• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostCD LoreHammer Lord, on 07 September 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

Posted Image

Didn't you hear, these were placed around PGI....

#242 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 07 September 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Posted Image

Didn't you hear, these were placed around PGI....

Posted Image

#243 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

yes but you already agreed that you like to be disagreeable. Consider us to be like the PR People hired to make Hillary appear remotely likable.. and hope we are doing a better job!
Posted Image

FTFY. :P

Any way. I know I'm getting it for nostalgia reasons, however, I don't try to kid my self that it will be any kind of meta monster, it's not. Which is how I usually look at all mechs I get. I get them because I like them personally. Nothing more than that.

If it's anything like the Crab but with ballistics and SRMs then I think I will do just fine with it.

Edited by Coralld, 07 September 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#244 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

You forgot to add pathological liar

#245 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostCoralld, on 07 September 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

FTFY. :P

Any way. I know I'm getting it for nostalgia reasons, however, I don't try to kid my self that it will be any kind of meta monster, it's not. Which is how I usually look at all mechs I get. I get them because I like them personally. Nothing more than that.

If it's anything like the Crab but with ballistics and SRMs then I think I will do just fine with it.

Eh, I find both largely disagreeable, but only one leaves the rest of the developed world in fear of nuclear Armageddon.

#246 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:31 AM

I still think every real year should count as 5 ingame years.

Yes, there is still a good bit of mechs not ingame that are pre-3050 but there is more interesting mechs post-3050.

And alot of those post-3050 era mechs won't have their OG loadouts or main weapons because PGI won't code them in.

But nevermind that, here's a another mech pack...

#247 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

I'm more referring to the Nostalgiaists who are going to flock to it expecting it to be a Meta-Zord because of fond childhood memories... who may or may not be disappointed...but who are basing expectations off of foggy memories of rainbows and unicorns.

I used it pretty heavily in MW3... dual AC10s made it a rapidfire, no heat jackhammer. Highly doubt that will be the case here. So for me, this just largely confirms that Cyclops as the cut off for possible designs for HBS' Battletech, more than anything else.

I certainly hope not. There's a lot of good 3025/2750 designs out there that could still be included, and some of the weight categories could be pretty sparse without the 3050 mechs.

#248 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 07 September 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

I certainly hope not. There's a lot of good 3025/2750 designs out there that could still be included, and some of the weight categories could be pretty sparse without the 3050 mechs.

this is true, though there are plenty of later mechs in those categories. Mostly though, I just don't see any more making it under the deadline for the main game. Focus is Mitch's thing.

#249 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 September 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

Hitboxes are easy... if we go by the Tryhard assertion that only frontal profile matters, it will be the most meta mech in the IS!!! Just look at the Orthos we have been piecing together!

Now if reality sets in and people remotely get a side profile shot on it, or 3/4 profile, or well, anything BUT 100% full frontal? Then it's probably gonna go BOOM real fast.

Probably depends on how well the arms shield. Front on I think it'll be decent. I'm still confused by why the shoulder LRMs seem to have bigger tubes than the arm LRMs. Posted Image

Overall this seems a lot like a different-shaped Wolverine or Shadow Hawk, but without jump jets. Or the SHD's high weapon mounts. But with a narrower front profile, and harder to hit side torso boxes (better for XL engines).

View PostMrEdweird, on 07 September 2016 - 05:27 AM, said:

They don't really have TOO many choices left for interesting mechs till around 3050-3053 for IS.
Most are boring humanoid gundams with nothing special to give. The Bushie™ was a choice I feel they made a long time ago anyways. I would have liked to have it as one of the first available mediums in the game, like 4 years ago, as is tradition with past few MW games.

The Bushwacker has nothing to give. It's basically the same deal as other 55-ton I.S. 'mechs, except the legs bend the wrong way. It's one of a heap of Timber Wolf knock-off 'mechs that came out post-TRO 3050 to cash in on the perceived popularity of the most heavily publicized (and min/maxed stock, which was something of an oddity given FASA's overall approach to 'mech configurations) Clan design.

But there's reams of good stuff still floating around in the earlier era.

