So It's The Bushwacker! Are You Going To Buy It Yes Or No, And Why Or Why Not?

BattleMechs

386 replies to this topic

#61 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

I can play the Bushwhacker right now for free in MechWarrior 3. I'll spend $40-60 on a new game first.

#62 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:46 AM

View PostDavers, on 07 September 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

Non XL friendly IS medium mech coinciding with the return of quad PPC friendly mechs? I think I will pass.

Mechs with torsi shaped like the Wacker are usually XL friendly when staring head on. Only from the sides it shows weakness.

#63 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:47 AM

I like that the new Bushwacker is in game. Despite the complaints on design, I still think it looks good and it looks like a Bushwacker to me.

Will I buy it? That remains to be seen. I honestly haven't been playing much and I have been kind of distancing myself from MWO (even the forum due to it's toxicity). That might be why you don't see me post too often anymore.

Really, I think I'd do better to avoid it. No point in putting money into a game I only play on rare occasions. Who knows, maybe by I'll get a third wind with this game (or is it fourth?) and I'll buy the Bushwacker to give me a new level up goal. As it is now, I think I'll pass.

#64 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,065 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:49 AM

nah. release it with some new weapons, and maybe. next month us alaskans get a wad of cash for putting up with out crappy state. % going to pgi this year: 0. its ok, we also just legalized weed and it goes on sale soonish.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 September 2016 - 02:50 AM.

#65 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:54 AM

I'm sure I'll crack and buy it eventually, but the last mechs I bought for real money were the Mauler (good), the Kodiak (stonktastic), the Archer (terrible) and the Cyclops (fairly terrible). I just don't seem to get on with IS stuff. Too slow and under-gunned with STD engines. Too explodey with XL engines.

I should probably just stick to fast Clan heavies. What a noob.

Edited by The Amazing Atomic Spaniel, 07 September 2016 - 02:55 AM.

#66 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:13 AM

View PostvisionGT4, on 07 September 2016 - 02:34 AM, said:

the non easymode packs?

Which is? I mean I've bought a lot of packs recently... I just missed out on most of the IS and the viper. Got the marauder, urbie, resistence and clan waves, kodiak, etc...

#67 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:14 AM

No, i think i can at least build anything that mech will offer with some of my existing mechs. No skins needed here. Some content would be fine.

#68 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:23 AM

Weapon placement, variety, and number of mounts will determine if this mech is DOA. With lights no longer being viable in FW due to the size change and loss of quirks (and clan streaks destroying IS lights), Mediums and heavies are all that are left to the IS. IF this mech has enough high weapons mounts, I would buy it. However I suspect it will have the normal low mounted, poorly placed single weapon mounts. Basically a bigger vindicator and just as useless.

#69 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:27 AM

Buying it. Anytime a company adds something to their game celebrating one of the most entertaining tag teams in WWF history, you need to support it.

(That is why it's being added, correct?) :P

Edited by ccrider, 07 September 2016 - 04:29 AM.

#70 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostGallien Krueger, on 06 September 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

Every mech I have pre-ordered in the last 4 months other than one variant of the Kodiak have been total crap, so no I am done paying for garbage.

Sorry, but it's the Kodiak (exp KDK-3) that is over the top not other mechs that are garbage.
Cyclops is certainly not garbage.

#71 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:48 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 07 September 2016 - 04:45 AM, said:

Sorry, but it's the Kodiak (exp KDK-3) that is over the top not other mechs that are garbage.
Cyclops is certainly not garbage.

KDK-3 is still over the top?... eh. beats me for the fact I never ran 4 UAC 10's on mine or the Direwolf... I just slapped two LBX 20's. Better alpha for lower heat and so satisfying to hear it fire and see mechs drop.

#72 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:50 AM

Nah It can't do what my MW4 bushwacker can do. Oh yeah and esports lol.

#73 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,927 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:15 AM

I just remember the Bushwacker from MW3 being the first mission mech that I couldn't wait to get out of because it seemed like it had 1 of every type of weapon and it didn't do anything well. I can't imagine why it would be any better here.
Plus, it seems like the IS already has too dang many under-performing 55 ton mechs already.

That, and this is one of the first times that I ever remember thinking that the MWO version of a mech looks worse than the original iterations.

Different strokes for different folks. I'll pass. Again.

Edited by Bud Crue, 07 September 2016 - 05:15 AM.

#74 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:32 AM

No. I already have 200 possible ways to mount the same 16 weapons that this game has.

#75 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:58 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 07 September 2016 - 02:25 AM, said:

IDK about you but that ballistic arm is just as short in these images as it is in the concept art... the CT looks very similar and everything else, just the missile arm sticks out furhter more on some of these making a more asymmetrical mech. TBH I think the concept art is quite close, my only disapointment is they didn't go further away from the original enough (ie: go more MW4 route).... wow, that's the first time I've ever said that with alex... then again- I also said it for the kodiak... okay. 2 mechs.

