So It's The Bushwacker! Are You Going To Buy It Yes Or No, And Why Or Why Not?

BattleMechs

386 replies to this topic

#81 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

View Postchewie, on 07 September 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

Nope.

Loved it in mw3's campaign.

But.

Too broad an array of available loadouts mean it willnot get the meta makeover that some mechs get.

Which, is a bloody good thing. Yet because of this, a shadowhawk will do all those things you'd want from a 55t mech with mixed hardpoints.

The wacker will just be hamstrung by being low slung.

Dead on arrival is my prediction.

Now if we had to run stock mechs, then, and only then, would it be worth it as something different.

IMO it's not as much the spread of weapon type,s as the actual spread of weapon locations that hampers it. 2 missiles? No issue... 1 in the torso and 1 in the arm? More of one unless you are an Armlock Ranger.

But meta rangers will probably ignore the arms and missiles anyhow, and swap something like 2 UAC5s into the Sts and either an ERLL or LPL into the CT.

Viva Meta Gunbags!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 September 2016 - 06:19 AM.

#82 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:23 AM

Russ Bullock: Yes, the next mech will be an IS Mech and you will like it.

--> Bushwacker

Me: No, absolutely not.
The mech was between mediocre to completely irrelevant in BattletechTT, in the storys it was always on the loosing side and it was a starters mech in MW3.
It's not an iconic mech like the still missing Crusader, Wasp, Stinger and Valkyrie, it has no relevance in Battletech Lore and even in MW3 it was only something that you sold as fast as you could to buy a viable mech and some better weaponry.

EFFIN NOPosted Image

#83 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 07 September 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

Russ Bullock: Yes, the next mech will be an IS Mech and you will like it.

--> Bushwacker

Me: No, absolutely not.
The mech was between mediocre to completely irrelevant in BattletechTT, in the storys it was always on the loosing side and it was a starters mech in MW3.
It's not an iconic mech like the still missing Crusader, Wasp, Stinger and Valkyrie, it has no relevance in Battletech Lore and even in MW3 it was only something that you sold as fast as you could to buy a viable mech and some better weaponry.

EFFIN NOPosted Image

heck, I can't even remember one "notable" pilot in any of the novels...maybe a two bit Katrina Steiner or Black Dragon stooge, or something.

#84 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 07 September 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

ACTUALLY the Bushwacker is on the winning side in that Kathil book.

#85 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:30 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 September 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

ACTUALLY the Bushwacker is on the winning side in that Kathil book.

so winning you could just pop the pilots name and his contributions right off the top of your head, right?

Also, define "Kathil" book, please?

#86 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

View PostMawai, on 07 September 2016 - 06:11 AM, said:

Just my 2 cents ... Posted Image

Nope, I won't be buying it ... I have a lot of mechs and the ones I buy either fill a gap in my line up (Marauder IIC gave me a second clan assault chassis for example) ... or have a particular appeal for one reason or another.

Also, it will be the 5th IS 55 ton mech ... adding to the Wolverine, Griffin, Kintaro and Shadow Hawk. Do the IS really need another 55 ton medium? How will this one be distinguished from the 25 other 55 ton IS mechs?

On the other hand, Bishop's request for the Crusader (65 tons ... 3 existing mechs with 18 variants) and Charger (80 tons ... also 3 existing mechs with 18 variants) are also in weight classes with good representation BUT still less than the 55 ton class.

The main reason for choosing this mech then would appear to be fan appeal. Time will tell how well this one sells.

only reason I post those is they are chassis with multiple non made up, tech and timeline available variants. I'm tired of PGI making mechpacks with liek..1 real canon variant, and a half dozen PGI specials... especially since it not only hurts the chances of actual canon mechs getting added, but in cases like the Marauder IIC, etc, will come back to haunt us again on the slim chance PGI ever does do advance tech, since there is little impetus for them to revisit old mechs packs to add lore correct versions outside of the occasional trickle of annual loyalty mechs.

My preference would have been for an IS 40 tonner (Assassin or Vulcan) or even a Light Mech, but I am relatively certain Light Mechs are a dead end for PGI in their current sales model.

#87 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

so winning you could just pop the pilots name and his contributions right off the top of your head, right?

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize contradicting that "always on the losing side" point required the pilot to be memorable.

Her contributions. She's that bushwacker that that insane Falconer pilot focuses on and loses the battle for the 8th Fedcom during the start of the Fedcom civil war.

And who cares what the name of the book was. Just more bad pulp fiction. It's the one where the microwave dish falls on the pro-Katrina general.

#88 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 September 2016 - 06:34 AM, said:

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize contradicting that "always on the losing side" point required the pilot to be memorable.

Her contributions. She's that bushwacker that that insane Falconer pilot focuses on and loses the battle for the 8th Fedcom during the start of the Fedcom civil war.

