problem of 6xLRM5 mechs, minus the FPS murder mass LRMs cause. Ghost heat does need some tweaks and ED does prevent working around Ghost Heat groupings, as it is, all ED is is ghost heat for all weapon systems linked together instead of certain combinations.

Still feel we should break the golden goose that is Gauss due to GR's are too much bang for their downsides and give it heat, more heat than an AC20 due to that damage plus range plus velocity makes it far more powerful. Yes I know they trade off with being heavy, taking up a lot of slots, and having little ammo per ton, and the GR exploding when critted, but, those don't come into effect until you start having someone being able to out trade you or is up in your face and out of your firing arc.

Also still think we should normalize all ammo to be 200 damage per ton, just like SRM's, just to even things out. And that would buff GR's with an additional 4 shots per ton, because I would just round up for everything for sake of simplicity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users