For lights there's the Mongoose, Hussar, Flea, and Javelin, all strong options.
  • The Mongoose in particular is a fave of mine, nice light energy boat that's fast and has strong stock armor and cool legs that are really digitipedal (not just reverse knees). Has plenty of canon loadouts that are appropriate to the timeline. It'd also create nice 25 ton alternate to the Commando.
  • The Hussar is a very fast 30-ton recon/sniper with a great, super unique look and some good energy hardpoints. It'd create a heavier armed, non-jumping alternative to the Spider for a recon mech in that weight bracket. It's high torso energy mount could be useful, too.
  • The Javelin has both missile and energy boat loadouts, less fast and more focused on hitting than running. Could be aa solid light-hunting light or hit-and-run ambusher.
  • The Mercury and Thorn don't add a lot, but they look cool and unique. And they help fill out the 20-ton bracket. The Mercury is also quite speedy, and has some good energy loadouts.
  • Arguably the 30-ton Hermes does, too, and it's pretty fast.
  • The Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie, and Firefly add some variety and lots of nostalgia (even if they have some faults in the top speed department).
Mediums, there's a bunch of unused 40-tonners that could be added.
  • The Whitworth isn't very fast, but it's a nice missile boat for fire support or ambush if you're dropweight-conscious.
  • The Assassin is a nostalgia fave, it overlaps quite a bit with the Cicada in role but has great jump range.
  • The Sentinel and Clint are both fast skirmishers/snipers. Sadly the mass-up-and-turtle tendencies of MWO heavily limit the usefulness of that role, as they're otherwise ok designs. The Sentinel could still find some usefulness with high arm mounts, though.
  • The Hermes II is a somewhat more heavily-armed design along the same lines.
  • While not the most-beloved design on TT, the Vulcan has good speed and a bunch of energy hardpoints that could make it a nasty striker in MWO... and I'm sure Alex could figure out something to do with its weird look!
For heavies, the 60-ton bracket is also sparse.
  • The Lancelot is a somewhat obscure 2750 design that's a more energy-based Rifleman, but some of the variants are also quite fast, which could be interesting.
  • The Merlin is a jack-of-trades design with a gun for every purpose that can do pretty much everything the Bushwacker can, plus has jump jets and more energy hardpoints. It's not the best known design, or particularly fast, but it would have some good loadout options.
  • The Ostroc and Ostsol would also be viable. Mainly energy boats, but they have some varied loadouts and good mobility.
  • The Champion is potentially a nostalgia-fave from MW3 again, but canon loadouts are few and not very varied. Still, it's an ok fast skirmisher, and it looks kind of like a sapce shuttle with legs.
Going into the heavier heavies...
  • The Flashman has a lot of overlap with the Black Knight for loadouts, but is potentially faster and has a really weird look that I'm fond of. Might be hard to come up with enough variants, but I'd still like to see it.
  • The 80-ton Thug would also be a cool addition, though it too is a little shy on variants. Very cool looking design, though, and functionally it kind of fits in between the Warhammer and Awesome for mobility and mixed energy/missile firepower, which could make it a good compromise choice.
  • The Crusader is a mech I want in the game just for personal reasons... but with a variety of canon variants, both jumping and non-jumping, and an array of hardpoint types, it would be a nice package for newer players to pick up, too. Lots of ways to potentially outfit, even if the prime has hardpoints like a JM6-A.
And that's not even touching on melee-specific designs or very many of the Wolf's Dragoons specific ones. There's still a lot of good stuff out there, if you actually look for it.

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 07 September 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#250 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

Even if it stinks, I cannot pass up my beloved Bushwhacker any more than I could the UrbanMech.

For those wanting more lights, I point out that PGI seems to be doing the mechs for that other BattleTech game on the horizon and lights have a role there. So we might see more lights just because PGI can sell them to ?{%#&... name redacted by ComStar...*^&@:(&.

#251 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

View PostN0ni, on 07 September 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

It's no longer about timeline, just tech. The precedent has been set. Cougar is not out of the realm of possibility.

Not correct actually current time limit is 3053, any mech made in 3053 or before is fair game. The only stipulation is on the Variants; If the Mech chassis is available any variant that has tech in game can be implemented. Call it field prototype testing variants.

View PostMrEdweird, on 07 September 2016 - 05:27 AM, said:

They don't really have TOO many choices left for interesting mechs till around 3050-3053 for IS.
Most are boring humanoid gundams with nothing special to give. The Bushie™ was a choice I feel they made a long time ago anyways. I would have liked to have it as one of the first available mediums in the game, like 4 years ago, as is tradition with past few MW games.