And who cares what the name of the book was. Just more bad pulp fiction. It's the one where the microwave dish falls on the pro-Katrina general.

I believe the point that was being made (and the Basilisk can correct me) is that end of the day, generalizations aside, there are no noteworthy examples of it in lore. They pop up here and there, just liek a Clint or other whoopty do specials.

I guess they could make a Hero out of whoever piloted the Wacker in the cartoon.

But hey, keep posting memes and insulting people instead of contributing.

#89 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Sergeant Amanda from the novel, "Flashpoint", by Coleman.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 September 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#90 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

I believe the point that was being made (and the Basilisk can correct me) is that end of the day, generalizations aside, there are no noteworthy examples of it in lore. They pop up here and there, just liek a Clint or other whoopty do specials.

I guess they could make a Hero out of whoever piloted the Wacker in the cartoon.

But hey, keep posting memes and insulting people instead of contributing.

Because whining about not getting what you want is contributing.

Uh oh, the slide to arguments and hurt feelings has begun. Let's keep up the passive aggressiveness!

#91 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

I've spent so much time in Heavies and Assaults I no longer remember how to Medium so I'll likely pass until they're out for Cbills.

#92 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostRaso, on 07 September 2016 - 06:41 AM, said:

I've spent so much time in Heavies and Assaults I no longer remember how to Medium so I'll likely pass until they're out for Cbills.

How to Medium? It's easy. Just imagine you are in a Heavy that has orange armor everywhere and lost half its firepower. ;)

#93 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:46 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

How to Medium? It's easy. Just imagine you are in a Heavy that has orange armor everywhere and lost half its firepower. Posted Image

Yeah that's sure how it feels when I'm in my Griffins....

#94 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 07 September 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Because whining about not getting what you want is contributing.
Let's keep up the passive aggressiveness!

Yes, because giving Russ feedback good or bad, is not helpful, got it.

As for passive aggressive' lol, I bow to the king of that, your Lordship.

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

Sergeant Amanda from the novel, "Flashpoint", by Coleman.

I'm sure that was right on the top of your memory too, right? Or top of a PDF? Posted Image

As for the Hero, probably Valten Ryder, from the 1st Somerset Strikers, judging by "special paint".

#95 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

I'm sure that was right on the top of your memory too, right? Or top of a PDF? Posted Image

I checked the rank of the character as well as the name of the author. I knew the character's and novel's names by heart.

#96 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

View Postchewie, on 07 September 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

Nope.

Loved it in mw3's campaign.

But.

Too broad an array of available loadouts mean it willnot get the meta makeover that some mechs get.

Which, is a bloody good thing. Yet because of this, a shadowhawk will do all those things you'd want from a 55t mech with mixed hardpoints.

The wacker will just be hamstrung by being low slung.

Dead on arrival is my prediction.

Now if we had to run stock mechs, then, and only then, would it be worth it as something different.

It's true that the BSW is extremely unlikely to be the next metamech. For those that are always looking for the greener grass they can probably safely skip it.

I've liked it since my TT days when I first saw it, though. I could afford to be superficial with mechs, because I always customized the crap out of them. Things like stock hardpoint locations weren't much of a consideration.

Anyway, I might go for this one out of nostalgia, which is pretty much the only reason to get it. I've already said this was one of the few remaining IS mechs they could tempt me with. So provided they don't butcher the look of it and what hardpoint inflation it gets I might get it.

#97 Plastic Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

View PostCabusha, on 06 September 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

Nope. Game is really turning stale and new mechs isn't going to fix that.

Stale? I'm a console convert...and COD is the ultimate masochists 'stale' game. 8 games at $70 (with DLC more like $140) of the same ol' pew-pew. The 'magic slide' and anti-grav jumps and the less than stellar upcoming Infinite Warfare made me want to hurl.

NOW...Where is my Urby Hero Mech??? Who needs a weedwhacker when they can give us an Urby?Posted Image

Note: Ok...I'll settle for a Locust IIC....but's it's got to come in pink...Posted Image

Plastic Guru

#98 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 September 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

Yes, because giving Russ feedback good or bad, is not helpful, got it.

As for passive aggressive' lol, I bow to the king of that, your Lordship.

Oh please, at the very least I'm belligerently aggressive.

#99 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

I checked the rank of the character as well as the name of the author. I knew the character's and novel's names by heart.

that probably marks you as one of the 4-5 on the forums who do. Not really the sign of noteworthy. I admit, I found the novel itself, meh, so really can't recall much beyond the broad strokes.

View Postdervishx5, on 07 September 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

Oh please, at the very least I'm belligerently aggressive.

or maybe that's passively belligerent?

#100 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

A year ago, I would have with out question, but now... I'm glad to see a mech that I enjoyed in both MW3 and TT here, but with out anything other than team death-match Solaris VII, I'm just not going to bite.

47 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users