But anyway, tbh I think it's pretty spot on. Then again this is coming from the view of someone not really exposed to the old concept art... probably someone will try to assassinate me in my sleep because it is missing this bend here or it's standing to tall or maybe the arm should be straight...

Concept is close to the source, with the eception of where legomech dynamic weapons rear their ugly heads (like that bulky clunky square laser). The manipulator claw and the sidecar AC10 were always the weak links of the original aesthetic, and one I wish Alex had cleaned up some, maybe a little more along these lines
Posted Image
or even by putting the ac barrel in the center of the "claw and making the claw larger and more functional.

Beyond that, I think, the orthos would have looked better with scissor knees, but that is a subjective preference, and not one MWO has followed even on mechs that traditionally had them, like the Scat.

View PostDavers, on 07 September 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

Non XL friendly IS medium mech coinciding with the return of quad PPC friendly mechs? I think I will pass.

going to be hard to call on the XL. Crab is surprisingly survivable with one (or was...admittedly, been months since I played my Crabs... or anything , tbh).

And if you listen to Fup, Deathlike and MickeyG18, only the 2D frontal silhouette matters anyhow, apparently nobody ever takes shots from the side or 3/4 profiles, in Complandia.

View PostStone Wall, on 07 September 2016 - 02:42 AM, said:

I can play the Bushwhacker right now for free in MechWarrior 3. I'll spend $40-60 on a new game first.

And it's actually a solid mech in MW3. Of course... with unlimited customization, everything can be made to work in MW3.

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 02:46 AM, said:

Mechs with torsi shaped like the Wacker are usually XL friendly when staring head on. Only from the sides it shows weakness.

good thing nobody ever flanks or ambushes mechs in MWO, so one can always count on that frontal profile to take the shot!

#76 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:00 AM

I'm pretty nostalgic for the Bushwhacker which has earned PGI my wallet in the past. But now I'm unhappy with PGI mostly because we've had 13 friggin' 'mech releases in a row and not a single one of them has been a light. They've ignored an entire weight class for over a year now. I refuse to continue supporting this kind of behavior. They will release more lights and do it soon or my wallet will never open again, no matter how bad I like the Bushwhacker. Will not be buying.

#77 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:02 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

good thing nobody ever flanks or ambushes mechs in MWO, so one can always count on that frontal profile to take the shot!

If people can run XL Marauders with success, and they do, then XL Bushwacker is totally feasible. It will have either Marauder level big STs from the sides, which means it will be very easy to twist damage due to small CT, or with big CT like the Catapult, which means it will be very XL friendly, even from the sides. Either way, a competent pilot will be able to run this with XL no prob.

#78 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:05 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 September 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

I just remember the Bushwacker from MW3 being the first mission mech that I couldn't wait to get out of because it seemed like it had 1 of every type of weapon and it didn't do anything well. I can't imagine why it would be any better here.
Plus, it seems like the IS already has too dang many under-performing 55 ton mechs already.

That, and this is one of the first times that I ever remember thinking that the MWO version of a mech looks worse than the original iterations.

Different strokes for different folks. I'll pass. Again.

I just slapped twin AC10s on mine and it was solid until I captured a clan Nova. Then it was slap 10 IS Mlasers on it, and chainfire everything's legs off.

View PostThe Potatoe Whisperer, on 07 September 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

No. I already have 200 possible ways to mount the same 16 weapons that this game has.

now that would make a good tweet to Russ, lol.

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 06:02 AM, said:

If people can run XL Marauders with success, and they do, then XL Bushwacker is totally feasible. It will have either Marauder level big STs from the sides, which means it will be very easy to twist damage due to small CT, or with big CT like the Catapult, which means it will be very XL friendly, even from the sides. Either way, a competent pilot will be able to run this with XL no prob.

Posted Image

#79 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:11 AM

Just my 2 cents ... :)

Nope, I won't be buying it ... I have a lot of mechs and the ones I buy either fill a gap in my line up (Marauder IIC gave me a second clan assault chassis for example) ... or have a particular appeal for one reason or another.

Also, it will be the 5th IS 55 ton mech ... adding to the Wolverine, Griffin, Kintaro and Shadow Hawk. Do the IS really need another 55 ton medium? How will this one be distinguished from the 25 other 55 ton IS mechs?

On the other hand, Bishop's request for the Crusader (65 tons ... 3 existing mechs with 18 variants) and Charger (80 tons ... also 3 existing mechs with 18 variants) are also in weight classes with good representation BUT still less than the 55 ton class.

The main reason for choosing this mech then would appear to be fan appeal. Time will tell how well this one sells.

#80 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:13 AM

Nope.

Loved it in mw3's campaign.

But.

Too broad an array of available loadouts mean it willnot get the meta makeover that some mechs get.

Which, is a bloody good thing. Yet because of this, a shadowhawk will do all those things you'd want from a 55t mech with mixed hardpoints.

The wacker will just be hamstrung by being low slung.

Dead on arrival is my prediction.

Now if we had to run stock mechs, then, and only then, would it be worth it as something different.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users