The mech might be awkward and confusing depending on hardpoints and it probably won't bring anything new to the table.
But PokeMechs is strong with this one. Hopefully, we will hear some good news about the game as a whole in the coming weeks, but as far as F2P games go ... not holding my breath. I've had enough shotbot over the years. I will probably get myself a Wackie™ (seriously, I'm glad the communtiy didn't like Scat for the Shadow Cat) but unless there is some PvE or other development, prolly gonna be the last.

You sure about that? Left it as a list as it would be to much of a pain to edit the list. All 3053 or older.

Spoiler

Edited by Shadowomega1, 07 September 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#252 MrEdweird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:13 AM

You can list off all the mechs you want, and you'd be right to do so, though I'm not sure why you'd spend the time.
If they can make in-game models for these that looks cool - great. But what will be interesting about them?

#253 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 September 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

Squat and wide mechs with chicken legs aren't easy to animate. Mechs that look cool on paper don't necessarily look cool in-game when you actually have to make them move organically without bobbing up and down, and the Bushwacker isn't like the Dire Wolf, which looks silly enough at 55 kph. The Bushwacker needs to move 100+ kph and still look good.

It can't look anything like this:

Posted Image

I tried to fix this, here is the best I could do but I do think it looks better.
Posted Image

#254 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:35 AM

I still don't get how Loose messed up that badly, other than being Loose.

#255 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostMax OConnor, on 08 September 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

I tried to fix this, here is the best I could do but I do think it looks better.
Posted Image

a noble effort but Loose really sold it in on the 3058 TRO

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

I still don't get how Loose messed up that badly, other than being Loose.

considering how many people FASA apparently hadn't got around to paying during that time period (apparently while Stackpole stopped doing novels for them... that or someone finally questioned his abject lack of understanding of physics, combat, etc), and the general preschool scrawling crap that was the 3055 TRO before it, I doubt he felt the need to put out much effort. Though one would almost have to TRY to draw as badly as most of the 3058 TRO was.

#256 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:45 AM

IDK I like the IS Omnis and some of the Star League stuff he did (granted that was TRO 3058U). But yeah you can tell what the rush jobs are.

But let's face it, the TROs are always a grabbag of decent to awful art (not counting Plog's attempts to reimagine stuff).

#257 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 07 September 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

• The Flashman has a lot of overlap with the Black Knight for loadouts, but is potentially faster and has a really weird look that I'm fond of. Might be hard to come up with enough variants, but I'd still like to see it.
  • The 80-ton Thug would also be a cool addition, though it too is a little shy on variants. Very cool looking design, though, and functionally it kind of fits in between the Warhammer and Awesome for mobility and mixed energy/missile firepower, which could make it a good compromise choice.
  • The Crusader is a mech I want in the game just for personal reasons... but with a variety of canon variants, both jumping and non-jumping, and an array of hardpoint types, it would be a nice package for newer players to pick up, too. Lots of ways to potentially outfit, even if the prime has hardpoints like a JM6-A.

Take a gander at the various Chargers.

#258 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

IDK I like the IS Omnis and some of the Star League stuff he did (granted that was TRO 3058U). But yeah you can tell what the rush jobs are.

But let's face it, the TROs are always a grabbag of decent to awful art (not counting Plog's attempts to reimagine stuff).

Plog did his best, but in most cases he wasn't really allowed to reimagine anything, not like Alex has. If you look at the TRO 3055 U for instance, all the bad designs features are still there, missing knees, hips, etc. But at least the art quality was a ton better... even if the designs were still terribad, in most cases.

Also Loose didn't design the IS Omnis, those were just based off the color panels from the original.

Funnily enough, of the Clan Invasion and later era, the 3055 TRO is actually my favorite, mostly because it was the last of the non "MetaMech" TROs.

#259 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:21 AM

Looks cool. Can't wait till it goes on sale.

#260 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

Plog did his best, but in most cases he wasn't really allowed to reimagine anything, not like Alex has. If you look at the TRO 3055 U for instance, all the bad designs features are still there, missing knees, hips, etc. But at least the art quality was a ton better... even if the designs were still terribad, in most cases.

Also Loose didn't design the IS Omnis, those were just based off the color panels from the original.

Funnily enough, of the Clan Invasion and later era, the 3055 TRO is actually my favorite, mostly because it was the last of the non "MetaMech" TROs.

idk the mechs of 3075 and 3085 have a lot of duds.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users